How could MSC improve - your perspective?

Skipper Tim

Actually we never experienced poor English from Asian staff (including MSC), except on HAL. Maybe it was just our luck with HAL, we did have many various issues during our only cruise with that line...

OK, doing my best imitation of you know who .... Sailing away on beautiful Poesia I was so happy not to be on Eurodam. LOL. Not. I was just happy to be on Poesia. :D

My point isn't "MSC is great, best, etc.". My point is they are great for my family and me, because of our interests, knowledge, culture & fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

That sounds much better!

Something is great for you.

Who would argue?

But if you going to compare ships please keep your facts straight.:)

I also have complaints about MSC.

Once on Musica, for breakfast I ordered "cold meat plate". I got a glass of cold milk. It was a disaster (because of waiter's bad English), we went to Public Relation Manager, told the story. In the night she sent us bottle of sparkling wine, some canapés and a letter of excuse.

I would never go to PRM for that reason.

Just my opinion.

I agree, and it would be great to have a concept of entertainment that is acceptable for every single passenger on the ship. Is it possible? No.

If you go on Aida, you will notice that everything, or mostly everything is in German language, even a great part of music and entertainment shows. Restaurants are themed for German market. Ships are beautifully simple and clean. Are you ready to cruise with them?

With your attitude, I'm sure that you are not.

What does it mean "acceptable for every single passenger"?

Language is not a valid factor of acceptability for me.

Professionally done - that's important.

Live music on the stage (not prerecorded trash), nice voices, great dancers... I don't care about languages.

I don't expect any problems with food on Aida.

My attitude? what do know about my attitude!:eek:

No, I am not ready to cruise with them.

Reason: ship design and amenities inadequate to other (much better) options.

Maybe it was just our luck with HAL, we did have many various issues during our only cruise with that line...

No, I think it is just a general problem of theirs; I also had various issues on my two cruises with HAL.

Would I cruise with them again; yes, but their "A Signature of Excellence" IMHO is nothing more than false advertising and so I would not consider them at their current pricing - perhaps that is why the HAL boards are littered with beyond believable up-sell opportunities.

Basically I agree. But... Did you ask yourself why almost every American's (with full respect for Americans) dream is to visit Europe? On the other side, did you ask yourself why almost every American (with full respect for Americans) is trying to reshape Europeans and their routines to American habits, manners and system of values? It's not comparable.

I won't discuss that.

I discuss cruising.

The only nationality I know is cruising society.

Europe is a cradle of civilization.

What else?

Ocean liners (Titanic, Bremen, Normandie, Queen Mary - all European) taken together - a cradle of cruising civilization.

The Queen Mary 2 - an ocean liner built to demonstrate that cruising civilization is still alive.

"Habits, manners and system of values" of cruising civilization LIVE - welcome to take a look.:)

If you don't like MSC

It's not possible to like or dislike the whole cruise line.

I "don't like' MSC.

I also don't like, for instance, RCI, HAL, Princess...

These three cruise lines operate very different ships - from excellent to not so excellent.

I like ships, not cruise lines.

What I don't like is ersatz products.

If MSC offers a product that is comparable with best available options - I will cruise on that ship with pleasure!

I am not afraid of multiple languages and I like good food, I mean good food.:)

For me it is fascinating how many Japanese people are on MSC ships. In last two years number of Japanese people is every time bigger and bigger.

I'm wondering do they have problem with cold water and coffee.

MSC also has an ever growing following in China, as in the traditional Chinese spring festival period (late Jan to Feb), only MSC and Costa offering sailings in the Med region.

Both Chinese and Japanese (at least the more traditional, 50 somethings) prefer to have hot tea and water with their meals. My mates told me on MSC spring sailings, they were served cold water from the jugs every night and also thermo flasks in the cabin for them to make their own teas.

Younger generation tends to be more open, they will prefer to order specialty drinks, wine or even bottled water.

As far as I know, never heard any local Chinese chose Costa over MSC in other seasons because of the water issue.

If MSC offers a product that is comparable with best available options - I will cruise on that ship with pleasure!

I am not afraid of multiple languages and I like good food, I mean good food.:)

So, thanks for showing us one of the "obvious" reasons why you dislike (or like) MSC. My perception of good food and your perception of the same thing, are they same?

This topic is about experiences of previous MSC cruisers. And about what can be improved by MSC. Did you cruise with MSC before? If you was on MSC before, tell us, please, your experiences. If you wasn't, let us know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's not possible to like or dislike the whole cruise line.

I "don't like' MSC.

What I don't like is ersatz products.

So! If company has so many passengers on their cruise ships in one year, so many great itineraries and it's recognized by the business as third in the world, it is ersatz company because you think so! OK!

Please cruise with the best available options, but please, try to involve yourself in "whatever best available option cruise company" part of CC forum and read experiences of their ex guests, and their mistakes. Or their service, or their food. And then I will ask you what is "genuine" cruise company?

I already asked, who set the rules about cruising? And what company is " genuine" cruise company? Speaking in your way, it seems to me that every cruise company is ersatz company. Of something!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DTL ... I do not know if you are aware but only those people from Germany or those that speak German are allowed to cruise on Aida ships,although if you are with someone who speaks German then you are also allowed to cruise with them.

Everything on their ships including menu`s is in German.

DTL ... I do not know if you are aware but only those people from Germany or those that speak German are allowed to cruise on Aida ships,although if you are with someone who speaks German then you are also allowed to cruise with them.

Everything on their ships including menu`s is in German.

This is not true anymore. I have several friends who cruised on Aida (and some will be cruising this winter in Caribbeans). They do not speak German. Even their English is somewhat limited. Aida now even has some Eastern European staff at reception.

Thanks for your reply Tatka,

I called MSC and they sent me a copy of their "SEA DAY " itinerary for entertainment.. in my opinion, it just looks a little thin....

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g324/Vicguine/Picture6.png

I am talking about evening entertainment.

Every night aside from production show in the main theater there were 5-6 musical performers. What I likes

During the day I can recall

- Some trivia. It is a bit tricky with so many languages, but was fun, especially language trivia

- Lectures about the region. We had 4 during our 7 dayer to W.Carib, and this is rare on modern ships.

- Regular ice and vegetable carvings

- Music by the pool. Sometimes kids from kids club were singing (Very cute)

- Competitions and games by the pool.

- Sports competitions

- Bingo by the pool

- Tropical night was amazing

I cannot say entertainment was lacking in comparison with other major lines. I think North American pax prefer more various shows in the main theater, but I don't see how hypnotist or standup comedian would work due to the language diversity of the passengers.

I have just arrived in the UK from Greece and my head is spinning with the recent contributions to this thread. I can see that Cruisetrail is successfully winding everyone up.

Let us rise above provocation and get on with a semi-serious discussion!

Tired but able,

Tim.

I cannot stand anything that purports to be something that it isn't and let's be honest when Cunard, Costa and Holland America sold themselves to Carnival, they sold their cultural identities and heritage as well. MSC does not purport to be anything but Italian; they offer a cruise experience that has not been bastardised by corporate America and this is why I believe they will grow from strength to strength in the coming years.

They do not need the North American market as their ships already boom in South America, South Africa and the Mediterranean; it just makes business sense to want to try and get more slices of the pie and I think it is commendable how they try and accommodate North Americans with their free water, free coffee and those bloody towel animals; while maintaining true to their identity.

MSC is teaching the cruise industry how to bespoke themselves for the regions they will be travelling to vs maintaining the same Disney Land product irrespective of where they are. They are revising a bygone experience by ditching the Vegas style interiors and keeping to a much more tasteful, what I like to call Art Deco Nuevo style. Staff who know their station and officers who are familia; second and third generations of founding crew bring a feeling of "familia" vs stock price and politics

And then there are the fellow passengers; on HAL I found a good deal of them overly pretentious, which I thought was funny because the Nieuw Amsterdam was far from a five star experience for me - I would rate it an average four stars. I have met the most wonderful people on MSC, no aires or graces, no pretension, just good people being able to sit back and have a laugh with no fear that they not conforming to the model.

So in essence; MSC is real and proud if it.

I am sure you will forgive me for transplanting your post here, Duane. It certainly deserves another airing.

You touched upon a sensitive spot, pretentious vs. not pretentious. I have encountered this in life too. It divides countries and cultures.

I think the kindest thing to do is to send all the pretentious to Australia and let them meet their natural fate or rehabilitation.

T :)

This is not true anymore. I have several friends who cruised on Aida (and some will be cruising this winter in Caribbeans). They do not speak German. Even their English is somewhat limited. Aida now even has some Eastern European staff at reception.

Just curious, how did they book their cruise? Can't find any major US TA taking AiDA bookings myself.

I am sure you will forgive me for transplanting your post here, Duane. It certainly deserves another airing.

You touched upon a sensitive spot, pretentious vs. not pretentious. I have encountered this in life too. It divides countries and cultures.

I think the kindest thing to do is to send all the pretentious to Australia and let them meet their natural fate or rehabilitation.

T :)

My mom used to tell me that Australia was where the Empire kept the "Exiles"... (no offense, my mom was a history teacher and loves to remind us)

Thanks, hope to hear how do they fare ;)

They are not the first. I've already read some reviews. They are mostly from FSU, but know English better than German. They said that while entertainment was in German, they did not have any problems communicating with staff in English. Unfortunately reviews are in Russian, so there is no point of posting them here.

Although experience is different from MSC and other mass market, they liked it a lot.

Archived