I wanna hear horror stories of getting left at port

For our upcoming trip, I would like to save some money and do our own excursion in Cozumel, but my DH wants to just stick with Carnival's excursion to be safe. He's afraid of something happening and us not getting back to the ship and getting left behind. I'm thinking that I'm sure that happens occassionally but not that often. However there are 4 of us (a child, and an elderly dad), so it's not just the 2 of us to think about.

So anyways, have you ever been left at the port? What was involved with you getting back to the ship or home? Is my DH being smart about this?

We've never been left but we spoke to someone who had. While on a cruise a couple years ago we made a stop in Cozumel. The couple who were left went by island time instead of ship's time so they were late getting to the ship. They actually saw the ship sailing away. They decided to hire a speed boat to run them out to the ship where they climbed aboard. When asked if they were scared about the situation they simply replied, "It was great. I'd do it again in a minute!"

I guess we all get our excitement in different ways! :D

Of all the ports, Cozumel is one of the best and easiest ones to do on your own. Just keep your watch on ship's time and go for it. I have always done this port on my own, rented a Jeep and explored the island twice, taken a taxi to a beach bar and back, and done the Bar Hop Bus.

We ported in Cozumel on our honeymoon cruise. We did the Passion Island by Twister excursion. We booked with the ship. When the time came to take the boat ride back to the port, a storm was brewing and the seas were choppy. It took much, much longer to get back. We were late but the ship waited as it was a Carnival excursion.

On another of our cruises, a couple on our roll-call took an independant diving excursion in Belize. The boat that they were on broke down and they had to wait a long time for another boat to show up and retrieve them. Due to their delay, they missed the last tender back to the ship. The boat that came to rescue them from their tour, raced right up to the ship. They made it within 5 minutes of us leaving Belize. The scary thing was that their son did not go on the excursion and was aboad the ship.

In all of our cruises we've only taken 1 ship sponsored excursion and that was in Belize. We've never had any problems getting back in time. My only caution would be if you are taking an excursion that involves travel far away from the ship, ie Cozumel to Tulem, then I would recommend a ship sponsored tour.

We almost always book our own excursions independent of the cruiseline. Costs less, not as crowded and usually better experience all around. We have never (knock on wood) missed the ship. However, you need to do your homework. Only book with tour operators that have been recommended on CC or trip advisor, always stay on ships time (don't rely on a cell phone for time-it's usually on island time), and get back to the port within sight of the ship at least 90 minutes before sailaway.

In all of our cruises we've only taken 1 ship sponsored excursion and that was in Belize. We've never had any problems getting back in time. My only caution would be if you are taking an excursion that involves travel far away from the ship, ie Cozumel to Tulem, then I would recommend a ship sponsored tour.

My personal rule of thumb for excursions is that if my independent excursion is difficult for me to get back on my own due to unforeseen cirucmstances -ie. far boat rides that may break down, hiking volcanos etc, I prefer to take the ships excursion due to that added risk. Or if the port is particularly dangerous or we have a very short time in port. In my 8 cruises, I have gone from doing ships excursions 100% to about 10% or less. On y last two cruises, we did ithings on our own. Sometimes you have to do the ship's excursion if a vendor has exclusive rights with the ship. for example, in Sain John, the zip line (which we did not do) was reserved exclusively for the ship's excursion.

We have never taken a ship excursion, but we are also anal about being on time to things. We typically get back to the ship 90 to 120 minutes before we are scheduled to leave.

It is nice to get back, cool off / clean up, then go out and watch sail away.

I am sorry but cannot remember which channel had a show "Left Behind in a Foreign Contry" with no passport, money or papers. No I did not watch it and I don't want to be one that does that either.

Cozumel is small and convenient enough to go with an outside company or even explore by yourself. Even if you are on the other end of the island, you can find cabs to take you back to port. As long as you watch the time, you should be fine.

You can go on your own in Cozumel. We have taken a taxi to Chankanaab park for the last two Cozumel cruises. I would go back in a minute. Cost about $7-9 each way for taxi and $25 to get in the park. Food incredible. Snorkeling amazing. Even caught a sea lion show. We told the taxi van driver when to come get us, he was right on time, made it back in time to shop a bit, no problems.

Coz is probably the easiest port to do on your own, its kinda like going to Daytona. ALWAYS make it the goal to be in that line to embark with at least 30 min before the All Aboard time, or at least that's what we do.

I agree with the previous poster. I think Senor Frogs is where they all end up!

Having said that, I have tried booking tours through other companies. When I booked thru priceline or shoreexcursionsgroup.com, we had a great trip. Others, we did not get what we were promised. But the ones I have booked with RCCL, CCL, and DCL all turned out to be some of the most memorable excursions I have ever taken. Some excursions you MUST absolutely book through the Cruise Line (as in, they buy up all the reservations. This literally happened to us! But it worked out because they made sure they had 3 spots for us. We paid about $20 more pp but they arranged a private ferry to pick up just their cruisers and we were the first to arrive on the island. So upcharged? Yes. Would I do it again? In a new york second!)

I am sorry but cannot remember which channel had a show "Left Behind in a Foreign Contry" with no passport, money or papers. No I did not watch it and I don't want to be one that does that either.
Which is the reason we never get off the ship without our passports and a credit card. If the worst were to happen, at least we'd have options.

Which is the reason we never get off the ship without our passports and a credit card. If the worst were to happen, at least we'd have options.

I read on here that you should make photocopies of your passports and take those off the ship with you. How accurate is that?

Anyway OP, never heard of anyone missing the ship but the pier runner videos on youtube will show you the ones that almost got left behind. :p

I rarely book with the cruiseline. I have done it though. Like when we went to Puerto Rico. The Bacardi Rum factory was about 30 minutes one way as I remember and the tour takes an hour or two. So we went through the ship for that.

Oh I agree. At least a copy of the passport and my trusty VISA card.

Go to YouTube and search for pier runners. Hilarious!

This is on youtube I forget the exact title, to Carnival ships are docked on the same pier across from each other but they had different sailing times.

The couple caught in the pier running video hear a time of "last bus back" for the other ship which was leaving after theirs. All you hear in the video is something like "They said last bus 3:30p its not our fault) as the ship sails away.

Just know your be aboard time and your sailing time, there is a sign as you get off the boat as well in the daily newspaper (Fun Times) and you will be OK.

At one cruise meet and greet the Hotel Director told us that you need to get off with 3 things: A passport, a credit card and lastly a camera to take a picture of the ship as it sails away

We've seen many things happen and rope ladders being climbed

Watch YT videos of Cozumel - so funny as people realise they are still on the dock and the ship is gone - there is even one of people walking a piece of wood between the ship and a boat that are both moving.

Here is one of the pilot boat bringing a guy out to the ship in Cozumel

I read on here that you should make photocopies of your passports and take those off the ship with you. How accurate is that?
You can't travel by air with a copy. It will just expedite getting a replacement at the local consulate or embassy. So if you missed the ship, your chance of flying to the next port of call would likely be slim to none. But you'd get home. Eventually.

Tablemates of ours rode the pilot boat to the ship in Cozumel. It was back when you had to tender because the pier was destroyed by a hurricane. They had told their teenaged sons to meet them at the pier at a certain time, but didn't specify where on the pier. The boys waited where you boarded the tenders and the parents were at the other end of the pier where you show your sail & sign card to security. The boys were told that the last tender was leaving, so got on. Mom & Dad were freaking out. They called the ship, and were told the boys weren't aboard, (they were still on that last tender). Finally the ship reported them aboard and they got a ride with the pilot. Dinner was a quiet affair that evening...

for our upcoming trip, i would like to save some money and do our own excursion in cozumel, but my dh wants to just stick with carnival's excursion to be safe. He's afraid of something happening and us not getting back to the ship and getting left behind. I'm thinking that i'm sure that happens occassionally but not that often. However there are 4 of us (a child, and an elderly dad), so it's not just the 2 of us to think about.

So anyways, have you ever been left at the port? What was involved with you getting back to the ship or home? Is my dh being smart about this?

hi----this is from--irene and john---57 cruises on carnival--and 4 more to go------please--please--purchase any tours direct from carnival--only carnival--i won't go into it----but on one trip--we didn't and it was a horror story---the only think that saved us--we were all retired military and knew what to do---so--i repeat----buy the tours from carnival---irene and john--if you want more information---write us on cruise critic -we are known as jugger---

Archived