2 Days in Paris or 1 in both Paris/Spain

We're taking a cruise at the end of September from Barcelona. We've never been to Europe or Spain. We arrive in Paris at 11am on the 24th and were planning on staying 2 nights and then flying to Barcelona on the morning of the 26th. Another option is to leave Paris around 9pm on the 25th and arrive in Barcelona around 10:30pm and then stay the night there and board the ship the next day. The second option would mean we'd have to leave Paris for CDG airport around 5pm and would lose 4 hours or so of exploring Paris by not spending the night. Also, not sure if half a day in Barcelona (considering we'd have our luggage with us after checking out) would be worthwhile. Thoughts on this? Thanks so much.

Tough choice, love both cities. I would focus on being in Barcelona the day before the cruise as my top priority. Would you have a chance to stay in Paris post-cruise?

Kathy

It seems you already bought your tickets to Paris and are now deciding when to go to Barcelona. If so, stay in Paris two nights and fly to Barcelona early the 26th. If you have not bought your tickets, fly to Barcelona on the 24th and stay there until you embark. Do not shortchange either city. You cannot do justice to either city on one short jet-lagged day. Either place deserves a minimum of two nights. And there is always the next trip . . .

It seems you already bought your tickets to Paris and are now deciding when to go to Barcelona. If so, stay in Paris two nights and fly to Barcelona early the 26th. If you have not bought your tickets, fly to Barcelona on the 24th and stay there until you embark. Do not shortchange either city. You cannot do justice to either city on one short jet-lagged day. Either place deserves a minimum of two nights. And there is always the next trip . . .

This! (though I have to say that I LOVE Barcelona and would advise it over Paris if your flight is not yet booked--I'm probably in the minority though).

Thank you all for replying. You make perfect sense, we do not want to short change either city, so we will make it two full days in Paris and plan a return trip for beautiful Barcelona. We had hoped to stay a few days in Barcelona after the cruise buy my employer was not real gracious on giving me the time off for the cruise as it was. Have a great day everyone.

We're taking a cruise at the end of September from Barcelona. We've never been to Europe or Spain. We arrive in Paris at 11am on the 24th and were planning on staying 2 nights and then flying to Barcelona on the morning of the 26th. Another option is to leave Paris around 9pm on the 25th and arrive in Barcelona around 10:30pm and then stay the night there and board the ship the next day. The second option would mean we'd have to leave Paris for CDG airport around 5pm and would lose 4 hours or so of exploring Paris by not spending the night. Also, not sure if half a day in Barcelona (considering we'd have our luggage with us after checking out) would be worthwhile. Thoughts on this? Thanks so much.

This is really a personal choice,but I would spend 2 days in Paris hands down. You can always do another cruise out of BCN later on and then spend some time there exploring.I can't get enough of Paris so that's where I stand.Enjoy your trip/cruise.

It is a tough choice. Another consideration is that I always like to be in the departure city the night before a cruise. You never know what can happen the morning of...

Yeah, that part does concern us. We've really only been able to find no name (at least to us) carriers such as Ibera/Vueling to get us from Orly to Barcelona.

Another consideration is that I always like to be in the departure city the night before a cruise. You never know what can happen the morning of...

That's a very valid consideration, particularly since air travel is involved.

Personally, I'd want to be in Barcelona the night before sailing, but only the OP can assess the risk for him/herself.

Otherwise, hands down, speaking only for myself, Paris has it over Barcelona, and it's not even close. In fact, since a whirlwind day or a day and a half can't begin to do Paris justice, I would seriously consider going right to Barcelona, where much can be seen in two days, and save Paris for a multi-day trip, which is what it really needs. This would take care of Barcelona, and have the OP there the night before the ship sails.

Of course, I don't know if/when the OP can return to Paris...

After reading your post, we're both a little worried. We decided to spend the 2 nights in Paris and fly out at 9:30am on the day of the cruise to Barcelona. We're using Ibera/Vueling airlines as there weren't a whole lot of choices flying out of Orly in Paris. We do have travel insurance but we're gonna have to call them on Monday to see how if it would help if our flight was delayed/cancelled and we missed the cruise.

After reading your post, we're both a little worried. We decided to spend the 2 nights in Paris and fly out at 9:30am on the day of the cruise to Barcelona. We're using Ibera/Vueling airlines as there weren't a whole lot of choices flying out of Orly in Paris. We do have travel insurance but we're gonna have to call them on Monday to see how if it would help if our flight was delayed/cancelled and we missed the cruise.

Hopefully, all will go well, and you will have a great time in Paris and then a wonderful cruise!!

Archived