Anyone Have Information on How to Get Canadian Visitor Visa Quickly???

We have just learned from NCL that one of the people in our group sailing first week of August needs a TRV or Temporary Resident Visa because she is a Mexican citizen and we stop in Victoria for 6 hours. All Canadian consulate websites say it takes at least 30 days to obtain this via online application or by mail. We don't have that much time! Does anyone know a way to expedite getting this visa?

Any help appreciated!

There is absolutely, 100% NO way to get a visa application processed quicker in Canada under regular vacation circumstances without lying through your teeth about it being an emergency (and some sort of proof of the emergency would need to be provided). Just so it's clear, not being aware you needed a visa for a vacation is never deemed an emergency situation (insert that old saw about ignorance being no excuse...)

As a Mexican citizen, they DO need a visa to visit Canada - current fastest processing office in the USA is LA at 19 days for the paper version sent in to them rather than online (you don't say if this person is resident in the USA or not - usually you must apply to an office in the country you are residing in).

Right now though, the union governing staff who work in these offices is on strike which is probably why you're being told at least 30 days - it could be a lot longer...

I'd be checking with the cruise company whether they demand proof of a Canadian visa to allow your travel companion on-board in the first place, or if it would be acceptable for them to just not get off the ship in Victoria.

Nearest Cdn Consular services are in Dallas. I'd call and see if a visit in person by the individual could expidite the process

http://can-am.gc.ca/dallas/index.aspx?lang=eng

Does this apply:

You do not need a visa to visit or transit in Canada if you are a United States citizen. This also applies to persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who is in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.

Cruise passengers: if you go on a cruise that will pass through Canadian territory, you must apply for a Visitor Visa (not a transit visa) if you require a visitor visa to enter Canada. This is regardless of whether or not you intend to go ashore.

icon-check.gif

You need a visa to visit or transit Canada.

All of the above statements are from our Dept of Foreign Affairs web page.

I looked to see if there was an expidited time if you did it in person but didn't find one. I would call the Dallas office immediatly.

Sadly, the Canadian Visa process is a bureaucratic nightmare with extensive forms to complete, ostensibly to screen out would-be bogus refugee claimants and asylum seekers. Canada has imposed visa requirements on such countries as Mexico and the Czech Republic for this reason while those countries do not require visas from Canadian citizens

This excess bureaucracy has only been made worse by the continuing strike by Canadian foreign service officers.

I wouldn't hold out any great hope of getting a visa on short notice.

Read all about it in today's Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadas-visa-application-process-is-a-confusing-bureaucratic-nightmare/article13130626/#dashboard/follows/

They don't process visitor visas there gunner - nor do Visa Application Centres. It's explicitly stated on the website - visitor applications for a US resident Mexican citizen must go to LA, NY, or Mexico City offices for processing, hence my prior comment about the LA office having the shortest processing time.

Thanks so much everyone for you comments and wisdom. I think this is a hopeless situation but we are going to apply online today and say a prayer. If it doesn't go through she will not make the trip. Such a sad situation that seems so unnecessary for a 6 hour stay in Victoria!

Archived