On Explorer still in port late- delayed

Does a Giants football game greatly change traffic coming into the port? We are driving in from NE Ohio in October.

Not really....stadium traffic is North.....Are you driving in the morning of departure? Not a good idea IMO....

But it all depends upon where you enter NJ....if you come from the North and head south on the NJ TPKE, you'll experience BIG delays...if you come into NJ from the South, then you will do much better....I would not head towards the port any more North than Route 78......

I drive all over those roads all week long...I'm at the port area once a week....

I've been to many Giant's Games, and the traffic does not get bad until you go North of Newark Airport (Rt 78)

If you come into NJ on Rt 80, drop south to Rt 287........Pulaski Skyway is currently having major construction...sometime down to one lane!

Check you map, and try to stay even or below Newark Airport......

Also, any road, any bridge, at any time can get congested or shut down completely due to major accidents, construction, or a combination of both....so best bet would be to drive in the day before, don't fret the traffic, stay in a hotel and travel to the port the next day with absolutely no worry.....

Not really....stadium traffic is North.....

But it all depends upon where you enter NJ....if you come from the North and head south on the NKTPKE, you'll experience BIG delays...if you come into NJ from the South, then you will do much better....I would not head towards the port any more North than Route 78......

The traffic comes from both North and South to get to Giants stadium for a game. Certainly, once you reach the exits for the stadium, it will be congested from both directions. It will depend on game time, too.

Teddie

This thread has evolved into one that probably should be on the East Coast Departure board.

However, since a few recent Explorer passengers are onboard here and I'm sailing next month, I'll ask the question here.

Could I just park in the lot and walk over to the luggage handlers with the luggage and drop off. On my last Celebrity cruise, I remember walking back to the car WITH my baggage. If I can walk to the car with it, can I walk from the car with it?

The traffic comes from both North and South to get to Giants stadium for a game. Certainly, once you reach the exits for the stadium, it will be congested from both directions. It will depend on game time, too.

Teddie

True, but you don't hit it untill the TPKE splits right after the airport, before exit 15....after the airport, you're definitely in it....

This thread has evolved into one that probably should be on the East Coast Departure board.

However, since a few recent Explorer passengers are onboard here and I'm sailing next month, I'll ask the question here.

Could I just park in the lot and walk over to the luggage handlers with the luggage and drop off. On my last Celebrity cruise, I remember walking back to the car WITH my baggage. If I can walk to the car with it, can I walk from the car with it?

You probably could, but the traffic flow through the gate passes right through the luggage drop off area....you would have to ignore stopping, then walk all the way back with your luggage....

As long as the subject pertains to this port, I'd like to know the best way to get to the port from the Newark Airport - Taxi, or shuttle? I'll be sailing on the Explorer on Sept. 8, 2013. Also, would flying in and out of La Guardia be a good option? AirTran / Southwest doesn't go into Newark from Milwaukee. As usual, using Royal Caribbean's transportation services is more expensive. Any advice??

Guest maddycat
As long as the subject pertains to this port, I'd like to know the best way to get to the port from the Newark Airport - Taxi, or shuttle? I'll be sailing on the Explorer on Sept. 8, 2013. Also, would flying in and out of La Guardia be a good option? AirTran / Southwest doesn't go into Newark from Milwaukee. As usual, using Royal Caribbean's transportation services is more expensive. Any advice??

Definitely post this on the East Coast Departures board and read the thread for Cape Liberty. There are some very knowledgeable people who answer questions there.

East Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3! - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

I would use a car service over a taxi. A car service would give you a fixed price, whereas a taxi would give you an estimate that would not include wait times and possibly not tolls. Traffic is not trivial in the area and wait times could be significant.

Is flying out of Midway a possibility? That would get you to EWR on Southwest, with many non-stop choices.

Yes, flying out of Midway is an option. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive from my house to Midway. I'll have to take a closer look at that option.

Well, that's a long drive. I don't know if that would be preferable to the trip from LGA to the port. They are both subject to heavy traffic.

I decided to fly into Newark the day before because I can't get an arrival until after 1pm. With my luck I'd be caught in a traffic jam. I'll just get a shuttle or cab to pick us up at what ever hotel I'm at.

The way people talk about the bus to Bayonne you would think the ride was 30 minutes long. It's a 2 minute shuttle to port. .

quote]

Not a complaint but a question. You said 2 minute ride over to/from but how long does it take to load the bus? I presume it runs full.

That is a crummy scenario for sure. Other option: 78 to Route 1&9 over Pulaski Skyway. Take 1&9 south, then 440 to Bayonne. It's a bit of a gritty alternative, but it will get you there. :(

(I am a former visiting nurse for Jersey City)

Teddie

440 is rarely crowded. And the Bayonne bridge is a breeze most of the time. The drill was a rare thing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There is no comparison between Bayonne and a well run port like PC or Port Everglades. Checking in and waiting for a bus? That's convenient. Dealing with NJ longshoremen? No thanks. Heck I will even take San Juan over Bayonne.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Hey now, you better not be talkin' smack about new jersey :eek::p. We didn't have any problems cruising out of Bayonne. No longshoremen are just a part of what makes my state colorful and special :D.

There is no comparison between Bayonne and a well run port like PC or Port Everglades. Checking in and waiting for a bus? That's convenient. Dealing with NJ longshoremen? No thanks. Heck I will even take San Juan over Bayonne.

Spoken like a true Floridian. There is no comparison. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Of course Florida ports are a breeze, BUT having to travel to Florida for a cruise from NY can be a nightmare at certain times of the year weatherwise. I'd take NY/NJ anytime rather than traveling to Florida first usually overnight and dealing with airport delays.

Heard on the NJ radio station that repairwork is going to begin on 3 bridges linking NJ to Staten Island (Goethals and Bayonne Bridge being 2 of them) so that bigger ships can easily come into the area. Everything is NOT going to be shut down and it is going to be in phases one by one, but the traffic due to that will be a nightmare!

Anyone using the bridges and connectors should keep that in mind when planning to cruise from Bayonne.

Heard on the NJ radio station that repairwork is going to begin on 3 bridges linking NJ to Staten Island (Goethals and Bayonne Bridge being 2 of them) so that bigger ships can easily come into the area. Everything is NOT going to be shut down and it is going to be in phases one by one, but the traffic due to that will be a nightmare!

Anyone using the bridges and connectors should keep that in mind when planning to cruise from Bayonne.

Here's an article regarding the Bayonne bridge - it is going to be raised 64 feet - http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/bayonne_bridge_roadway_to_be_r.html

There is no mention of the Verazanno bridge, which all of the NY/NJ cruise ships sail under. They are doing repaving of the Outerbridge Crossing (which just began), and will be replacing the Goethals bridge.

Thanks for the link.

Making way for the Quantum I guess:D?

The Goethals bridge is on the south side of Bayonne and the ports are on the east side. The ships do not need to go under the Goethals bridge to get out to sea. I believe the construction is for commercial shipping to bring them to the other piers in the Newark Bay water way.

Spoken like a true Floridian. There is no comparison. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Of course Florida ports are a breeze, BUT having to travel to Florida for a cruise from NY can be a nightmare at certain times of the year weatherwise. I'd take NY/NJ anytime rather than traveling to Florida first usually overnight and dealing with airport delays.

That was my first reaction as well. I'd gladly deal with the bus at Bayonne, which truly isn't as bad as some make it out to be, than flying to Flordia or even driing to Florida which I have done several times.

The bus adds what 3 to 5 minutes to the boarding process??

I already posted my thoughts on the bus at Bayonne, it really isn't an issue. Compared to getting to Florida from the north east.

I know everyone has different experiences but the Florida longshoreman in Port Everglades are the only ones who have given me issues over the years!

The way people talk about the bus to Bayonne you would think the ride was 30 minutes long. It's a 2 minute shuttle to port. .

quote]

Not a complaint but a question. You said 2 minute ride over to/from but how long does it take to load the bus? I presume it runs full.

I honestly can't recall. I don't think it was that long. Keep in mind that everyone boarding gets a number, and lines up. So its not like you are waiting for ppl to show up. There is always a group that is ready to board behind you.

What bus are you talking about? When do you board this bus, and what does it cost? I never had to sail out of Bayonne before and I'm wondering if it's just as easy to fly from Milwaukee to LaGuardia instead of Newark. I'd rather pay a little more for transporting to the Port than to but up with any hassle. Has anyone flown into both airports? Seems that lately nothing is easy. :(

The bus goes from the passenger check-in tent to the ship. They run constantly and always run with a full load of people. It takes 90 seconds to get to the ship. A few of my sisters were complaining, but forgot all about those 90 seconds after we got on the ship for a great cruise!!

We were on the cruise that returned on 7/11. We didn't dock until maybe 7:45 or so, which was 2 hours later than expected. We ran into some weather during the night, but I slept right through it. I actually liked that we were able to watch the ship dock from our balcony. Our group of 9 chose express departure, so we carried our luggage off, went through customs, got back on the 90 second bus with luggage and were waiting for our limo by 9:15. It came at 9:45 and I was home by 10:30 (Rockland County NY). First time cruising without flying and I loved it. Cape Liberty is not a pretty place, but it's efficient, in my opinion.

Archived