On Explorer still in port late- delayed

We are still in port over 2 hours delayed. Hopefully leaving soon. The ship is wonderful and the staff excellent so far. I'm very picky and the ship looks great in my eyes!

Do you know why you are delayed? We will be on if a few weeks.

My husband dropped friends at the port this morning. He said they waited in traffic for over an hour. When they finally got to the luggage drop-off he asked them what was holding things up - it looked like they had only half of the drop-off gates open. He was told they had a shortage of luggage handlers. They didn't say why - and he was in a hurry to get out of that mess. I would assume that slowed the boarding process down?

My husband dropped friends at the port this morning. He said they waited in traffic for over an hour. When they finally got to the luggage drop-off he asked them what was holding things up - it looked like they had only half of the drop-off gates open. He was told they had a shortage of luggage handlers. They didn't say why - and he was in a hurry to get out of that mess. I would assume that slowed the boarding process down?

That's EXACTLY why I think Bayonne is a horrible port. When Quantum arrives, they'll have even more issues. It holds 1000 more passengers, which is 2000 more people each sailing (1000 more arriving and 1000 more departing). Royal needs to move Quantum out of Bayonne ASAP.....

That's EXACTLY why I think Bayonne is a horrible port. When Quantum arrives, they'll have even more issues. It holds 1000 more passengers, which is 2000 more people each sailing (1000 more arriving and 1000 more departing). Royal needs to move Quantum out of Bayonne ASAP.....

Wow. She's not even there yet!! We had no issues or delays embarking or disembarking our times out of Bayonne on Explorer. Once traffic at the pier area was heavy, but that was because Explorer was late getting in due to weather the night before at sea and arriving passengers met with late departing passengers coming out of the pier.

Wow. She's not even there yet!! We had no issues or delays embarking or disembarking our times out of Bayonne on Explorer. Once traffic at the pier area was heavy, but that was because Explorer was late getting in due to weather the night before at sea and arriving passengers met with late departing passengers coming out of the pier.

I agree with what you said about leaving from Bayonne. We have sailed on both the Explorer and the Summit and have never had any problems.

We've never had any issues or real delays either. We went on the cruise right after Sandy and the worst problem we had was the road was backed up a little. Lots of people debarking and dealing with car issues and transportation problems while we were arriving, but we have left and returned on time every single trip. We've had much worse issues in Port Canaveral boarding Freedom than we ever had in Bayonne.

I agree with what you said about leaving from Bayonne. We have sailed on both the Explorer and the Summit and have never had any problems.

Agreed! We love sailing from Bayonne, and also never had a problem.

I am looking forward to the arrival of Quantum and can't wait to sail on her from there.

There is no comparison between Bayonne and a well run port like PC or Port Everglades. Checking in and waiting for a bus? That's convenient. Dealing with NJ longshoremen? No thanks. Heck I will even take San Juan over Bayonne.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We had no problems with Bayonne when we went on Explorer. Actually I think that Bayonne is better than anyplace else around NYC. Much easier to get to than Manhattan or Brooklyn for anyone outside of Long Island. I would think that most passengers are coming from the west of the river/bay, so Bayonne is much easier for them (and me...).

Dealing with NJ longshoremen? No thanks. Heck I will even take San Juan over Bayonne.

Our first and only cruise so far on Explorer was last year as we headed out into SANDY..... The clown taking our luggage kindly reminded us with his hand held out that he worked for tips..... In short, pay up or your luggage might not make it on the ship.... He was much more forward about the tips than any other port. But, we handed him the same as we do for all our other ports and the luggage showed up at the cabin.... :cool: That is part of the NY charm.... :D

There is no comparison between Bayonne and a well run port like PC or Port Everglades. Checking in and waiting for a bus? That's convenient. Dealing with NJ longshoremen? No thanks. Heck I will even take San Juan over Bayonne.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Never had any issues with San Juan either....:)

Can't argue with Port Everglades - especially pier 18. Great port.

I thought the luggage handlers were very rude. They did hold out their hands and ask for tips. "We work for tips, please be generous." I thought that was uncalled for.

I think the traffic in and out is a nightmare. I also think that having drop off and pick up at the same location is a recipe for disaster.

Once inside, the port is fantastically organized and speedy. Same for getting off the ship. We breezed through customs and finding our luggage in the groups according to number was very easy.

Agreed! We love sailing from Bayonne, and also never had a problem.

I am looking forward to the arrival of Quantum and can't wait to sail on her from there.

Ditto.....I agree 150% !!!!!!!! We love sailing from Bayonne and also have never had a problem especially in February with snow etc. Can't wait for our Quantum cruise Feb. 2015 and so happy we have booked as some categories are already sold out!!!!!!!!!

Our first and only cruise so far on Explorer was last year as we headed out into SANDY..... The clown taking our luggage kindly reminded us with his hand held out that he worked for tips..... In short, pay up or your luggage might not make it on the ship.... He was much more forward about the tips than any other port. But, we handed him the same as we do for all our other ports and the luggage showed up at the cabin.... :cool: That is part of the NY charm.... :D

We have never had that happen in any port. In Bayonne, the people taking luggage have always been very nice and very, very busy. No time to stick out their hands and ask for anything. We've had bigger issues in PC with tip requests and Baltimore with the people taking our parking fees asking for tips.

Of all our departure ports, in order of ease, Baltimore, Bayonne, San Diego, NY, PC. PC was by far the worst and Baltimore the best, by a hair over Bayonne. We tip the same everywhere, but have never had a porter ask for anything in 13 cruises.

PC is a SLOW process. Lines getting into the port, lines just getting into the building, lines checking in and then lines to board. We have had our line come to a complete stop in PC just to board. Never had that happen in Bayonne.

We had no problems with Bayonne when we went on Explorer. Actually I think that Bayonne is better than anyplace else around NYC. Much easier to get to than Manhattan or Brooklyn for anyone outside of Long Island. I would think that most passengers are coming from the west of the river/bay, so Bayonne is much easier for them (and me...).

As a Long Islander I can assure you that Bayonne beats leaving from Brooklyn or Manhattan any day. The Belt Parkway can be a nightmare but I'll take it over driving into the city or (even worse) lugging my bags onto the railroad. :D

As a Long Islander I can assure you that Bayonne beats leaving from Brooklyn or Manhattan any day. The Belt Parkway can be a nightmare but I'll take it over driving into the city or (even worse) lugging my bags onto the railroad. :D

My Mom lives in Staten Island and we pick her up on the way to my sis on PA via Rte 78, pass the port all the time. My husband takes the LIE to the BQE to the Verrazano on weekends. Much less traffic and options to get off and reroute thru local streets if needed. Early in the mornings or late at night the Belt is not as bad.

That being said, Miami porters were the rudest in our estimation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'll translate Barbara's post for the non-Nyers out there.

She takes the Long Island Expressway and the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway getting out of Long Island.

The Belt Parkway is the shore-line highway you see to the left as the Explorer charges at full speed en route to the Verrazano Bridge, located on the coast of Brooklyn running by Coney Island and the parachute jump. We got heartburn just watching Joey as he scarfed down 69 dogs on the 4th in winning the Nathans contest for the 7th time. The original Nathans can be tacky but it is fun. Not to mention the ghosts of Cantor and Durante hang out there.

Hows that for a stream of consciousness post.

Archived