Dressing for dinner

sta319

We are going on our first Oceania cruise in October To the French and Italian Riviera and was wondering how do women normally dress for dinner

I always say think Chicos or Colwater Creek..nice black travelers slacks and a top..nothing fancy..

Jancruz1

We've cruised mostly during warm weather.

I pack linen blouses, leggings, nice ballet flats and some casual jewelry. We make the most of our time away so we are challenged by airline weight/baggage restrictions. Makes us really streamline our wardrobe and we're not fancy dressers anyway. I've never felt under-dressed or out-of-place and this includes our Christmas and New Year's cruise.

I am a skirt/dress and heels gal here at home and on vacation so will be packing some jersey wrap dresses for our upcoming fall cruise as well as a nice pair of black slacks and a few pretty tops. I like sparkle so that will be my choice as well.

We travel light as we will be in Italy on our own pre and post, using the trains. Fabric is key for me, and I stick to good quality jerseys and knits for our trips to Europe. Easy care and pack very well.

Good thread for me new to Oceania & Europe

On the Ionian Riviera sailing also Oct 18 -- with 2 days pre & post in Italy. Was thinking chicos type black & grey slacks, also white jeans. Are jeans (nice white chicos platinum ones) appropriate in any dining room?

Linda

.... also white jeans. Are jeans (nice white chicos platinum ones) appropriate in any dining room?

Linda

When last I saw this question raised, much controversy ensued. Jeans officially are a big no-no (except for the casual dining venue) and I never have tried to wear them to dinner.

I do not know if the Oceania dining police have changed their policy.

(My last cruise was on Azamara, and dressing there definitely was more casual all around than on Oceania.)

I take blk dress slacks & micro fiber type pants, skirts & tops..easy to pack easy to wash, quick to dry & they always look nice ;)

Jeans are not acceptable (no matter what colour or price) in the dining venues for dinner with the exception of the Terrace

next it will be the sandals topic :rolleyes:

Lots of jeans on our Regatta cruise and I mean the blue jeans type you may wear to garden in or pop to the shops in, not go to dinner in the GDR or anywhere else on an O ship! They were worn with with very casual t shirts and polo shirts, and yes sometimes with those "sandals", both sexes.

We were actually quite surprised at the obvious disregard of the "no jeans" rule. The staff didn't bat an eyelid, so I guess anything goes, but it is quite clearly stated that no jeans, shorts etc to be worn at dinner. So why state something and then not enforce it?

It doesn't make any of the jeans wearers a worse or better person than anyone else, but it just seems to take the casual approach a bit too far. Just MHO!

We were actually quite surprised at the obvious disregard of the "no jeans" rule. The staff didn't bat an eyelid, so I guess anything goes, but it is quite clearly stated that no jeans, shorts etc to be worn at dinner. So why state something and then not enforce it?

It doesn't make any of the jeans wearers a worse or better person than anyone else, but it just seems to take the casual approach a bit too far. Just MHO!

Wow I am surprised they allowed jean in the dining venues for dinner

I agree Oceania is a relaxed cruise line but it can get too relaxed in the dressing down dept ...next you will see sweat suits in the GDR at dinner :eek:

JMO

Lyn

Wow, never thought an innocent question about white jeans would get such responses.

Just checked the Oceania website and it says "requested" jeans, etc. not be worn.

Crisp white jeans with a nice top do not equal sweat pants and sandals. Don't know what starving children have to do with any of this. I guess only certain questions are allowed by the grand dames on this board.

I am a jewelry junkie

My chance to wear fabulous bold costume pieces that I collect

So. I am in black with jewelry

Not black jeans on o except at terrace

I see lots of women wearing great fashion jewelry on most o cruises

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow, never thought an innocent question about white jeans would get such responses.

Just checked the Oceania website and it says "requested" jeans, etc. not be worn.

Crisp white jeans with a nice top do not equal sweat pants and sandals. Don't know what starving children have to do with any of this. I guess only certain questions are allowed by the grand dames on this board.

No I didn't quite get that quip either about starving children.

Please do not take anything I have written in the wrong way :). You will be perfectly fine in your white "jeans" - I was referring only to the type of blue jeans you really would only wear to do your chores! In this case I really do not think they are appropriate wear for dinner and when you see the lovely surroundings of the restaurants on the O then you'll see what I mean. It was only a few but the thing is with everyone else so nicely dressed, they did tend to stand out.

But each to his own, after all it doesn't affect my dinner experience what anyone else wears, it was merely an observation.

Thank you Lorraine and others, I wanted to know what is appropriate.

It is just the comments with the zingers on the end that get to me.

I pack Black, Turquoise and Silver. Silver and Black kitten heel dress sandals. I also bring several knitted wraps which dresses any of the outfits I wear. Those take up room in the suitcase of course so I bring another small suitcase. :D

Lots of jeans on our Regatta cruise and I mean the blue jeans type you may wear to garden in or pop to the shops in, not go to dinner in the GDR or anywhere else on an O ship! They were worn with with very casual t shirts and polo shirts, and yes sometimes with those "sandals", both sexes.

I am curious about your first sentence. Did you mean that jeans were worn in the GDR or that women wore them on deck and in the shops? You can wear jeans onboard. Just the FAQ says not in the dining rooms.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx

We will be on Nautica in September, Barcelona to Athens. I like to wear summer dresses and sandals and a wrap in the evenings. We have not sailed on Oceania before.

I just booked our dinner reservations. I was surprised that several evenings there were no reservations available until 9:00 pm. Will have to have a snack late afternoon.:rolleyes:

I just booked our dinner reservations. I was surprised that several evenings there were no reservations available until 9:00 pm. Will have to have a snack late afternoon.:rolleyes:

There may be reservations earlier for those nights once you are onboard. They do not book the restaurants completely full before sailing for obvious reasons.

There will be many opening to accommodate those that have not booked online and those that will want extra reservation. Just check with reservations desk once onboard.

Enjoy your cruise.

I am curious about your first sentence. Did you mean that jeans were worn in the GDR or that women wore them on deck and in the shops? You can wear jeans onboard. Just the FAQ says not in the dining rooms.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx

Yes I was meaning blue jeans in the GDR for dinner - :eek:

But of course, people wear jeans, of all shapes, sizes, types, colours during the day in and around the ship, and nothing wrong with that!

When I was telling the DH about this topic he said "and did you tell them about the baseball cap?" My answer "do you think I should, dare I??" LOL! It could be mentioned in the same sentence as white trainers, dinner, GDR, but to spare us all, I will only say, yes there was the wearing of a baseball cap at dinner. But again, each to her own. ;)

We will be on Nautica in September, Barcelona to Athens. I like to wear summer dresses and sandals and a wrap in the evenings. We have not sailed on Oceania before.

That will give you the perfect "excuse" for the delicious scones and the other goodies at afternoon tea! Then still plenty of time for a nap or "matinee" as discussed on another thread :p:D

Excellent!

Now, I can go be concerned about something a bit less important, like the starving children in the world. ;)

During the planning for our sailing last month, Boooomer made a comment about all the angst we were going through for some issue and I can't at this moment remember what it was.

He said that his daughter called these types of issues "First World problems".

True enough.

How lucky are we to be able to enjoy these wonderful vacations and to spend time worrying about what to wear? I thank goodness every day and take the time to count my blessings, as I know that all of you do!

Archived