Using my own gluten free pasta in the Lido

richarduk

I've been trying for years for them to have whole wheat pasta in Lido/MDR. Haven't been successful yet.

Have you actually gone to your PCC and requested to have it ordered for you? It can be done, granted they can always stated they cannot obtain it but I have seen some very strange things pre-requested that HAL has come thru with. You just have to ask. It also takes staying on top of Ship Services and waiting for an answer. But again this must be done a few months in advance to allow HAL to order and make sure they can get.

John, I am not ignoring it and I have answered it!
You are still ignoring what he asked. He wants to waltz up to a Lido station, unannounced, hand over a bag and wait for his food to be cooked.
Would the staff have any objection to me bringing my own gluten free pasta to the pasta station for them to cook?

It's really disappointing when you fancy a quick spaghetti but you can't get it as you haven't requested it the day before!!!

The question you insist on answering instead is "Can my special food be brought on board by any means?"

You are still ignoring what he asked. He wants to waltz up to a Lido station, unannounced, hand over a bag and wait for his food to be cooked.

"

I get it........and there is a difference between what OP is asking and the solution being offered. The OP does not want to make prior arrangements. That is the issue.

I would be most disturbed if people handed raw food over the counter for the cooks to prepare. That would be a high health risk for everybody else due to possible contamination of the food preparation areas. Think of some raw meat that someone got a good deal on from a street vendor and you get the picture. Or even a fish that they caught on an excursion.

Nobody is arguing whether or not special food requests can be made through proper channels, and that such requested foods would be purchased and handled by HAL personnel.

igraf

The question you insist on answering instead is "Can my special food be brought on board by any means?"

I get it........and there is a difference between what OP is asking and the solution being offered. The OP does not want to make prior arrangements. That is the issue.

YES and I am answering what the OP can do, plain and simple. I am not sure why every one wants to nit pick and argue in here. :rolleyes:

I am not sure why every one wants to nit pick and argue in here. :rolleyes:

Maybe because several posters have said that OP can't do what he proposes, and you have said they are wrong. But you will not specifically say that he can, only what several other options are.

If the posters are wrong, then say OP can do as he proposes without utilizing the other options.

YES and I am answering what the OP can do, plain and simple. I am not sure why every one wants to nit pick and argue in here. :rolleyes:
Yes, you are stating what he can do. You are not answering what he asked: can he bring it to the Lido HIMSELF at his whim.

OK let me try to state this in a way that some who are not understanding can understand..... The OP maybe able to bring on their own Gluten Free Pasta but they MUST go thru HAL's Ship Services in advance to have this OKed first HAL must see if they can obtain product they are wanting if they cannot HAL's Ship Services will obtain the authorization from the ship for the OP to bring on board for HAL to prepare it, And YES I have seen HAL OKing this to be done, the package must be in the manufactures sealed product box. No they cannot just walk up with something to be prepared with out doing the above but I have given the OP information on how to proceed with what they want and need.

I have not worked for HAL, but for another cruise line. I don't know if this refers to a cruise originating in the US or not, but let me put out the USPH guidelines about this.

While sealed, ready to eat food may be brought aboard, I am really not sure if food to be cooked, even in a sealed package would be allowed. And most certainly, you could not walk up and expect the staff to cook something that has not been in their custody. I will agree that you can make arrangements in advance for specific dietary needs, but to do so will most likely (in my experience, ymmv) require a medical note or some form of religious indication. While I am surprised that HAL would go out of their way to provide specific brands of food for single passengers, I won't argue that. And I won't argue that if you have made arrangements months in advance (so that HAL can notify their vendor and ensure that the food meets USPH requirements), and they have your pasta onboard, you could request it at the buffet, but I cannot believe they will accept food from you to cook. All food on USPH inspected ships must come from approved vendors.

I have not worked for HAL, but for another cruise line. I don't know if this refers to a cruise originating in the US or not, but let me put out the USPH guidelines about this.

While sealed, ready to eat food may be brought aboard, I am really not sure if food to be cooked, even in a sealed package would be allowed. And most certainly, you could not walk up and expect the staff to cook something that has not been in their custody. I will agree that you can make arrangements in advance for specific dietary needs, but to do so will most likely (in my experience, ymmv) require a medical note or some form of religious indication. While I am surprised that HAL would go out of their way to provide specific brands of food for single passengers, I won't argue that. And I won't argue that if you have made arrangements months in advance (so that HAL can notify their vendor and ensure that the food meets USPH requirements), and they have your pasta onboard, you could request it at the buffet, but I cannot believe they will accept food from you to cook. All food on USPH inspected ships must come from approved vendors.

That is exactly what I was told by Exec Chef and HAL Hotel Manager/Director.

You cannot walk up to a Chef in Lido, present a package of pasta and ask it be cooked.

I asked that specific question and was told No..... as one would expect.

It wasn't enough to tote wine, beer and soda.

Now it's food? Too funny.

Why not stay home drink your favorite wine and with the money you save on a foolish cruise,you can now upgrade from two buck chuck to four dollar rotgut:)

OK let me try to state this in a way that some who are not understanding can understand..... The OP maybe able to bring on their own Gluten Free Pasta but they MUST go thru HAL's Ship Services in advance to have this OKed first HAL must see if they can obtain product they are wanting if they cannot HAL's Ship Services will obtain the authorization from the ship for the OP to bring on board for HAL to prepare it, And YES I have seen HAL OKing this to be done, the package must be in the manufactures sealed product box. No they cannot just walk up with something to be prepared with out doing the above but I have given the OP information on how to proceed with what they want and need.

Lisa - while you may have been giving OP information on how to accomplish his goal, this is the only place you have actually answered the question, and you are agreeing with those that you are going back and forth with.

That is exactly what I was told by Exec Chef and HAL Hotel Manager/Director.

You cannot walk up to a Chef in Lido, present a package of pasta and ask it be cooked.

I asked that specific question and was told No..... as one would expect.

And this is exactly why I am stating that you need to go thru Ship Services months in advance so they can get the item you want if they cannot I do know of cases that the passengers was able to bring on their own and met with the Culinary Manager with the product. I have seen this approved and actually a few more times with Celebrity. But it can be done as long as the ship is aware in advance. Even on NCL but they are strict with the request being at least 60 days in advance but they will do it they just need to also know what restaurants you may be dining in.

Please do not play judge and jury, let the OP go to HAL and get their answer, I know we all want to be the experts even me but I am stressing please allow Holland America to handle and give the final answer. This applies to all cruise lines and the answers may vary based on ship location and the ship itself. 99% of the time HAL will definitely come thru. I have yet to see HAL deny a request unless it was last minute but if you give them at least 60 to 90 days I have not seen requests denied. I have actually seen them come up with products I never thought they could or if it is not exactly what they wanted will let the OP know what they can provide. If not satisfactory I have seen OK of products to be brought on board to be prepared.

Holland America, no actually all the cruise lines have become very proactive for Vegan and Gluten Free products and menus and offer a wide variety of items they now offer BUT again the request must be made in advance with Ship Services. Those that book a last minute cruise 2 to 3 weeks before sailing cannot expect HAL to do this nor will they. But give them plenty of time and they will accommodate.

So if word of this got out and more pax knew about it, it is entirely possible for every pax who wished it and planned far enough in advance, to have catering of whatever foods they wished to eat by what would amount to the HAL staff becoming their own personal chefs. All without any dietary need for such individual service. Truly the "me generation". I hate to think how long the lines in the Lido might become. :eek:

So if word of this got out and more pax knew about it, it is entirely possible for every pax who wished it and planned far enough in advance, to have catering of whatever foods they wished to eat by what would amount to the HAL staff becoming their own personal chefs. All without any dietary need for such individual service. Truly the "me generation". I hate to think how long the lines in the Lido might become. :eek:

Peaches I agree with you and feel it is already getting out of hand with the requests but everyone states it is religious and or medical and HAL cannot deny this so they do try to comply with all requests. I always advise that the passenger must also be proactive once they get on the ship for themselves. The department that handles this has doubled in size in a very short period of time. Although in the end the answers come back from the individual ship.

Trust me many have learned from here on CC already they can do this.

Speaking of questions that have not been answered on this thread.

I've been trying for years for them to have whole wheat pasta in Lido/MDR. Haven't been successful yet.

Have you actually gone to your PCC and requested to have it ordered for you? It can be done, granted they can always stated they cannot obtain it but I have seen some very strange things pre-requested that HAL has come thru with. You just have to ask. It also takes staying on top of Ship Services and waiting for an answer. But again this must be done a few months in advance to allow HAL to order and make sure they can get.

And this is exactly why I am stating that you need to go thru Ship Services months in advance so they can get the item you want if they cannot I do know of cases that the passengers was able to bring on their own and met with the Culinary Manager with the product. I have seen this approved and actually a few more times with Celebrity. But it can be done as long as the ship is aware in advance. Even on NCL but they are strict with the request being at least 60 days in advance but they will do it they just need to also know what restaurants you may be dining in.

Please do not play judge and jury, let the OP go to HAL and get their answer, I know we all want to be the experts even me but I am stressing please allow Holland America to handle and give the final answer. This applies to all cruise lines and the answers may vary based on ship location and the ship itself. 99% of the time HAL will definitely come thru. I have yet to see HAL deny a request unless it was last minute but if you give them at least 60 to 90 days I have not seen requests denied. I have actually seen them come up with products I never thought they could or if it is not exactly what they wanted will let the OP know what they can provide. If not satisfactory I have seen OK of products to be brought on board to be prepared.

Holland America, no actually all the cruise lines have become very proactive for Vegan and Gluten Free products and menus and offer a wide variety of items they now offer BUT again the request must be made in advance with Ship Services. Those that book a last minute cruise 2 to 3 weeks before sailing cannot expect HAL to do this nor will they. But give them plenty of time and they will accommodate.

Please see your own statement highlighted in red above. You may arrange to bring your own pasta, if HAL is willing, but as you say, you must meet with the Food & Beverage Director or the Executive Chef, AND GIVE THEM THE FOOD ITEM.

Here is the regulation from the USPH VSP:

7.3.3.5.2 Prohibited Storage (19)

Food must not be stored as follows:

• In locker rooms.

• In toilet rooms.

• In dressing rooms.

• In garbage rooms;

• In mechanical rooms;

• Under sewer lines that are not continuously sleeve welded.

• Under leaking water lines, including leaking automatic fire sprinkler heads, or under lines on which water has condensed.

Food Safety; 86

• Under open stairwells.

• Under other sources of CONTAMINATION from nonfood items such as ice blocks, ice carvings, and flowers.

In areas not finished in accordance with 7.7.4 and 7.7.5 for FOOD STORAGE AREAS.

Note the last condition, again in red. USPH has very strict guidelines about the construction of food storage areas. Therefore, what the OP was asking about, "walking up to the pasta station and handing the cook a package of pasta to be cooked" would not be allowed. Could he bring his pasta and have the Provisions staff store it for him? Maybe, depends on the line, and that would need to be addressed to the line's management. Could the line require a day's advance notice, as the OP stated he has done in the past? Yes. Could the line go find the pasta in the storeroom, and cook it whenever the OP showed up at the buffet? Maybe, again requiring clearance from management. But the ORIGINAL premise of just walking up and handing a bag of pasta to be cooked won't happen.

Lisa- look on the bright side. At least you didn't ask if you could sing at the piano bar.

Peaches I agree with you and feel it is already getting out of hand with the requests but everyone states it is religious and or medical and HAL cannot deny this so they do try to comply with all requests. I always advise that the passenger must also be proactive once they get on the ship for themselves. The department that handles this has doubled in size in a very short period of time. Although in the end the answers come back from the individual ship.

Trust me many have learned from here on CC already they can do this.

I'm thinking Dungeness Crab for lunch on even numbered days and whole lobsters and caviar on odd days. Works for me. I worship the gods of the sea if anyone asks, which they can't ask anyway. Seattle can ship it all from Pike Place Market to my ship.

Speaking of questions that have not been answered on this thread.

No.

I have spoken with no fewer than five Hotel Managers (Directors) and at least four Exec Chefs.

Whole wheat pasta, as a regular item in Lido, is not an option.

I never give up hope. :D

I'm thinking Dungeness Crab for lunch on even numbered days and whole lobsters and caviar on odd days. Works for me. I worship the gods of the sea if anyone asks, which they can't ask anyway. Seattle can ship it all from Pike Place Market to my ship.

Seems reasonable:D.

Archived