Questions about Cape Town/South Africa? Ask a Capetonian!

Zimbo

So glad to see your posts. We will be in your area later this year and have about a day and a half in Capetown and willl be staying at the Westin. What would be best to do in this short time?

Thank you!

Thanks for your take on Robben Island. We'll probably go there to experience the atmosphere and history as well as the photo opportunities. On our Full day Peninsula Tour we do go along Chapman's Peak Drive and our last stop is Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. It sounds like we are hitting all the main attractions! We have a full day Winelands tour to Franschhoek and Stellenbosch with lunch somewhere along the way and several stops for wine tasting.

We'll be sure to check out the Bo Kaap area if we are able, we will not have a car as we are doing private tours daily.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Diane

I just came upon this thread and have read it all. DH and I did a land trip to Cape Town in November 2011 and truly loved it. Reading the thread brought back so many wonderful memories. You must have had your trip by now. Won't you come back to tell us where you went, what you did, and how you loved it??

I am looking for suggestions if you had one day in Cape Town and were provided from the following two choices, which would you choose?

1. Visit wine region around Cape Town, with visits to Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. This tour will visit 4 wineries

2. Tour to the Cape of Good Hope/Cape Point and the Constantia Winelands. This tour will visit 2 wineries.

The price for either tour is the same.

Provide me with your thoughts and suggestions.....TIA

We did both on different days. If you really like wine, then do the wine tour. They do not give you a sample like they do here in North America. It is a big glass of wine and by the time we left our fourth winery, we were all feeling quite happy. There is a chocolate shop close by the wineries that is definitely worth a stop in to visit. Best chocolates I have ever tasted.

The other tour was interesting, but very windy, lots of stairs to climb to get the view, but to be honest I enjoyed the winery tour more. Pretty towns.

We did both on different days. If you really like wine, then do the wine tour. They do not give you a sample like they do here in North America. It is a big glass of wine and by the time we left our fourth winery, we were all feeling quite happy. There is a chocolate shop close by the wineries that is definitely worth a stop in to visit. Best chocolates I have ever tasted.

The other tour was interesting, but very windy, lots of stairs to climb to get the view, but to be honest I enjoyed the winery tour more. Pretty towns.

We'll be visiting Cape Town in April and doing a winery tour. Do you remember the name of the chocolate shop.?? ... We'd love to sample some local chocolate.

Franschhoek. I think. Just about everyone who is a local knows about this chocolate shop. Ask your tour guide and they will probably know what you asking about. It is a tiny shop, but those chocolates were oh so good. Everyone on the tour bought some and we were the only ones who made it back to the ship with 2 left in our bag.:)

• 1 month later...
Firstly, thank you for all the info on this post I have learnt such a lot.

We are on a cruise starting in Capetown, we have a day and a half at the beginning of the cruise and half a day at the end so want to fit in as much as possible and would like to include Boulders Beach, can we get there from a stop on the HoHo bus or do we need to do a tour?

Our next port of call is East London and we don't fancy any of the tours offered from the ship, have you any recommendations for what me might do please?

Thanks.

We are also looking for ideas for East London. Have you come up with any? Thanks

We are also looking for ideas for East London. Have you come up with any? Thanks

Check out Rick Steves' guide books. He is great. There is tons to do and to see. Cheap and fresh lunch at Pret A Manger shops all over town. Tube is safe and easy to use. Get a Streetwise London street map online or at Barnes and Noble stores.

Hi Diane,

Highlights around Cape Town are very subjective.

Also while in South Africa you must try a Dom Pedro …. it's like a double thick shake, made with ice cream but also contains either whiskey or Kahlua … you can order one at ANY restaurant that has a liquor license.

You are going to find so many places where the food is so inexpensive. Of course for us to exchange rate at the moment is pretty much $1 - R10, so we find most of the restaurants very reasonable.

You will find more restaurants at the V & A than you can imagine and they run the gamut in price.

And other than Willoughby's (which you will not be disappointed in) our personal other favorite casual restaurant there is Balducci's.

Hope this helps a bit ……...

Where is Balducci's? Does Willoughby's have Dom Pedro's?

Check out Rick Steves' guide books. He is great. There is tons to do and to see. Cheap and fresh lunch at Pret A Manger shops all over town. Tube is safe and easy to use. Get a Streetwise London street map online or at Barnes and Noble stores.

The East London we are stopping at is in South Africa. I don't think Rick Steves has a book for this area and am pretty sure there is no tube. Easy mistake, but thanks for the info.

Where is Balducci's? Does Willoughby's have Dom Pedro's?

Yes, as I said above, you can have Dom Pedro's at any restaurant that serves liquor, and that is most in SA.

Balducci's and Willoughby's are both at the V & A waterfront.

Correct, East London does not have a tube LOL, it's a small seaside city in SA.

We will be arriving by cruise ship and our flight doesn't leave until evening. Does anyone know if there is some place we can store our luggage until later in the day when we take a taxi to the airport? Also - any idea of charge from waterfront to airport by taxi?

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Thank you for offering your time to help people plan their time in your city.

We will have three days in Cape Town 4-6 Feb 2016. We like to 'do our own thing' as much as possible as we get very frustrated in a group tour as we like to go at our own pace.

We were planning to go to Robben Island- think we should be able to just go to the waterfront to buy tickets and enjoy the tour.

We would like to do a day hike around Table Mountain. We do like to walk but I am hoping we can get a bus to the chair lift and then hike around- not sure about hiking or chairlift down?

We would have a day left to explore- what would you suggest? (we are not into sitting for hours in a cafe, restaurant or winery)

We would also like to do a day safari- options so far are Addo Elephant Park when in PE. Would you recommend this over Schotia Game Reserve? Unfortunately we don't dock until 8am but are in port until 8pm, so cant get to the parks as early as we would like.

Richards bay- if we are going on a day safari in PE, should we also consider going to one in Richards Bay.

Durban- what do you suggest here?

Many thanks again

Julie (Australia)

Hello all,

I'm trying to plan a cruise leaving cape town in early 2017. What cruise lines sail out of SA. I've seen a few from MSC but haven't read great things about them. Thanks for any help.

The easiest resource for cruises that depart from or visit any port anywhere in the world is Cruise Time Tables. A quick look at Capetown, for example, shows many cruises departing from Capetown in 2017. You can also search for port stops. Once you determine the relevant departures, you can do the additional research to decide which cruise is right for you.

The easiest resource for cruises that depart from or visit any port anywhere in the world is Cruise Time Tables. A quick look at Capetown, for example, shows many cruises departing from Capetown in 2017. You can also search for port stops. Once you determine the relevant departures, you can do the additional research to decide which cruise is right for you.

Most major lines go to South Africa. Find a line you like, go to their main website, and use the "find a cruise" feature. Either Africa is listed as a region they go to or not.

Edited by IndiTravler
typo

• 1 month later...
CAPE TOWN the fog was suddenly gone and there was Cape Town in all its table-topped splendour. Wow! We stayed two nights at the Table Bay Hotel. We did the things tourists usually do in Cape Town - the Chapman’s Peak drive, the penguins, the Cape of Good Hope, Simon’s Town, Kirstenbosch and the stunningly beautiful Winelands The V&A waterfront rather reminded us of Covent Garden in London. That is to say, it’s very touristy, buzzy and crowded. It’s also rather attractive with that magnificent backdrop. People who go to Cape Town and confine themselves to these tourist sights might come away with the idea that since the fall of apartheid everything is wonderful and that Cape Town is a sort of Beverly Hills in Africa. Our guide explained that apartheid isn’t dead because the blacks feel superior to the coloureds while the whites just carry on owning and running all the businesses. The government pretends they are in control and merely try to minimise their levels of corruption. The economy virtually collapsed while we were there, due to some scandal or other.

On another Cruise Critic board, here are many details, comments and background for what this experienced traveler from the UK did and experienced just recently in and around Cape Town during his first visit there. This will be our first visit, both to Africa and Cape Town. I really liked his comments on the V&A Waterfront for how it might be a little too touristy and crowded. We have adjusted our choice for where we stay to be a little closer to Green Point area and not as much in the heart of the busy V&A. Your insights/comments/experience on the Black vs. Colored vs. White for the power/cultural was super fascinating!!

Fortunately, we have five days in Cape Town before starting our Feb. 2 Silversea Silver Cloud sailing along the South Africa coast. That added timing allows us more flexibility to see a wider range of options, sights, etc., there. This includes visiting a "township" area to better see and experience aspects of the Apartheid era, etc. We will also do the route down the Cape Peninsula and Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens. Here are a few of my questions for any reactions for those experienced for Cape Town to share more:

1. SAFETY?: How do things feel and seem for walking around in most of the areas of Cape Town where you were at? For V&A, City Centre, nearby, etc.?

2. ROBBEN ISLAND?: Many urge going here. He did not. How important is this trip being as a highest priority versus just being good? Some have told us that this tour can be a little rushed/crowded.

3. TRAFFIC?: He was not driving (we won't be either), but do things overall seem super congested. Or, do things move fairly well for getting around in these areas of Cape Town?

4. WINELANDS?: Many strongly suggest this option. Do most agree on this area as being a highest, must-see priority? Many have said that the architecture/history makes things "special" to see and experience, plus the beauty of the settings, nature, etc. We have done a number of wine places in Europe, California, New Zealand, etc.

5. CITY CENTRE?: Is this Central Business District that interesting, important and fascinating? Or, just another typical downtown with older government buildings, commerce, congestion, etc.?

6. KIRSTENBOSCH?: Is Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens that special and worth it? About how long does it take to get a decent sampling there?

What else is important that have I not asked?

THANKS so much for any help, comments, sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 190,578 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We were just there in September and loved the beauty of Cape Town. We did a safari afterwards, which was wonderful. We are not big drinkers but we did enjoy visiting 3 wineries and loved all the S. African wine we had. Kirstenbosch was wonderful. We booked a tram ride ahead of time and we were the only ones on board! The gift shop there was super. We could have spent more time in Kirstenbosch and less at the wineries, but that is probably just us. Robben's Island is a must see. You have to see Mandela's jail cell and hear all your tour guide has to say. We felt safe in the V & A area and their mall. We did go to the outlying areas of Hout Bay, etc. and the grocery store out there. It did not seem to be completely safe and it was good to be in a car at night and not walking in the outlying areas. We loved seeing the penguins and later, feeling the wind at Cape Point. Did major shopping at the Gallery Shop in Church Street, round the corner from Green Market Square where Lorin was selling handmade African community produced items. Not a chain store. Shopped in the airport Out of Africa chain store also. Wonderful trip.

Debbie-Florida

• 3 weeks later...
We were just there in September and loved the beauty of Cape Town. We are not big drinkers but we did enjoy visiting 3 wineries and loved all the S. African wine we had. Kirstenbosch was wonderful. The gift shop there was super. We could have spent more time in Kirstenbosch and less at the wineries, but that is probably just us. Robben's Island is a must see. You have to see Mandela's jail cell and hear all your tour guide has to say. We felt safe in the V & A area and their mall. We loved seeing the penguins and later, feeling the wind at Cape Point. Did major shopping at the Gallery Shop in Church Street, round the corner from Green Market Square where Lorin was selling handmade African community produced items. Not a chain store. Wonderful trip. Debbie-Florida

Appreciate these great tips, ideas and details from Debbie. Wonderful!! Very helpful!! Clearly you like gift shops and buying. BUT, I will try to keep such wild spending ideas secret and away from my wife's brain. Bad for the wallet!! My view? Just take priceless pictures and not buy more "stuff"!!

It's snowing now in Columbus. Our first snow of the season here. Looks great!! Nice big flakes. BUT, it is good that we escape the cold Midwest before things get too challenging during this winter.

We had a wonderful dinner last night at home with the former Columbus Zoo Director and his wife. Lots of good insights and tips from both of them. He really likes our schedule/plan. Of special interest was his super strong love for Botswana's Okavango Delta. He calls that specific location his all-time favorite spot in all of Africa from his 25 different visits there. This morning he followed-up saying "Your trip will be fantastic." He really likes all of Silversea Silver Cloud cruising stops along the South Africa coast. Lots of opportunities to see and do more. His wife especially loved the waters, sights and coastline of Indian Ocean that bumps up against this part of Africa. She said we would be surprised for how amazing is that part of the world.

Among their special insights are that for the Okavango Delta at the time we are there in February that the birds will be so many, varied and special. They both super love Cape Town. They, like others, have mixed views for whether or not Robben Island is worth it. Near Cape Town, they rate Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens as the best for all of the world that they have ever seen or visited for these types of gardens. He said for late January when we are there that their unique and colorful flowers and plants there will be at the peak, best of season stage.

Having dinner tonight with another seasoned travel couple who have been to Africa fives times. More good, fun research and prep work to get ready for our first visit to Africa. It's a hard "job", but somebody has got to do it!! Any others here on this CC Board have good tips, insights and ideas for our Africa/Botswana travels? Don't be shy!! Please share here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 30,588 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Apologies to all for not having frequented this thread as often as I would have liked to over the last year or so - work, business travel, and relocating to another continent have taken up much of my time!

Terry - to try answer some of your questions, directly and indirectly. Hopefully this may be of some use to others as well:

1) Safety - For the most part, walking around Cape Town during daylight hours is comfortable and safe. With you being there end of January, it will get light early, and dark fairly late (8:30pm-ish). You will need to be more circumspect at night, and stay to well-lit and busy areas.

You will likely see people in green and white vests around the city (walking, on bicycles, in booths - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/CCID_trailer,_guard_and_manager,_Cape_Town..JPG) with the letters CCID on them – this stands for the Cape Town Central Improvement District, and these are public safety and assistance officers who complement and assist the police. Don’t be afraid to ask these individuals for help or information if need be.

As with everywhere, use common sense at all times, watch out for pick-pockets, and try to avoid appearing too obviously a "lost" tourist. If you are going walking, leave the "flash and bling" behind, and also important documents and cards that you are unlikely to use eg. passports etc. Whilst the chances of losing them, by whatever means, is small, just eliminate it altogether by locking them in the safe at the hotel. But don't be shy to carry your camera and take lots of pictures!

You may encounter beggars or more sophisticated scam artists who may have some very convincing sounding story about losing their wallet, or losing their phone, or some other. Just provide a smile, and a polite "no sorry, we can't help" - you may have to persist for a little while :)

On a related note, Uber is well established in Cape Town and works exceptionally well. For the local equivalent of around US$5 (which is deducted straight from the app, so no need to carry cash with you), you can get anywhere around the city in a very safe and convenient manner. I use it frequently for short-hops. It might be worth getting a local simcard with some data preloaded on it at Cape Town airport when you arrive, just for using the Uber app. If you are not walking for sight-seeing purposes, and just need to get from A to B, I would recommend Uber. As an alternative, the city also has a very good public bus service with fairly extensive coverage called MyCiti which uses a card system.

2) Robben Island – I personally think this is worth the trip. I don’t think you should look at it as a “highest priority”, but with five days in Cape Town, I would have it on my list. However, don’t be surprised if your boat and tour depart late and it appears somewhat disorganised. The company running the Robben Island boats and tours are notorious for being not very good (long story…). The thing is, there is more to Robben Island than just the political prison and Mandela, although this is obviously the main element and is interesting in its own right. The island has been used for many purposes, including a leper colony, and a World War II fortification. So it has a storied and interesting history, and it may also have some of the best views of Cape Town and Table Mountain you can get! Book ahead of time.

3) Traffic – Cape Town is a relatively uncongested city, but there is some build-up during rush hour. So I would avoid needing to be somewhere in a hurry coming into the city from outside of Cape Town during the period 7-9am, and needing to get out of the city from around 4-6pm. At both of these times, there are lots of locals driving into the city, or leaving the city respectively.

4) Winelands – absolutely, even if you are not big into wine. The wine valleys, estates/farms, and vineyards are beautiful, and most have excellent restaurants as well, ranging from Michelen-star equivalent dining, through to excellent bistro-style food, or even picnics in the lovely gardens.

The Paarl-Stellenbosch-Franschhoek wine route is the most famous, and for good reason. Numerous excellent wineries, eateries, and scenery along this route. Although difficult to pick, probably my personal favourite winefarm is Jordan (http://www.jordanwines.com/) – lovely setting, fantastic food (one of Cape Town’s top chefs – make a booking ahead of time at the fancier eatery), and great wines.

Also suggest taking a stroll around Franschhoek, and driving up the Franschhoek Pass behind the town. To mention only one, stop over at L’Ormarins wine estate on the way in (http://www.rupertwines.com/farms.php?farms_id=1). If you are a fan of all things motorcar related (and even if you are not, but can appreciate a lovely collection of “things” in a wonderful setting), the Franschhoek Motor Museum is a must visit (http://www.fmm.co.za/).

Slightly further afield is the little seaside town of Hermanus (which by the way has the best whale-watching in Cape Town and surrounds), and behind it is the Hemel en Aarde Valley and wine route (http://hermanuswineroute.com/hemel-en-aarde/). Again, lovely scenery and wines are the highlight (the salty winds blowing off the sea and up the valley lend the wines a unique taste). My pick out of many excellent farms along this route is Creation (http://www.creationwines.com/).

Closer to Cape Town city, and in case time is tight, we have the Constantia wine region. Much smaller than the others, but only a 20 minute drive from town.

5) City centre – definitely worth spending a day exploring the CBD, in my opinion. Lots of history, and lots going on. Cape Town is a fairly compact city, so it is easy to walk from place to place and explore. Would suggest a guided walking tour (cannot recommend one, perhaps TripAdvisor would be a good place to get recommendations) so you get all the interesting info that can be hidden away, although a self-guided tour with a good guidebook/map is perfectly doable.

Another option is a circuit on the Cape Town Hop-On/Hop-Off red bus (which departs from the V&A), which I always recommend as a quick way to get the low-down of a new place, and get some familiarity with the layout.

Also off the top of my head, a stroll through Company Gardens is great (during the day, not at night!).

6) Kirstenbosch is wonderful. It’s not going to blow anyone’s minds, but just is a lovely, serene place. Make sure you go on the raised walkway through the tree tops (otherwise known as the “Boomslang”, named after an indigenous treesnake due to its curvy nature).

Another option is to make an evening of it, and go the Sunday Summer Concert when you are there (http://www.sanbi.org/events/soil-kirstenbosch-nbg). Every summer Kirstenbosch hosts an outdoor concert every Sunday evening, with mostly local acts – very popular with Cape Townians who take a picnic and sit on the grass, listening to music and watching the stars come out!

Finally, the Kirstenbosch Tea Room does a great breakfast! Nothing better than taking an early morning stroll in the gardens, and ending with a big breakfast outside.

Couple of other things that come to mind:

• If you want the postcard views of Table Mountain, take a drive out to Blouberg Beach.
  • You may have heard of Long Street and been recommended to go there. In my opinion, overrated, crowded, and dodgy. You are not missing much if you stay away.
  • V&A Waterfront has some good places to eat and drink, but not great. Rather use TripAdvisor for suggestions on restaurants that meet your taste. Cape Town has so many excellent restaurants, cafes, boutique bakeries, food trucks, etc. And at the current exchange rate, all excellent value too.
  • An “event” in Cape Town is High Tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel. Book ahead if this sounds tempting (http://www.belmond.com/mount-nelson-hotel-cape-town/afternoon-tea-cape-town)
  • Go for a walk/run along the Sea Point Promenade, and through Green Point Park. Spectacular!

That’s all that comes to mind at the moment (I have left off all the rest of the usual – cable car, drive around the Peninsula, visit to Cape Point, penguins, aquarium, etc). Just enjoy! Cape Town is a wonderful place, you are going to have an amazing five days, and will be planning your next visit before you even depart!

With regards to Botswana, what are your plans there? Also a beautiful country that I have been privileged to visit, both in the dryer parts as well as the Delta. One small suggestion – purchase and take with you a guide to southern African birds. Botswana has the most incredible birdlife, that even those who are not bird watchers get sucked into the “game”. Always great in the evening to then look back on what you saw. This is the one I personally have (http://www.amazon.com/Newmans-Birds-Southern-Africa-Edition/dp/1770078762/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51c8Xz7E2QL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR98%2C160_&refRID=1JJ3PJJ4W7JR8JKQ86Y5).

With regards to Botswana, what are your plans there? Also a beautiful country that I have been privileged to visit, both in the dryer parts as well as the Delta. One small suggestion – purchase and take with you a guide to southern African birds. Botswana has the most incredible birdlife, that even those who are not bird watchers get sucked into the “game”. Always great in the evening to then look back on what you saw.

Super, WOW!! Really appreciate all of these wonderful details, tips, ideas, suggestions provided by Zimbo. Excellent I have copied ALL of these great comments to my total trip file. Still welcome and open to any added comments, viewpoints, suggestions. Don't be shy. Look forward to learning and hearing as much as possible. Fortunately, we have five days in Cape Town.

On Botswana in mid February, we will be staying at three different camps. These are: Savute Elephant Camp, in Chobe National Park; Khwai River Lodge adjacent to the Moremi Game Reserve and Eagle Island Lodge in the middle of Okavango Delta at Xaxaba Island. Several of the experts tell me how wonderful are these areas in this part of Botswana, rating them as the "best of the best". At this time of the year, the birds should be plenty and excellent, plus lots of animals, etc. Any added reactions/tips for Botswana or Victoria Falls?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 132,153 views for this posting.

Super, WOW!! Really appreciate all of these wonderful details, tips, ideas, suggestions provided by Zimbo. Excellent I have copied ALL of these great comments to my total trip file. Still welcome and open to any added comments, viewpoints, suggestions. Don't be shy. Look forward to learning and hearing as much as possible. Fortunately, we have five days in Cape Town.

On Botswana in mid February, we will be staying at three different camps. These are: Savute Elephant Camp, in Chobe National Park; Khwai River Lodge adjacent to the Moremi Game Reserve and Eagle Island Lodge in the middle of Okavango Delta at Xaxaba Island. Several of the experts tell me how wonderful are these areas in this part of Botswana, rating them as the "best of the best". At this time of the year, the birds should be plenty and excellent, plus lots of animals, etc. Any added reactions/tips for Botswana or Victoria Falls?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 132,153 views for this posting.

These lodges and areas are great choices, you are not going to have any regrets!

With regards to Victoria Falls, are you staying on the Zambian or Zimbabwean side? I am not sure what the latest visa situation is (certain nationalities used to be able to get on arrival for a fee), but if possible, I would try visit the Falls from both sides ie. from the Zambian side, and from the Zimbabwean side. Both perspectives are very different, but worthwhile. February is entering end of the rainy season - be prepared to get wet! :D

Another option I highly recommend, if the wallet allows, is the "Flight of the Angels". This is a helicopter flip over the Falls, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You should be able to organise this from either side of the border.

Finally, once the adrenalin has subsided from the heli-flight (or even the bungee jump off the bridge, if you are that way inclined!), go to the Victoria Falls Hotel on the Zimbabwe side (built in 1904) for lunch or tea on the outside terraces with a fantastic view over the gorge and bridge, with the "smoke that thunders" rising in the background.

vicfallshotel-tea.jpg

I am not sure what the latest visa situation is (certain nationalities used to be able to get on arrival for a fee)

Back in August, we got a visa that got us into both countries upon crossing the border from Botswana. It is the same price ($50, IIRC) for both countries as for 1. It's an easy walk across the bridge from one country to the other. The National Park for Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side charges an entry fee that varies depending on your home country. For people from the US, it was fairly expensive (as those things go). The Falls on the Zambian side were included because we were staying at a hotel there (The Royal Livingstone).

These lodges and areas are great choices, you are not going to have any regrets! With regards to Victoria Falls, are you staying on the Zambian or Zimbabwean side? I am not sure what the latest visa situation is (certain nationalities used to be able to get on arrival for a fee), but if possible, I would try visit the Falls from both sides ie. from the Zambian side, and from the Zimbabwean side. Both perspectives are very different, but worthwhile. February is entering end of the rainy season - be prepared to get wet! :D Another option I highly recommend, if the wallet allows, is the "Flight of the Angels". This is a helicopter flip over the Falls, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You should be able to organise this from either side of the border. Finally, once the adrenalin has subsided from the heli-flight (or even the bungee jump off the bridge, if you are that way inclined!)

azevedan: Back in August' date=' we got a visa that got us into both countries upon crossing the border from Botswana. It is the same price ($50, IIRC) for both countries as for 1. It's an easy walk across the bridge from one country to the other. The National Park for Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side charges an entry fee that varies depending on your home country. For people from the US, it was fairly expensive (as those things go). [b']The Falls on the Zambian side were included[/b] because we were staying at a hotel there (The Royal Livingstone).

Appreciate these added info item on the factors of crossing from Zambia into Zimbabwe, etc. Have done some added research and will see how things work (or not) when we are there just a month from today. We are staying at the sister hotel to the Royal Livingstone so we will have easy access to that key park mentioned. Yes, that helicopter ride is a very interesting option that I am considering and wanting to do. I have pulled up some more info and supposedly it is best to do that "helicopter adventure" in the morning.

Keep up the smart of this great info and background. Always looking for more, better tips, ideas, etc.

Below is a little comparison for Central Ohio versus Cape Town!! How would you vote? In 13 days will it be smart to head south of the Equator? That has been our plan for the past two Midwest winters and it has worked well in sailing a thousand miles up the Amazon River in early 2015 and going to Australia/New Zealand in early 2014. We are hoping for three in a row for Great Escapes from the Midwest COLD!!

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 56,418 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Should we go? Is there a difference? Here is comparing roughly 7:34 am in Columbus versus nearly the same time for (locally there at 2:47 pm in the afternoon) for Cape Town per AccuWeather. These are F temps, not in the C standard. Seem smart to head to Cape Town on Feb. 26?:

COLUMBUS, OHIO:

Jan2016PixsA1%201_zpsoyewh07d.jpg

CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA:

Jan2016PixsA2%201_zpsqhka19fe.jpg

Sure does seem smart!

Terry, will you be doing a trip report as you travel to and in Africa? I don't think there's a cruise involved, so not sure where to look for it.

:D

Safe travels and I hope it is the trip of a lifetime.