How I was trying to cruise on MSC. A REAL story step by step in pictures & video.

cruisetrail

We are going to book an inside cabin this time.

We plan to spend the least on the cabin.

That's why we seriously consider the Divina.

On the cruise in the Caribbean we'll be mostly out and about the ship.

The last place where we want to spend our cruise vacation is a cabin.

A first look at the ships' deck plans and amenities

MSC Divina

POSITIVE SIDE

MSC did a good job - they copied popular features from other cruise lines.

So the Divina now has a pool under sliding roof, mid-ship superstructure that houses dining and entertainment venues (imported from HAL), aft looking pool and water slide (from Carnival).

There are four elevator/staircase bunks along the ship and a couple of stairs in aft corners (imported from NCL).

Another trend MSC decided to follow is providing alternative dining venues.

Without looking into details (just a fact) - is positive.

NEGATIVE SIDE

Closed in design, dead ends.

The ship is lacking major features that we need on the cruise: front observation deck and wrap-around promenade deck that we normally use for jogging - so the Divina is lacking a jogging track.

What they marked as a "jogging track" in the deck plans has nothing to do with a jogging track. This is a regular sun deck full of loungers.

We get up earlier on the cruise to get most of the best time - the morning i the Caribbean.

Morning is the time when the day is fresh. So is the sun and the sea.

Pictures are marvelous.

The air is inspiring.

We normally do a few circles to enjoy the ride and burn some calories that will be replenished soon.

We never use treadmills on a cruise. Nothing is as stupid as jumping on a rubber belt while the whole promenade deck is at your disposal!

We would return to promenade deck later in the day and in the evening.

Promenade decks on cruise ships are huge places where cruisers enjoy themselves thus reducing the load on the sun decks on top.

Another great benefit of real promenades - they expand internal spaces.

Tired of a noisy lounge?

A refreshing panorama of the sea is just one step away - open the door!

On the Divina?

The most part of the "supposed to be a promenade deck" will be dull and boring like a factory backyard.

An alarming factor is Divina's total capacity near 4000 pax.

MSC advertises "kids sail free". That's good news for many but the adverse effect of this is predictable.

With the lack of alternative spaces, how will sun decks handle the whole capacity?

There is another complication there.

MSC has copied another feature - "ship within a ship" - from NCL.

On the Divina this is called "Yacht Club".

It's a miserable number of cabins (about 4%) that could be neglected completely.

But.... the public space allocated exclusively to this class of cabins is substantial.

For example, it includes front observation lounge.

Another missing feature we would use a lot is a hydropool in spa.

Public spaces on deck plans look quite chaotic.

For a ship of this size and capacity axial planning (RCI, NCL) would have been a dramatic improvement.

HAL Signature Class Ships

POSITIVE SIDE

It's easier to say what is missing: water slide.

These ships are designed as classic cruise ships with all the amenities in place.

NEGATIVE SIDE

Nothing major.

Minor - placement of a few for fee cabanas on Lido deck on the port side where they affect passengers flow (Eurodam).

They have been relocated properly on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Now we go to the pictures.

Edited by cruisetrail

Atrium!

All ship tours start there.

Let me pay a respect to this tradition.

I would not rate ships atria high in my rating of important features.

Yes, it's nice to pass by an say wow... one time.

Yes, atrium is a part of the ship character to some extent.

I've seen absolutely huge atria on different ships.

I've seen ships with less than "stunning" public spaces.

There are just two of them about which I would say: you must see those public spaces!

Atrium as an entertainment venue - good, but it depends on the quality of the entertainment...

So let's have a glance at the atria and then go ahead.

MSC Divina

Nice, bright, glitzy, very typical for mega ships - stairs through three decks and glass elevators soaring on the opposite wall.

42_zpsaed720c4.jpg

43_zps242d3975.jpg

HAL Signature Class ships

There is no traditional soaring atrium there.

This is a mid-size ship.

Actually the tonnage is able to accommodate a large atrium (see Carnival and Costa ships of this size).

HAL has opted for a different design.

This is an "inside out" atrium.

The atrium itself is small and cozy.

Glass elevators?

Yes, they are there - but not inside - they are outside.

Traditional glass elevators overlook atria.

Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam panoramic elevators overlook.. the sea!

This is very much in line with the whole concept of these ships - openness to the sea.

a66_zps15db9f97.jpg

a67_zpsc8e87e0e.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Atrium!

All ship tours start there.

Let me pay a respect to this tradition.

I would not rate ships atria high in my rating of important features.

Yes, it's nice to pass by an say wow... one time.

Yes, atrium is a part of the ship character to some extent.

I've seen absolutely huge atria on different ships.

I've seen ships with less than "stunning" public spaces.

There are just two of them about which I would say: you must see those public spaces!

Atrium as an entertainment venue - good, but it depends on the quality of the entertainment...

So let's have a glance at the atria and then go ahead.

MSC Divina

Nice, bright, glitzy, very typical for mega ships - stairs through three decks and glass elevators soaring on the opposite wall.

42_zpsaed720c4.jpg

43_zps242d3975.jpg

HAL Signature Class ships

There is no traditional soaring atrium there.

This is a mid-size ship.

Actually the tonnage is able to accommodate a large atrium (see Carnival and Costa ships of this size).

HAL has opted for a different design.

This is an "inside out" atrium.

The atrium itself is small and cozy.

Glass elevators?

Yes, they are there - but not inside - they are outside.

Traditional glass elevators overlook atria.

Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam panoramic elevators overlook.. the sea!

This is very much in line with the whole concept of these ships - openness to the sea.

a66_zps15db9f97.jpg

a67_zpsc8e87e0e.jpg

Nieuw Amsterdam Atrium Video

We are going to book an inside cabin this time.

We plan to spend the least on the cabin.

That's why we seriously consider the Divina.

On the cruise in the Caribbean we'll be mostly out and about the ship.

The last place where we want to spend our cruise vacation is a cabin. A first look at the ships's deck plans and amenities.

Another missing feature we would use a lot is a hydropool in spa.

So do we on our next 27. July cruise on Divina (inside cabin) East Med.

On every cruise we spent most time out of cabin, but also out of ship too. That is the reason why we don't care about ship, as much as about itineraries. In Mediterranean we could see so much in every single port.

But you are cruising Caribbean. I understand.

And you are wrong about spa. There is large jacuzzi/hydropool in spa on Fantasia & Splendida (we used it every time we was in spa). So I believe that Diva has it also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bet you don't cruise too often ,by the time you choose your ship season is over LOL. you forgot to say one thing- Hal is only company where people use promenade deck ,because its sooo boring I cruised on Eurodam and Noordam(kids sail free by the way both times ) and I can say one thing- HAL beautiful line if you have 1-3 years old kid with you ,and you have to go to sleep at 9 pm. or you are 70 and you need small ship to cruise with your wheel chair. you forgot to mention how lime is HAL shows and that they don’t have any entertainment crew just CD and assistant.

I bet you don't cruise too often ,by the time you choose your ship season is over LOL. you forgot to say one thing- Hal is only company where people use promenade deck ,because its sooo boring I cruised on Eurodam and Noordam(kids sail free by the way both times ) and I can say one thing- HAL beautiful line if you have 1-3 years old kid with you ,and you have to go to sleep at 9 pm. or you are 70 and you need small ship to cruise with your wheel chair. you forgot to mention how lime is HAL shows and that they don’t have any entertainment crew just CD and assistant.

I'm in my fifties, have sailed on many cruise lines and love any ship with a promenade including the lovely Nieuw Amsterdam. I disagree with your comments regarding the shows on HAL and those suggesting that the only way to enjoy the line is to be in your seventies.

Generalities shuch as years are not the most usefull way of gaining insight on cruising. My two cents.

Only true 5-star (or 6-star) luxurious cruise ships or may be super large ships such as Oasis could claim "the ship is the destination". Though I personally think a nice itinerary is still a very important deal maker to me.

For those us in the USA, Why would we want to have sea days in the Mediterrean and spend $1200.00 for airfare if all we is a shipboard cruise????

Décor and Design

Reading cruise ships reviews you‘ll often come across the word “design”.

Note that in most cases this is about décor that is just a fraction of the whole design of the ship.

Often reviewers are not willing (not able) to assess the whole design, so a couple of nicely decorated and planned “stunning” public rooms constitute a “beautiful” ship.

The Divina has been decorated in contemporary style.

I have searched many photos and videos of the Divina and her sister ships.

I have been on ships with similar glitzy décor.

My impression.

Divina’s décor is sparkling, but no major idea, no leitmotif are seen behind it.

It seems rather generic to me.

This style can be equally good for a land-based hotel.

On the contrary, Eurodam / Niew Amsterdam feature distinctive themes in their décor: sea travel and exploration, history of Holland America Line, Rembrandt, New York (originally founded as Nieuw Amsterdam).

Walking around Eurodam / Nieuw Amsterdam public rooms is like reading a book.

Nautical theme is a specific flavor that makes a ship feel like a ship, not like a hotel.

From this point of view, Divina’s décor seems rather bland.

Maybe numerous reviewers overlook something?

A painting on board of the Nieuw Amsterdam: SS Nieuw Amsterdam (a famous liner) is seen on the background of the ms Willem Ruys that later would become ill-fated ms Achille Lauro – the most known ship of MSC prehistory:

a62_zps3384eeee.jpg

Food!

Food is another tricky word - a favorite word of many cruise reviewers.

What is food?

What is good food on a cruise ship?

Is it subjective?

How to make it objective?

A very primitive approach to cruise ship food - this is what we eat in the Main Dining Room (MDR).

In fact, MDR food is a fraction of the whole complex dining concept - same as decor is just a part of design.

Food on a cruise ship is most and foremost what is offered outside MDR.

We normally have two or three evenings in specialty restaurants.

Rarely miss formal nights in MDR - not for formal attire (let alone Cunard, actual dress code is pretty relaxed on all ships nowadays - HAL Signature Class is not an exception) - for more festive food.

One night - possibly in the buffet.

Breakfast and lunch - always in the buffet to benefit from great selection, flexibility and beautiful sea views.

Afternoon tea - a signature of excellence for any ship, a great tradition inherited from the glorious era of ocean liners.

Proper afternoon tea on classy cruise ships is served in MDR or dedicated loungers.

Various venues like yummy pastry shops - welcome!

Tastes differ.

How to convert so subjective thing into a useful tool that helps assess the quality of the whole product?

Easy.

See how dining service is organized throughout the ship, what options are available and how they look, what is included in the price and what is extra, what items are in the menu....

This information will get you 90% understanding of what food means on this ship even before you have a bite...

This is how our table will look like on the Eurodam / Nieuw Amsterdam:

a70_zpsa21f74f4.jpg

Now let's take a look in the Gala Dinner Menu on the MSC Divina and Holland America Signature Class ships.

These menus are quite recent.

Simply get an idea...

28_zps6414cdef.jpg

a54_zpsea65e0a6.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

An important subjective note:

The portions are bigger on HAL; I do not dispute this, however there is more flavor in a traditional MSC dish than there is in any number of HAL MDR dishes.

I don't consider myself a "foodie" but I can claim to be extensively well traveled with five of the seven continents already under my belt.....at 32 nonetheless; and from street vendors in Singapore to two starred restaurants in Belgium I have never been as disappointed and left wanting in food as I was when I ate in the MDR on HAL.

Our cruise ships dining tour is taking us to the Kingdom of informal dining -

Buffet!

Interiors do not play major role in our buffet experience - the food does.

However, let's have a glance:

22_zps230f1dba.jpg

a16_zps257327f2.jpg

An important note before we look at the buffet offers.

1. Have something to eat near your computer.

2. MSC Divina food - as documented by MSC Divina Mediterranean cruisers (again - many thanks).

I am in the (not too hopeless?) hope that things will improve by the time the Divina starts her regular cruises from MIA.

3. You'll see just a bit of Eurodam buffet food. MSC will compete with Carnival and NCL, not with HAL.

HAL has happened to be in comparison just because of a good deal for a cabin for a family of four...

MSC Divina Buffet

13_zpsde948d83.jpg

14_zpsd40d09a5.jpg

15_zps3e4271d4.jpg

16_zps04e4fc61.jpg

17_zps7cb3c8e9.jpg

18_zps04221942.jpg

HAL Eurodam / Nieuw Amsterdam Buffet

Ten kinds of fruit juices including freshly squeezed orange juice (unlimited & free):

a13_zpse9ff31ad.jpg

a5_zpsbc81c639.jpg

a6_zpsfd42ee14.jpg

a50_zps91ce44b7.jpg

a56_zps30c33b3a.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Have to say that the Eurodam buffet looks just like the Diner we were in last November in Fort Lauderdale! the Divina looks far better.

I will concede that the breakfast buffet on Nieuw Amsterdam was superb; but that was where it ended; the rest was overcooked, unimaginative, oily and flavorless.

Food!

Food is another tricky word - a favorite word of many cruise reviewers.

What is food?

What is good food on a cruise ship?

Is it subjective?

How to make it objective?

A very primitive approach to cruise ship food - this is what we eat in the Main Dining Room (MDR).

In fact, MDR food is a fraction of the whole complex dining concept - same as decor is just a part of design.

Food on a cruise ship is most and foremost what is offered outside MDR.

We normally have two or three evenings in specialty restaurants.

Rarely miss formal nights in MDR - not for formal attire (let alone Cunard, actual dress code is pretty relaxed on all ships nowadays - HAL Signature Class is not an exception) - for more festive food.

One night - possibly in the buffet.

Breakfast and lunch - always in the buffet to benefit from great selection, flexibility and beautiful sea views.

Afternoon tea - a signature of excellence for any ship, a great tradition inherited from the glorious era of ocean liners.

Proper afternoon tea on classy cruise ships is served in MDR or dedicated loungers.

Various venues like yummy pastry shops - welcome!

Tastes differ.

How to convert so subjective thing into a useful tool that helps assess the quality of the whole product?

Easy.

See how dining service is organized throughout the ship, what options are available and how they look, what is included in the price and what is extra, what items are in the menu....

This information will get you 90% understanding of what food means on this ship even before you have a bite...

This is how our table will look like on the Eurodam / Nieuw Amsterdam:

a70_zpsa21f74f4.jpg

Now let's take a look in the Gala Dinner Menu on the MSC Divina and Holland America Signature Class ships.

These menus are quite recent.

Simply get an idea...

28_zps6414cdef.jpg

a54_zpsea65e0a6.jpg

LOL you are so funny .if you compare ,please don't compare HAL formal night menue with MSC regular one and dont post only 1/2 of MSC menu.

Edited by GOLDENBONNY