Passports needed?

jcmccarthy

Ok. We are getting mixed opinions...do we need passports to go to the Bahamas from NYC on NCL in December 2013?

You will be fine with a valid state photo ID like a drivers license. However, if something goes wrong and you miss the ship in Nassau, you will be screwed trying to get a flight home. I would bring the passport if I were you. Don't play with fate!

It is my understanding that you need more than just a driver's license, you also need proof of citizenship. And they need to match names (think maiden name/married name).

And some birth certificates don't work. Check the link above to be sure.

Best advice: get a passport. For so many reasons. It's all you need, it is sure fire, it can get you on a plane if you need to fly for some reason.

It is my understanding that you need more than just a driver's license, you also need proof of citizenship. And they need to match names (think maiden name/married name).

And some birth certificates don't work. Check the link above to be sure.

Best advice: get a passport. For so many reasons. It's all you need, it is sure fire, it can get you on a plane if you need to fly for some reason.

Gee I forgot about the proof of citizenship! I never found out because I always bring my passport! Definitely the way to go. That's why these boards are so good I guess. I'm glad you caught that my friend!

You will be fine with a valid state photo ID like a drivers license. However, if something goes wrong and you miss the ship in Nassau, you will be screwed trying to get a flight home. I would bring the passport if I were you. Don't play with fate!

You might be delayed a little and have some extra expenses but you won't be screwed- you will still get home. And fact is missing the ship is almost entirely within the passenger's control- don't stray too far from the ship, use ship sponsored excursions, don't lose track of time, don't get overserved at Senor Frogs (and lose track of time). If one has to fly home from the cruise then one would need a passport, yes, but each person has to assess that risk for themselves.

Don't forget that besides a DL they need an official birth certificate, not one from the hospital.

The birth certificate has to have the raised state seal on it.

Here's what the DHS regulations say: "That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate...". Doesn't require a raised seal at all, which is good because some states no longer use them;).

Here's what the DHS regulations say: "That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate...". Doesn't require a raised seal at all, which is good because some states no longer use them;).

This, precisely. We have enhanced drivers licenses (only available in some states) that require the same proof of ID/citizenship that passports do, so when we travel, we only take our DL, but for those who don't have an EDL, the requirement is DL or state issued photo ID+ original or certified copy of birth certificate.

You might be delayed a little and have some extra expenses but you won't be screwed- you will still get home. And fact is missing the ship is almost entirely within the passenger's control- don't stray too far from the ship, use ship sponsored excursions, don't lose track of time, don't get overserved at Senor Frogs (and lose track of time). If one has to fly home from the cruise then one would need a passport, yes, but each person has to assess that risk for themselves.

People sometimes "miss the ship" for reasons far beyond their control, like a medical emergency.

When traveling internationally, it's always good to have your passport with you, even though you may not need it.

People sometimes "miss the ship" for reasons far beyond their control, like a medical emergency.

When traveling internationally, it's always good to have your passport with you, even though you may not need it.

I did say "almost entirely", not "entirely";). Yes, things can happen outside one's control that would require them to fly back but the risk of that varies by each individual and each individual's acceptance of that risk will also vary. Fact is there are provisions in the DHS regulations to return passengers because of medical and other emergencies.

Generally people that travel on closed loop cruises with a birth certificate/government ID don't have passports, but if you happen to have one then yes, I would agree that it's best to take it with you even on a cruise that doesn't require it.

The birth certificate has to have the raised state seal on it.

MN is one of the states without raised seal - they use a sort of multi-color almost holographic seal to make it an official cert.

A few (amongst probably many) other reasons to have a passport anyway:

1. Works really well as ID for even just domestic flights in USA. I have a sense that it speeds security a little.

2. If an unbelievable fare pops at last minute for an international cruise having a passport already could make it possible to do.

3. Makes visiting Canada possible.

Here is the answer you can check on the State Dept web site

If you sail from an U.S. port going to most of the Caribbean and return to the same port via a cruise a picture ID along with your birth certificate is ll that is needed.

Remember this is only good if on a cruise ship going to the caribbean, if you fly a passport is required

Problems occure when you are not sailing back with the ship. This happens if you miss the ship or have an emergency and must fly home from a port of call.

Example; a few years ago a hurrican was on its way to Puerto Rico. Port master told all cruise ship to leave by 5:00 pm. Most ship schedules are 8:00 pm or later. As it happens many passengers were just getting into the airport, the cruise line (not NCL) met them at the airport and put them up in a hotel Next day they would be flown to first port of call BUT YOU NEEDED A PASSPORT or they would be flown homw.

I have heard of people getting hurt in a port of call and missed departure. Better have a passport.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING A PASSPORT better safe than sorry

Reference the birth certificate, it has to be an official state/county issued version, whether that state or county has a raised seal or not. A hospital issued birth document is what doesn't meet requirements. And that's where confusion and denied boarding has occurred before.

And I might add, several years ago I tried to get a passport issued with a non govt. issued birth certificate. That won't work either. Had to get the real thing, which I had lost, reissued by the state of my birth before I could get the passport.

Here is the answer you can check on the State Dept web site

If you sail from an U.S. port going to most of the Caribbean and return to the same port via a cruise a picture ID along with your birth certificate is ll that is needed.

Remember this is only good if on a cruise ship going to the caribbean, if you fly a passport is required

Problems occure when you are not sailing back with the ship. This happens if you miss the ship or have an emergency and must fly home from a port of call.

Example; a few years ago a hurrican was on its way to Puerto Rico. Port master told all cruise ship to leave by 5:00 pm. Most ship schedules are 8:00 pm or later. As it happens many passengers were just getting into the airport, the cruise line (not NCL) met them at the airport and put them up in a hotel Next day they would be flown to first port of call BUT YOU NEEDED A PASSPORT or they would be flown homw.

I have heard of people getting hurt in a port of call and missed departure. Better have a passport.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING A PASSPORT better safe than sorry

It all depends on how much risk you are willing to take vs the cost. We always mitigated the risk as much as possible by flying in the day before and taking excursions that were not risky and returned to the ship with hours to spare. In the example you sited, we would have been on the ship when it sailed out of port having been to the port the day before, aware of the hurricane, and watching the cruise updates. The chances of anything happening that would cause you to need a passport are extremely slim on a closed loop and they can vary depending on your own personal factors. One thing for sure is you will not be left stranded in a foreign country and in cases of emergency there are waivers that our government can give you to get home. If it is not an emergency it may cost you a little more in time or money....but the chances are greatly in your favor that you will be on that ship sailing away with it when it leaves anyways.

Each family must decide for themselves if the risk is worth the savings. We did not have any passports for our first 9 cruises with absolutely no issues. Our kids still do not have passports because their risk factors did not change. DH & I just got passports because our October cruise is the first one for us with the teens left at home, 16 and 19 year olds who are relatively new drivers. That is the risk that put our factors high enough to be worth getting passports for the 2 of us. It is a personal decision that could change over time as the families risks or travel needs change over time. I am personally not in "the better safe than sorry" group if the risk is to small, IMHO, to be worrying over it....I have other things I could use that money for.

It's so true. The money we need to spend all at once to get passports for the whole family is quite steep...we need to really weigh our choices and make a sensible decision. Thank you to all for the input...it truly is helpful!

It's so true. The money we need to spend all at once to get passports for the whole family is quite steep...we need to really weigh our choices and make a sensible decision. Thank you to all for the input...it truly is helpful!

Because getting passports all at once now is so steep have you thought of getting them gradually?

I say this because both our children were able to travel overseas either with friends or on school trips while teens and it was no problem because they already had passports. When my son came home all excited at 14 because his best friend's family invited him to Costa Rica it was easy to say Yes! Pack and Go!

Because getting passports all at once now is so steep have you thought of getting them gradually?

I say this because both our children were able to travel overseas either with friends or on school trips while teens and it was no problem because they already had passports. When my son came home all excited at 14 because his best friend's family invited him to Costa Rica it was easy to say Yes! Pack and Go!

That is a rational I have never understood for purchasing passports when they are not needed yet. IMHO it doesn't matter if you purchase 4 passports during the course of the year or purchase 4 passports all at once. In the end you still spent the same amount of money to purchase 4 passports and if you didn't need them at that time you not only spent the money but you wasted passport time.

If my kids came to me with an opportunity to go with a friend overseas, I would get them a passport because their travel needs changed to require one. Just because they do not have one for their closed loop cruises doesn't mean I wouldn't get them one for travel that required it when/if they ever needed it. I would not get them one to go on our upcoming closed loop cruise because its not required and IMHO not needed for them yet....why waste those passport years until they are actually needed.

For so many reasons. It's all you need, it is sure fire, it can get you on a plane if you need to fly for some reason.

I agree...better safe than sorry...a Passport is the best form of ID for any travel....

If my kids came to me with an opportunity to go with a friend overseas, I would get them a passport because their travel needs changed to require one. Just because they do not have one for their closed loop cruises doesn't mean I wouldn't get them one for travel that required it when/if they ever needed it. I would not get them one to go on our upcoming closed loop cruise because its not required and IMHO not needed for them yet....why waste those passport years until they are actually needed.

What if the opportunity came up short notice? I was offered the chance to spend two weeks in Ukraine this summer at an all-inclusive price of $350 (including flight). I was given 3 weeks notice of the trip. I have a passport, but I couldn't get the time off of work. I offered the spot to several of my friends, and none could take advantage because they didn't have a passport, and the cost to expedite is sky high.

I am a former consular officer, the person at an embassy who would be charged with assisting you with your emergency and trying to get you documented to return to the US if you were not able to go on the ship for some reason. First off, I always advocate for people to have a passport for international travel, whether or not it is required for their particular itinerary, because certain things generally cannot be done without a passport (like flying home from a port that you cruised into). Secondly, once you are "in the system" because you have been issued a passport (even if it was a while ago), your identity and citizenship can be verified by the embassy. If you have not yet gone through that process, it is up to you to somehow document your identity and citizenship while lying unconscious in a hospital bed or when beloved family desperately need you back home. The issuance process can take a few days depending on your situation, and when time is precious those days are unbearable. The embassy or consulate will work with you from the moment they are aware of your situation and will do everything in their power to assist you, regardless of your circumstances, but the burden is on you.

Finally, I want to point out that all of the discussion we see here of weighing risks and risk management fails to take into consideration that it may not be YOUR actions that cause you to have an emergency-- it may be someone else's. Yes, it is important to be aware and to be a good decision maker, but if you cross paths with a poor decision maker-- a guide who doesn't maintain his vehicle, a road accident that is another driver's fault, someone else's medical crisis that delays your group, theft of your documents (which is why I leave mine on the ship and carry photocopies, but many people on these boards prefer to carry them ashore), etc-- you will still not be able to get home on the ship and will need to work through the embassy to get documented to fly home. This is purely anecdotal and my personal experience, but while the vast majority of American citizens I dealt with who were arrested abroad were ultimately found guilty (and therefore would have known that there was a risk of detention in a foreign country because they chose to engage in illegal activity), most hospital cases and deaths were not events that could have been anticipated, and therefore these people would not have been able to predict their need for a passport and the benefits thereof. This discussion of risk seems to take for granted that we have total control of the world around us, and while that is never true, I think it is even less true when we are in a foreign country where we do not speak the language/ know the customs and norms/ have the ability to take care of our own needs.

I am a former consular officer, the person at an embassy who would be charged with assisting you with your emergency and trying to get you documented to return to the US if you were not able to go on the ship for some reason. First off, I always advocate for people to have a passport for international travel, whether or not it is required for their particular itinerary, because certain things generally cannot be done without a passport (like flying home from a port that you cruised into). Secondly, once you are "in the system" because you have been issued a passport (even if it was a while ago), your identity and citizenship can be verified by the embassy. If you have not yet gone through that process, it is up to you to somehow document your identity and citizenship while lying unconscious in a hospital bed or when beloved family desperately need you back home. The issuance process can take a few days depending on your situation, and when time is precious those days are unbearable. The embassy or consulate will work with you from the moment they are aware of your situation and will do everything in their power to assist you, regardless of your circumstances, but the burden is on you.

Finally, I want to point out that all of the discussion we see here of weighing risks and risk management fails to take into consideration that it may not be YOUR actions that cause you to have an emergency-- it may be someone else's. Yes, it is important to be aware and to be a good decision maker, but if you cross paths with a poor decision maker-- a guide who doesn't maintain his vehicle, a road accident that is another driver's fault, someone else's medical crisis that delays your group, theft of your documents (which is why I leave mine on the ship and carry photocopies, but many people on these boards prefer to carry them ashore), etc-- you will still not be able to get home on the ship and will need to work through the embassy to get documented to fly home. This is purely anecdotal and my personal experience, but while the vast majority of American citizens I dealt with who were arrested abroad were ultimately found guilty (and therefore would have known that there was a risk of detention in a foreign country because they chose to engage in illegal activity), most hospital cases and deaths were not events that could have been anticipated, and therefore these people would not have been able to predict their need for a passport and the benefits thereof. This discussion of risk seems to take for granted that we have total control of the world around us, and while that is never true, I think it is even less true when we are in a foreign country where we do not speak the language/ know the customs and norms/ have the ability to take care of our own needs.

Thank you for your important and informative post...:) I hope it helps !

What if the opportunity came up short notice? I was offered the chance to spend two weeks in Ukraine this summer at an all-inclusive price of $350 (including flight). I was given 3 weeks notice of the trip. I have a passport, but I couldn't get the time off of work. I offered the spot to several of my friends, and none could take advantage because they didn't have a passport, and the cost to expedite is sky high.

Highly doubtfuly in our family. First DH & I have work limitations and DS and DD both have college and sport committments that would make it next to impossible for any of us to take a last minute foreign trip. Each family will have its on travel needs. For some, like ours, a last minute foreign trip would be an impossibility even with a passport. Others may have more flexibility....we each have to weigh our own travel needs.

Archived