Queens Grill cut backs

billyvegas

We are just disembarking the QE 2 nighter to Hamburg. Apparently on a 2 night cruise Queens Grill guests are only entitled to ONE bottle of wine per suite per trip! I fought my corner and got our one bottle replenished on the second night, it took a while. But that is the rule now for 2 nights. Nothing in the Cunard description of QG of this change.

We are just disembarking the QE 2 nighter to Hamburg. Apparently on a 2 night cruise Queens Grill guests are only entitled to ONE bottle of wine per suite per trip! I fought my corner and got our one bottle replenished on the second night, it took a while. But that is the rule now for 2 nights. Nothing in the Cunard description of QG of this change.

What is the world coming to!! Clotted cream will be next I think.:rolleyes:;):rolleyes::)

Wot! No clotted cream? Well say goodbye to chocolates on the pillow next!

I thought the real clotted cream had already gone and it was just double thick regular cream.

Are there still chocolates? I see RCI has dispensed with them (but they were probably cheap chocolate anyway).

Who's the maitre d' in the QG currently?

Do they have the full a la carte on a two nighter voyage?

Sorry to hear about your wine, good for you that you stuck to your guns.

I thought the real clotted cream had already gone and it was just double thick regular cream.

Are there still chocolates? I see RCI has dispensed with them (but they were probably cheap chocolate anyway).

They still have the chocolates every night, but I'm pretty sure they weren't serving clotted cream in the QGL earlier this year.

They still have the chocolates every night, but I'm pretty sure they weren't serving clotted cream in the QGL earlier this year.

Having clotted cream in QG is probably not highly relevant to me at present as I will be "ruling Britannia" on the upcoming cruise though I do have a window so that's a plus.

I can but dream of the heady heights of QG :)

If you can afford a Queens Grill suit ,you can certainly buy a bottle of wine the 2nd. night:confused:

There was real clotted cream - complete with yellow crust - in the QG lounge on QE in January

They had them on the circumnavigation. Maybe yours got knicked while you weren't watching. :D

Rule Britannia.

There was real clotted cream - complete with yellow crust - in the QG lounge on QE in January

Well they weren't serving it on QM2. Cunard can be inconsistent sometimes, why all the ships wouldn't be serving it in the QGL is baffling to me.

Were you in QG? Was it good? Where was your suite, mid-ships or stern?

If you can afford a Queens Grill suit ,you can certainly buy a bottle of wine the 2nd. night:confused:

How very true. It's funny how those most able to pay for things are the most likely to complain - and this applies throughout life. We met nothing but kindness and courtesy in steerage on Queen Victoria last month from both crew and passengers. I don't think I would ever want to be in the Grills having read and seen the way most of them behave!

Well they weren't serving it on QM2. Cunard can be inconsistent sometimes, why all the ships wouldn't be serving it in the QGL is baffling to me.

Were you in QG? Was it good? Where was your suite, mid-ships or stern?

Yes, we were in QG and midships. The service was excellent as were the meals in QG. To be honest, there was little to complain about - in fact I can't think of anything now, not that Cunard were responsible for anyway.

How very true. It's funny how those most able to pay for things are the most likely to complain - and this applies throughout life. We met nothing but kindness and courtesy in steerage on Queen Victoria last month from both crew and passengers. I don't think I would ever want to be in the Grills having read and seen the way most of them behave!

The upgrade was £100 from balcony to Q3 (no brainer) in fact the whole trip cost £299pp including transfers to the airport and BA flight to Heathrow, what the cost has to do with anything, I don't know, maybe Neil can explain. The bottom line is Cunard advertise that you get one bottle per person which are replenished as needed, this wasn't the case. But amazingly there was a bottle of Pol Acker alongside the Champagne! It was not clotted cream, but that like Caviar doesn't interest me. But my extra couple of glasses of wine before bed do!

Who's the maitre d' in the QG currently?

Do they have the full a la carte on a two nighter voyage?

Sorry to hear about your wine, good for you that you stuck to your guns.

I can't remember his name the stout German ( I think ) fellow Gruber?

A la carte 2nd night only.

I couldn't agree more. One pays the money and takes ones choice. These short cruises are not what one experiences on a longer voyage in the grills, having said that the grills are no longer what they used to be....sad but true. I can understand folk wanting to have a taste of the high life in the grills but one has to remember that Cunard are only offering a wee taste here....and....l have to say that even on longer voyages one has to put the foot down when it comes to the so called 'free' booze in QG.....hard work these days I'm afraid.

Having clotted cream in QG is probably not highly relevant to me at present as I will be "ruling Britannia" on the upcoming cruise though I do have a window so that's a plus.

I can but dream of the heady heights of QG :)

I used to do Britannia then one trip I went for a QG cabin and I was ruined. I can never do anything less than a QG cabin. What would I do without a Butler? Who would help me unpack? Who would do the laundry? Who would press my pants for formal night? And who would come to the cabin and mix a Martinii for me? How would I get by without someone to call when a Britannia Cabin "person" is in my Deck Chair on the Queen's Grill Sun Deck?:eek: What is a Weekend? he he he he :D

............................ I don't think I would ever want to be in the Grills having read and seen the way most of them behave!

What a strange point of view to hold. I doubt you would clearly identify the majority of QG passengers in the commumal areas of the ship, even if you had a non-jaundiced eye available. I certainly couldn't, and that's with a head start of seeing some exit the lift on the top floor and take a deep breath of the rarified air. You've got more chance of figuring out who's the air marshall on a flight.

As for what you have read, never trust it! I once read that people who like the colour yellow are not to be trusted, but I've always given them the benefit of the doubt.

In defence of QG freebies, let me offer a contrast with Celebrity. Our last two cruises were in a big ol' Royal Suite. We got the free spirits, but no wine, let alone any chance of it being replaced when gone. As for free sodas and mixers in the cabin, forget it. Worse, passengers are limited to two bottles of their own wine to bring on board and defiantely no hooch. QG wins the booze freebie test hands down.

Archived