Afternoon Tea?

Is this still offered? We will be on the Navigator next summer after a several year break from RCCL.

TIA!

There are afternoon snacks in the Windjammer, but I don't think they call it tea anymore. From what I read here, it's nothing like "tea" on some other cruise lines.

Is this still offered? We will be on the Navigator next summer after a several year break from RCCL.

TIA!

Some cruise lines do offer it. Oceania does a wonderful afternoon tea with fancy sandwiches, pastries and scones with clotted cream. And service!

The tea itself on Royal Caribbean is really poor quality. I seem to remember it used to be quite good, twinings I think, but on my last cruise it wasn't. There were several different types - breakfast tea, Earl Grey, Darjeeling etc, I tried them all, sometimes with 2 tea bags to the cup and it still didn't hit the spot!

TIA!

Yes...and they do still call it "Tea Time" in the WJ from 3:30-5:00pm...Actually they have great scones and their bread pudding with vanilla sauce is a favorite..Of course it's not the "high tea" some other cruiselines and some of you prefer (expect) but it's not bad as this is usually a very popular snack time as I'm sure many of you have noticed when onboard ;)

I visited Windjammer twice for tea time. The have little sandwiches and several different types of scones. The tea selection is pretty weak. But overall it was ok. The sandwiches and scones are not by each other on the buffet so make sure you walk around. They did have cucumber sandwiches in case anyone was wondering. Happy sailing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I visited Windjammer twice for tea time. The have little sandwiches and several different types of scones. The tea selection is pretty weak. But overall it was ok. The sandwiches and scones are not by each other on the buffet so make sure you walk around. They did have cucumber sandwiches in case anyone was wondering. Happy sailing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, I hadn't heard about this on our first cruises on Mariner, but read about it here and then sought it out on our last cruise. I agree the tea selection on board is pretty weak, but the bread pudding and scones are pretty good. Because we have late seating, we usually wander through the WJ late afternoon, and we enjoyed it.

I think I'm going to throw some tea bags in a ziplock and bring my own next time.

This would actually be a great idea for an additional activity on board. I'd certainly pay a fee for an old-English style tea with scones, little sandwiches etc., some good conversation in a relaxed setting and perhaps a pianist or other background music like on our Celebrity cruise awhile back. Perhaps an assistant cruise director could give a little spiel about the types of teas or the tradition of High Tea.

Heck, I'm paying fees for the Prohibition party, Rita's Cantina party and cupcake decorating for my kids. This event would be for me.

Are you listening, RCL?

This would actually be a great idea for an additional activity on board. I'd certainly pay a fee for an old-English style tea with scones, little sandwiches etc., some good conversation in a relaxed setting and perhaps a pianist or other background music like on our Celebrity cruise awhile back. Perhaps an assistant cruise director could give a little spiel about the types of teas or the tradition of High Tea.

Heck, I'm paying fees for the Prohibition party, Rita's Cantina party and cupcake decorating for my kids. This event would be for me.

Are you listening, RCL?

How much would you pay though? Celebrity (sister company) has an afternoon tea on one sea day, served in a specialty restaurant, but it's $25/pp which is too steep for me, especially since (like the Windjammer) all the same snacks are available in other parts of the ship.

Are you listening, RCL?

Carnival had a very nice complimentary afternoon tea in their mdr on sea days. I would definitely attend if RC offered something like this.

How much would you pay though? Celebrity (sister company) has an afternoon tea on one sea day, served in a specialty restaurant, but it's $25/pp which is too steep for me, especially since (like the Windjammer) all the same snacks are available in other parts of the ship.

The charge on Celebrity is for a Champagne afternoon tea, we were on Eclipse in March 2013 and this was only done once out of a 14 day Caribbean Sailing. I believe that the afternoon tea snacks were available in the OceanView Buffet every day from around 3..30/4pm.

On the other hand we were on Sea Princess in March 2011 and they held afternoon tea everyday in the MDR with white glove service and silver tea/coffee pots and this was free of charge with a string quartet playing every day, with scones with clotted cream and jam, small sandwiches and a selection of pastries and biscuits. We used to skip lunch on Princess ship to go to afternoon tea, but we never experienced it at all on Eclipse. We felt $25 dollars was a wee bit steep for the experience, and didn't realise the buffet did sandwiches, scones and cakes until quite late into our 14 days cruise.

Princess serves a very nice afternoon tea at 3pm, at no extra charge. Good tea, and wonderful scones with clotted cream! I wish RCCL would offer this.

My one and only cruise with PCL (RCI loyalist) I was looking forward to this PCL "Tea Time"...Sorry but they herded us in like cattle, sat us so close to each other (Yikes :eek:) I couldn't wait to get out of there :rolleyes:

My one and only cruise with PCL (RCI loyalist) I was looking forward to this PCL "Tea Time"...Sorry but they herded us in like cattle, sat us so close to each other (Yikes :eek:) I couldn't wait to get out of there :rolleyes:

Wow! Completely different experience from what we've had on our last couple of cruises. That's too bad. :(

Nothing beats the Afternoon Tea on the Queen Mary 2. White gloved servers offer a variety of small sandwiches including, salmon and cream cheese, cucumber, fish.

This is complemented by a round of delicious cakes, scones with clotted cream and piping hot English tea. It all takes place in the opulent Queens Ballroom while a string quartet plucks a delightful ditty for background music.

This is one of the highlights of every cruise and there is no extra charge for it.

Jonathan

I was terribly disappointed on the RCI 14N Jewel of the Seas Oct 28th - Nov 9th, 2012 cruise that there was no Afternoon Tea as I had experienced on all my previous (& subsequent cruises). They told me about the so called tea in the WJ, ugh, who calls that afternoon tea and those teabags 'tea'. Even with two they are poor quality, I've thought of taking a bag and small teapot with my own loose tea on the next RCI cruise.

Finallly they 'allowed' me into an Afternoon Tea for those on the cruise from England! Only because I had complained daily and been told each day it would be on the next sea day, we had six! I was told not to tell any other non-English cruisers about it. It was decent with live music and scones and tea sandwiches and the other participants were lovely; my grandmother is from the Isle of Man so I was graciously welcomed, ha!

But I am quite disappointed that there are no Afternoon Teas on sea days.....

Yes, Carnival had afternoon tea the one at sea day we just had. There was tea (you had to ask for lemon or milk though...) a couple of sandwiches and some sweets. The food was good and they brought everything on carts, but the service was a little disjointed.

I was terribly disappointed on the RCI 14N Jewel of the Seas Oct 28th - Nov 9th, 2012 cruise that there was no Afternoon Tea as I had experienced on all my previous (& subsequent cruises). They told me about the so called tea in the WJ, ugh, who calls that afternoon tea ....

You know what? No one except the people in this thread call it "Afternoon Tea". There is no afternoon tea or high tea or any other kind of a tea on RCI ships. They have "Afternoon Snacks" in the Windjammer - look at the Cruise Compass, that is what it is called. No one ever said it was white glove service. It is what it is... a snack between regular meals! LOL

People are mentioning other lines and all, but on RCI, there is no tea service, pretty simple. You can probably find something you like to eat there (as mentioned, the bread pudding and vanilla sauce is yummy!) but if anyone is expecting or even hoping for little tea sandwiches with the crusts cut off and white glove service, RCI is not the line for you. *shrug*

Archived