What to do in Akaroa

Hi

I am on Celebrity Solstice Aukland to Sydney March 2014. I have had a look at the onboard tours and I am pretty sure I can find something to in each port except for Akaroa NZ.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any experience with the Akaroa Adventure Centre, the bike ride down the volcano summit looks interesting.

tanks

There are plenty of things to do in Akaroa. For a start it is a lovely place just to walk around, with an historical walking tour on offer which will explain the French beginnings. We've done the harbour cruise - ship's tour - but you can do it privately, which was very enjoyable. There are people offering tours at the end of the jetty, including a bus trip to Christchurch, where you can do your own thing. Swimming with dolphins is also popular. :)

We've visited Akaroa a few times - the harbour cruise to view the Hector dolphins is good; the last time we did it we booked online (Black Cat I think) before we left here - I think it was a late morning cruise. There were lots of dolphins all around the boat and a couple of sea lions over on the rocks. The Giant's House has a very unusual garden full of whimsical mosaics. Some people do not like it but thought it was interesting. It is easily walkable from the pier.

The organised walking tour is only bookable through the ship (when cruise ships are in, they only take those bookings), so don't know what it was like.

I agree, walking around the streets and local area is great. If you turn right when you get off the pier, you can walk around to a light house that charges very little to go in and look around.

Akaroa's just a nice casual place to relax. You don't need to plan something heavy - unless for example there were extra tours at Christchurch that you still wanted to do.

You can also pick something up on the day.

We went on the mail run which was a lovely way to see the country side, inlets and have a personal tour around. Something a little different.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We went on the mail run which was a lovely way to see the country side, inlets and have a personal tour around. Something a little different.

The Mail Run is a great/one of the best - but do be careful about getting off the ship in time. The driver has to leave on time due to the fact that he does the school run in the afternoon. We have seen people do their money. If you are not in a suite or Diamond Plus (priority tendering) and miss the early tender tickets, you will have to go to Guest Services and DEMAND tender tickets to get you on a tender in time.

Highly recommend!

Cheers

Di

In February some of the family did the jet boat trip arranged on shore, went into a cave and saw dolphins. Other family members did the double decker bus tour sold at port and enjoyed that. Both reasonably priced.:)

The Mail Run is a great/one of the best - but do be careful about getting off the ship in time. The driver has to leave on time due to the fact that he does the school run in the afternoon. We have seen people do their money. If you are not in a suite or Diamond Plus (priority tendering) and miss the early tender tickets, you will have to go to Guest Services and DEMAND tender tickets to get you on a tender in time.

Highly recommend!

Cheers

Di

Good point.

It was Christmas, so school holidays....

We were on solstice march this year and the port of Akaroa was my favourite. I do not believe you need to book a tour. It is a lovely French village that is such a pleasure to amble around with many photo opportunities. It is easy to pick up a tour at the jetty if you wish or there is a gentleman that takes tours in his vintage car. He parks in the Main Street directly off the jetty and was a popular choice for many.

We did this tour as well and thought it was great. Lovely little trip with a lot of local knowledge and a lovely home made morning tea.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I am on Celebrity Solstice Aukland to Sydney March 2014. I have had a look at the onboard tours and I am pretty sure I can find something to in each port except for Akaroa NZ.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any experience with the Akaroa Adventure Centre, the bike ride down the volcano summit looks interesting.

tanks

Yes I have done that and it is an excellent choice. They will drop you off at the summit with stunning views all around and from there you just roll back in to town. The benefit of the bike is you can use it all day and ride all around Akaroa and see the lighthouse as well as see the entire town. Highly recommended and very friendly staff. Effort is not hard at all and the use of the bike saves a lot of time in seeing as much as you want in your own time.

Archived