Smoking in cabins on balconies, irrespective of cruise line.

Brian Raine

I think that it was around this time of year that the announcement was made that smoking in cabins would be banned from the following April. So who knows! Some people will be upset and others will be pleased when and if the decision is made.

You can't please all of the people all of the time!

:rolleyes: :D

P&O apparently plan to introduce a ban on balcony smoking from April 2014; it would be unsurprising if Cunard did likewise.

Mary

I certainly hope not. My husband and I are booked in Grill Class on both an eastbound and westbound crossing in June 2014, and would definitely cancel if that occurred. Especially on a crossing, it's important that someone who smokes has convenient places to smoke other than the one small cigar lounge (especially small given the size of the ship).

Smoking is being banned on cabin balconies from April next year(QV) May( QM) and June(QE) according to my Voyage Personaliser.

If this is correct (The Voyage Personaliser not being the most trustworthy:rolleyes::rolleyes:), I would say that Capnpugwash should win the 'Cunard Crystal Ball' award for foreseeing the future...:eek:

I think that it was around this time of year that the announcement was made that smoking in cabins would be banned from the following April. So who knows! Some people will be upset and others will be pleased when and if the decision is made.

best regards,

seasidegal

How does Cunard make sure that people don't smoke in their staterooms? At least they had no excuse when they could pop out onto their balconies. Now it means they will have to get dressed to go out for the first cigarette of the day.

How does Cunard make sure that people don't smoke in their staterooms? At least they had no excuse when they could pop out onto their balconies. Now it means they will have to get dressed to go out for the first cigarette of the day.

That's IF the decks are open. On the NY/Caribbean cruise in 2011, we met a very nice couple from England who had been on the previous Crossing. Apparently, the sea conditions were rough for several days and the decks were off-limits for safety reasons. Maybe they were just joking, but they said that often there was standing room only in Churchills, and a line waiting to get in...and that was when smoking was still permitted on balconies.

How does Cunard make sure that people don't smoke in their staterooms? .

They still do, some of them. Last month on QV there was a strong smoke smell as you passed some cabins.

As with some "rules" (don't reserve loungers, seats in the theatre etc) it's regarded as optional by some passengers.

David.

Well, I can only be grateful that this isn't starting until after the World Voyage. This will likely be my only one in the face of these new rules.

I'm not a rude smoker by far. I don't smoke indoors (not even in my own home), but with the fact that the few outdoor smoking areas can be closed down due to weather I don't think I could go four months without being able to pop out on my balcony.

I thought that Churchill's was pipe and cigar only with only Electronic cigarettes allowed. That is the case, isn't it?

Not sure they could stop the electronic ones as its not regarded as smoking .

But this is what it says anyway.

Smoking Policies

The safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our guests is a key concern. As such, smoking is not permitted in staterooms, any public area with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, designated areas on the open decks and the upper level of the G32 nightclub on board Queen Mary 2. Whilst smoking is allowed on stateroom balconies**, we would ask that guests are considerate and keep smoking in this area to a minimum. Electronic cigarettes which do not emit smoke are not permitted in public areas with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, designated areas on the open decks and the upper level of the G32 nightclub on board Queen Mary 2, but can be used in staterooms and on stateroom balconies.

**(Smoking will no longer be permitted on stateroom balconies with effect from 28 April 2014 on Queen Victoria, 16 May 2014 on Queen Mary 2, and 8 June 2014 on Queen Elizabeth.)

... If Cunard is so concerned about people's health, why doesn't it do something about obese people eating themselves to death?

If they start that flaming nonsense then I'm definitely finding myself another cruise line :eek::eek:

J3B

The 'nanny state' rolls on. :rolleyes:

If Cunard is so concerned about people's health, why doesn't it do something about obese people eating themselves to death?

What, limit Cruachan to only ONE breakfast? In his nightmares! :eek:

Am I the only one who gets teed off about passengers puffing away on their balconies adjacent to mine! On our recent trip to the NorthCape on the QE we had a neighbour who regularly popped out for a smoke generation exercise. As a consequence neither my wife or I could remain outside for more than a few seconds when he lit it. So buying a balcony cabin was a waste of financial resources, even if the weather was not all that brilliant, it is a principle of the thing.

I do not smoke my wife has breathing problems aggravated by obnoxious odours like cigarette smoke and some perfumes. Even our cabin steward confessed that they smoked in the stateroom, the odours made it difficult for him to do his job. Surely there is a simple answer to this problem, put all smokers in an area of the ship to themselves near the stern or better still ban smoking all to together on cruises. I know this will raise a lot of smokers hackles but I prefer to die breathing relatively clean air NOT someone else's second hand fumes.

I await the back lash.

I am sorry, but I can't see the point. Those smoking on a balcony have the right to do since the ships companies allows it. I am sure that you knew it when booking your cruise. Is it really asked too much to leave a place and go somewhere else if you dislike fumes?

Anyway, if it is your intention to create a lobby of non-smokers this forum is the wrong place.

Not sure they could stop the electronic ones as its not regarded as smoking .

But this is what it says anyway.

Smoking Policies

Electronic cigarettes which do not emit smoke are not permitted in public areas with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, designated areas on the open decks and the upper level of the G32 nightclub on board Queen Mary 2, but can be used in staterooms and on stateroom balconies.

**(Smoking will no longer be permitted on stateroom balconies with effect from 28 April 2014 on Queen Victoria, 16 May 2014 on Queen Mary 2, and 8 June 2014 on Queen Elizabeth.)

Aargh - this totally contradicts the FAQ info that says electronic cigarettes that do not emit smoke CAN be used in non-smoking areas. What's a vaper to do???

Wow....We just dodged that bullet... We are disembarking May 16. Figures they would change the rules now that we just made Diamond.:(

On the bright side, the money that we will no longer be giving to Cunard is going to buy us a lake house where we won't be offending anyone. :)

Wow....We just dodged that bullet... We are disembarking May 16. Figures they would change the rules now that we just made Diamond.:(

On the bright side, the money that we will no longer be giving to Cunard is going to buy us a lake house where we won't be offending anyone. :)

We have long dreamed of a Cunard cruise - specifically an TA, but with this change, there goes that dream - up in smoke - as it were. So often on any of these boards, when someone objects to some policy or change by a cruise line others jump in and give some variation of "then find another cruise line and don't sail on ours" - well, it seem that is what we will have to do. Perhaps we will follow brigittetom's plan and buy ourselves a vacation home where we can enjoy ourselves without bothering the easily offended.

We have long dreamed of a Cunard cruise - specifically an TA, but with this change, there goes that dream - up in smoke - as it were. So often on any of these boards, when someone objects to some policy or change by a cruise line others jump in and give some variation of "then find another cruise line and don't sail on ours" - well, it seem that is what we will have to do. Perhaps we will follow brigittetom's plan and buy ourselves a vacation home where we can enjoy ourselves without bothering the easily offended.

I'm with you. That's it for me after my next voyage. I may not be labeled certifiably insane for smoking, but I can be so labeled if I continue to pay single occupant PG prices, over the top on board spending, and generous extra gratuities, and be unable to have not only a real smoke, but a fake one as well. Time to move on.

I not only sail with Cunard for the elegance (although a little over hyped), I go repeatedly for the staff. However, the staff will now have privileges not afforded to the passengers. Trust me, there will still be plenty of smoking going on. The crew smoking drift will be more noticeable now. Anyone who wants to take that away from these hard working people should stay in the safety of their homes.

Jeanne

The 'nanny state' rolls on. :rolleyes:

If Cunard is so concerned about people's health, why doesn't it do something about obese people eating themselves to death?

If I choose to over-indulge in the pastries offered at afternoon tea, that is my choice - no-one else's. No-one has the right to shove a chocolate éclair down my throat. Cunard is joining the rest of the world in trying to protect their customers from involuntarily indulging in other people's deadly habit.

It is my understanding that smoking will still be allowed in a few places, as it should be. Nicotine is an extremely difficult addiction to deal with. I know this from my father's experience and other people I have been close to. Perhaps a larger smoking room - which no-one, including staff, need to enter unless they wish to - could be made available out of compassion. It might even make good business sense. Cunard is not the first cruise line to impose strict smoking rules and they won't be the last.

. Perhaps a larger smoking room - which no-one, including staff, need to enter unless they wish to - could be made available out of compassion. It might even make good business sense. Cunard is not the first cruise line to impose strict smoking rules and they won't be the last.

I would hope that something can be worked out re: a nice room (large enough to be used in comfort) for those who smoke when the balcony restrictions come to pass.

We are non-smokers but we have met so many nice people on board who do smoke and if the new policy forces them to look elsewhere that would a shame.

best regards,

seasidegal

Archived