Why is QV leaving Warnemund early so no opportunity to go to Berlin?

crooser888

Hello all:

Booked and paid in full for QV leaving 30 Aug for 14 days to the Baltics and then discovered it is spending a half day only in Warnemund, leaving no time for Berlin? Is this normal and if not, can anyone suggest what is happening? Despite the long coach ride to Berlin, this is a city we had so much wanted to visit. Thank you.

Rostock, of wich Warnemuende is a suburb, is a very interesting town with a longer history than Berlin. Enjoy your time and go to Berlin any other days by plane. The long coach drive would not give you any sight during the drive and 2 or 3 hours at Berlin are not even enough to get the basics done. You should better stay at Berlin for a weekend.

Alternatively go to Bad Doberan and take the coastal steamtrain to Kuehlungsborn.

Rostock, of wich Warnemuende is a suburb, is a very interesting town with a longer history than Berlin. Enjoy your time and go to Berlin any other days by plane. The long coach drive would not give you any sight during the drive and 2 or 3 hours at Berlin are not even enough to get the basics done. You should better stay at Berlin for a weekend.

Alternatively go to Bad Doberan and take the coastal steamtrain to Kuehlungsborn.

Warnermunde, itself, is a cute little seaside town to wander around for a few hours.

It is a real shame about Berlin but if it is not going to change make the most of the day.

Warramunde is a lovely little town with some good shopping, a long promenade and great cafe culture. They do traditional steins of beer and a range of seafood and typical German fare.

Last time we were there was Octoberfest (which starts in September!) and there was real buzz about the place with lots of folk music and much klinking of steins.

We found the people in the town really friendly.

There is a mini train tour round the town and it was so bad that it was good. They played cheesy Oompah band music and told you about such cultural highlights as the school sports field!

Have a great time whatever you do.

I did this in 2009 and I loved it! However, it took a long time to get there (2 normal trains and then the steam train) so I needed the long day.

I was impressed by the excitement of the people in Warnemunde that we were there. This was a Princess ship, not a Cunard one. I met a lady on a train whose mother had told her a ship was in, and she planned to go and see it. We left late at night, too late for me to stay up for sailaway, but I believe there were loads of locals to see us off, plus a band playing.

Agree with others that Warnemunde itself is lovely - in addition to some interesting buildings, shops, cafes etc, on the day we went there was a charming market, staffed by delightful and helpful people.

We went with P&O - their novel way of thanking the people of Warnemunde for a delightful day in their town was to blast out the theme tune from "The Dam Busters" as they waved us off...

Mary

Look into visiting Wismar, a medieval brick city which is a UNESCO world heritage site which was also part of the Hanseatic League , with 2 remaining city gates, lots of interesting churches, lots of fish boats along the quay selling fish sandwiches. You will be surprised just how much history is there in the Warnemunde area!

...We went with P&O - their novel way of thanking the people of Warnemunde for a delightful day in their town was to blast out the theme tune from "The Dam Busters" as they waved us off...

Mary

Oopsee! There's a school of thought that might just consider that to be a tad on the insensitive side. :eek:

J

Oopsee! There's a school of thought that might just consider that to be a tad on the insensitive side. :eek:

J

We had an aft balcony, so could see several other passengers during the sailaway, and they all seemed to be amused as they waved their little Union Jacks. I was informed I resembled someone sucking a wasp.

Mary:D

We had an aft balcony, so could see several other passengers during the sailaway, and they all seemed to be amused as they waved their little Union Jacks. I was informed I resembled someone sucking a wasp.

Mary:D

Bit of a gigle here, as 'WASP' has an alternative meaning on this side of the pond. :eek::D

To answer the OP's question my guess as to why they are leaving early is to avoid more port charges. One thing I always consider when booking a cruise is how long the ship is in each port. Too many early departures makes the whole cruise pointless.

To answer the OP's question my guess as to why they are leaving early is to avoid more port charges. One thing I always consider when booking a cruise is how long the ship is in each port. Too many early departures makes the whole cruise pointless.

Much more likely is tide times. That's why the arrival and departures vary.

I don't know why Cunard keep publicising Warnemunde as suitable for Berlin - it's not a realistic day trip even if the boat was in port for 12 hours. I've seen quotes of up to 3 hours each way, so that's 6 hours gone on travelling. And Berlin really deserves a lot more that 3 or 4 hours in a coach. If you want to see the beautiful city then take a proper holiday there of 4 or 5 days - you won't regret it.

Hello all:

Booked and paid in full for QV leaving 30 Aug for 14 days to the Baltics and then discovered it is spending a half day only in Warnemund, leaving no time for Berlin?/QUOTE]

How did you find that out ?

If you look here :

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

and select the dress code for the QV V308 to V401P it shows the ship arrives at 8:30 and leaves at 17:30 (9th of September).

So, unless that's wrong, that's a full day to me.

We also found our time at that port to be very short. However, the train to Rostock is really a short ride and from the station you go to another floor and get the tram to the center of the town. Both towns make for a fun outing that takes half a day. After lunch aboard the QV, we went out again for a stroll in charming Waremunde.

Having sailed into Rostock previously, and had sufficient time to do Berlin for the day (a train pulls up by the ship for the ship excursions, or you go to town and take train on your own), I can attest to what a hurried day you have in Berlin. I much prefer the alternative of Waremunde and Rostock for the day. You will have just had 2 very long days in Russia, you'll be happy for the relaxed half day.

NeilT66,

You are quite right that Berlin deserves more than six hours but for many people it is the only opportunity they might ever have to get this close to the city so it's better than nothing. It's like going to Rome from Civitavecchia or to Florence from Livorno, though even longer travel times.

Archived