Big Mike's Guide - Should You Rent a Scooter in Bermuda

hamlettm

Just posting my two cents as I just returned last Friday. The recommendation and feedback from Big Mike is spot on. I have some scooter experience and yet when my partner was going to ride with me, I realized it's a much different beast having someone else ride with you. We ended up NOT renting the scooter. I went around by myself a few times and that part was really easy. I knew how to operate the scooter and drive it but when my partner got on, and we tested it, she chickened out.

Honestly, I'm glad she did because as we got out there touring the island and we SAW the small roads, no shoulders in many places, left hand driving, I'm glad we didn't do it. Also, I didn't really visit St. George, but Hamilton is a real city with lights, quite a bit of traffic.

I have ridden several times....all in all total of maybe 3 weeks and yes, I know it's not much, but at least for me, when I got on, it was like riding a bike. I had no problems taking off, going around corners on the test ride, but getting out there on the roads would have required a lot of concentration.

anyway, I'm hoping others heed your advice too...it's very good.

• 3 months later...

I would suggest that if you're not quite sure if you want to rent one, that you take a ride on a bus first. It will give you a chance to see how small the roads are and how tourists on mopeds need to navigate their way around. Remember you're driving on the opisite side of the road and there are rotaries to mess you up!

We went 18 months ago and although I have eight years + urban riding experience on a Scooter I chose not to rent and to be frank I was glad I didn't.

He's why:

1) The roads are narrow and the local drivers give no quarter.

2) I would have been two up on a 50cc. Sorry no way powerful enough.

3) Its more relaxing when on holiday to let someone else do the driving The buses are excellent and the ferry particularly the leg from Port to St george was really pleasant.

4) Public transport is cheap and tickets are available just outside the terminal.

5) My wife is inexperienced both as a rider and a pillion.

• 1 month later...
We went 18 months ago and although I have eight years + urban riding experience on a Scooter I chose not to rent and to be frank I was glad I didn't.

He's why:

1) The roads are narrow and the local drivers give no quarter.

2) I would have been two up on a 50cc. Sorry no way powerful enough.

3) Its more relaxing when on holiday to let someone else do the driving The buses are excellent and the ferry particularly the leg from Port to St george was really pleasant.

4) Public transport is cheap and tickets are available just outside the terminal.

5) My wife is inexperienced both as a rider and a pillion.

1) Your right about the roads and the other drivers, they don't seem to like the tourist much lol

2) NO way we would have done just 1, I'm glad my wife got her own.

3) My wife and I really did LOVE riding and once we got use to it the scooters were fun and relaxing, plus we weren't stuffed in a hot bus.

4) Yes public transportation is cheap but get ready for long rides and lots of stops.

5) Your right then, the bus was best if your wife couldn't ride.

Good decision to pick the bus with this one!

I have been to Bermuda a half dozen times previously used mopeds (always singles). My last trip to Bermuda was 15 years ago. Now I'm 65, added a little extra girth and will need to ride with my 8 year old (adopted) son. Any thoughts yea or nay on using mopeds in June when we go to BDA again?

There are two things to consider before deciding to ride a scooter in Bermuda.

1) Handling a scooter is different from handling a car or a bicycle - it needs concentration and a reasonable sense of balance.

2) Driving anything in Bermuda, on the left, rather than the right side of the road as you are probably used to doing, requires concentration.

If you have experience either driving a scooter (or motorcycle) or experience driving on the left side of the road,you can probably handle it. But if you have no experience in either, it is better not to try learning two unfamiliar activities at the same time.

I have rented scooters 5 trips with no issues.

The most interesting thing I noticed was the speed limit in most areas at 35km. This is about 22 mph. No one drives this slow.

I would estimate that the locals drive at least double the speed limit whenever possible. The locals drive like they are racing to get somewhere for no reason.

Where's the logic here? There is none - Your on a one lane road on an island - and how much time can anyone save when you run into traffic every mile or so.? All you can do is stay left and let them pass. You will probably see them in a minute or two getting off their bike at the next store.

The only place you can actually drive faster safely is up by the airport - and that's where I've seen the police enforce the speed limits.

Overall - it's nothing compared to driving in China or Mexico. Stay Left!!

Is 50cc the limit? I read on one of the rental websites they have 50cc but worked over engines so a bit more power more like 70cc (for more money of course). Anyone try one of the performance scoots?

I have a 250 scooter in my garage along with a bike (down from what was 4 motorcycles :D). Been riding all my life and I raced for a number of years.

I don't have a 50cc anymore but use to for driving around the race paddock. With me and my girl both on it - it would put put to 25-30 mph, but nice flat surfaces. Hills would be another issue. How are the hills in bermuda?

She doesn't ride so she will be my passenger so I'm worried about power for two up on a 50cc. Wish they would rent out bigger scooters, but I understand the reasoning of why they wouldn't.

Found them : these are the guys, I know Oleander is right in port but I would travel a bit further for a better scooter.

http://www.elbowbeachcycles.com/bikes-and-rates/#gas+scooter

Edited by forceten

Is 50cc the limit? I read on one of the rental websites they have 50cc but worked over engines so a bit more power more like 70cc (for more money of course). Anyone try one of the performance scoots?

I have a 250 scooter in my garage along with a bike (down from what was 4 motorcycles :D). Been riding all my life and I raced for a number of years.

I don't have a 50cc anymore but use to for driving around the race paddock. With me and my girl both on it - it would put put to 25-30 mph, but nice flat surfaces. Hills would be another issue. How are the hills in bermuda?

She doesn't ride so she will be my passenger so I'm worried about power for two up on a 50cc. Wish they would rent out bigger scooters, but I understand the reasoning of why they wouldn't.

Found them : these are the guys, I know Oleander is right in port but I would travel a bit further for a better scooter.

http://www.elbowbeachcycles.com/bikes-and-rates/#gas+scooter

The 50 cc's are single rider rentals- Oleander has more powerful ones for two --- probably about $65 per day vs. $50 for a 50cc.

• 3 weeks later...
There are two things to consider before deciding to ride a scooter in Bermuda.

1) Handling a scooter is different from handling a car or a bicycle - it needs concentration and a reasonable sense of balance.

2) Driving anything in Bermuda, on the left, rather than the right side of the road as you are probably used to doing, requires concentration.

If you have experience either driving a scooter (or motorcycle) or experience driving on the left side of the road,you can probably handle it. But if you have no experience in either, it is better not to try learning two unfamiliar activities at the same time.

Regarding 1) what about the ebikes that can be rented? I have been riding one for years but it's not the scooter type. They seem to have some that carry two people. Do those handle more like a gas powered scooter?

It would just be nice to have an ebike to travel on the less used areas, not Hamilton for example. Is traffic bad everywhere?

Philip

Big Mike has some excellent tips! And Oleander is the way to go.

My DH and I have been going to Bermuda every couple of years since we got married almost 45 years ago (We'll be celebrating our 45th there this summer!). We've rented mopeds/scooters every time. When we first started, they were motor-assisted bikes - like the big fat tire coaster brake bikes of old! You had to pedal going up hills :)

Each time the bikes got bigger and more powerful, and now they're scooters - which I like better. The place where we stay is off the beaten path, and a good mile or more up and down some big hills off the main road. We need the bikes to get around, but the last few trips, we've also gotten the transportation pass. We take the scooters into Hamilton (a quick hop), then use the buses and the ferry to go from there.

I always tell people who ask me about renting bikes/scooters to remember that they are a means of transportation - not a joy ride. They can be fun, but if that's your goal, you might run into trouble.

I tell them DO NOT plan to sight see while riding. You REALLY need to pay attention to the road and the other vehicles. Look at a map. Plan your route. Plan stops for viewing scenery from the maps.

And I always tell them that if you have any doubts, and qualms or are at all nervous about it - DON'T DO IT.

My husband and I know Bermuda as well as we know our hometown. He doesn't worry about me because he knows, I know how to get where we're going and I don't worry about him for the same reason. This avoids the whole - looking back thing. We also don't have to stop suddenly because we missed a turn or aren't sure whether to turn. This is what gets people in trouble.

It always takes us a day or so to get used to riding them and to the traffic. We take advantage of the practice area until we feel comfortable and we take it easy for those first few days. If you're on a cruise, you only have 3 days.

Don't ride at rush hour - the traffic really can be horrendous (and I'm from NJ :) ) Don't ride in the rain or if the roads are wet. They are VERY slippery - more slippery than roads in NJ anyway.

If you're an experienced rider - by all means enjoy. If not I would think very hard before you head out into traffic.

Oh - and I love the buses! We get chatting with the other people riding and we can look at the gorgeous scenery. And I find the bus drivers - all Bermudians, actually - very friendly and helpful.

Thanks for the thoughts Cyber Kat. When I was in Bermuda around 40 years or so the moped I had was very easy to drive and the island actually had rural parts. Have never driver a scooter, but I have driven a 150cc Honda motorcycle a long time ago. Scooters seem different in terms of balancing on them. An ebike would also be great but those would be like driving a bike (pedal bike) and just as dangerous I suppose.

The bus sounds just fine!

Philip

Thanks for the thoughts Cyber Kat. When I was in Bermuda around 40 years or so the moped I had was very easy to drive and the island actually had rural parts. Have never driver a scooter, but I have driven a 150cc Honda motorcycle a long time ago. Scooters seem different in terms of balancing on them. An ebike would also be great but those would be like driving a bike (pedal bike) and just as dangerous I suppose.

The bus sounds just fine!

You will find the traffic MUCH different. 40 years ago you had to own property to have a car, now every household is entitled to one car. Not much rural anymore. I made the transition to the scooter just fine. I actually prefer them. But the bus is greatt! Either way - enjoy!

If we rent a scooter from oleander for three days, and say the first day is sunny but day 2 and 3 is raining hard will they let you return the scooter for a refund?

I don't ride at home in the rain if I can help it and I rather not in bermuda! I have only been caught off caught off guard (too far away from home) and ridden in the rain twice in the past 20 years. Miserable experience. The My bikes handled fine in the rain as long as you were good on the throttle but its just terrible to be sitting at the light in the pouring rain trying to wipe your helmet windscreen clear.

If we rent a scooter from oleander for three days, and say the first day is sunny but day 2 and 3 is raining hard will they let you return the scooter for a refund?

Knowing Oleander, I would think so, but I would ask to make sure. Bermuda rarely gets a full day of rain unless there's a hurricane. It does happen, but usually it only rains for short periods of time and the roads do dry quickly in most areas. We usually just wait the showers out.

• 2 weeks later...

They got back to me and i figured I would post it here for future CC people to get the info. Oleander said it would be no problem to cancel all or part of the scooter rental days. So if we changed our mind and got there we could cancel. If it was raining when we got their we could cancel out. If the first day was sunny and the next raining we could hand the scooter back in after the first day and just get charged for that day.

Only thing they did say if we rented for three days and first day was sunny, 2nd day was raining we could hand it back in. Third day was sun, they would give us a scooter again - but there would be no multi day discount. Would be two single days at the full rate.

I forgot to ask about parking. i know by the boat there is an area to park scooters overnight. How about the rest of the island? Can we park anywhere we can fit? Are their only certain spots to put a scooter? If we drive by a beach and want to stop do the all have parking spots? OR do you just pull off the road and park? Not sure what the roads and parking is like in bermuda.

There are more scooters than cars on the island(s). Scooter parking is available at every stop. and should be clearly marked

That's one of the many benefits of having a scooter - no problem finding a spot, seeing every beach and overlook, stopping to shop or eat ..........complete freedom on your vacation away from the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just got back this sunday, will answer my own question - south road is more scenic and lots less traffic :D

For any of you wanting to rent a scooter - IF you have a good amount of motorcycle experience before you go to bermuda - rent one. Its the best way to see bermuda. Was the most fun thing we did on vacation riding around for the three days. Seeing things that a lot of people from the boat didn't get to see just because we were free to ride wherever we were.

I was a little worried seeing what people posted about renting a scooter in bermuda but as soon as we got on the road there it was just fine.

Also driving on the left side was also fine for me. The round abouts were logical also. Drivers in the circle had right away, when you got in the circle you had right of way.

Hamilton had a bit of traffic and was unerving for a few mins until i got into town. Just because I wasn't sure where I was going. Once I got used to hamilton it was fine also.

Only once did I go into the right lane, and that was after making a right. I made the right and automatically stayed in the right lane for a second, until a whisper in my ear said left lane left lane :D So without thinking - turning right had me forget (just once) that i needed to go back to the left lane.

Aside from that if you are a biker in the US (or other country) and you ride safe, bermuda will be easy for you. When i ride in the states my total concentration (like most good bikers) is on the road and vehicles around me. So if you stay focused in bermuda like you should anywhere else then you will be fine.

Also the brakes on my scooter were a bit worn so stopping two people took a bit of time until i got use to it. Almost swapped scooters out, but just learned to give myself a few extra seconds of reaction time.

The scooters are only 50cc, and a little under powered, especially on some hills. but they have power enough if you keep the throttle turned up - even with a passenger.

With little traffic on south road I could easily do 70 or 75. But most of the time was around 30-40 with traffic (KPH not MPH). I stayed at a good pace so no cars or busses passed me at all, I did have to pass a few slower moving trucks (funny to do with an under powered scooter and twisty roads). But the locals on scooters were passing everywhere! Most of them had 125's looked like. They even passed a few places that I never would, even with more power. One almost caused a crash when he passed me and a truck i was waiting to pass, except the truck was turning right - just as the scooter was going around - on top of a car coming from the other direction. lots of skidding and horns (was the only time i wished my brake pads were new) but we all avoided crashing.

Not a day doesn't go by though in NJ/PA or Ny where I ride that a car doesn't turn into my path or almost cause an accident. So just part of riding.

Oh and one last thing, many of the side roads aren't marked or marked very well. A few times we passed the side road we wanted to take and after a while pulled over to look at a map. Sure enough the road we passed a few miles back.

Edited by forceten

I needed to enter a rebuttal to everyone stating to rent a scooter ONLY IF YOU HAVE 2 YEARS EXPERIENCE on a motorcycle or street bike.

I was in Bermuda in 2006 last and prior to that, had only rode a moped in Key West ONCE . We rented scooters in Bermuda and it was one of the best experiences I ever had on vacation.

Why?

You can zip easily from one end of the island to the other. No waiting for busses (and when we were there, four cruise ships were in town, it was crowded, the busses were packed and drove right past you), or ferries.

Once you learn throttling and braking, it is no different than being the careful, defensive driver you have always been (I hope). Left lane driving is also easy to comprehend once you do it. Scootering is such a standard in Bermuda, bus and car drivers are certainly used to tourists who may be bumbling on a scooter. So what! Have Fun! If you consciously drive into oncoming traffic, your sense of survival needs revisiting.

You can stop wherever you want and not have to rely on a bus schedule.

You can explore areas the busses don't normally go.

No walking from a bus stops to a point of interest....or worse, trudging up those hills from the beach accesses in the blaring afternoon heat.

Breezy. Easy. Go as fast as you want minding the already LOW speed limits.

Some of the views of the sea and landscape on the more remote roads are the best photo ops I have ever had because I was able to simply stop along the road and admire and take pictures.

If you have no feel for even this smallest of adventures when in Bermuda, you are truly missing out. For me, it makes the whole vacation worthwhile, especially if you're on a budget.

I am returning to Bermuda this September and will be renting a SCOOTER!

• 9 months later...
I needed to enter a rebuttal to everyone stating to rent a scooter ONLY IF YOU HAVE 2 YEARS EXPERIENCE on a motorcycle or street bike.

I was in Bermuda in 2006 last and prior to that, had only rode a moped in Key West ONCE . We rented scooters in Bermuda and it was one of the best experiences I ever had on vacation.

Why?

You can zip easily from one end of the island to the other. No waiting for busses (and when we were there, four cruise ships were in town, it was crowded, the busses were packed and drove right past you), or ferries.

Once you learn throttling and braking, it is no different than being the careful, defensive driver you have always been (I hope). Left lane driving is also easy to comprehend once you do it. Scootering is such a standard in Bermuda, bus and car drivers are certainly used to tourists who may be bumbling on a scooter. So what! Have Fun! If you consciously drive into oncoming traffic, your sense of survival needs revisiting.

You can stop wherever you want and not have to rely on a bus schedule.

You can explore areas the busses don't normally go.

No walking from a bus stops to a point of interest....or worse, trudging up those hills from the beach accesses in the blaring afternoon heat.

Breezy. Easy. Go as fast as you want minding the already LOW speed limits.

Some of the views of the sea and landscape on the more remote roads are the best photo ops I have ever had because I was able to simply stop along the road and admire and take pictures.

If you have no feel for even this smallest of adventures when in Bermuda, you are truly missing out. For me, it makes the whole vacation worthwhile, especially if you're on a budget.

I am returning to Bermuda this September and will be renting a SCOOTER!

Thanks for the post Sparks, the scooters are great fun for sure and really help you avoid the nasty buses. If someone is a pro and knows how to ride a motorcycle or scooter and has experience you'll love Bermuda by scooter. =)

(Egg on my face....)

I spouted about renting a scooter.

Our trip to Bermuda....we rented the scooters from the popular place. We did good through the northern parishes, The Gibson Lighthouse the botanical gardens, saw the famous beaches ... then my nightmare came true: my partner, who was not as adept at scootering overshot a left handed turn and slammed into an oncoming car.

EESH!

I then, seeing him splayed on the road (he was ok but I thought he was dead), made a quick u-turn and myself side-swiped into a stone wall (crashing through it as a matter of fact -- thankfully for soft stone) and took a major digger as I abandoned the bike and tumbled over the wall to prevent a worse injury. Some minor gouges to my leg but we were ok.

We were both ok, ---other drivers were quick to assist, the police were wonderful and the driver of the car hit was also gracious -- she was also smart to the potential of tourists -- she actually sped up to avoid hitting him head-on and instead he slammed into her passenger side.

(the folk there are great I have to add).

I want to append this with.....the scooters at said-popular vendor are OLD, have SMALL front wheels and questionable, probably jerry-repaired steerage, but I won't accuse....my partner stated that he wasn't able to make complete turns with confidence....his scooter was defective....but he also wasn't accustomed to "leaning into" the turn.

The crappy part was waiting in the blazing sun (after everyone left) for the damaged scooter to be replaced while gnats were feasting on my bloody leg-- those guys coming from the vendor were also great and helpful.

We made it to our destination (the zoo, which is is awesome and they actually opened their first-aid kit so we could clean our scrapes -- awesome, sweet people, --- but now filled with fear, we opted to -- , after careful studying of the map to the ferry --- take the ferry from Hamilton back to our ship -- your scooter costs an extra token).

We turned in the scooters, deferring our 2nd day of use -- they came for them at the ship dock (which was also convenient as I was in the infirmary on board for an unrelated issue).

Bottom line: get a GOOD scooter with better front wheels and tight steerage. Remember the lane patterns.

Also, When I was in Bermuda the last time, the traffic was less aggressive. Now, there are more cars and....35mph? Right. The busses cause the most accidents so I hear, and aren't a pleasant way to travel, either. Plan your scoots around rush hour.

It CAN be a good experience --- we passed incredible homesteads, neighborhoods, smelled all the flowers -- it was fun --- , but take your time, practice as much as you need and don't settle for a piece of crap vehicle.

AND wear your helmet -- it saved my partner's life although we were both sore for a few days.

Don't NOT do it out of fear. Take the challenge, just be very careful.

Thanks for posting, Sparks. And, so GLAD to hear that both you and your partner are OK! :)

In the past year, I've sent more than one poster to "Big Mike's" scooter thread. Sometimes, it's folks who remember renting a scooter on Bermuda 10+ years ago -- and haven't been on a scooter (or back to Bermuda) since. Can you say: recipe for disaster? :eek:

• 1 month later...
I have been to Bermuda a half dozen times previously used mopeds (always singles). My last trip to Bermuda was 15 years ago. Now I'm 65, added a little extra girth and will need to ride with my 8 year old (adopted) son. Any thoughts yea or nay on using mopeds in June when we go to BDA again?

If you are use to riding and experienced that's fine, but if you haven't been riding in a while I'd think twice.

I don't ride at home in the rain if I can help it and I rather not in bermuda! I have only been caught off caught off guard (too far away from home) and ridden in the rain twice in the past 20 years. Miserable experience. The My bikes handled fine in the rain as long as you were good on the throttle but its just terrible to be sitting at the light in the pouring rain trying to wipe your helmet windscreen clear.

Just rent daily then you'll be fine.