Ka'anapali Beach

RUDIMAY1

This is same question I asked on tripadvisor but I am still curious.

We arriving via cruise ship at Lahaina. If we take a bus or taxi to Whalers Village - Ka'anapali Beach can we rent beach chairs at resorts or beach vendors? Do beach vendors work for resorts? Is this best way to it? Plenty of beach access from Whalers Village?

We would like some shopping, beach time and maybe some lunch and Mai tai. Is all of that here? Short walk to all? Thanks.

While I can't answer your question for sure Ill give you our experience with beaches on a couple islands. In Waikiki the hotels will have lounges and umbrellas for rent (not cheap)

on the beach. Maui and Kona there is often a convenient store near or across the street from the beaches that rent out chairs umbrellas at quite reasonable prices.

What I would do in your case seeing that no one has chimed in is to call or email the tourist bureau for that island if no luck email a couple of the big hotels that are located on the beach or call their concierge desk.

I don't remember if there were any stands for sure when we were there last December, but there could have been. I had posted a question on the Whalers Village facebook page asking if they would be open for Christmas Day, as that was when our ship would be there. That's something you can ask there, or go on their website and find a "contact" email and ask there. They are bound to know. Also there's an ABC store there and they most likely sell beach mats there. Maybe even beach chairs. You can always hand carry the items back on a taxi and take back on the ship.

We did this stop on our cruise last November. There is the local bus that goes right to a shopping mall that you walk through and you are right on the Kaanapali beach. We rented a lounger and cabana right in front of the Westin Resort. It was absolutely perfect. They brought us cold water and fresh pineapple. The cabana was 50 bucks for the day, but well worth it. They also have regular loungers for a bit less with an umbrella they'll put in the sand. Go with the cabana. Lots of places to shop and eat right along the beach. We thought it was just perfect. This is also the place the Hula Girl Snorkel goes out of. On the way back to the ship we decided to grab a cab because the bus was pretty crowded at that time. The cab ride was 20 bucks back to the ship. Great day!

The bus from Lahaina does drop you at Whaler's Village, as you walk through, you will see restaurants, shops, etc, then right to the concrete beach walk. You can walk as far as you want to.

Hula Grill is a great eatery with outdoor seating that overlooks Kaanapali Beach. AWESOME!

We stayed at Kaanapali Beach Hotel and the walk took maybe 7-10 minutes. I believe any of the hotels along the walkway will rent loungers, clam shells, etc to anyone, not just hotel guests.

We did this stop on our cruise last November. There is the local bus that goes right to a shopping mall that you walk through and you are right on the Kaanapali beach. We rented a lounger and cabana right in front of the Westin Resort. It was absolutely perfect. They brought us cold water and fresh pineapple. The cabana was 50 bucks for the day, but well worth it. They also have regular loungers for a bit less with an umbrella they'll put in the sand. Go with the cabana. Lots of places to shop and eat right along the beach. We thought it was just perfect. This is also the place the Hula Girl Snorkel goes out of. On the way back to the ship we decided to grab a cab because the bus was pretty crowded at that time. The cab ride was 20 bucks back to the ship. Great day!

Thanks for the tip..marking it for planning purposes :)

Thanks for all the information. It is just what our plan will be. Whalers Village for shopping and lunch. Kaanapali beach for swimming and sun. Then at night a Luau at Old Lahania Luau. It all sounds like a glorious day in Maui.

As long as there is sunshine.

Love the beach at the Westin. A second vote for Hula Grill. And the downstairs beach bar at Leilani's is good. The restaurant at the Westin is good, too.

If you're at the Westin, the Gemini goes off the beach between the Westin and Whaler's Village. http://www.geminicharters.com This is my favorite boat trip in all of the islands.

If you get a drink from the Westin, try a Gecko Cooler. Love 'em. Especially if they're frozen.

Enjoy your visit to my favorite place on Earth!

If one of the hotels will rent to you, go for it. But, please, don't poach loungers, clamshells, cabanas, etc., without paying for them. It's a big issue of mine. Those hotel guests have paid hundreds of dollars a day to stay at that beach hotel and use the facilities. Let's say I have this "attitude" about it from past unfortunate experiences on land vacations in Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the Caymans...

If one of the hotels will rent to you, go for it. But, please, don't poach loungers, clamshells, cabanas, etc., without paying for them. It's a big issue of mine. Those hotel guests have paid hundreds of dollars a day to stay at that beach hotel and use the facilities. Let's say I have this "attitude" about it from past unfortunate experiences on land vacations in Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the Caymans...

It too bad you have an attitude about that but please try not too make this a hijacked thread. Lets stay fun like the beautiful beaches of Maui. I also have paid big bucks for hotels with beaches and I just enjoyed myself. We are planning of paying for our seat and might even try to do a day pass if possible.

It too bad you have an attitude about that but please try not too make this a hijacked thread. Lets stay fun like the beautiful beaches of Maui. I also have paid big bucks for hotels with beaches and I just enjoyed myself. We are planning of paying for our seat and might even try to do a day pass if possible.

I wasn't trying to hijack, just say please pay for the seats. There have been threads on other forums in CC about just going in and poaching loungers. It's just rude. If you are willing and planning to pay, by all means.

If you think you may do a few beach times, go hit a store like the ABCs or Costco or WalMart and buy some cheap beach chairs. You'll save on rental costs, which would be more than buying them. I do that if I'm going to be out to places other than the hotel. When I'm done, I'll leave them by the parking lot beach access for someone to use.

I wasn't trying to hijack, just say please pay for the seats. There have been threads on other forums in CC about just going in and poaching loungers. It's just rude. If you are willing and planning to pay, by all means.

If you think you may do a few beach times, go hit a store like the ABCs or Costco or WalMart and buy some cheap beach chairs. You'll save on rental costs, which would be more than buying them. I do that if I'm going to be out to places other than the hotel. When I'm done, I'll leave them by the parking lot beach access for someone to use.

You are rude. Stop your lectures, please. I will block you now so goodbye.

Edited by RUDIMAY1

...wish I was going. :) If you decide to take the bus, the bus stop is located behind the Wharf Cinema. You can either walk through the stores or walk around the block. Most ships tender into Lahaina. At the dock, walk to your right and you'll see the beautiful and massive Banyan Tree. Across the street is the Wharf Cinema.

Buses run every hour on the half hour...7:30, 8:30, 9:30am. Tickets are $2/person/one-way. Tip: You can purchase the all-day pass for only $4...same price as a roundtrip ticket. Two advantages: 1. Of course, you can use it all day. 2. You get "priority boarding" on your way back from Kaanapali Beach. Passengers will be heading back about the same time and the line for the bus will be long. The bus driver will allow boarding to those who purchased the all-day ticket.

At this beautiful beach, you can't really go wrong on where to stop. There are isolated spots, there are areas good for body surfing, and the best snorkeling spot is located at the end by the lava rocks. You'll often see turtles along with the hundreds of colorful fish. You can also watch a few daredevils jumping from the top of the lava rocks.

Cabanas, loungers, and chairs are available for rent. There were hotel staff at each location that will gladly rent them to you. There are also outdoor showers and restrooms. There are restaurants, bars, and even shopping. Have a wonderful day at Kaanapali Beach and happy sailing...........wish we were going! :)

...wish I was going. :) If you decide to take the bus, the bus stop is located behind the Wharf Cinema. You can either walk through the stores or walk around the block. Most ships tender into Lahaina. At the dock, walk to your right and you'll see the beautiful and massive Banyan Tree. Across the street is the Wharf Cinema.

Buses run every hour on the half hour...7:30, 8:30, 9:30am. Tickets are $2/person/one-way. Tip: You can purchase the all-day pass for only $4...same price as a roundtrip ticket. Two advantages: 1. Of course, you can use it all day. 2. You get "priority boarding" on your way back from Kaanapali Beach. Passengers will be heading back about the same time and the line for the bus will be long. The bus driver will allow boarding to those who purchased the all-day ticket.

At this beautiful beach, you can't really go wrong on where to stop. There are isolated spots, there are areas good for body surfing, and the best snorkeling spot is located at the end by the lava rocks. You'll often see turtles along with the hundreds of colorful fish. You can also watch a few daredevils jumping from the top of the lava rocks.

Cabanas, loungers, and chairs are available for rent. There were hotel staff at each location that will gladly rent them to you. There are also outdoor showers and restrooms. There are restaurants, bars, and even shopping. Have a wonderful day at Kaanapali Beach and happy sailing...........wish we were going! :)

Thanks that all sounds wonderful. We are really looking foward to the Maui stop. The Whalers museum sounds great also but unless it is raining, chances are we are doing outside things. We have a museum in our city showing the life of the Captain's ship and crew that left from our area to go to their voyages around the globe including Hawaii. That brought back many momentos during the exploring days. Can you imagine their faces if they seen the ships that we explore on?

As mentioned by others, there are lots of spots along the beach to rent chairs and umbrellas. But one of the things I like about it is that you can leave your stuff (no valuables of course), go for lunch at Hula Grill, etc., and come back to your awaiting lounger. :)

You are rude. Stop your lectures, please. I will block you now so goodbye.

Sorry you feel I was rude. I don't believe I was. I wasn't lecturing at all. I even gave an idea for chairs that I was given on a board years ago.

I'm just tired of everyone berating everyone on these boards. I'll no longer contribute.

All of this informatiom is great news, It looks like our toughest decision will be deciding where to have our lunch and Mai Tais. Dukes? Hula Grill? Others?

fwiw, I'm not a fan of Duke's on Maui. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Duke's on Waikiki. In fact, it's one of my top 3 places for a drink and meal on Waikiki!

Don't know if you know, but Duke's on Maui is actually north of Black Rock (the Sheraton). It's not on the same stretch of Ka'anapali as Whaler's Village. It's on what is now often referred to as "North Beach". (Those of us old-timers know it as Kahekili Beach or Airport Beach. I remember when the sugar cane fields went right down to the beach and there wasn't a hotel to be found on that stretch!)

Just wanted to make sure you weren't expecting to walk to Duke's from the Whaler's Village area.

ENJOY!!!!!! And be sure to tell us all about your adventures when you return!

fwiw, I'm not a fan of Duke's on Maui. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Duke's on Waikiki. In fact, it's one of my top 3 places for a drink and meal on Waikiki!

Don't know if you know, but Duke's on Maui is actually north of Black Rock (the Sheraton). It's not on the same stretch of Ka'anapali as Whaler's Village. It's on what is now often referred to as "North Beach".

Just wanted to make sure you weren't expecting to walk to Duke's from the Whaler's Village area.

ENJOY!!!!!! And be sure to tell us all about your adventures when you return!

thanks, no I thought Dukes was at the Marriott area and could just stroll to it. Well new plan, and new place to eat.

• 3 weeks later...

The West Maui Mountains are to the east of Kaanapali Beach ... i.e. facing west you'll be looking at the ocean, turn around and you'll see the mountains. You get a great view of them along the drive all the way from Kahului through to Kapalua.

Here's a link to reviews for one zipline company.

Sorry... just realized that that link is for reviews for all of Skyline's locations. If you scroll down on that page, there is one review for Kaanapali but it's an older one. Here's the link for recent reviews - not sure if there are any recent ones for their Kaanapali location though.

Here's a link to their website with details on the Kaanapali location.