Fantasy: second opinion needed - too big? Too crowded?

Sopwith

My wife wants to do a Disney cruise, largely on the recommendation of her sister, who is a Disney fanatic. I am trying to keep an open mind, but am having the expected reservations: too many kids, too many mice, etc. We are a 60 yo couple.

The Caribbean itineraries are less than inspiring, but the ones we're looking at are for the Fantasy. I can sort of live with the kids and mice, but my main fear is the 4000 pax. Most of our cruising has been on HAL, a few on Princess, one on Celebrity. The size of ship we're most comfortable with is in the 1200 - 1900 range. We tried the Emerald Princess and at 3600 found it very overcrowded, with insufficient deck space and facilities for the load. Just got off the Noordam, which at 1900 pax was pretty much maxed out for the size of hull and number of decks.

Disney is known for handling (and hiding) crowds well on land, IME, but is it the same on these mega-ships? Is it too crowded and congested compared to the average HAL or Princess ship? Can we get away from the bustle without hiding out on the verandah all day?

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

The Fantasy is the largest ship I have been on and I never felt crowded. The average space ratio is in the mid 40s. Your average HAL ship (except Prinsendam) is in the mid 40s. So even though there are more people on Disney than on HAL the ship is bigger so it can accommodate them. The only time I saw a huge crowd was on Pirate Night.

I am not a Disney fanatic (it took me over 40 years to get to Disney World for the first time) but the service and the cabins on DCL were amazing. There were plenty of adult areas for me where I could get away from kids when I wanted.

As the OP noted, Disney is very good at handling crowds. They do it just as well on board.

Disney also realizes that lots of adults would like some quiet areas as much as the children want some fun areas so they provided both on board. Its really amazing at how well they have something for all parties.

I am in your age range and have cruised Disney, Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

My biggest fear before going on the Fantasy and Dream was the idea of how many people would be on them. But we never felt crowded accept at pirate night and of course the Adventures away party as you leave port.

Since I have been to so many of those parties I just go to the adult area at the front of the ship on deck 14 and relax and watch fireworks from up there. Its not crowded at all. Since you don't care about characters you wont miss not having gone to the parties.

After that the only crowds I noticed was the kids and family pool areas but it has been like that on every ship I have ever cruised on.

Disneys adult only areas are awesome. Love the large hot tub on the Fantasy and the adult pool is never crowded. Satellite falls is a very quiet place to sit and enjoy the cool water on your legs and feet and sip something cool.

The clubs on deck 4 are well away from the noise of the kids areas and after 9 p.m. is completely kid free. During the day they do have some family events in those clubs but it was never crowded with kids. Just a nice place to go and relax a bit.

Last trip we went to pirate trivia in the sports bar and we were the only people who showed up even though it was a family event.

If you go to DCL's web site you can order a free DVD and you can watch it and see the adult areas to get a feel for the ship.

Also if you go during fall when kids are in school there are not as many kids. Still plenty of them but not as many, mostly the younger ones.

My wife wants to do a Disney cruise, largely on the recommendation of her sister, who is a Disney fanatic. I am trying to keep an open mind, but am having the expected reservations: too many kids, too many mice, etc. We are a 60 yo couple.

The Caribbean itineraries are less than inspiring, but the ones we're looking at are for the Fantasy. I can sort of live with the kids and mice, but my main fear is the 4000 pax. Most of our cruising has been on HAL, a few on Princess, one on Celebrity. The size of ship we're most comfortable with is in the 1200 - 1900 range. We tried the Emerald Princess and at 3600 found it very overcrowded, with insufficient deck space and facilities for the load. Just got off the Noordam, which at 1900 pax was pretty much maxed out for the size of hull and number of decks.

Disney is known for handling (and hiding) crowds well on land, IME, but is it the same on these mega-ships? Is it too crowded and congested compared to the average HAL or Princess ship? Can we get away from the bustle without hiding out on the verandah all day?

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

I have been on the Fantasy for two cruises 14 days, DCL does a grand job of organised people there wasn't too many issues, a bit near the pools but apart from a little chair hogging there is lots of space for all. -Great ship.

We did Disney Alaska Cruise last summer with my parents. First cruise for all of us. We are far from Disney fanatics - not once have we visted a park. We chose Disney as we had two kids travelling with us (4 and 11 at the time). My parents still talk to this day about the experience and how they couldn't imagine cruising with anyone but disney. Ya, there are characters, but not in your face to the point of wanting to scream. I actually found they were easily avoidable too. IMO Disney really struck a wonderful balance of offering kids what they would like with adults a very upscale, cruising experience. DCL also offers excellent "adult only" areas just to get away from the kids. Most evenings after dinner my kids wanted to go to kids club for a bit, so we adults took the opportunity to go to the lounge for a night cap.

We did Disney Alaska Cruise last summer with my parents. First cruise for all of us. We are far from Disney fanatics - not once have we visted a park. We chose Disney as we had two kids travelling with us (4 and 11 at the time). My parents still talk to this day about the experience and how they couldn't imagine cruising with anyone but disney. Ya, there are characters, but not in your face to the point of wanting to scream. I actually found they were easily avoidable too. IMO Disney really struck a wonderful balance of offering kids what they would like with adults a very upscale, cruising experience. DCL also offers excellent "adult only" areas just to get away from the kids. Most evenings after dinner my kids wanted to go to kids club for a bit, so we adults took the opportunity to go to the lounge for a night cap.

Agree,

and doing a happy dance I am off to Alaska very very soon!!!!

You made a good choice. The Fantasy is a gorgeous ship and they do handle the crowds well, but please note that if you go when the kiddies are out of school you will see a full ship with a lot of children. We prefer to go when the kids are in school. Have a great time - I am jealous!

The Fantasy is the largest ship I have been on and I never felt crowded. The average space ratio is in the mid 40s. Your average HAL ship (except Prinsendam) is in the mid 40s. So even though there are more people on Disney than on HAL the ship is bigger so it can accommodate them. The only time I saw a huge crowd was on Pirate Night.

I am not a Disney fanatic (it took me over 40 years to get to Disney World for the first time) but the service and the cabins on DCL were amazing. There were plenty of adult areas for me where I could get away from kids when I wanted.

Your numbers are a bit off. If ships sailed at double occupancy, they would be correct. But ships, especially Disney ships, don't sail at double occupancy. Disney ships typically sail at 135-155% double occupancy. In its first 3 months of sailing, the Fantasy sailed at 132.7% occupancy. The cruise line started offering discounts to increase the occupancy after those numbers came in. Disney Dream operates at about 153% occupancy. Disney ships have a lot of quad and quintuple cabins. Although the double occupancy is 2500, the maximum occupancy is 4000 and the ships tend to operate close to that second number.

At 3800 passengers on a sailing, the space ratio for Disney ships will be 34.2.

HAL ships operate closer to the industry norm of 110%. Often as low as 90%. The absolute maximum occupancy that Prisendam can get is 105%. So, even if the Prisendam had all berths occupied, its space ratio would be 46. Prisendam isn't a typical HAL ship however. It's maximum is only 837 passengers. To compare a HAL ship similar to Disney, look at the Nieuw Amsterdam. Its double occupancy is 2100. It generally operates at 110% occupancy for a space ratio of 37.5.

Your numbers are a bit off. If ships sailed at double occupancy, they would be correct. But ships, especially Disney ships, don't sail at double occupancy. Disney ships typically sail at 135-155% double occupancy. In its first 3 months of sailing, the Fantasy sailed at 132.7% occupancy. The cruise line started offering discounts to increase the occupancy after those numbers came in. Disney Dream operates at about 153% occupancy. Disney ships have a lot of quad and quintuple cabins. Although the double occupancy is 2500, the maximum occupancy is 4000 and the ships tend to operate close to that second number.

At 3800 passengers on a sailing, the space ratio for Disney ships will be 34.2.

HAL ships operate closer to the industry norm of 110%. Often as low as 90%. The absolute maximum occupancy that Prisendam can get is 105%. So, even if the Prisendam had all berths occupied, its space ratio would be 46. Prisendam isn't a typical HAL ship however. It's maximum is only 837 passengers. To compare a HAL ship similar to Disney, look at the Nieuw Amsterdam. Its double occupancy is 2100. It generally operates at 110% occupancy for a space ratio of 37.5.

Boulders, do you have the numbers for Disney MAGIC?

I've always wondered how these numbers are arrived at and would love to see the comparison on the smaller ship MAGIC.

Like Sopwith, my husband had some similar concerns (we're use to cruising Regent Cruise Line with very few kids) but nonetheless, looking forward to a wonderful 3 generation family trip over Thanksgiving week.

Edited by petlover

IMO if you don't have kids than I would avoid the larger ships in the DCL fleet. They are set up for young families and extended families. Since you stated HAL is what you have sailed in the past I think the Fantasy would overwhelm your wife. Try the Magic for she is much better sized in my opinion and we prefer after sailing the bigger DCL ships. We even find RCL Freedom of the Seas too big for our taste BUT the kids love the extra they provide for the kids. Hope it works out.:)

I disagree. We have no kids, and we LOVED the Disney Dream. We went in April, and yes we saw some princesses. We had late dining which was perfect. Our shows were not packed out (could still find seats) and our dining was relaxed and no screaming kids. The pirate deck show was busy. Obviously, its a pirate party. That was really the only over crowded time, but you would expect that with fireworks. We never waited in line more than 30 mins or so for princess photos either.

I wish I could get on the Fantasy! It is my dream ever since we shadowed them in the Carnival Dream at every port. That is an awesome ship. There are plenty of adult areas, pubs, if you get a veranda, who needs a crowded pool deck. We never were over-crowded on Disney. We happen to be going on the Magic cuz its new to us and because one in our party said 4 Day Cruise only and its a bit cheaper, but holy cannoli, if $$ wasn't an option, I would like BEG to be on the Fantasy!

On the other hand, if HAL is all you are used to, (isn't that the older quieter line?) you should pick your dates carefully or try out a 4 Day to see if Disney is right for you? The Wonder 5 Days out of Miami are pretty reasonable?

But man, if I could, I'd be on the Fantasy. It still gets Cruise Critic's overall #1 ship...

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

My family and I just got off a fully booked Dream (around 4K passengers) and IMO did not feel crowded. Even on our sea day we were able to do lunch at Cabana's at 1PM without a hitch and find a place on the pool deck. Now, having said that, If as you said, you can sort of handle kids and mice I would not recommend DCL.

My wife and I are in our 40's with a toddler, which is the main reason, we choose DCL. If we would've been cruising as a couple, I would have found other cruise lines with more appealing offerings for our taste.

Yes there are "adult" areas but these are the minority given that DCL target market is families with children. IMO I could not recommend the shows for adults. They are, again, targeted to families with children. Unless you are REALLY into Disney characters, I think you might not find them to your liking.

If you just want to try the cruise line, then no harm no foul, but I do believe there are better more fitting choices for a couple in your age group. Just my opinion

He he. We must REALLY be in to Disney characters.. Jk we love it! But we also don't need high kicks with thongs to be entertained. In fact some of the non family friendly shows make me squirm in my seat. I didn't love all of it but it was very high caliber talent. Lion king style Broadway segments were featured. That is well known for its entertainment, and not just for kids. I think most people don't care for Toy Story but I haven't seen it. I didn't care for the plot of Believe but I still found the musical show segments pretty great. (Like seeing Pocahtonas live.) Also Tarzan doing aerials was pretty cool.

I like Broadway but more like Phantom style, not sexy jazz like Chicago..I guess for me, I would be disappointed if the shows were any other way.

Who says Adults can't enjoy the shows?

:)

Plain and simple. If you like the Disney parks, you will love Disney cruising. Anyway to each their own. Try a 4 day and it won't last forever or cost a fortune if you aren't sure...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

My last cruise was the Veendam, before that the Fantasy. I really liked how small the Veendam is and loved the library and computer classes on the Veendam. But Fantasy is SOOOObeautiful and high tech. There were times it felt crowded - primarily at the kids pools. If I had been traveling without my kids I would have spent all my time at the adult pool and satellite falls. They looked so relaxing! O think you would like the Fantasy and it might be a nice change, but you might want to go or the Magic - closer to the size you are used to.

BTW, I found the service in HAL to be, overall, noy NEARLY as good as DCL.

I APOLOGIZE FOR ANY TYPOS. TYPED ON MY I-pad, at a hotel bar and without my glasses supo I can't read/check my spelling.

As mentioned before I have sailed the Magic so many times before then Fantasy and didn't really notice too much of a change, yes a few more facilities but the only crowds as such at the kids pools, buffets and shows flowed well.

Fantasy is a great ship, lots of photos and reports in my signature line.

Boulders, do you have the numbers for Disney MAGIC?

I've always wondered how these numbers are arrived at and would love to see the comparison on the smaller ship MAGIC.

Like Sopwith, my husband had some similar concerns (we're use to cruising Regent Cruise Line with very few kids) but nonetheless, looking forward to a wonderful 3 generation family trip over Thanksgiving week.

I don't have exact numbers for the Magic or Wonder like I did for Fantasy and Dream. I did find these government stats for 2011 and earlier Cruise Stats Figure 3 shows occupancy percentage. The only cruiselines that are identified are the Disney ships as they have a much higher occupancy percentage than the other lines. They are the 3 small dots (Fantasy wasn't sailing yet) at the top of the graph. It looks like Wonder and Magic sail at about 140% occupancy.

Interestingly enough, the trend is that as the ship gets bigger, the higher the occupancy rate is. Some of the smallest ships (under 1000 pax) operate at 75% occupancy, and the ships with more than 2000 pax operate at an average of 111%.

I don't have exact numbers for the Magic or Wonder like I did for Fantasy and Dream. I did find these government stats for 2011 and earlier Cruise Stats Figure 3 shows occupancy percentage. The only cruiselines that are identified are the Disney ships as they have a much higher occupancy percentage than the other lines. They are the 3 small dots (Fantasy wasn't sailing yet) at the top of the graph. It looks like Wonder and Magic sail at about 140% occupancy.

Interestingly enough, the trend is that as the ship gets bigger, the higher the occupancy rate is. Some of the smallest ships (under 1000 pax) operate at 75% occupancy, and the ships with more than 2000 pax operate at an average of 111%.

Thanks Boulder,

So if I'm understanding this correctly....though Disney Magic website says the passenger occupancy is 2400, in actuallity it may be 40% higher and closer to 3360 passengers ? The 2400 Disney quotes is only based on double occupancy?

Edited by petlover

We had the same reservations as you when we booked our first Disney cruise that we did in April on the Fantasy. We had done probably 20 cruises on HAL and Princess so that is what we were used to as well. In general we didn't find the Fantasy overly crowded, but the times/places where it was crowded, it felt jammed packed. Otherwise it was busy at the usual times (lunch buffet, shows, etc.) just like any other ship. The adults only areas never felt crowded to us though so there is always places to get away if the craziness of the pool deck isn't your thing.

We really enjoyed Disney, and the things they do well (kids, characters, entertainment), they do very well. Other things we found to be on par with other lines. Food was fine, service was good but certainly not HAL. Our biggest disappointment was Castaway Cay (talk about overcrowded). Spent the whole time wishing we were at Half Moon Cay!

Our kids of course loved every minute of it and can't wait to go back. I wouldn't choose to sail Disney every time (booked HAL again next year), but we will definitely be doing it again. You have to be prepared for a different type of cruise and not expect the traditional HAL/Princess cruise experience.

Thanks Boulder,

So if I'm understanding this correctly....though Disney Magic website says the passenger occupancy is 2400, in actuallity it may be 40% higher and closer to 3360 passengers ? The 2400 Disney quotes is only based on double occupancy?

Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy double occupancy is 2500. Their maximum occupancy is 4000.

Disney Magic and Disney Wonder double occupancy is 1754. Their maximum occupancy is 2700.

Here's another website which collates space ratios as well as cruise critic's and another travel site's ratings of the ships.

Edited by boulders

Our preference is also medium size Princess ships, but recently cruised on Fantasy with son, DIL, granddaughter and DIL mother and really enjoyed it. Since the 5 year old granddaughter fell in love with the kids area (which you really need to visit on open house), we had a lot of free time in the adult areas. Very quiet and relaxed and not crowded at all. Don't try a 4 day Dream - way too rushed. Never did explore the whole ship because there is too much to do. Cabins are huge by other cruise standards.

Ports are definitely limited; like Oasis/Allure, they want you onboard and spending money. Food was ok (better on Princess and RCI). Huge number of character encounters which you can either participate in or just watch from the sidelines. You WILL pass characters in the halls. So if you enjoy Disney parks you will likely enjoy a cruise. And the Aqua Duck is perfectly fine for 60+ year olds!

The only thing keeping us from going on Fantasy by ourselves is the price - we can cruise two weeks on Princess for the same price. And we really cruise for the ports.