Cruise cash..?

toddlangford

This is probably a stupid question but here t goes anyway... What's the difference between cruise cash and cruise cash bar? Other then the obvious that the bar cash is for use at the bar. Why not just get cruise cash so you can use it for anything rather then just the bar? The reason I'm asking is, I want to go ahead and out credit on my S&S account

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Cruise cash can be used for ANYTHING on board while bar cash only for the bar - EXCEPT Cheers can ONLY be purchased with CRUISE cash not BAR cash (funny, I know).

Exactly I understand that but why purchase bar cash instead of cruise cash? I mean them u aren't limited to what you can buy with it

This is nothing more than a marketing ploy to force you to spend money on your cruise. The only reason that the "Use It or Loose It" clause is there is so that as soon as you purchase the "Cruise or Bar Cash" the accountants can put that as already being spent, this helps to generate a income that they can bounce numbers off of to know if they need to run more drink specials etc to make the required amount to break even. Run a credit card and then you are protected from fraud or cash and then if you fall ill or decide that you are having allot fun doing activities that are not included you don't loose you hard earned money!

This is nothing more than a marketing ploy to force you to spend money on your cruise. The only reason that the "Use It or Loose It" clause is there is so that as soon as you purchase the "Cruise or Bar Cash" the accountants can put that as already being spent, this helps to generate a income that they can bounce numbers off of to know if they need to run more drink specials etc to make the required amount to break even. Run a credit card and then you are protected from fraud or cash and then if you fall ill or decide that you are having allot fun doing activities that are not included you don't loose you hard earned money!

That's true good point to bring up. Perhaps a cash account is better just add it as I go while onboard

When did this "use it or lose" it come into play? We have always gotten a check under our door for the remainder of our OBC after the cruise....

It says on carnivals cruise cash all funds not used are forfeited

Cruise Cash is not OBC (well it is, but it isn't)

If it's labeled Cruise Cash (honeymoon registry, carnivals website) then it is indeed use it or lose it

OBC you get a refund.

That's true good point to bring up. Perhaps a cash account is better just add it as I go while onboard

The Government makes over 200 Billion dollars a years performing the same scam with "Flexible Spending Accounts" tied to health care. The whole premise is that you can use before tax dollars to pay expenses, if you don't use it you loose it! We all know that there is no crystal ball that really allows us to know exactly what we are going to do in the future! The best bet will always be to think before you act and most of the time you will make the right decision.

If you know that you are no matter what happens to you, you are going to use $xx.xx dollars then this could help someone that has a hard time holding on to their money have more fun... otherwise why take a risk that is not necessary.

The Government makes over 200 Billion dollars a years performing the same scam with "Flexible Spending Accounts" tied to health care. The whole premise is that you can use before tax dollars to pay expenses, if you don't use it you loose it! We all know that there is no crystal ball that really allows us to know exactly what we are going to do in the future! The best bet will always be to think before you act and most of the time you will make the right decision.

If you know that you are no matter what happens you are going use $xx.xx dollars then this could help someone that has a hard time holding on to their money have more fun... otherwise why take a risk that is not necessary.

The way I am thinking of doing it is putting on there what I absolutely know I will spend and when it gets low add to my account

Cruise cash is good if you are getting someone going on a cruise a gift. As for purchasing it for oneself it is a no win situation. Use it or lose it and the hassle of getting it back if you cancel the cruise. You are better off putting money in a jar and adding cash later on than letting Carnival hold your money interest free. Also if you run into a real financial emergency you have your money available.

Cruise cash is good if you are getting someone going on a cruise a gift. As for purchasing it for oneself it is a no win situation. Use it or lose it and the hassle of getting it back if you cancel the cruise. You are better off putting money in a jar and adding cash later on than letting Carnival hold your money interest free. Also if you run into a real financial emergency you have your money available.

Very wisely put!! I totally agree!

Is there anything you can buy now that you can use toward the cost of the cruise like you could with funship dollars?

Yes Its a cruise gift card. You can buy it and use it as OBC or payment for a future cruise.

It's also NOT use it or lose it.

The only catch is if you don't use the balance your not refunded but the balance is put on a new gift card for you to use in the future.

It's a better deal than cruise cash. At least I don't lose it.

Yes Its a cruise gift card. You can buy it and use it as OBC or payment for a future cruise.

It's also NOT use it or lose it.

The only catch is if you don't use the balance your not refunded but the balance is put on a new gift card for you to use in the future.

It's a better deal than cruise cash. At least I don't lose it.

I agree get the gift card. I feel I cruise a lot (about twice a year). I love the gift cards. Use them all the time.

Regarding the Bar Cash vs. Cruise Cash

It's possible that they have different catagories is that if my friends are going on a cruise or if I have a couple of people cruiseing with me,,, maybe I want to buy them a drink.

Cruise Cash/Bar Cash/Photo Cash doesn't show on documents when printing out. Therefore, when my friend gets to their cabin, there will be a note/card/envelope informing my friend that I have purchased a drink or some photos or provided some cash for them to use.

Use or lose it policy????

Read it, don't understand the reasoning behind it,,, don't really care.

Do you just put the (previously purchased) gift card down on your account when you check in, then? Thx.

With the Carnival Gift Card, once you board the ship you will need to go to the Guest Services desk and have it applied to your account. Here is a link to the Carnival Gift Card

http://www.carnivalgiftcards.com/

You would think they would throw you bone on this cruise cash , some sort of Buy $50 get $55 of something . I really don't see the point , I mean spend it now or later $50 is $50 to me. I know some people like to have everything prepaid that would be the only advantage.

Archived