Lines for Buffet???

audreybella

Yes, it is all about timing. We eat all meals in the buffet ( all except for 2 on the last cruise). I wait and drink coffee until they open in the morn, so never a line, except for 3 or 4 folks. Lunch we grab early, like 10-11, dinner we grab at like 4, maybe 5, and often bring it back from port.

I haven't been on a Carnival ship in 5 years. Last week I sailed on the Carnival Victory and I was in complete shock that I could not get anywhere near the buffet lines. If I wanted to have food at the buffet, I'd probably have to wait 30 mins or more in line. Is this the norm? I am booked on the Liberty in December and am now worried!!

I have only sailed Norwegian in the past 5 years and have never had this issue even in their smaller ship, the NCL Sky over Memorial weekend which was sold out!

Don't worry. You will get some food. Newbies always freak out but it will be fine my friend.

Diamond Status

We haven't cruised with Carnival for a few years, but don't remember long lines.

Is the buffet one long line or do they have stations like Princess does?

With the stations you are able to walk around and choose what you would like to eat. Each station is set-up with different section of food,

We haven't cruised with Carnival for a few years, but don't remember long lines.

Is the buffet one long line or do they have stations like Princess does?

With the stations you are able to walk around and choose what you would like to eat. Each station is set-up with different section of food,

Carnival buffet is nothing like Princess. On Carnival there are many different station set up in each area. midship there are two stations-- one on each side. these will have the same foods (across from those stations is a dessert buffet area) go further forward and there will be three different stations== one on each side they have the same food as each other but will serve different food from the mid ship one and one across and this will have different foods.

I think the mid ship one is most crowded as most people think this is the only line and they all serve the same food so just get in the first line they see. I suggest take a walk around the lido deck to see what is offered.

This is why many people did not see the mongolian grill til later in the week

Carnival buffet is nothing like Princess. On Carnival there are many different station set up in each area. midship there are two stations-- one on each side. these will have the same foods (across from those stations is a dessert buffet area) go further forward and there will be three different stations== one on each side they have the same food as each other but will serve different food from the mid ship one and one across and this will have different foods.

I think the mid ship one is most crowded as most people think this is the only line and they all serve the same food so just get in the first line they see. I suggest take a walk around the lido deck to see what is offered.

Gotta assume the Freedom also has a deli, pizza, fish, as well as a burger grill/Guys' stand.

This will help us.

I think the secret was hit the line in reverse, and just get food where people are standing at. Because everyone was so poky, there were always big gaps. If I couldn't get exactly what I wanted I would go back when that spot opened. Slightly rude I know, but many people being SOOOO SLOW was pretty rude as well.

+1

You kind of wonder about some folks. How do they get through daily activities when they have such a difficult time making a decision?

Of course the design of the buffet could be better but that doesn't eliminate the people who spend excessive time trying to make up their mind whether they want olives on their salad or whether they should have an extra tomato. For example the salad section could be isolated from the main course offerings and put in a separate island. They do this with desserts. Can you imagine the congestion if desserts were part of the line too.

I have only been on one other cruise line but they had a much superior buffet design that reduced the congestion and the waiting. Yes, Carnival has other food venues to choose from but the main buffet design leaves much to be desired.

What to do about the slow-poke people? As ano suggests go for the opening. Take your selections and move on. If it annoys the slow-pokes too bad. You are helping speed up the process for everyone else behind them.

Cheers!

I hate buffets. With that said on a cruise sometimes it's the easiest option. On the Pride last week, I was miserable at the buffets. I had never seen lines (at various times of the day) that bad. Plus the way it was laid out was strange, so by day 5, the whole family refused to go to buffet. I wish Carnival had more options for quick food. (Royal has the Promenade for instance and you can grab quick sandwiches 24 hours a day. Never a line. Already prepared. I missed that.)

Oh and don't get me started about the family who came in from port. Sat down at a table at the buffet. Then brushed their long hair one by one before getting their food. People were eating around them and they were brushing hair. Disgusting. Have I mentioned I hate buffets? :)

It's the class of ship. I have noticed on the Victory Class of ships, there is not enough buffet lines for the number of passengers. They doubled up the service lines on the later bigger ships and that is why you are seeing others post that the lines were not long on the Dream, Freedom etc...

We have been on the Victory twice and noticed long buffet lines both times and not on other Conquest or larger class ships.

I haven't been on a Carnival ship in 5 years. Last week I sailed on the Carnival Victory and I was in complete shock that I could not get anywhere near the buffet lines. If I wanted to have food at the buffet, I'd probably have to wait 30 mins or more in line. Is this the norm?

The Victory was my third cruise and the lines were down right awful. Huge lines at the buffet no matter what the time was. Huge lines to board the tender, hours before we were supposed to be back on the ship. And then the people got so rude when they are waiting! People cutting in front of you all the time because it was their vacation and they shouldn't have to wait...

Never had that problem on any other ship that I have been on, bigger or smaller. If it were my first cruise it would have turned me off completely. Mostly the way the other people reacted.

I'm a bit worried for my upcoming Triumph cruise because I believe the lido layout is similar to the victory and with a two year old we will be eating many of our meals at the buffet. We shall see!

We always cruise the first or second week of December as prices are usually great and crowds are much thinner. So far we have never had to wait more than 15 minutes in any line and that was for the Mongolian grill which ALWAYS had a line. The buffets have always been quick even when there were 20 or more people in line ahead of us.

Just off the Pride --

After the lunch buffets close, the pizza and the grill lines are horrendous. We were late for lunch one day and just didn't eat because of the lines at pizza and grill. Ice cream line was also very long most days.

Serenity Bar had a food menu, but we were told they had no food (?).

Our 2007 cruise was not this bad as far as trying to get food on the "off" times.

Kris

Hopefully Carnival reads posts like this and will attempt to make changes. Here are some suggestions:

1) Deli. Limit each person to two sandwiches. People will order 4 or 5 different ones and it takes them forever to make them.

2) Pizza. Same suggestion. If your whole group of 15 people wants pizza, then have them wait in the line so others can get a realistic guide of how long the wait will be.

3) Pizza. Maybe have someone take a pizza order from you when you enter the line, so your pizza will be ready when you get to the front. Instead they just make random pizza types and the kind you get is hit or miss.

4) Mongolian BBQ. Add two more Wok burners. Most of the time everyone is just waiting for things to cook. There is no reason this should take 30+ minutes.

5) Buffet. Spread out food instead of having everything in a single line. That would go SO much faster. Especially separate out the salad bar.

6) Add hand sanitizers AFTER the buffet line. Mass people get sick on cruises because everyone touches the same forks and tongs. Sanitizer at the start is great if EVERYONE uses it. They don't.

7) Burrito Bar. Give your staff better food prep. training. Waited 20+ minutes to get a burrito, and when I got done, it was clear that the Filipino cook had no idea what a burrito should look like. I wish I had a picture. It was funny. Didn't know burritos were square.

That Carnival no longer supplies a "tray" to place your plates, silverware, and glasses on while going thru the food lines? If so I guess you make several trips to accumulate your meal?

The Liberty has 2.0 upgrades, and I think they really help with lines at the buffet. You can eat at buffet or guys or Cantina or ocean plaza, etc. I would also say sometimes people stop at the front buffet and there are additional buffet stations are back which are never as crowded. When we were on the Breeze I went to the back buffet and found other food which I liked better than the main offerings in front.

I agree completely. I always go to the aft buffet lines 1st since they are much less crowded.

But on 2.0 ships or the Dream class ships there are so many food venues that have taken pressure off the buffets I rarely see lines even waiting to pick up a plate.

I think the problem with the buffets is people moving slow also, or can't decide what they want. When I get in line, or while passing the station, I'm looking already to see whats being offered, and that way I can make a decision when or have already made a decision as to what I want when I get in front of each dish. Some lines are longer, like at the Wok and Deli, on certain ships, but I have never waited more than 10-15 minutes. Also, if that particular line is long, and there's something else I'm going to get, I go get that, and then return to the line at a later time, or when I notice the long isn't that long.

Hi,

I was on the Victory a few weeks ago and had a bit of a different experience. I found if I went a little later for breakfast or lunch- the lines were fine. I also found that one side of the buffet was used a lot more (and thus had a longer line!) than the other side! So it must really depend on the whims of the guests traveling with each sailing.

I do agree with you about the Mexican Buffet...I took one look at the line which wrapped all the way around to the main lido area and I went to bed :)

C-

Thats good to hear. We had no issues in the dining room.

And forget about the Mexican Buffet at 11:30, it was as if noone had ever seen food!!! I had to opt for the pizza place.

I haven't been on a Carnival ship in 5 years. Last week I sailed on the Carnival Victory and I was in complete shock that I could not get anywhere near the buffet lines. If I wanted to have food at the buffet, I'd probably have to wait 30 mins or more in line. Is this the norm? I am booked on the Liberty in December and am now worried!!

I have only sailed Norwegian in the past 5 years and have never had this issue even in their smaller ship, the NCL Sky over Memorial weekend which was sold out!

We rarely have a problem with buffet lines but if there's a line we just go somewhere (like to watch the ocean go by) and try later. There's so much food on the ship I am never REALLY starving. Usually the lines are about 10 minutes or so. Another tip is go to the lines at the aft of the ship. More people go to the first set of buffet lines near the entrances off the pool. The ones in the back are not usually as busy.

Archived