Lines for Buffet???

audreybella

I haven't been on a Carnival ship in 5 years. Last week I sailed on the Carnival Victory and I was in complete shock that I could not get anywhere near the buffet lines. If I wanted to have food at the buffet, I'd probably have to wait 30 mins or more in line. Is this the norm? I am booked on the Liberty in December and am now worried!!

I have only sailed Norwegian in the past 5 years and have never had this issue even in their smaller ship, the NCL Sky over Memorial weekend which was sold out!

On our Dream cruise last week, I was amazed at the lack of lines at the buffet (we ate there only for lunch). We were generally there from 12:00-1:00pm and I've never seen so few people at the buffet on other ships.

On our Dream cruise last week, I was amazed at the lack of lines at the buffet (we ate there only for lunch). We were generally there from 12:00-1:00pm and I've never seen so few people at the buffet on other ships.

Thats good to hear. We had no issues in the dining room.

And forget about the Mexican Buffet at 11:30, it was as if noone had ever seen food!!! I had to opt for the pizza place.

I haven't been on a Carnival ship in 5 years. Last week I sailed on the Carnival Victory and I was in complete shock that I could not get anywhere near the buffet lines. If I wanted to have food at the buffet, I'd probably have to wait 30 mins or more in line. Is this the norm? I am booked on the Liberty in December and am now worried!!

I have only sailed Norwegian in the past 5 years and have never had this issue even in their smaller ship, the NCL Sky over Memorial weekend which was sold out!

We did the Freedom last Fall. Previous to that we'd pretty much done RCCI and one HAL. We had 'tried' cruising years ago on the Imagination 'just to see if we liked cruising', which obviously we did, but I really can't remember what the buffet was like there as it was so many years ago. Regarding the buffet on Freedom, I will say at times it seemed a tad more like a 'feeding frenzy' compared to what we had been used to, but I don't think waiting 30 minutes or more in line ever was the case. It wasn't wonderful, but certainly wasn't something I'd have big complaints over. Sorry about your experience .... from what I understand (I think) the Liberty is like the Freedom in layout (I could be way wrong since I'm not a constant Carnival cruiser) but hopefully you will have a similar experience to ours. However, like all ships ... maybe if you try and avoid the peak times it will help. Good luck!:)

I think all the stories about waiting in the long buffet lines are highly exaggerated. I've NEVER stood in ANY buffet lines longer than 3-5 minutes and I have been on small and large ships. Now I'm also not one to go running up to the buffet as soon as the food within eye-shot like some people I see on cruises. (as if they've never eaten before).

Usually I have my food about the same time the first plate would arrive in the dining room anyway....... actually I've waited in the line waiting for the dining room to be opened up longer. just be aware, PEAK dinner times will have more waiting for sure and its all good.

The lines may have seemed long enough to wait 30 minutes, but I don't think that would be the case, they move along fairly well - about 5 minutes max at the buffet.

Also, it is summer time, peak cruising time for families...

I think all the stories about waiting in the long buffet lines are highly exaggerated. I've NEVER stood in ANY buffet lines longer than 3-5 minutes and I have been on small and large ships. Now I'm also not one to go running up to the buffet as soon as the food within eye-shot like some people I see on cruises. (as if they've never eaten before).

Usually I have my food about the same time the first plate would arrive in the dining room anyway....... actually I've waited in the line waiting for the dining room to be opened up longer. just be aware, PEAK dinner times will have more waiting for sure and its all good.

The lines may have seemed long enough to wait 30 minutes, but I don't think that would be the case, they move along fairly well - about 5 minutes max at the buffet.

I agree. Have never waited anywhere near 30 minutes at the buffet, nor would I.

I've been on many Carnival cruises and I have never had to wait in line for mor than 10 minutes; even during peak times. I guess I can't relate to people who say they've had to wait over 30 minutes.

Mongolian Grill is the longest wait but well worth it :D

Don't recall any buffet line being 30 mins to get through. The odd wait while staff replace empty food containers but usually less than a minute or two

The Liberty has 2.0 upgrades, and I think they really help with lines at the buffet. You can eat at buffet or guys or Cantina or ocean plaza, etc. I would also say sometimes people stop at the front buffet and there are additional buffet stations are back which are never as crowded. When we were on the Breeze I went to the back buffet and found other food which I liked better than the main offerings in front.

have you ever seen the Mongilian station line at the end of the cruise-- wowsers.

but the regular buffet line-- with so many various options for the buffet area if the line is long go to another one. they are opened on both sides and usually have the same thing-- then further along there is another station that has complete different food.

I agree, like you we've never waited at the buffet. Where I did have to wait for about 10 minutes was in the omelet line. I always get fried eggs in the morning, and it's worth the wait. We do any time dining and usually have to wait no more than 15 minutes. We enjoy a glass of wine while waiting. No big deal for us.

We were on Glory 2 weeks ago and it was way over capacity. I saw constant lines at prime time, but none were more than 12 people long and most were considerably shorter (3 to 6 people).

Of interest, you can usually find the same food in a different place with a much shorter line almost all the time. Saw lines on one side of buffet with 12 people while the other side only had 3. There are several omelet stations. Usually 1 or 2 people max at one while much busier at the others. Just explore a little.

Complete, very detailed review of Carnival Glory to Canada: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/carnival-glory.html

Summer time when families prefer to use the buffet over MDR for food is what I think you are running into. As long as it is not a Christmas or New Years cruise, you should not be too bad off, IMO.

Good luck, and don't "worry" about a line for food when there are bigger things to worry about.

On the Dream two weeks ago and lines were LONG. The ship has an overcapacity problem. Still I would say the buffet line took maybe 15 to get through start to finish. The Mongolian BBQ was much worse. 30+ minutes. Both breakfast and lunch were pretty bad. Dinner at the buffet was a breeze, almost nobody there.

Part of the problem was the ship, but much of the problem was the people. I watched and they were SO SLOW. Its a buffet, take what you want and move on folks. The usual case was they would run out of something because they were short-staffed, and people would stand there and wait for a refill.

I think the secret was hit the line in reverse, and just get food where people are standing at. Because everyone was so poky, there were always big gaps. If I couldn't get exactly what I wanted I would go back when that spot opened. Slightly rude I know, but many people being SOOOO SLOW was pretty rude as well.

For lunch, the lines were pretty minimal on the Magic in December. However, I really wanted to eat at Mongolian BBQ and there was always a line that looked easily 30 min or more! Every time. Burrito place had pretty long lines and I didn't think it was worth it. The food was good everywhere so I didn't see the need to stand in line. Tandoori was excellent and never had lines.

I was on the Victory 2 weeks ago. The lines at the buffet were around 15-20 minutes start to finish between say 11:30 and 1:00. After 1:00 they start closing down, so you can't wait too long unless you want hockey pucks and dogs by the pool.

One thing I noticed were people that would dash ahead of the line to get to items further down the line then double back and cut in. Besides being incredibly rude, it really created bottle necks-- especially when they returned to more than one area.

Ive been on 4 cruises all on carnival I never had to wait in line longer then 5 minutes if there eas a long line I would just go to another station there are plenty of choices I've gone at peaks times with out problems

You will not wait anywhere like 30 minutes. Summer cruises are notoriously crowded.

We were with CaribbeanBound and the cruise was over 120% of standard occupancy. That only happens when schools are out.

I agree although it can be more then 5 minutes. It maxed out at 12 or so minute for us.

With 2.0 ,there were multiple choices besides the main buffet lines. There were Guys burgers, a Taco stand, Fish n Chips place,

Pizza and Pannini lines and perhaps a couple more with seperate dessert areas.

You don't have to wait in the main buffet lines.

I've never waited in line over 5 minutes at the buffet. I think the longest that I've waited in line was about 10 or 12 minutes, but that was at the Mongolian Wok so that was to be expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I827 using Forums mobile app

Archived