Would you pay an extra $1000 to cruise over New Years?

Vt Rider

Yes! We did it last New Years on the breeze!! It was an amazing experience. We loved it so much we booked for this New Years again. Since I have 4 kids (3 of them being teenagers) I will not take them out of school to travel so we have no choice but to travel during peak time. We were considering the Feb cruise on the breeze but it was more money. And honestly...New Years Eve was incredible & we want to experience it again!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
For the past two years I've booked cruises as Christmas presents for my kids ages 13-15. We've taken them over February break and they love it. This year I'm considering a New Years cruise on the Splendor out of New York. It would be $1000 more to go over New Years as opposed to the same cruise in February. These are connecting interior rooms. I think it would be great for the kids to learn about the cruise on Christmas Day and tell them to pack their bags because we're leaving in two days.

Hard to justify the extra $1000 when it's already a streach to do the cruise this year.

Any thoughts?

I would like to do it, I just dont think I would. I just cant see paying substantially more for the exact same thing.

Truthfully, if we could cruise as a family at any other time, we would. My being a teacher, and dh a CPA, we are kinda "stuck" to holiday rate time periods. I know it is double or triple the price of many other times to cruise, but I really have no choice. If you can cruise at another time, go for it and save the money. In a year or two (when I retire) I will be able to enjoy those "cheap" rates the rest of you get to enjoy!!:p:D

As you can see from my signature, we've taken a few cruises that start on Jan 1 or 2, but not including New Years Eve. We always travel for New Years since my birthday is January 1st, but I cannot justify paying a ridiculous amount just to spend NYE onboard. We travel to the port city or nearby and do NYE on land - have had a blast in both Tampa and Miami on New Years. This past year we did a B2B that included NYE only because we received a killer deal. NYE on the ship was a ton of fun, but if it meant spending an extra $1000, we wouldn't have done it. The price to board a cruise a day or two after NYE is normally very reasonable.

For the past two years I've booked cruises as Christmas presents for my kids ages 13-15. We've taken them over February break and they love it. This year I'm considering a New Years cruise on the Splendor out of New York. It would be $1000 more to go over New Years as opposed to the same cruise in February. These are connecting interior rooms. I think it would be great for the kids to learn about the cruise on Christmas Day and tell them to pack their bags because we're leaving in two days.

Hard to justify the extra $1000 when it's already a streach to do the cruise this year.

Any thoughts?

No, thanks. Too much additional money involved.

Truthfully, if we could cruise as a family at any other time, we would.:p:D

Same here. My wife's a teacher in another school distric than our children and spring breaks don't line up. Plus I have 1 daughter that plays softball approx. 10 months/year and H.S. season is during spring break. My youngest is getting into cross country and that is quite a commitment and she missed some time this past summer due to our cruise which set her back (but cruise was worth it).

So our next two booked cruises are NYE cruises (did one last year too). We are doing those due to NYE being complete off time for all of us (no scheduled work, school, sports, etc...) not specifically to celebrate NYE on a ship. It's just a nice side benefit. I also must be one of the few that enjoys families on a cruise. Never been on HAL but I get shivers up my spine just thinking about everyone in bed by 10 pm.

It sure will be cheap to cruise once the munchkins are gone.

Pro: Schools are on break, so there's no taking the kids out of school

Cons: Obviously the price.

That being said, if you have the means, I'd go for it. I always look at the NYE cruises because my birthday is 12/31. One year we will do it for sure, but l do have a hard time justifying the price increase for that holiday when cruises a few weeks before or after are sooo much cheaper. But, as long as we are dealing with school schedules, we have to pay higher prices to cruise during school holidays...supply and demand.

I would wait to go for when the trip is less expensive!

My husband and I got married on New Years Eve, so we would really love to take a cruise over NYE one of these days. We find it really hard to justify the extra cost though!! So instead of going over NYE this year we are doing a back to back in February.

The $1000 more premise is faulty. Sure, if you sail off-season a NYE trip may be as much as $500 pp more. But it you break it down compared to high season rates the difference is not quite so dramatic. $889 pp for a 7c in July, $969 pp for an 8d leaving 12/29. Helped that there was a great resident rate for December. Same ship but better itinerary in my opinion. No stop in Nassau for NYE trip.

you know here is how i look at it, with taking 14 and paying all costs for all, it is adding up to approx 25k, 14 cruises, 14 airline tickets return trip from canada, 3 rental vehicles, two villas in florida for 14 people, 7 in each and for six nights and here is how i see it in my mind

its for the chrilden, be it the adult children, or the grand children.

at the end of the day and decades later, there are two considerations:

1. the money spent on this this year is ultimately theirs, even though is being paid by us, its that much less left for them in the end when we are no longer here

2. to inherit $ at 40 50 60 years old they probably will definately not need it as much as they could appreciate it today. They will be further established then, instead of having a mortgage only 3 years old they will likely be way ahead in that area, and

3. right now starting out with young famililies all of them, its not as easy to find the money for this type of vacation. When they are decades older and inherit same, they probably wont need it quite as much so

i figure its giving them a memory when the children are 6 and 9 that they woulldnt otherwise afford, its giving them a share of their inheritance now when they need it more rather than when they are decades older, so ultimately are we really spending our own money, i dont really look at it that way, i see it as spending what they would otherwise be left to them when some day we move on and

we are actually enjoying that time with them, spending that $ with them, are giving it to them when it matters, no when we are gone and no longer here. the memory they will have of all 14 of us doing this for new years, will be life lasting

so i am grabbing at this opportunity. I explain to them, whats spent now, is not still left in the end sort of a joke, but the reality is its fact.

the holiday experience with them all will be worth every penny, and even that we are a blended family having come together older in life, im so pleased all children and grandchildren, some of whom havent even met each other yet due to distance, im thrilled we are thrilled!

The net effect in the end you may not be costing you as much as you think, some inherited money may or may not have tax consequences attached to it.

Some of our best family memories are vacation memories.

Do it while you can cause you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Enjoy your cruise and time spent with your family.

I booked the February cruise instead of New Years. Figured I'd save the money and it wouldn't be as hectic around the holidays. Maybe now we can do a night or two in NYC before the cruise.

Thanks for all the input. If I see the New Year's cruise come down I may switch but for now I'll save my money.

That is what I would do as well. Are you still going to try to surprise the kids with it on Christmas? So many fun ways you can do that.

Any thoughts?

I was not able to read every single post in this thread, so did I miss something?

I will be doing a NYE cruise this year for $799 p/p.

Why is the OP's so much? Because it is out of NY? I'll be going out of FL.

Took our first New Years cruise last year and LOVED it. It was a bit more pricey but we have cruised twice at Christmas as well as spring break so were kinda used to the prices. It is hard when kids are in school to get a good time for everyone. We have a dd in college who was going to be out of the country for that time, and a senior in high school with mandatory basketball practices so for the first time we went alone as a couple. OMG ........ what a different cruise :) hoping to book for this year as well very very soon.

Really?? I am about to go on my 6th New Years cruise. We LOVE them. The décor and the atmosphere is different than any other cruise. Would I spend a $1000 MORE, no..and we never have.. Either your comparing different categories, not looking for price drops or something is off... I'm doing a seven day next August and it's $1723 New Years is $1876.. Same cabin type.. I always shoot for less than $100 per night any time of year maybe $120 for New Years and have pretty much been able to do it.

Something isn't right..;)

Archived