Appropriate Colors?

I realized as I'm planning clothing for an upcoming half segment of a World Voyage (while summer clothing is still somewhat available here). . . I'm not entirely certain what is proper fashion?

I'm used to Northern Hemisphere mores, and while it's winter up here, I'm going to be spending quite a lot of my time aboard in the Southern Hemisphere where it will be summer. With that in mind, are pastels and white appropriate? I was always raised with the notion of 'white from Memorial Day to Labor Day'.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pack and dress for the weather where you will be. I was in New Zealand last November - December and people were dressed for spring and summer both on the ship and off. FWIW I think those old rules went out the window long ago.

It's funny though, I never feel uncomfortable in summery colors on a warmer winter day, but clothes that look "wintery" are a no-go for me during the summer.

I realized as I'm planning clothing for an upcoming half segment of a World Voyage (while summer clothing is still somewhat available here). . . I'm not entirely certain what is proper fashion?

I'm used to Northern Hemisphere mores, and while it's winter up here, I'm going to be spending quite a lot of my time aboard in the Southern Hemisphere where it will be summer. With that in mind, are pastels and white appropriate? I was always raised with the notion of 'white from Memorial Day to Labor Day'.

Hi Northern Hemisphere,

I see that you will be on Queen Elizabeth next year. You will love her. I was on her last year’s world cruise. I think the notion of not wearing white after the Labor Day’s is so yesterday. If you choose the right fabric it would be fine. But since you will be in the Southern Hemisphere wear whatever you want.

Have a fantastic cruise.

Marie

I was always raised with the notion of 'white from Memorial Day to Labor Day'.

The rest of the world doesn't care about arbitrary fashion rules bounded by American holidays. If it's summer where you're going, wear summer clothes.

I am taking very little "winter" clothing. I figure I will need it in Southampton and until we get to Fort Lauderdale, probably SF, Japan, South Korea, and China. All of the rest should be warm weather and so my clothing will be geared for that. Almost all of my dark colored clothing is evening wear. That "only wear white..." is an American thing that most people don't care (or even know) about. If my computer ever decides to like CC again (it hasn't for the last hour so I am on my iPad) I will post the link to an article about the "white clothes" thing.

Dress for the climate where you will be traveling. If it is summer, wear whites, pastels or whatever else you wear for summer in AZ.......

and have a GREAT cruise.

I was raised with that 'white from Memorial Day to Labor Day' rule also, but quickly abandoned it when I left home. Normally, I like to decide on one or two colors that are good with white and put outfits togather to mix and match. This helps me to save on packing so many different accessories and etc. Just dress for the weather and have FUN!

CJ

Thank you all so much for the replies!

There were some fantastic end-of-summer sales on today, so I was able to get some good bargains, and now have the items stashed away in my closet to take with me!

@Porthopper: I am definitely looking forward to it! My first experience with ships was with the QEII back in the 70's as a tween. We spent two summers in Europe but my mother (until, oddly, the near end of her life) Absolutely refused to step foot on an airplane, so we had four trans-Atlantics back then, and I remember those ranking among some of the very best times of my life! I've found in my modern day cruising that there are never enough sea days for my taste, so the World Voyage will be ideal in that regard!

@Scrapnana: That was entirely my thinking as well. Particularly for the legs I am confirmed for. I really do want to book the entire cruise, it's just a matter of finances and having to pay for two people's fares, since my aunt is only able to travel through to Tokyo. It would be a hefty sum for me to remain aboard solo for the rest of the Voyage, unless I possibly consider downgrading my stateroom for the rest of the journey.

Archived