Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

[quote name='surfergirle']My rep at HAL said it was happening at embarkation yesterday.[/quote]

And I wonder how much fun that was for the HAL reps dealing with pax who had no idea of the change:rolleyes:

[quote name='surfergirle']My rep at HAL said it was happening at embarkation yesterday.[/QUOTE]

What is happening?

1. Limiting the amount of wine/champagne in carry-on?
2. Confiscating all other wine/champagne, beer and other hard stuff in checked luggage?
3. Disallowing extra 750 ml per person wine/champagne at each new port stop?

[quote name='NoWhiners']well said. I don't like the change but I think it is up to HAL to decide what policy they want to implement. I am most annoyed about the instant rollout, especially for those of us who are cruising in the next few months. Not much communication there. No major change like this should happen overnight.

But after reading all these posts (yes, I read every one of them on this thread:)), I am starting to think that Lorene is correct--HAL will back off.[B] I wonder if some of us weren't too quick to say we would gladly pay corkage when we board as long as we can bring our own wine on. That may have played into HALs hand.[/B] Now they can say, 'OK, no more unlimited wine; the limit is <x> bottles per port per person (or whatever) and you have to pay $20 corkage, no matter where it is consumed'. And they will stick with crappy over-priced wines as the onboard choices.

Stay tuned for more updates from HAL...

ML[/quote]

But I really never had a problem with that. My wine isn't expensive but I really enjoy it. Add the corkage fee, and I am still way ahead of anything that HAL has to offer, both in price and in wines I like. I happily take my $10 bottle of wine to dinner and pay corkage.

I believe Lorene is correct, also. I don't think HAL had any anticipation of the backlash that has happened. It's all over their facebook page as well, and that, coupled with the mass of emails they are getting, should contribute to their re-thinking some of the details of this new policy. Edited by startwin

[quote name='startwin']But I really never had a problem with that. My wine isn't expensive but I really enjoy it. Add the corkage fee, and I am still way ahead of anything that HAL has to offer, both in price and in wines I like. I happily take my $10 bottle of wine to dinner and pay corkage.

I believe Lorene is correct, also. I don't think HAL had any anticipation of the backlash that has happened. It's all over their facebook page as well, and that, coupled with the mass of emails they are getting, should contribute to their re-thinking some of the details of this new policy.[/QUOTE]

Omg where can i see it on the facebook page? Are they deleting posts? I can check with DH facebook acct. Edited by surfergirle

[quote name='surfergirle']Omg where can i see it on the facebook page? Are they deleting posts? I can check with DH facebook acct.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any posts deleted yet - it's on the right hand side where people post comments - just click the comments to see them all.

[quote name='surfergirle']Omg where can i see it on the facebook page? Are they deleting posts? I can check with DH facebook acct.[/QUOTE]

Good question, I'd like to know too because I'm Facebook challenged. I've looked but I can't see comments of any kind on there.

Just spoke to HAL in Australia, they were as shocked as I was, they hadn't even been told of the change themselves. My phone call was the first they heard of it.

It really impacts on us, my DH and I had booked our New Zealand trip, which is past final payment, on the premise that we could buy interesting NZ wines in Port to bring back on the ship. We can't do that now, and the HAL wine list is appallingly bad and expensive. I'm actually afraid to tell my DH, he will be devastated. If we had not made final payment we would have cancelled and gone Princess.

It won't impact on our South Pacific trip, not only did we get the Explore 4 package added but because of the warmer weather my DH drinks more beers and mixed drinks on that cruise.

However the 'upper' I got from the Explore 4 has now been slammed by the 'downer' of the new wine policy.

[quote name='kazu']I haven't seen any posts deleted yet - it's on the right hand side where people post comments - just click the comments to see them all.[/QUOTE]

I've pulled up holland America and looked at the right and I see nothing but happy posts. Clearly I'm very challenged.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Jacqui,

Surely I have missed it but what is the connection between not being able to bring unlimited wine aboard and no longer booking a Suite? What does one have to do with the other? :confused:

Why is the suite less desireable because the Wine Policy changed?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Judy - part of the reason we take a suite is the ability to entertain (which includes wine - we buy HAL's liquor and HAL's pop - I don't lug that on).

We hosted a wine tasting on the Prinsendam - would have liked a private room but HAL wanted a ridiculous amount of money.

I would NOT have taken the upsell to the PS on the P'dam without the wine policy. And I can assure you that the upsell was not just a few $$ on this ship.

We had in room dining for my b'day and used our wine (much better than HAL's). We invited organizers and people we had connected to on our roll call to our room. And we had drinks - wine, liquor, pop for them all. The wine was ours (well not all - there were a couple of bottles of Rudi's wines as well that I had pre - ordered).

I believe Melanie posted something to the effect that no wonder this was happening if HAL has to upsell the suites. As you know we pay the full price as you do. I don't know if this will clarify things for you or not but here is the reply I posted (and I stand behind it even if some of you think I am 'silly')

Here it is:

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]]well, they have one more suite to give away - I for one will NOT book a full priced suite when I can't even enjoy a local glass of wine in my room. Neither will DH.

I said this over a year ago and people laughed at me - that's fine - part of our justification for the room was bringing our own wine on board in different ports and enjoying it in our room and/or with company we invited.

I 'calculated' that into the whole thing and justified it in my mind.

DH and I discussed it last night and he agrees - if we can't bring wine onboard - IF we sail HAL - it will not be in a full priced Neptune Suite - we don't have one booked on the P'dam as I wanted to wait to see what the policy was (it's expensive enough as it is).

So each to their own - HAL can give away another suite - some say the economy is picking up and they will be booked. Really? We'll see. if you are 4* or above, the extra amenities are few - the space is nice - but if I have to go to a bar to get a drink - then who cares?

and before someone says I can order HAL's wine - I do - but I can only drink the same wine over and over on a 30 day cruise - and I am NOT about to pay top dollar for a suite when I can't even have a sampling of the port I was just in. Yes, for some of us, it does matter.

My space is worth little - so why book it at full price?

Let's see - Hal selling my S suite on the Prinsendam at rock bottom prices versus me bringing on a few bottles of wine. My, the bean counters must have been very busy

I just thank heavens they aren't my accountant because seriously, I could have suggested a lot better solutions to HAL that would have probably made sense than this silly garbage.

Not to mention no notice - don't even get me started. Yes, I am an unhappy puppy not just this policy but the way it has been done - they haven't even had the courtesy to respond to posts on FB.

HAL - you should be ashamed. Hang your head and hang it low.

But no worries, obviously you don't want cruisers like me on board. I'm pretty sure there are other cruise lines that would like our business.

If this is what Micky Arison (hope I spelled it right and don't really care) meant in his interview by 'fixing' a couple of lines - he just blew it big time.

Just our feelings (yes, Dh's too) and our opinions. HAL can do what it wants - and so will we
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR] Edited by kazu

[quote name='OlsSalt']What is happening?

1. Limiting the amount of wine/champagne in carry-on?
2. Confiscating all other wine/champagne, beer and other hard stuff in checked luggage?
3. Disallowing extra 750 ml per person wine/champagne at each new port stop?[/QUOTE]

" new wine policy is in effect at embarkation today". We JUST found out. "

[quote name='surfergirle']Def not better! More suite perks, yes, and amazing all inclusive beverage package, persian gardens nice too, great wine list. Thats it for me, in other ways they are not better.

If HAL inproved wine list and bev package, (and didn't implement this after people gave them money in good faith under the old policy)

like if they advertised it for all new cruises booked moving forward) then we would stick w HAL...

There would be nothing wrong w it.[/quote]

Please accept that I am not trying to start a quarrel with you, but I believe that a few points need to be made.

1. Not everyone is sailing in a suite. When Celebrity's more standard balcony cabins (including Concierge and Aqua) are nearly as roomy inside with some decent balcony furniture, let me know.

2. The lack of anything remotely resembling a wrap-around Promenade deck, at least on their "S" class ships, while not an absolute deal-killer, is a definite downside, at least for us.

3. Having only two banks of elevators (forward and mid-ship) on ships of that size is a major design flaw IMHO.

4. The interior design of the public spaces on "X" is far more modern. Whether this is a plus or minus obviously depends on individual tastes.

All I am trying to point out is that for at least some of us, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I [U]do[/U] understand that a few folks are justifiably upset by the change and especially how HAL is implementing it. I would ask you all to keep in mind that at least in our experience, the vast majority of HAL cruisers are not big drinkers and very few are true oenophiles.

HAL may well lose a relatively few cruisers due to the change and I suspect that they already know that and accept it in return for trying to increase revenue.

I originally came to CC as a refugee from the old AOL boards and if memory serves correctly (an admittedly shaky proposition), I cannot remember this even being an issue back then. I'm quite sure that on our first cruise (Ryndam 1998), it never occurred to any of us that the cruise line might be OK with passengers bringing their own booze aboard.

[quote name='jimmy2x']Please accept that I am not trying to start a quarrel with you, but I believe that a few points need to be made.

1. Not everyone is sailing in a suite. When Celebrity's more standard balcony cabins (including Concierge and Aqua) are nearly as roomy inside with some decent balcony furniture, let me know.

2. The lack of anything remotely resembling a wrap-around Promenade deck, at least on their "S" class ships, while not an absolute deal-killer, is a definite downside, at least for us.

3. Having only two banks of elevators (forward and mid-ship) on ships of that size is a major design flaw IMHO.

4. The interior design of the public spaces on "X" is far more modern. Whether this is a plus or minus obviously depends on individual tastes.

All I am trying to point out is that for at least some of us, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I [U]do[/U] understand that a few folks are justifiably upset by the change and especially how HAL is implementing it. I would ask you all to keep in mind that at least in our experience, the vast majority of HAL cruisers are not big drinkers and very few are true oenophiles.

HAL may well lose a relatively few cruisers due to the change and I suspect that they already know that and accept it in return for trying to increase revenue.

I originally came to CC as a refugee from the old AOL boards and if memory serves correctly (an admittedly shaky proposition), I cannot remember this even being an issue back then. I'm quite sure that on our first cruise (Ryndam 1998), it never occurred to any of us that the cruise line might be OK with passengers bringing their own booze aboard.[/QUOTE]

Did u read my post? U absolutely did not read it. The first line? You should really read it.
Shakes head.

Hurry up, you still have time to delete it. Edited by surfergirle

You are not silly in the least kazu. We've held numerous sailaways in our suite with special wines from our cellar to share with friends and loved ones. Its one of the things that made HAL special in my eyes. As someone said, one more nail in the coffin.

[quote name='lorekauf']I've pulled up holland America and looked at the right and I see nothing but happy posts. Clearly I'm very challenged.[/QUOTE]

right hand side - click recent posts by others on Holland America Line and then click see all posts - and I don't think you will see happy campers:rolleyes:

[quote name='kazu']right hand side - click recent posts by others on Holland America Line and then click see all posts - and I don't think you will see happy campers:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Ok will try.

I just see writ post and photo (i pad)

I can not see the wall, hummm Edited by surfergirle

[quote name='Capt. & Teach']Be careful if you are going to pre-order. I called HAL about Irish Mist and they said they did not carry it, but could get it for me. I said, great.
They had it in the cabin when we boarded. The bill came at the end of the cruise and they charged me what it would cost at the bar for each drink. The cost for a $30 Bottle of Irish Mist was $107.00. I might as well complained to a tree for all the good it did. :mad:[/QUOTE]

Why didn't they give you a price, or at least tell you it would be marked up approx. 3.5 times?

[quote name='kazu']right hand side - click recent posts by others on Holland America Line and then click see all posts - and I don't think you will see happy campers:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Ok, I found it now. Had to dig a bit. Frankly when people complain about everything ( not just the wine policy) it gets a bit overwhelming to read. I think some folks do expect to much from a mainstream cruise line. Again, I am not referring to the wine policy change but when they pull everything else into it they are not doing themselves any favours.

[quote name='lorekauf']Ok, I found it now. Had to dig a bit. Frankly when people complain about everything ( not just the wine policy) it gets a bit overwhelming to read. I think some folks do expect to much from a mainstream cruise line. Again, I am not referring to the wine policy change but when they pull everything else into it they are not doing themselves any favours.[/QUOTE]

I gave up. Ugh.
Ill brb im off to slay another dragon. Lol. Edited by surfergirle

[quote name='PirateShark']You are not silly in the least kazu. We've held numerous sailaways in our suite with special wines from our cellar to share with friends and loved ones. Its one of the things that made HAL special in my eyes. As someone said, one more nail in the coffin.[/QUOTE]

thank you:D

[quote name='cruisemom42']

On the other hand, I took a cruise that primarily did the Greek isles and the Adriatic a few months ago. We had beautiful weather and it would be difficult to duplicate the wonder of cruising the Bay of Kotor, for example, or enjoying the seas like glass in between Greek isles that one wouldn't necessarily get to otherwise (Monemvasia, Ithaca), or soaking up the wonderful sail-in to Venice.
.[/QUOTE]

Wow. What cruise line goes to Ithaca Island? I was on an archeological dig there many years ago. The approach (by ferry) was amazing.

Regarding HAL, I can't believe they didn't give any notice to their customers regarding this policy change.. Edited by Jade13

[quote name='surfergirle']Did u read my post? U absolutely did not read it. The first line? You should really read it.
Shakes head.

Hurry up, you still have time to delete it.[/QUOTE]

Sure I read it. Just thought I'd try to expand upon it a bit, as it seemed as though a few folks were touting the benefits of an "X" cruise based upon the wine issue. I did say that I was not trying to start a quarrel.:D

[quote name='jimmy2x']Sure I read it. Just thought I'd try to expand upon it a bit, as it seemed as though a few folks were touting the benefits of an "X" cruise based upon the wine issue. I did say that I was not trying to start a quarrel.:D[/QUOTE]

No you did not read it.
The first sentence says " definitely not better"
It goes on to say the only 4 categories where they excel for us.

What you are saying is that i said x was better, and had you read it, you definitely would not think that.

The standard cabins, the mdr, etc etc is where they fail, miserably might i add. Please do not make it appear as i said more than i did, and if you decide to quote me, please read my post and understand it. Edited by surfergirle

[quote name='kazu']right hand side - click recent posts by others on Holland America Line and then click see all posts - and I don't think you will see happy campers:rolleyes:[/quote]

[B] I went to HAL's Facebook page and didn't see comments about the new Wine Policy. :( I hardly ever go to Facebook and when I usually leave wondering why I wasted my time. :)

[/B]