Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Amazing, we need to come to grips, grieve, and accept that this is the way it will be. HAL is a business and they are there to make money. Change is always scary and uncomfortable.

I hope we can all say thanks for the wide latitude we have been given for a long time. A new day, adjust, budget for a bigger wine tab, and enjoy the cruise. Cheers

You miss the point. It's not the "bigger wine tab" that is being griped about.

I swore I would get off this thread but I can't resist...here's my response...

Hello, I'm your friendly bank - for years I was good to you and only charged you 5 % interest on your mortgage - starting tomorrow I will be charging you 25% interest. So your mortgage payment will now be x times what it was before.

come to grips and grieve and say thank you to our wide latitude over the years. It's a new day - adjust -= budget for a bigger mortgage payment and enjoy your home - cheers!

A slight exaggeration for sure - but no bank is allowed to just do this - I don't think any cruise line should be able to either.

Sorry, I'm not going to say thank you. When I booked I read know before you go - now it's changed with no consideration, no communication and no empathy and no notice.

I feel for those not on cruise critic. I really do.

With all due respect, how can you compare the 2? A starter house in Calgary would easily be $400K. Please explain to me how a drastic jump like that is the same as a change in wine policy because for the life of me I can't understand that.

Omigod, where are you looking? The page is swamped with posts about it. Right hand side, click on "comments by others (or whatever) and the "see all"

Perhaps you should look at it on an ipad because it's not the same...but thx for being so understanding..............

Omigod if you have to hunt for them you are doing something wong:confused: But I get when someone is not familiar with facebook, and with HAL's page in particular. There are way too many comments on there today to count, all about this issue.

Again....an ipad is different. Are so many comments necessary?

Unless Cruise Critic hasn't updated Azamara's Wine Policy it appears to be similar to HAL's.

Azamara's Wine Policy as posted on CC.

"Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers can bring two bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, there is a $10 corkage fee per bottle.

Purchasing liquor in port: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call will be stored by the ship and delivered to passengers' cabins on the last day of the sailing.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from Azamara's onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to passenger cabins on the sailing's last day. "

The policy has changed - I think when they went semi-inclusive. Unless its pretty special, not much point in buying ashore and paying corkage when all alcohol is included on board (except for top-shelf)

CORKAGE POLICY

Azamara Club Cruises® offers a wide selection of international liquors, beer and fine wines onboard. You may bring your own favorite liquor, beer or wine for private consumption in your suite or stateroom. If you wish to consume your liquor, beer or wine in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle is subject to a corkage fee of $10.

If you are given a bottle of wine that was purchased from Azamara's Bon Voyage Gift selection, then no corkage fee will apply. If you are given a bottle of wine from an outside vendor and/or travel professional, and the bottle was not purchased through Azamara's Bon Voyage selection, then a $10 corkage fee will apply if the wine is consumed in the dining room or other public area. All corkage fees will be added to your onboard account.

Alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Alcohol will not be delivered to any guest under the age of 21.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Christine Frances

HAL surely expected a reaction but I wonder if they had any concept how strong a reaction would present. There are some truly upset folks here.

I'm happy we never got in the habit of bringing anything so this is one upset I don't have to get worked up about. :o I do understand the disappointment and even some of the anger but folks...... it's only wine. In the scheme of the world, a little perspective could be helpful.

Don't get me wrong. We like wine just fine and never have a dinner on HAL without a bottle of wine on the table or chilling in an ice bucket. But we manage to find wines from the list we can enjoy. Read it again..... maybe when given careful considertation you might find a few bottles that are to your taste.

Edited by sail7seas

Kind of like the sideboard in the Neptune Lounge aboard Westerdam is *only* cookies and chocolates. :rolleyes:

When it affects YOU, it is a big deal.

So those who enjoy taking aboard wine, or buying local wines in port to enjoy on the ship, are upset -- and rightly so.

Unless Cruise Critic hasn't updated Azamara's Wine Policy it appears to be similar to HAL's.

Azamara's Wine Policy as posted on CC.

"Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers can bring two bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, there is a $10 corkage fee per bottle.

Purchasing liquor in port: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call will be stored by the ship and delivered to passengers' cabins on the last day of the sailing.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from Azamara's onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to passenger cabins on the sailing's last day. "

You get all the wine and beer you want with lunch and dinner on Azamara!

So the 2 bottles for the room are a nice extra1 We loved our Azamara cruise! since we really enjoy wine especially with dinner it was great not to have to think about the "extras!"

I have no problem with HAL changing the liquor policy, what I have a problem with is the way it was done.

I understand that a corporation has a responsibility to earn money for it's shareholders and if this change in policy does this then so be it.

I have a right, as a consumer, to receive what I have purchased. We are sailing in 18 days. I purchased a cruise from HAL in January and paid in full in May. At that time i was fully aware of the product i had purchased. I would think that an ethical company would provide the goods and services agreed upon in the contract.

If I were to be booking a cruise today I would be fully aware of the liquor policy and could make an informed decision as to whether or not this cruise line is for me.

Would this policy impact my decision? Probably not. I just do not like the feeling that this company can change the product willy nilly with no regard to those who had purchased and paid.

If I buy a chocolate glazed donut with sprinkles, I would be unhappy if I received it without the sprinkles. :-)

HAL surely expected a reaction but I wonder if they had any concept how strong a reaction would present. There are some truly upset folks here.

I'm happy we never got in the habit of bringing anything so this is one upset I don't have to get worked up about. :o I do understand the disappointment and even some of the anger but folks...... it's only wine. In the scheme of the world, a little perspective could be helpful.

Don't get me wrong. We like wine just fine and never have a dinner on HAL without a bottle of wine on the table or chilling in an ice bucket. But we manage to find wines from the list we can enjoy. Read it again..... maybe when given careful considertation you might find a few bottles that are to your taste.

I have to agree with you. I wonder if people that lost their houses in Calgary's flood last month would like to change places with some folks on here.

Kind of like the sideboard in the Neptune Lounge aboard Westerdam is *only* cookies and chocolates. :rolleyes:

When it affects YOU, it is a big deal.

So those who enjoy taking aboard wine, or buying local wines in port to enjoy on the ship, are upset -- and rightly so.

And I clearly stated I understand the disappointment and anger over the policy change.

I do not see a connection between that issue and Westerdam's failure to provide what all other ships in the fleet do provide and that has been paid for by the guests. People by those amenities.

I think it a stretch to say one paid for the right to bring their own wine aboard but I get the anger at the lack of notice and the way we all found out about this new policy. I think HAL should have set a future date when the new policy would take effect. To chop off a feature many considered important for their cruise enjoyment so quickly with no notice was not the way to do it, IMO

Edited by sail7seas

I have to agree with you. I wonder if people that lost their houses in Calgary's flood last month would like to change places with some folks on here.

I expect my son, waiting for a new heart, would like to change places too. You simply cannot compare the two issues.

The sign was up on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise (we got off on Friday). I did not see it and brought on one bottle in Monte Carlo and they did not say anything. I had it in my knapsack which went through the scanner. I noticed the sign the next day.

This just keeps getting worse. So, it is for real...happening right now. I don't think anyone saw your post, as there were no comments. I am so naieve---I believed HAL would faze it in , like Princess. When they put up signs at the embarkation area, they are serious!!

What kind of people in power would put a completely different policy in place with no notice? There are many of us who sail HAL because of their liberal policy. I hope HAL loses a TON of business over this. I love Prinsendam, but it will be cheaper for me to sail in a balcony on Regent. HAL even has the nerve to jack up the price of the cabin to qualify for their new drink package. Our cabin would be $700 more pp. I don't think we could drink $350 worth during 16 days! The only reason we won't cancel 2014 is because no other cruiseline goes to Meteora in Greece. We'd have to do a land tour. Oh well, Prinsendam is getting old. Friends on the current sailing were disappointed in her condition--and they have sailed her before.

This just keeps getting worse. So, it is for real...happening right now. I don't think anyone saw your post, as there were no comments. I am so naieve---I believed HAL would faze it in , like Princess. When they put up signs at the embarkation area, they are serious!!

What kind of people in power would put a completely different policy in place with no notice? There are many of us who sail HAL because of their liberal policy. I hope HAL loses a TON of business over this. I love Prinsendam, but it will be cheaper for me to sail in a balcony on Regent. HAL even has the nerve to jack up the price of the cabin to qualify for their new drink package. Our cabin would be $700 more pp. I don't think we could drink $350 worth during 16 days! The only reason we won't cancel 2014 is because no other cruiseline goes to Meteora in Greece. We'd have to do a land tour. Oh well, Prinsendam is getting old. Friends on the current sailing were disappointed in her condition--and they have sailed her before.

I agree. If HAL had phased it in then maybe people would not have been fazed about it.

You're still missing the point. It's not the wine, it's the arbitrary and arrogant way HAL has dealt with this. Reading many posts, I think others, like me, would happily board without wine. HAL is in the process of damaging their brand - a complete no-no in the business world.

200 posts a day "Just slap a luggage tag on all the cases you want"

We always bring a glass of wine from our cabin to the dining room,pool, crows nest etc.

We ask the bartender for the bar glasses so we can walk around the ship acting like we purchased the wine.

Yes they finally read enough and made their decision.

If HAL pays that much attention to CC boards they would also know that a very small fraction of their passengers actually post here. ;)

You're still missing the point. It's not the wine, it's the arbitrary and arrogant way HAL has dealt with this. Reading many posts, I think others, like me, would happily board without wine. HAL is in the process of damaging their brand - a complete no-no in the business world.

Exactly. To slap up signs in port...without notice...is outrageous. What happens to the wine people show up with at embarkation? And to all of those not reading these boards, it's going to take a while for the info to get out there. Very cheesy way of handling this, IMHO.

Could they not send an email blast now to the booked guests that the policy would change 1/1/14?

I'll bet the sale of those rum runners will increase! :p

The kind of Sangria a bar makes is wine, vodka and fruit.

Wine sangria, does not have hard liquor in it it is a wine and fruit juice mixture, with lots of sugar, placed over ice w added fruit.

The one with vodka is not real sangria.

There are so many variations on sangria; one can even get white sangria :eek:

From Expedia:

Sangria is a wine from Spain, Portugal and Argentina. It normally consists of wine, chopped fruit, a sweetener, a
nd a small amount of added brandy.

Sangria is named after the Portuguese word for "blood" - "sangue"
because of its typical dark-red color

Edited by Boytjie

Started crusing late in life- 5 cruises all on HAL in four years

With new policy there is a good possibility the two days short will just have

to stay. We were a day away from booking 28 days in Australia- we enjoy our wine on the balcony each evening- and it is our wine, not the Holland stuff-

In the past we always sailed Holland as opposed to comparable lines and a significant part of the decision was the policy on wine.

Some of us love cruising but still have a budget- so less spa days, less tipping, less Pinnacle- and probably less cruising (especially on HAL

Truly a sad Day

Let's be clear here..... for me, it IS partly about the wine ;) and partly about no choice to pay a corkage fee for additional bottles.

We all have things that are important to us, so please don't patronize us by telling us "it's only wine".

We seldom eat dinner out, except on vacations, and for various reasons we don't eat big dinners at home. If we do go out to dinner, I never order a bottle of wine, and I don't even drink a glass of wine, because I have to drive home. No preaching intended here, that's just me. Therefore, I enjoy dining and having a nice bottle of wine with dinner while I am on vacation, that is one of my pleasures in life.

Having said that, that still does not make me blind to the fact that most of HAL wines have a markup that is above my tolerance level. I also don't buy a $5.00 bottle of water in a hotel that I can buy at the grocery store for $1.25. Does that make me cheap, whatever. Most likely your pockets are deeper than mine.

I would be quite happy to be able to bring my own wine onboard (in excess of the current allowance) and pay a corkage fee on those bottles. That is within my tolerance level. If HAL doesn't change their policy, I will most likely not sail on HAL again. I don't worship HAL or any other cruise line for that matter.

After all, it's only HAL, in the scheme of the world, I can find another cruise line.

Edited by Not-My-Real-Name

We all have things that are important to us, so please don't patronize us by telling us "it's only wine".

We seldom eat dinner out, except on vacations, and for various reasons we don't eat big dinners at home. If we do go out to dinner, I never order a bottle of wine, and I don't even drink a glass of wine, because I have to drive home. No preaching intended here, that's just me. Therefore, I enjoy dining and having a nice bottle of wine with dinner while I am on vacation, that is one of my pleasures in life.

Having said that, that still does not make me blind to the fact that most of HAL wines have a markup that is above my tolerance level. I also don't buy a $5.00 bottle of water in a hotel that I can buy at the grocery store for $1.25. Does that make me cheap, whatever. Most likely your pockets are deeper than mine.

I would be quite happy to be able to bring my own wine onboard (in excess of the current allowance) and pay a corkage fee on those bottles. That is within my tolerance level. If HAL doesn't change their policy, I will most likely not sail on HAL again. I don't worship HAL or any other cruise line for that matter.

After all, it's only HAL, in the scheme of things, I can find another cruise line.

2 thumbs up. Great post.

We don't all have the same likes, dislikes, or priorities. Seriously, if you really love lamb, and HAL takes it off the menu, would it be fair to say, "it's only lamb, eat something else"? For people who love lamb, I doubt they would appreciate that sentiment.

Very intersting posts...

Good for some of you - you find wine you like and you just can't understand all the posters up in arms over the wine policy change. You just refuse to consider all the comments that have already been posted about Hal's wine selection; pricing; enjoying ports from other ports, etc.

How about you go to the dining room and are not taken to the specific railside table for 2 that you always must have or will not cruise? Surely with careful consideration you might find a few tables that are acceptable.

When something affects you personally, it's a totally different ballgame.

What's next on the list of Hal changes? How about forbidding private tour vehicles from being by the dock? Hal offers tours in every port and by someone booking private tours, they are depriving Hal of revenue.

Surely with the fees Hal pays to dock, they can negotiate this into their port agreements. Think of all the money Hal can get from forcing people who want to tour, to use Hal tours. After all, it's offered by Hal so there is no need to use a private tour. Want a private tour? Walk a great distance in the hope of finding your tour guide on some side street.

Hey, what about limiting the amount of food you can have at the buffet? It can be done for the benefit of your health. Oh, not to mention less food bought means less expense for Hal. On that subject, why not just have food offered 3 times a day - how many eating options does a person need anyway?? Just think of the savings there!

Take it another step - forbid cameras on board the ship. There are ship photographers and you taking pictures on board with your camera are denying Hal a source of revenue. Bring a camera with you? Okay, but hand it in at the dock and you can retrieve it at the dock when going into each port. Wow - the ship photographers will really be busy and also enriching Hal's bottom line.

And finally, I just have to vent (like I haven't already!) - where are all these people bringing on cases of wine? I only saw it once - on a 30 night sailing. Big deal - 12 bottles for 30 nights - WOW. What does it matter how much wine someone brought on? Hal did not limit the amount brought on. It was allowed. Why is that any of your business? Do you really believe that is the cause for this wine policy change??? Charge what you must to be a profitable company, but to depend on people buying wine to keep you afloat??? ;) How pathetic. Maybe the next step will be when booking a cruise, a stipulation that you are required to spend x amount at the bars. That will really help ensure Hal's profitability.

I rarely post but when I do, it's always been for information, but this new policy is a slap in the face to Hal customers.

Now that I'm done exploding after reading all 694 posts, I feel better. :eek: