Bauer II Palazzo in Venice

dougburns

This is a shot in the dark, since I probably won't get any replies, but I'm going to give it a try. Has anyone out there done the pre-cruise Silversea package in Venice at the Bauer II Palazzo prior to a cruise from Civitavecchia. I know it's outrageously expensive and could be done less expensively doing it ourselves. What I'm interested in knowing is what was the satisfaction with the hotel and what kind of a room was actually provided. The SS website really doesn't give a lot of info. It just says a partial view room on the side of the hotel. Currently, we're booked for 2 nights at the Rome Cavelierri and are using Rome Cabs for transport. Would like to see a bit of Venice and the scenery from Venice-Rome on the train, since we've done Rome extensively. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Aside from the cost any room usually booked through the cruise lines will not be the best rooms a hotel has to offer. A partial view room on the side of the hotel probably comes with a periscope. or should. Actually, Bauer Il Palazzo has some of the most reasonable direct Grand Canal view rooms in Venice, somewhere below 800 euros, which is probably what SS charges for their room.

Hi. Some years ago my husband and I stayed at this hotel, and absolutely loved it. We did not book through Silversea. We had a double room directly on the Grand Canal with a terrace overlooking the Canal where we had breakfast, sat with a glass of wine in the afternoon, etc. It was fabulous. The place is beautiful and the service outstanding. A water taxi takes you right to an entrance. I'm not sure why you wouldn't book directly with the hotel -- the price will be better, and you can choose what room you want.

Aside from the cost any room usually booked through the cruise lines will not be the best rooms a hotel has to offer. A partial view room on the side of the hotel probably comes with a periscope. or should. Actually, Bauer Il Palazzo has some of the most reasonable direct Grand Canal view rooms in Venice, somewhere below 800 euros, which is probably what SS charges for their room.

Doug, sadly the cruise line books a contract/group rate and therefore typically ends up with the least expensive rooms possible. We have not stayed at this hotel but know the location and remember the alley or side canal you may face. It could be a dark room. Not the caliber of room to which you are accustomed...did you check tripadvisor.com for reviews and photos?

I will email you in the next few days. Hope all is well.

to see if its a place you'd like. I think you need reservations because it is so tiny. We ate there again last summer when we arrived in venice on the Spirit. it was a sunday so the food was fish, and plenty of it and some of it i could not identify. There is no menu. The plates kept coming out of the kitchen.

My law partner went there several weeks ago only to find it closed for renovations.

If it happens not to be open or you want to consider an alternative, check out Al Covo. Wonderful little place run by a husband and wife team. She handles front of house and desserts, while he handles the kitchen. Very warm, friendly service (husband is Venetian, wife is originally from Texas) and excellent food. We're going back again in a couple of weeks and look forward to dining there again.

Archived