A Plea To Celebrity: Don't Dump Century

curtdesilets

With the way the Feb 14, 2014 cruise sold out Celebrity should realize there is a need for the Century to keep sailing the caribbean. I am really looking forward to the ports we will be visiting.

In the past few years I have tried Oceania and Azamara but will always prefer Celebrity. There is nothing like the Cast of Characters on a Celebrity cruise. I was quite bored on Azamara. Not a very lively group.:D

With the way the Feb 15, 2014 cruise sold out Celebrity should realize there is a need for the Century to keep sailing the caribbean. I am really looking forward to the ports we will be visiting.

In the past few years I have tried Oceania and Azamara but will always prefer Celebrity. There is nothing like the Cast of Characters on a Celebrity cruise. I was quite bored on Azamara. Not a very lively group.:D

I have never, and I'm pretty sure Celebrity has never experienced, a sailing that sold out in under two weeks.

Charters might go like this but not Century/new itinerary starved cruisers.

I have never, and I'm pretty sure Celebrity has never experienced, a sailing that sold out in under two weeks.

Charters might go like this but not Century/new itinerary starved cruisers.

Although the new ports could have been a factor, I think the main reason it sold out so quickly was that it was offered at almost fire-sale pricing. Inside cabins for captain's club members started around $429/pp. For an 8 day cruise that is better than most Tuesday special rates.

I expect that Celebrity expected much softer demand and priced it a little too aggressively.

There is already a waitlist for some categories on my August 2014 cruise.

When I was onboard 4 weeks ago the CD did say that rumour had it that the Century was to be based in Aussie/Far East from 2015. That however was before the change from the deep refit to a touch up.

When I was onboard 4 weeks ago the CD did say that rumour had it that the Century was to be based in Aussie/Far East from 2015. That however was before the change from the deep refit to a touch up.

I like the sound of that plan....

Although the new ports could have been a factor, I think the main reason it sold out so quickly was that it was offered at almost fire-sale pricing. Inside cabins for captain's club members started around $429/pp. For an 8 day cruise that is better than most Tuesday special rates.

I expect that Celebrity expected much softer demand and priced it a little too aggressively.

True that X started off with some great deals, on this one -- and then, toss in that unique itinerary (the only one with St. Barts), and you've automatically got a lot of interest. :cool:

But, I think that there was also a subtle demographic factor at work. About a year ago, a thread started here about all of the CC folks we've always wanted to cruise with. That evolved into a discussion about a possible CC "members' cruise". Sadly, that never really worked out. So, when many of the same people saw these cruises pop up on the X website -- well, it quickly turned into sort of a "defacto members' cruise". :D

save your time and don't ask for Century to be fkpt. several years ago there were hundreds (could have been thousands) posts BEGGING X not to get rid of Zenith. Where is Zenih now? With Pa;mantur, a Spanish subsiderary of RCL.

They just don't care when it means a more cost effecctive, make that profit prokducing sip is better. So they mass produce thes4 monster ships and forget that we love saiing smaller ships.

I love X but this is a lost cause. They will get rid of her sooner or later. Probable sooner. :( :( :(

The CENTURY was the last Celebrity ship designed and built when Chandris owned the company.

As such, she boasts a multi million dollar "real art" collection (as opposed to the fake art which followed on the newer ships) which was donated by the Chandris family from their personal collection. Interestingly, there used to be two lifesize sculptures of a man and a woman opposite the port and starboard entrances to the main show lounge. One of those mysteriously disappeared one year when she was in drydock. .

What fake art is on the Celebrity ships? We were on Eclipse when someone gave a talk about the multi-million dollar art collection.

That ''rumoured'' ultimate destination might very well be the ''real'' one., with the '' transferee '' coughing up the funds necessary to overhaul ,rejuvenate, refurbish, etcetc Century to fit its own marketing and operating philosophies ; those costs are added to the initial ''transfer'' ( or ''sale '') costs and can be capitalized over the newly structured life span of the acquired ship.

Obviously, == X == is, at this time, stricty spending enough $$$ to keep Century going for the next 14-16 months or so, until ultimate disposition ( transfer or sale) is a reality.

I'm sure those plans are already activated, and this is behind the change of direction ( #2 in 2 years....).

Cheers

That ''rumoured'' ultimate destination might very well be the ''real'' one., with the '' transferee '' coughing up the funds necessary to overhaul ,rejuvenate, refurbish, etcetc Century to fit its own marketing and operating philosophies ; those costs are added to the initial ''transfer'' ( or ''sale '') costs and can be capitalized over the newly structured life span of the acquired ship.

Obviously, == X == is, at this time, stricty spending enough $$$ to keep Century going for the next 14-16 months or so, until ultimate disposition ( transfer or sale) is a reality.

I'm sure those plans are already activated, and this is behind the change of direction ( #2 in 2 years....).

Cheers

I fear you have it exactly right except maybe for the time frame. I hope she is around that long.

:oCentury was our first cruise on Celebrity -we had a 9 day cruise in Nov. just before they cut her in half and added to her size. We were so afraid they would change her personality, but they did not. We love this ship and could not wait to sign up for the 15 Feb cruise. We, like many, had been looking for some new ports and another chance to travel on this wonderful ship.

:oCentury was our first cruise on Celebrity -we had a 9 day cruise in Nov. just before they cut her in half and added to her size. We were so afraid they would change her personality, but they did not. We love this ship and could not wait to sign up for the 15 Feb cruise. We, like many, had been looking for some new ports and another chance to travel on this wonderful ship.

They never cut the Century in half and added to her.

Back in 2006 they did add 3 decks of balcony cabins, Murano and other things.

I think Royal and HAL have cut ships in half and added new sections, but not Celebrity.

They never cut the Century in half and added to her.

Back in 2006 they did add 3 decks of balcony cabins, Murano and other things.

I think Royal and HAL have cut ships in half and added new sections, but not Celebrity.

Tom, didn't they also remove the T-pool, to make room for the AquaSpa Cafe? (I think one of the crew members told me that, when we were on Century last year.)

Suzanne, I'm not Tom as you know, but the answer to your question is yes. We have been on the Century both before and after this major renovation. At first I was upset they were going to remove the t-pool, but we really enjoy the Aqua Spa cafe. The location of t-pool versus Aqua Spa cafe differed although close in proximity.

We are happy to have the opportunity to be on the Century once again in February. We were on both the Galaxy's and Mercury's final sailings and have been on the Century-class ships 20-some times between the three.

Please add my dh and me to the plea list not to sell or transfer the Century. If RCCL does, we hope the transfer is to Azamara. Our best cruises have been on these three ships along with the Azamara Quest, and these smaller ships have definitely been our favorites, including over the Millennium and Solstice-class ships and ships on other lines.

Kathy

If, in fact, Celebrity does choose to sell the Century (I hope they don't!).....but if they do, that will leave them with 9 ships to cover South America, Australia/New Zealand, Caribbean, Asia, Europe, Bermuda, Canada/New England, Hawaii/South Pacific, Panama Canal and Alaska.

That would be spreading themselves pretty thin! I have not seen any announcements about "new builds" so maybe they are just planning on eliminating some itineraries?

They could probably eliminate a ship from going over to Europe every year, as that market seems saturated. Just based on the number of European cruises that hit the "Exciting Deals" board every week, seems they are begging for customers! (I'm sure the cost of air fare has something to do with that.)

What Celebrity REALLY needs are new itineraries!!!!!!!!! The race to book the recently announced Century cruises proved that beyond a doubt. :D

What Celebrity REALLY needs are new itineraries!!!!!!!!! The race to book the recently announced Century cruises proved that beyond a doubt. :D

You're right. The Celebrity would be perfect for a new set of itineraries. As one example, Micronesia is a vast area of the Pacific virtually ignored by most cruise lines. One route might be an extension of the Century's current Hawaii loops by adding a segment westbound out to Micronesia and Guam and then returning to Hawaii through a different set of islands further to the south. The area is rich in World War II history and literally has thousands of islands hardly ever visited by tourists.

Edited by djc4410

I think that the target customer is the deciding factor as to whether the Century can be profitable for a cruise company. North American cruise passengers seem to want newer and larger ships, whereas customers in other markets may prefer (or at least be satisfied with) older, smaller ships. Also, Celebrity will face not only the costs of a major refurbishment but increased maintenance costs (I assume) as a ship gets older. Also the image of the cruise line is a factor.

The 2015-effective engine emission standards (super low sulphur) introduces significant additional operating cost plus fuel system modifications. Having the ship operate (new foreign owners?) away from the USA emission control zone potentially could bypass those costs.

There is already a waitlist for some categories on my August 2014 cruise.

Would be wonderful if that rumour is true. There is a niche market just waiting for a medium size cruise ship based in Aust all year, which cruises via the Great Barrier Reef, Thursday Island and Darwin to SEAsia, with lots of new port possibilities, such as PNG, Solomon Islands, etc.

I love the idea of Celebrity keeping Century, and using her for the more exotic itineraries. For one thing, she can slip through the Panama Canal with ease, so she can get from one part of the globe to another quickly. And, if anyone doubts that people will actually book an older X ship with the right itinerary, check out Century's Feb. 15, 2014 Caribbean sailing -- the one that goes to St. Barts. Well, you really can't find it on X's website anymore, because it completely sold out in under three weeks! :cool: