Has anyone NOT gotten a cabin assignment on a GUAR?

shrimp56

I'm one of those oddballs that likes GUAR. It adds a bit of mystery and anticipation. BUT, have you ever heard of HAL overselling and then bumping you involuntarily?

The reason I'm asking is our cruise leaves from Amsterdam so our plans include flying there from Chicago. All our travel arrangements were made independent of HAL and we have insurance that would cover that, but we also have pre and post cruise plans that involve other people.

I have never heard of anyone being bumped involuntarily from a cruise. We have read that cabin assignment was not made until guest arrived at the dock. We have also read of HAL making offers for people to give up their cabin voluntarily and sail a different week. If they have oversold, which does happen, they keep making offers bigger and better until they get people to agree. :) Do not worry. You will have a cabin if you want it.

The only involuntary bumps I've ever heard of were when the ship was chartered out after they've taken some bookings, or needed emergency repairs. In that case, you'd be out of luck for all your independent arrangements.

Since it's only 11 days away and sold out I doubt the charter route, but it is reassuring to know I don't have to budge if I don't want to. Our insurance would cover the air and train costs in any case and the air tickets are recyclable minus fees. It was mostly its being a cruise that involved an international flight that had me thinking.

Now if you would just help the cabin assignment fairy assign a nice one, we're golden :)

We have read here where there have been some cruises that were over sold. HAL will call people and entice them to move to another sailing date -- also give them either a little higher category or shipboard credit.

That has happened a few times on the Maasdam's Canada/New England cruises. And it happened on a couple of our Veendam sailings out of Tampa.

Interline we're not LOL We're just lowly 2 stars.

"Interline" is for travel agents and others in the travel business who get lower fares, sort of like "stand-by". They can get bumped (cancelled).

If the ship oversells, HAL starts buying pax off, onto other itineraries or different dates. We has a very, good deal once this way!

"Interline" is for travel agents and others in the travel business who get lower fares, sort of like "stand-by". They can get bumped (cancelled).

If the ship oversells, HAL starts buying pax off, onto other itineraries or different dates. We has a very, good deal once this way!

Years ago, HAL wanted our Suite back and we said No, thank you a few times but then the offer got too good to refuse. We never regretted that decision. ;)

We are no longer homeless.

Upgraded from a VT to a VQ, so full balcony and starboard so we're under the explorations cafe not the Crow's Nest. Question--can you pull the plug on that water feature in the room?

We are no longer homeless.

Upgraded from a VT to a VQ, so full balcony and starboard so we're under the explorations cafe not the Crow's Nest. Question--can you pull the plug on that water feature in the room?

Congrats. Yes, you can pull the plug. I never had mine plugged in. Those VT's are sucky so glad you got a VQ. You will also get a few free vitamin water and other bottled water. I got a couple of fancy Voss water bottles, one that I dragged back to Calgary to use at work.

Congrats. Yes, you can pull the plug. I never had mine plugged in. Those VT's are sucky so glad you got a VQ. You will also get a few free vitamin water and other bottled water. I got a couple of fancy Voss water bottles, one that I dragged back to Calgary to use at work.

Thanks lorekauf :) We started with a VF guarantee, but upped it to a VT with fingers crossed that we'd at least get a VE. Our travel agent says this is an big upgrade price-wise and we got this cruise during a big flash sale so all is good. Now I just have to talk DH into the hydro-pool LOL I will do some spa stuff so it is a great location. It's also one floor up from the Lido Restaurant which makes breakfast easier.

Thanks lorekauf :) We started with a VF guarantee, but upped it to a VT with fingers crossed that we'd at least get a VE. Our travel agent says this is an big upgrade price-wise and we got this cruise during a big flash sale so all is good. Now I just have to talk DH into the hydro-pool LOL I will do some spa stuff so it is a great location. It's also one floor up from the Lido Restaurant which makes breakfast easier.

That always kills me thar VTs are upgrades from a VF. Yes, the VQs are good upgrades. It was nice to get to the cabanas too from there. I hope you have a wonderful time. See, I did send the upgrade fairy to you;).

That always kills me thar VTs are upgrades from a VF. Yes, the VQs are good upgrades. It was nice to get to the cabanas too from there. I hope you have a wonderful time. See, I did send the upgrade fairy to you;).

And we thank you from the bottom of our cruising hearts:)

Our travel agent says this is an big upgrade price-wise ...
Yes it is, according to HAL's pricing, but personally I'd much rather have a deck 8 "plain V" with almost twice as much balcony - 7 ft vs 4 in the VQ. Still, the VQ is far better than the VT.

Yes it is, according to HAL's pricing, but personally I'd much rather have a deck 8 "plain V" with almost twice as much balcony - 7 ft vs 4 in the VQ. Still, the VQ is far better than the VT.

Oh I agree. I learned my lesson LOL On the next cruise we've taken a VD GUAR.

Oh I agree. I learned my lesson LOL On the next cruise we've taken a VD GUAR.

To be honest, I didn't notice that the balcony was smaller (and I don't required proof). I think you'll find it's fine. I have a friend that was just on the Breakaway and their knees touched the balcony when they sat down:eek:. That's small!

On the next cruise we've taken a VD GUAR.
But on the N.A. you could still be "upgraded" from there to a VQ, which I would not like.

With the new screwy re-designation of cabins on all ships we won't be doing any more guarantees anyway! Just too much unpredictability for me. You could book a VD guarantee and be stuck on deck 5 in what is now a VE or VF, again with just the smallest balcony short of VT. ;)

But on the N.A. you could still be "upgraded" from there to a VQ, which I would not like.

With the new screwy re-designation of cabins on all ships we won't be doing any more guarantees anyway! Just too much unpredictability for me. You could book a VD guarantee and be stuck on deck 5 in what is now a VE or VF, again with just the smallest balcony short of VT. ;)

Granted. But as long as the plumbing works and I have a window I am happy:) The balcony is gravy.

Archived