If revenue is the issue, what wine policy makes sense?

arewethereyet

Lol - I can't even imagine a $3.99 wine, or a white zinfandel.

On my mother's death bed she said "son, don't ever drink a wine like white zinfandel". I took her word as a commanment, but I did wash her mouth out (on her death bed) with soap for calling white zinfandel a wine. ;)

No, really. True story.

Peace, out.

Yes, they should receive benefits for services/items they receive whilst onboard. I have no problem with that, however, I do have a problem with varying what people can bring onboard. That's my point. It's just seems to hint at elitism in my opinion.

HAL don't allow more or less baggage depending upon statetoom choice, for example. Well at least not yet. So why do it with wine? Makes no sense.

I look at this differently. Onboard I think all of the pax are entitled to the exact same services no matter which cabin category they are in. I know the Neptune Suite pax get the Neptune lounge but other than that all pax are served the same food no matter how much you pay for your cabin. The activities are offered to all other than a Neptune Lounge Cocktail Party. We all get to choose from the same shore excursions.

I look at bringing wine onboard as a benefit offered by HAL that is outside of the cruise itself. It is an important facet of the cruise experience for many pax but in fact it is a benefit that is outside the cost of the cruise.

How we look at it is irrelevant. What matters is how HAL looks at it. IMO we need to attempt to come up with a solution that will make HAL and the pax happy. We need to find a middle ground.

If this were my game I would have introduced the new wine policy. At the same time I would have also introduced a new and updated wine selection list with some reasonably priced offerings.

I would mention that we are in the process of expanding our shore excursion offerings. These new shore excursions will offer trips to some of the worlds most renowned wineries at our exotic ports of call. Those attending will be allowed to bring one bottle per pax for onboard consumption. All other wines purchased will be held until the end of the cruise.

Will everyone be thrilled? No....But it is better than what the pax are offered now.

On my mother's death bed she said "son, don't ever drink a wine like white zinfandel". I took her word as a commanment, but I did wash her mouth out (on her death bed) with soap for calling white zinfandel a wine. ;)

No, really. True story.

Peace, out.

too funny - I think we are like minded when it comes to wines:D

Quote from Post #30: "I pay $3.99 for Beringer white zin. at Publix super market . Same thing is $26. on the ship."

Seems like you are making AREWETHEREYET's point.

My point is he is not buying any wine on the ship,along with all those that don't like the selection,so who is buying the wine on the ship?

Not enough people it appears,that's why the policy is changing.

My point is he is not buying any wine on the ship,along with all those that don't like the selection,so who is buying the wine on the ship?

that's a huge general statement you are making - but that seems to be what you like to do.

I've seen plenty of bottles on tables from HAL (including our table).

Just wish they had a better dam selection. I guess that's too much to ask for.

No, really. True story.

Peace, out.

Thanks for the laugh:)

that's a huge general statement you are making - but that seems to be what you like to do.

I've seen plenty of bottles on tables from HAL (including our table).

Just wish they had a better dam selection. I guess that's too much to ask for.

Please just tell me who is purchasing the wine on the ship (who you think might be) I keep reading the selection is bad,it's way overpriced,but yet people who bring their own boast of huge bar tabs? It just does not make sense.

The guy who totes cases does not buy it

The guy who stops at Publix does not buy it

Who buys it?

No idea why the policy is changing except for HAL to increase revenue.

There have been multiple threads totalling hundreds of comments regarding the mark-up on wine. Interestingly enought, some time ago I posted a thread about the mark-up on liquor and was excoriated by many who felt HAL was entitled to a fair profit. Well, HAL buys tax free Absolut for probably $8 a liter from which they sell 26 or so drinks at $7 a pop - how's that for a mark-up?

No idea why the policy is changing except for HAL to increase revenue.

There have been multiple threads totalling hundreds of comments regarding the mark-up on wine. Interestingly enought, some time ago I posted a thread about the mark-up on liquor and was excoriated by many who felt HAL was entitled to a fair profit. Well, HAL buys tax free Absolut for probably $8 a liter from which they sell 26 or so drinks at $7 a pop - how's that for a mark-up?

Increase revenue,and it has slowly turned into a headache. There's now threads on why can't I bring rum,beer,craft beer since the others can bring wine and so on and so on?

Now they increase revenue,have less headaches and are in line with all the other cruise lines operating in their price range. just sounds simpler.

just a thought:o

True to form, you have intentionally twisted what people have posted. You create a strawman time after time. There are no $10 Publix wines that HAL sells for $30. I would do flips to purchase wine at the multiples you quoted (maybe not $80 for a $30). The markup is not nearly so bad as you go up in price. But, the lower priced wines are ridiculously priced. You have a lot of snarky comments, but haven't taken the time to do a little research into pricing among cruise lines. HAL's pricing is out of line. What's so hard to understand?

Sorry pal, you don't know what you are talking about. There are several wines that Hal charges $20 to $40 for that can be purchased for $10 or less at Total Wines or Publix stores in FL.

Even in Ontario where liquor sales are operated by the government ,with substantial taxes included a $12 CAD bottle here sell for $40 US or more on HAL.

Pull up HAL's wine list and compare it to retail on Total Wines' site.

Please just tell me who is purchasing the wine on the ship (who you think might be) I keep reading the selection is bad,it's way overpriced,but yet people who bring their own boast of huge bar tabs? It just does not make sense.

Who buys it?

As I have said in my posts - we buy the wine in the MDR and in the bars - the wine we bring on is for our room and those we may be hosting.

I think you would find a number do buy it in the MDR - sorry to let you down and disappoint you but many do.

Many use the wine they bring on in their cabin. that doesn't mean we haven't brought a nice vintage down once and while and paid a corkage fee - it's happened maybe 3 times in the last two cruises (52 days) on the P'dam.

First of all, it couldn't be had on the ship and when we are in Europe - we don't really want to drink wine that we could get here. So once in a while we break down - especially when the choices are so limited. the same 3 or 4 bottles over 30 days can get a bit tiresome.

It's a double edged sword.

Generalities reign supreme - people who bring wine on don't buy - hogwash.

People upset have a drinking problem - hogwash.

People are too cheap - hogwash. No one minds paying for value. There's the real rub. some people don't want to pay for something that isn't worth it. I get that - it doesn't necessarily mean they are cheap.

Just like the people that don't drink aren't cheap as well:)

Just because some post that they bring their own to the MDR and pay a corkage fee doesn't make it true for everyone that sails.

generalities are risky things and we are all falling prey to them. Let's try not to do that (including myself)

smooth seas:D

too funny - I think we are like minded when it comes to wines:D

Now, this is a true story. Years ago, at the California Grill at Disney World, I ordered a Zinfandel to go with whatever. They mistakenly brought a White Zinfandel to the table. I was like Superman getting away from Kryptonite! Looking back on it, I can laugh. At the time, I was appalled.

I don't mean to disparage those who like it, but I can't even handle the thought of injesting it.

As I have said in my posts - we buy the wine in the MDR and in the bars - the wine we bring on is for our room and those we may be hosting.

I think you would find a number do buy it in the MDR - sorry to let you down and disappoint you but many do.

Many use the wine they bring on in their cabin. that doesn't mean we haven't brought a nice vintage down once and while and paid a corkage fee - it's happened maybe 3 times in the last two cruises (52 days) on the P'dam.

First of all, it couldn't be had on the ship and when we are in Europe - we don't really want to drink wine that we could get here. So once in a while we break down - especially when the choices are so limited. the same 3 or 4 bottles over 30 days can get a bit tiresome.

It's a double edged sword.

Generalities reign supreme - people who bring wine on don't buy - hogwash.

People upset have a drinking problem - hogwash.

People are too cheap - hogwash. No one minds paying for value. There's the real rub. some people don't want to pay for something that isn't worth it. I get that - it doesn't necessarily mean they are cheap.

Just like the people that don't drink aren't cheap as well:)

Just because some post that they bring their own to the MDR and pay a corkage fee doesn't make it true for everyone that sails.

generalities are risky things and we are all falling prey to them. Let's try not to do that (including myself)

smooth seas:D

I don't doubt you for a minute. I just think that for every one of you (who buys some wine from the ship) is a load of people that don't buy wine from the ship. I would be willing to bet the pendulum swung (not in HALS favor) so they are changing the policy.

I have no idea how inventory/stock works on the ship. Everything is computerized now so maybe they keep extensive records of bottles being sold and it's continually going down year after year, cruise after cruise. Red flags popped up and they're making some changes. Something obviously happened for them to change it...right?

Who buys it?

Lots of people but it. I buy it, generally the Navigator package. My wife buys it by the glass in the bars/lounges as do our travel companions and many others. Next time you are in the Ocean Bar at "happy hour' take notice of how many people buy $8. house wines by the glass and take the second (or 4th glass to the MDR.

Many diners drink wine in the MDR and Pinnacle Grill but I see very few who bring their own bottle to the table.

The wine we and friends bring onboard is for consumption in our stateroom. I am not happy with the overall selection of wines that HAL offers and I don't like the mark-ups but. I don't like the mark- ups in restaurants either but it is a fact of life.

Also if anybody thinks HAL is going to upgrade the quality of their listings without maintaining the 300 to 400% mark-up they are dreaming.

I don't doubt you for a minute. I just think that for every one of you (who buys some wine from the ship) is a load of people that don't buy wine from the ship. I would be willing to bet the pendulum swung (not in HALS favor) so they are changing the policy.

I have no idea how inventory/stock works on the ship. Everything is computerized now so maybe they keep extensive records of bottles being sold and it's continually going down year after year, cruise after cruise. Red flags popped up and they're making some changes. Something obviously happened for them to change it...right?

Great point regarding inventory management.

In roughly 20 cruises the only time I've brought my own wine to the MDR was a Princess cruise way back in 1999 when they let me bring on a case in Sydney, AU. In a 16 days cruise I brought Australian wine that I got at Hunter Valley wineries, paid the corkage ($10 at that time) maybe 5-6 times. The rest was consumed in the room. We also bought wine from the ship for many dinners and at the bars daily.

The reasonable policies suggested at the start of the thread would be fine with me. If I'm on a cruise that calls in Rome or Florence or Venice, I would like to be able to bring back at least 1 bottle of the local stuff. And., I'll pay a reasonable corkage fee to do so.

Sorry pal, you don't know what you are talking about. There are several wines that Hal charges $20 to $40 for that can be purchased for $10 or less at Total Wines or Publix stores in FL.

Even in Ontario where liquor sales are operated by the government ,with substantial taxes included a $12 CAD bottle here sell for $40 US or more on HAL.

Pull up HAL's wine list and compare it to retail on Total Wines' site.

Um....I'm not sure you understood my post. Or, maybe you did. My post could be read two ways. I was saying that if you buy a wine for $10 at Publix, you will pay more than $30 on HAL. I don't believe I've seen a $10 Publix wine sold for $30 or less on HAL.

Archived