Change of Itinerary - PNG 16 Nov 2013

Just received an email from our TA advising our itinerary has now been updated to include Rabaul and to facilitate this we will no longer be visiting Townsville. Looking forward to seeing what Rabaul looks like nowadays. :) Not as beautiful as it was, I guess, but nevertheless interesting.

Just received an email from our TA advising our itinerary has now been updated to include Rabaul and to facilitate this we will no longer be visiting Townsville. Looking forward to seeing what Rabaul looks like nowadays. :) Not as beautiful as it was, I guess, but nevertheless interesting.

Rabaul is interesting. We went there on two cruises years ago and each time hired a car. The volcano is interesting and also the WWII tunnels into the hillsides constructed while the Japanese had Rabaul as their major base in the South Pacific. There are still some landing barges and other war-time relics in the tunnels. I hope you and Tony enjoy it. Sure you will.

Actually quite pleased re the change - I particulary wanted to go to Milne Bay because by brother in law served there during the Japanese Invasion. And now, I brother served in Rabaul just after the war helping round up stray Japanese - so all great. But sorry for Townsville - maybe next year!!

Thank you Aus T, I'm sure we will enjoy it. About all I can remember are the 'splodges' of betel nut spit on the ground, lol. That's probably changed.

It looks like the April 2014 to PNG is going to Rabaul instead of Townsville as well.

Elaine.

Yes, it has been changed. My DH says the later cruises in 2014 and on included Rabaul from the start.

Change to Rabaul in New Guinea suits me fine. But just browsing around - it does not offer any exciting tours or facilities. Probably more my type of place but has anyone been there lately and what are their thoughts and experiences?

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for my TA to notify us. They used to be on the ball until change of staff ...

No doubt they will let me know after final payment next week.

Or I shall be asking them if there is anything they need to tell me :p ;)

Still waiting for my TA to notify us. They used to be on the ball until change of staff ...

No doubt they will let me know after final payment next week.

Or I shall be asking them if there is anything they need to tell me :p ;)

We got the information about the change of itinerary, and the visa requirements, after we asked our travel agent about it...

I suspect we have the same travel agent

The visa is more expensive than Indonesia's. :cool: On the CP it says no shore tours available for these ports, but when I asked P&O, they said there would be tours at Rabaul - advised nearer the date.

About the same price as we paid for Vietnamese visa's on Millennium at Christmas.

• 1 month later...
yes you do have to pay and it will billed to your cruise card, also you need to take a pass port size photo with you on your cruise to png

did your TA tell you to take a passport size photo with you on the cruise, when we stopped at PNG in 2009 we didnt have to supply a photo but we got billed off princess for the visa and it didnt matter if you didnt go ashore, everyone had to pay

did your TA tell you to take a passport size photo with you on the cruise, when we stopped at PNG in 2009 we didnt have to supply a photo but we got billed off princess for the visa and it didnt matter if you didnt go ashore, everyone had to pay

Yes, Bob, we were told that we did have to take passport-sized photos but it would be great if they had stopped visas now.

By the way we have organised for a group with Melly in Rabaul, so thanks very much for the heads up. :)

both P&O and our Ta told/ emailed us

Forgot to say, that this law has only just been passed, so yet to find if they will still charge us for the visas. We are yet to find out. :)

Siiiggghhh! I KNOW we will need visas to get into PNG. The question is, if you carefully read the above government decision, whether we still have to pay for them on our cruise now that they have changed the law as 'nil fees for vistors on a visa'. I don't know when it will be (or was) introduced. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Got this below from P&O for our PNG cruise 31 Oct 2013

With not too long to go until your Pacific Dawn PNG cruise, W343, we are writing to you with some important changes to visas for Papua New Guinea.

We had previously advised that visas would be issued on arrival and a visa fee of approximately AU$44 would be charged to your onboard account. This has now changed.

As part of a compliance agreement between P&O Cruises and the Papua New Guinea Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority, electronic visas will be issued to all passengers upon arrival in PNG, providing the attached Incoming Passenger Declaration form is completed and presented at check-in along with a photocopy of each passenger’s passport photo page.

Please note, all passengers must complete the Incoming Passenger Declaration. For children under 18 years of age, a parent/guardian must complete the form.

In addition, the PNG Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority requires all passengers to hold a passport that is valid for a minimum of six (6) months beyond the date of the cruise return.

Please Note, a Quarantine fee of PGK$15.00 (approx AUD$6.00) will be applied to all passengers (12 years and over) onboard account. No other visas fee will be charged.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Pacific Dawn very soon.

Kind regards,

P&O Cruises

Barry

Got this below from P&O for our PNG cruise 31 Oct 2013

With not too long to go until your Pacific Dawn PNG cruise, W343, we are writing to you with some important changes to visas for Papua New Guinea.

We had previously advised that visas would be issued on arrival and a visa fee of approximately AU$44 would be charged to your onboard account. This has now changed.

As part of a compliance agreement between P&O Cruises and the Papua New Guinea Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority, electronic visas will be issued to all passengers upon arrival in PNG, providing the attached Incoming Passenger Declaration form is completed and presented at check-in along with a photocopy of each passenger’s passport photo page.

Please note, all passengers must complete the Incoming Passenger Declaration. For children under 18 years of age, a parent/guardian must complete the form.

In addition, the PNG Immigration and Citizenship Service Authority requires all passengers to hold a passport that is valid for a minimum of six (6) months beyond the date of the cruise return.

Please Note, a Quarantine fee of PGK$15.00 (approx AUD$6.00) will be applied to all passengers (12 years and over) onboard account. No other visas fee will be charged.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard Pacific Dawn very soon.

Kind regards,

P&O Cruises

Barry

Yep, we got that for the 16th November cruise too

Archived