Cunard New Liner Size?

cjknox

Balf, I like it. We would sign up. A real ship not the Silversea/Regent/etc. Tincantieri specials. :eek::D Of course they need to be adults only, no smoking, every night formal. Did I hit them all??:D

Hi Jim,

You inadvertently made an error in your list. Clearly you meant to type "dedicated smoking/cabaret lounge just off the nightclub".

Queen Camilla? Please no.

David.

How on earth can anyone have missed HRH Prince Charles from this list. He is our rightful next king and his wife has proved herself to be a hard working and gracious member on the royal family. Can we please keep to cruising matters and not make oblique references to our own opinions with which other people might not agree.

Can we please keep to cruising matters and not make oblique references to our own opinions with which other people might not agree.
Well, there's a first time for everything I suppose :D .

But you've suggested two rather radical, (and) refreshingly novel ideas here (;)).

All best wishes, happy cruising :) .

... Can we please keep to cruising matters and not make oblique references to our own opinions with which other people might not agree.
Well, there's a first time for everything I suppose :D .

But you've suggested two rather radical ideas here (;)).

All best wishes, happy cruising :) .

Well said, Pepper. Welcome to the ranks of cock-eyed optimists.

Something near the size of the QV/QE, but a real liner, not some Vista class cruise ship.I loved our trip on the QV(how's it going,Jim?), but even the slightest seas really caused a lot of pitch & roll.
Having never sailed on these ships I should bow to those that have but when I do my research it contradicts most things that are wrote on these forums.

The huge number of folks that adore the Queen Mary 2 will always refer to her as a liner, but why?

Yes she is sturdily built but how sturdy and why?

Yes I read it is to make light work of the North Atlantic in winter but how often does she cross the North Atlantic in winter compared to much thinner skinned merchant ships that are on regular runs across this ocean all year around and in all weathers? I would expect the Vista class ship to have more vibrations if they sail head on into heavy seas as they lack the bow design to slice through the oncoming waves but rolling???

Anyone that believes the older generation of ocean liner rolled less than a Vista class ship in a comparable sea is probably deluding themselves. Alarm bells will be sounding off on a Vista class ship if they reach a roll rate that exceeds approximately 25 degrees. This degree of roll on the QE2 was nothing out of the ordinary.

Sadly these huge, wide ships are extremely stable and adding stabilisers is just the icing on the cake. I wonder how often these things are activated and I include those great big floating fun fairs

After sea trials and delivery, the ship had to cross the North Atlantic in November which is well known for bad weather potential. When they saw a storm headed their way they decided to really test the ship since there were no passengers on board and she is designed to handle extreme weather. Normally cruise ships do anything to avoid big storms, but this time they treated the storm like an extended sea trial. The seas did not disappoint and according to Captain Wright, the seas got up to 80 feet high with hurricane force winds and yet the stage and ice-show rehearsals, plus last minute construction work continued without missing a beat. Most of the people on board had no idea how bad the weather was outside. Score this one for the Oasis and her incredible design.

Cunard are my idea of what a cruise company should be but we are all different with differing ideas but are these ships getting too big? The ports they can visit are limited. Relying on tenders to get ashore means the ship is reliant on the weather? Just my thoughts and respect to those that enjoy sailing on this beautiful ship.

Is a liner a ship that is\was used to transport passengers as a means of transportation across an ocean from point 'a' to point 'b' on a regular, scheduled journey?

Is a cruise ship a vessel that takes folks on holiday or voyage where the voyage is the reason for sailing as opposed to being conveyed from 'a' to 'b'?

Congratulations to Cunard for the way this ship is marketed but is her main activity conveying passengers across the Atlantic or is she a cruise ship that occasionally visits New York as part of a cruise? In other words how many crossings to New York are back to back scheduled events, as in the days of the true ocean liners?

My thoughts are a cruise ship should be small enough to not just access the Panama Canal, but also to be able to visit the more out of the way places that smaller ships can access? BUT.... Not too small to be badly effected by adverse weather conditions.

I am not against these huge, colossal ships but to me the Vista class is big enough! (I would just want a better designed bow as in the Queen Catherine)

The huge number of folks that adore the Queen Mary 2 will always refer to her as a liner, but why?

Yes she is sturdily built but how sturdy and why? ...

glojo, Stephen Payne who designed QM2 has explained it best. Here is an earlier version of the lecture he gave on board during the recent 200th crossing. Well worth listening to the whole hour, I think.

How on earth can anyone have missed HRH Prince Charles from this list. He is our rightful next king and his wife has proved herself to be a hard working and gracious member on the royal family. Can we please keep to cruising matters and not make oblique references to our own opinions with which other people might not agree.

Haven't you noticed, this place is awash with opinions about which other people might not agree, including yours above.

David.

Haven't you noticed, this place is awash with opinions about which other people might not agree, including yours above.

David.

Wasn't it you that asked me to stop describing the food in the Britannia Restaurant as wonderful?

Wasn't it you that asked me to stop describing the food in the Britannia Restaurant as wonderful?

Wow, that must be from the archives. Asked you to stop. Would look at it if I could find it.

David.

I agree with turquoise6. Cunard will probably never build another liner. If the build anything it will be another cruise ship like QV and QE.

Hi. wripro Thanks. Although some ship experts & a captain consider s/sQueen Elizabeth

A liner. The ship was refit with steel

And other improvements to sail on the Transatlantic voyage

If Cunard were to build another liner, what size would you ideally want it to be?

QM2 size or QE/QV size? Perhaps smaller? Thank you.

Getting back to the original question: Is there a market for a smaller-than-QM2 true liner? A ship for those of us who relish sea days, a ship that would sail New York, Halifax, Reykjavik, Southampton, the Azores, Bermuda, New York round and round all year long?

Getting back to the original question: Is there a market for a smaller-than-QM2 true liner? A ship for those of us who relish sea days, a ship that would sail New York, Halifax, Reykjavik, Southampton, the Azores, Bermuda, New York round and round all year long?[/quote

NO

Getting back to the original question: Is there a market for a smaller-than-QM2 true liner? A ship for those of us who relish sea days, a ship that would sail New York, Halifax, Reykjavik, Southampton, the Azores, Bermuda, New York round and round all year long?

A smaller ship for transatlantics. No, a smaller ship to visit ports that the present ones bypass, yes.

David.

No time to read all of this thread but how about some dedicated Carribean ships? Where is the Cunard Countess and Princess when you need them? ;)

Hi legion3

They are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Countess

And here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Princess

I don’t believe there are thousands of potential passengers chasing far too few berths in the Caribbean, and cruise lines can charge what they like. Indeed quite the opposite. I think that they are all undercutting other’s fares with heavy discounting to attract business.

However, I expect your information (being in Florida :) ) is far better than mine (being in the UK! :o ).

I don’t see Cunard being allowed to take even small amounts of business away from other Carnival brands in the crowded Caribbean (with the annual exception of the one Christmas/New Year - New York/Caribbean cruise) .

Having said that, I’d book another Caribbean cruise on QM2 in Oct/Nov in a heartbeat, I enjoyed the first so much (not holding my breath…).

Best wishes,

Archived