Cunard New Liner Size?

cjknox

If Cunard were to build another liner, what size would you ideally want it to be?

QM2 size or QE/QV size? Perhaps smaller? Thank you.

What ever size it takes to free QM2 to schedule more two to four week round trip crossings and cruises from New York.

If Cunard were to build another liner, what size would you ideally want it to be? QM2 size or QE/QV size? Perhaps smaller? Thank you.

Hi,

What are your thoughts?

Do you enjoy your voyages on the world's only ocean liner (QM2) or do you prefer travel on cruise ships?

How do you think they compare, liner v cruise ship?

What size would you like to see? Something smaller than QM2/QE/QV (say QE2 size) or larger (Allure of the Seas size)?

I'd love to know your impressions of your time on QM2, and your views/opinions on building another larger/smaller liner.

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks :) .

Hi,

What are your thoughts?

Do you enjoy your voyages on the world's only ocean liner (QM2) or do you prefer travel on cruise ships?

How do you think they compare, liner v cruise ship?

What size would you like to see? Something smaller than QM2/QE/QV (say QE2 size) or larger (Allure of the Seas size)?

I'd love to know your impressions of your time on QM2, and your views/opinions on building another larger/smaller liner.

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks :) .

Seeing as I have never sailed on Cunard I cannot compare ocean liners and cruise ships. However I hope to sail on a Cunard Liner one day but that will not be happening anytime soon. I wanted to get the opinions of people who have been on Cunard before.

Personally though I believe the next Cunard Queen's should be somewhere on the smaller side of the ship size spectrum. Around the 50k-65k range. This way Cunard will have a more diverse fleet size wise with the large QM2, the mid - sized QE & QV, and then the smaller liner's.

Thank you for your attention.:)

If Cunard were to build another liner, what size would you ideally want it to be?

Something near the size of the QV/QE, but a real liner, not some Vista class cruise ship.I loved our trip on the QV(how's it going,Jim?), but even the slightest seas really caused a lot of pitch & roll.

Something near the size of the QV/QE, but a real liner, not some Vista class cruise ship.I loved our trip on the QV(how's it going,Jim?), but even the slightest seas really caused a lot of pitch & roll.

Hi Keith. Doing well in the HOT desert.:eek: Need a cruise! I agree with your comments about QV. Forward cabins pound and shake in the slight headseas we encountered. Hope you & Richard are having a great Summer.:D

Assuming you mean a true ocean liner, and not just another cruise ship, she would have to be about the size of QM2 in order to be viable in that role. If you are interested in the rational behind her design there is a video where designer Stephen Payne describes the development process in detail. (Genesis of a Queen, presented at the Webb Institute.)

A third set of locks is currently under construction for the Panama Canal and the only limitation that QM2 would have once that is completed is draft height. A bridge on the Pacific side limits draft height to 206 ft. and hers is 203 ft. That's much too close even if she hit dead low tide.

Cunard will not build another liner. The QM2 is the liner. The QV and

Queen Elizabeth are cruise ships,not liners(the Queen Elizabeth did have a refit ,and made it more of an ocean liner. I have sailed transatlantic on the

HS Queen Elizabeth and it was a very liner ride.

What you can expect is some changes on the Queen Mary 2

To answer your question, I would like another Queen Mary 2 .

My thoughts....

A near identical copy of QM2

• RMS Queen Catherine - in honour of our (hopefully) next Queen.
  • Deck 7 completely remodelled so Kings Court is less like a Motorway service station. Renamed "King William's Court"
  • Royal Court Theatre remodelled so less seats have views obscured by columns
  • Queen's room would become simply "Diana's" & have some remodelling to remove some of the dead space around the entrances. Possibly also have a private area for crew to get and prepare drinks for guests without having to go to G32.
  • G32 would become "Harry's" and have a double set of soundproofed doors between it and Diana's (ever noticed the noise drifts between the two if you aren't by the dance floor? It's even worse where you stand on the side where the G32 stage is)

And She'd be built in the UK at Harland & Wolff. :D

Queen Mary 2 will be able to do this shortly, in 2015. ;)
Hi, Highlander0108,

See post #10 above.

Best wishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K41CrMVHgK8 :eek:

(I'm hoping that they solve that issue for QM2 somehow (no idea how... :confused: )... most ships become slightly lower in the water, in certain conditions, at speed... so at low tide, if they take a run at it at 30 knots... :eek: )

Hi Keith. Doing well in the HOT desert.:eek: Need a cruise! I agree with your comments about QV. Forward cabins pound and shake in the slight headseas we encountered. Hope you & Richard are having a great Summer.:D

Doing well. It's been a hot July.We did the Vegas area last Jan. as opposed to a Cunard trip. We liked the area a lot.Not hot in the winter. We may do it again, but this time 10-14 days so we really get a chance to visit the desert areas/Grand Canyon/etc/ for more than just a day trip.

Sorry to disagree with the "only liner in the world" brigade, but smaller than QV/QE and higher quality please. Able to get into smaller ports and more exclusive places, without need to tender. Back to the fabled times of silver service dining. Certainly no bigger than the R ships but with a proper Cunard ethos.

I've never understood the attraction of B2B TA cruises. A few hours in New Yoik sandwiched by 7 days at sea either side doesn't float my boat, so to speak. But, two liners working a scedule so you can actually spend some time there - now that would be a jolly good idea.

Think of a new build Caronia that could visit the ports that the present ships avoid. I think there is a market for high class smaller ships like P&O Adonia with top rate service but undercutting Silversea etc.

David.

Balf, I like it. We would sign up. A real ship not the Silversea/Regent/etc. Tincantieri specials. :eek::D Of course they need to be adults only, no smoking, every night formal. Did I hit them all??:D

Yes, please! Enough with the "tin can ferries." A decent hull and power makes a liner.

Balf, I like it. We would sign up. A real ship not the Silversea/Regent/etc. Tincantieri specials. :eek::D Of course they need to be adults only, no smoking, every night formal. Did I hit them all??:D

Count me in too. This would appeal to those of us who started our travels on liners such as the QE2, and who have been terribly disappointed by the lacklustre experience of the Silverseas etc. ships.

Archived