Does attitude make a difference ?

Only bad cruise is one where the ship sinks or totally catches fire. That would be a bad cruise, but an interesting and adventure non the less.

Really! You need to talk to the people on the Costa Concordia or the Carnival Triumph! Unfortunately no one left from the Titantic to tell you about the interesting adventure!

Really! You need to talk to the people on the Costa Concordia or the Carnival Triumph! Unfortunately no one left from the Titantic to tell you about the interesting adventure!

We had a local person in town who was on the ship as a young child. He passed away some years ago.

I had an uncle on the Indianapolis during WWII. That wasn't too pleasent either from what I hear

I think there is a balance needed. I'm a pretty happy person! But my last (non RCI, and not DCL) cruise did NOT meet my expectations. I wasn't throwing a hissy fit or miss negativity. I was just REALLY thirsty after swimming in the salty ocean all day and some water glasses would have been really welcomed. Or maybe a cup of tea? But the MDR waiter snapped and me and hushed me until later. I realize he was way over worked, they all were. In the breakfast at MDR, no one was around, so I filled my own coffee. (I'm not like OMG no coffee!!! but if you are used to cruise standards, you know that they usually don't want you to have to fuss at all in the nice dining rooms, and so this was not the norm, at least not to me.) My souvenir cup blew away (or someone took it) it was just a cheap piece of plastic cup but you could refill it for a dollar or two less, which I just wanted my cool twisty cup back! I asked housekeeping and they asked the waiters. no one saw it, and they wouldn't give me another one that I could refill for to their profit. I never bought another drink again...

I don't know, it wasn't that it was the WORST EVER. I just had the opinion that the service was below what I would expect at a Subway gas station stop half the time, a lot of things were mis managed (like no cups in the buffets) and the staff were fighting.

Again, sometimes the trips just DON'T live up to par. And these are not cheap trips!!! So I think when someone looks forward to something for so long and spends quite a bit of $$ for it (and like us drove 13 hrs each way), then you at least wanted to be treated professionally. Not spoiled (well yes spoiled! but I'll settle for professionally.) and it doesn't mean that nothing ever makes you happy.

I am much less likely to complain about the ship (like the layout, even if I get lost) or the decor, as none of that really matters. I do like getting appetizers I asked for, not wondering what it was that was put down on my plate..cuz it looks odd and i didn't ask for it.... I do like being able to communicate with the wait staff, and sorry, but it is getting harder and harder to speak with them. They don't understand us and I don't understand them (and I LOOOVVVE people from all over the world, fascinated by cultures! I just would like a gluten free menu.... nod and smile what...yes a gluten free menu...ok more smiling...never mind, no I'll skip the bread roll...siighhh....)

So that is my beef with it. Just bring me water, some food options, don't glare at me or make me feel guilty for being on vacation, and maybe replace my cup that costs .50 and I spent $14 to put a frozen drink in... and I promise I'll be happy???

Not everything is about "oh that person is just a natural born complainer!" Some people you never CAN please. But that's not the case with all of us. Some trips/servers deserve the reputation. I think you can generally tell who is a fussy gussy and who is just a bit disappointed... (Those ones are NNEEVVER HAPPY with ANNNYYYTTHINNGGG) Others are like "well I was let down. The islands were really pretty though! The snorkeling was great." Etc

You be the judge when you read the reports. And if you aren't spectacularly pleased with YOUR trip, don't get down on YOURSELF for being disappointed. You have a right to expect a nice trip. And mistakes DO happen, but if someone will provide service to help, that's typically all reasonable people will ask for...

To quote the great Jimmy Buffett (Surprised no one has brought this up):

It's these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes

Nothing remains quite the same

With all of our running and all of our cunning

If we couldnt laugh we would all go insane

:rolleyes: Very True! Feel sure they would rather have been at work!

Seriously, our attitude in how we deal with things when they do happen makes a big difference.

LuLu

~~~~

I totally agree with your comment. The attitude of some passengers on Allure was shocking. I remember sitting at my table at the buffet and a waiter came round with a jug of ice cold water and me and my partner took a glass off the gent. Next table down said yes to a glass and then complained it had ice. She then reported the waiter to his manager. ( What a b**ch )

We've been cruising and traveling with our twin sons since they were little. We discovered cruising when they were 5 years old. They both have the best attitudes about cruises I've ever seen. They're not complainers in general but they never complain about anything on a cruise. We stick them in an inside cabin while we get the balcony and they never make a peep about it. They don't complain about the food or entertainment. They have expressed preferences to certain cruise lines but that didn't mean they complained about the others. Neither of them would ever turn down a cruise on any cruise line.

There have been a few ports in Mexico they didn't enjoy much but they didn't complain. They would be happy if we let them stay on board in Cozumel because we've been so many times. They're getting scuba certified this year so they want to get off the ship there this winter.

They love snow boarding also but cruising is their favorite.

Attitude is everything. I've had health problems for the last several years and one of my sons has such a great attitude. He says "Mom you're going to feel bad at home so you might as well be on a cruise". His excitement gives me such a lift.

This is our first cruise on Royal Caribbean. I'm excited but I've cruised enough to be realistic about expectations. We're going to have a great time. We'll be together on a cruise. They're 16 years old now. We probably won't be taking them on as many vacations once college expenses start.

i have to ask.....which cruise line?

It was a one ship start up cruise line out of Canaveral. They had great expectations. Advertised a low price for a 4 day Bahamas cruise. The ship's name was Mirage I.

I started feeling queasy and left the dining room. I ran for our bathroom and bounced off the walls trying to upchuck neatly. My friend and I had an odd shaped room, two double beds instead of twins. I managed to take a shower still bouncing off the walls. Put on my nightgown and collapsed on my bed on top of the spread, couldn't move. The AC vent was high on the wall facing me, which was good. My friend Beryl came in. She had eaten her dinner and proceeded to lose it. She showered and put on her Mickey Mouse nightshirt, and lay on top of her covers. Then black stuff started coming out of the AC vent. The ship was rolling really badly and I was dying, but I managed to call housekeeping. A man came to the door in a khaki work uniform, carrying a stepladder. He took the cover off the vent, and black greasy stuff flew all over me and my bed. He climbed down, left the ladder and went out the door. He came back with a woman with a vacuum cleaner, she started vacuuming, he scrubbed the inside of the vent with about a dozen white towels. A knock on the door!

It was our steward with a bucket of ice. He put it on the only thing he could reach, the nightstand between us. Another big roll and it hit the floor. We now have man on a ladder making a big mess, a woman vacuuming, and a steward crawling on the floor picking up ice cubes. Another knock. A waiter walks in with a bottle of champagne on ice and two champagne glasses. It's for our trouble with the AC. I am still in my nightgown, covered with soot, Beryl in her Mickey Mouse shirt both of us sick as a dog. All six of us lost it at that point. I never laughed do hard when I felt like dying!

It was a tiny tub, but they tried hard. The next night we won the trivia contest, and somehow our story made the comedy show. The first night was the worst, but hitting the Gulf Stream the first night can be a little rolls even with stabilizers. People like me with motion sickness problems can feel it. I'm a huge fan of Bonine. I don't think anything could have saved me that night.

I still laugh when I picture what a fly on the wall would have seen!

On our first Alaska cruise, we ate breakfast w/ a lady that was a chronic complainer. After making the waiter feel two inches tall, she requested a bran muffin when the tray went around, and they left to get it, but never returned w/ the muffin.

I totally agree with your comment. The attitude of some passengers on Allure was shocking. I remember sitting at my table at the buffet and a waiter came round with a jug of ice cold water and me and my partner took a glass off the gent. Next table down said yes to a glass and then complained it had ice. She then reported the waiter to his manager. ( What a b**ch )

People in other countries don't serve ice. When we were in China, we only got ice at one of their very top hotels. Each night, the hotels would hand us water in a carafe that was safe to drink. We heard a story about a man visiting the US that got water w/ ice in it and thought they were trying to kill him.

I was on one ship in a GS, and there was a couple there in the concierge lounge (since they were diamond cruisers) complaining about everything. They complained about the food, service (right in front of the concierge woman who was doing a great job), the rooms, the lack of chocolates on the pillows, etc. etc.

This went on for two nights, and on the third night hearing this (we would go into the lounge before dinner for some snacks), I finally asked them why they were cruising if they did not like it so much. They responded that they still enjoyed the cruises, and just that it seemed like RCCL had removed a lot of stuff that used to be on the cruise.

But I still could not understand why they complained about everything.

Life is like that famous glass of water...it is either "half full" or "half empty"...just depends on the person looking at the glass...

Pat, Pat, Pat. Were discussing Cruising here.

Life is like that famous glass of Very Cold Mojito...it is either "half full" or "half empty"...just depends on the person looking at the glass...

:D:D:D

Life is like that famous glass of water...it is either "half full" or "half empty"...just depends on the person looking at the glass...

I go one better

Whether the glass of water is "Half Full" or "Half Empty" I top it off with Bourbon , and then who cares either way? *LOL*

I agree with the other postings above about attitude. We have done 40 cruises and the worse one was on NCL (the ship is not with them anymore). After the first day I had a personal talk with myself and managed to enjoy the rest of the trip. It helped being in Bermuda so there were only 2 sea days.

By the way, our first couple of cruises were on RCI (RCCL Song of America was the first) and I kept reminding myself how great cruising can be. My choice is selecting the ship and line that I like or it is my fault, not the cruise line's.

Over the years I have told my wife her selection of the Song of America as our first cruise was the best choice for us. Otherwise the first could have been the last- and what a loss for us that would have been.

My opinion is find what you like and stay with it. The rest is just small stuff.

Happy sailing everyone.

And some people respond with "Where's my glass? That's not my glass. Mine was bigger. And fuller! You! You've got my glass! Thief! Someone call the police! I've been robbed!!"

And some people respond with "Where's my glass? That's not my glass. Mine was bigger. And fuller! You! You've got my glass! Thief! Someone call the police! I've been robbed!!"

Those are the people you wish would break the glass and slit their throats *LOL*

Archived