Food at Horizon Court

vent1020

I found the Dining Rooms, food and service to be nothing to shout about. Unless you've never gone out to dinner, you won't be impressed. I found HC offerings to be a better variety and hot/cold as warranted. We ate once in the Dining Room and then it was over. Plus I enjoy being casual. Dressing up isn't my cup of tea.

• 10 months later...
Just wondering if HC has disposable container to carry food back to the room to be eaten or is it ok to carry a plate to the room?

what about any trays to help?

No containers or take-out boxes. Yes, you can bring a plate back to the cabin. No trays. The plates are pretty large.

Here's a few photos of the buffet plates I've had in the Horizon Court buffet:

I've never seen a menu outside of HC, but I've also never seen such neat plates in any ship's buffet! Or so much empty space on the plates! Your photos do make it look much more appetizing than usual.

Just wondering if HC has disposable container to carry food back to the room to be eaten or is it ok to carry a plate to the room?

what about any trays to help?

thnks

Look on your desk when you first get to your cabin and see if there are cans of soft drinks on a tray. If so, move the cans to the shelf where your TV is and then use the tray to help you carry a plate and glass back from the Horizon Court to your cabin. That's what my hubby does if my daughter and I are sleeping in on sea days. He'll get his made to order omelet from the Horizon, eat that up, and then make up a tray of fruit, pastries, pancakes/waffles, etc. and a glass (I've got to train him better as he uses the small juice glasses for this:rolleyes:) of OJ for us. He does have to hide the tray from the cabin steward until the end of the cruise.

There will usually be a menu somewhere, but I find you need to hunt it down. I take a couple of baggies with me to get some cheese for later. I also get some lemon slices to use in my water in the cabin. I like to get those little boxes of cereal in the morning and save some for emergency rations on long excursions. I will also take along an insulated cup to fill with iced tea to drink later in the cabin. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever sit to eat in the HC (assuming I ever found an empty spot to begin with.) Take out!

I noticed that there is a section on the menu called American Classics that featured meatloaf and other comfort foods. There is always New York steak and salmon on the available anytime menu.

IMHO you would all find the MDR more enjoyable than the buffet. Have all the fun you can!

Look on your desk when you first get to your cabin and see if there are cans of soft drinks on a tray. If so' date=' move the cans to the shelf where your TV is and then use the tray to help you carry a plate and glass back from the Horizon Court to your cabin. That's what my hubby does if my daughter and I are sleeping in on sea days. He'll get his made to order omelet from the Horizon, eat that up, and then make up a tray of fruit, pastries, pancakes/waffles, etc. and a glass (I've got to train him better as he uses the small juice glasses for this:rolleyes:) of OJ for us. He does have to hide the tray from the cabin steward until the end of the cruise.[/quote']

I have seriously thought about buying a cheap one from the Dollar Tree and pace it with my clothes! End of cruise..it can be trashed.

I have seriously thought about buying a cheap one from the Dollar Tree and pace it with my clothes! End of cruise..it can be trashed.

I heard, a few years ago that trays have been confiscated on entering H.C., regardless if who owns said tray.

john

I've never seen a menu outside of HC, but I've also never seen such neat plates in any ship's buffet! Or so much empty space on the plates! Your photos do make it look much more appetizing than usual.
I've always done that at buffets. (And I used to live in Nevada, so I went to a lot of buffets!) I like to get a sampling of what looks appealing. Then I go back for seconds of what I liked the best. I never did understand people that pile the buffet plate a mile high.

I heard, a few years ago that trays have been confiscated on entering H.C., regardless if who owns said tray.

john

My hubby has been doing this for some cruises now. And our last three cruises each had about 9 or 10 sea days. The only problem was if he left the tray in plain sight, the steward might take it away, unless hubby managed to convince him to leave it there. So we would take the plates and glasses off the tray and put on the little table to be taken away, and hide the tray in the closet.

The other time a crew member in the Horizon would do anything is to point to the sanitizer if someone tried to enter the serving area without cleaning their hands.

Look on your desk when you first get to your cabin and see if there are cans of soft drinks on a tray. If so' date=' move the cans to the shelf where your TV is and then use the tray to help you carry a plate and glass back from the Horizon Court to your cabin. That's what my hubby does if my daughter and I are sleeping in on sea days. He'll get his made to order omelet from the Horizon, eat that up, and then make up a tray of fruit, pastries, pancakes/waffles, etc. and a glass (I've got to train him better as he uses the small juice glasses for this:rolleyes:) of OJ for us. He does have to hide the tray from the cabin steward until the end of the cruise.[/quote']

That would be a good idea except for the fact that the plates in the buffet are as large at the tray itself and can carry the same amount. ;)

The only meat dish I've never gotten myself to try is their meatloaf.:( It never looks appetizing so I move on to anything else.

The meat loaf in the dining room is good. I don't think I've seen it at the buffet. I don't know if it's the same stuff. I guess since I hardly ever eat a full meal in HC, I shouldn't claim to be an expert. :)

The meat loaf in the dining room is good. I don't think I've seen it at the buffet. I don't know if it's the same stuff. I guess since I hardly ever eat a full meal in HC, I shouldn't claim to be an expert. :)

It might be the same meat loaf in the DR- I've never tried it either. There's always something else that's much better.

I've never had a hamburger or hot either- I pass them up for real food. ;)

I did try a veggie burger once- TERRIBLE.

Yes--worst vegeburger ever. They should just buy the frozen ones in the supermarket instead of trying to get all creative with it.

You know, maybe I shouldn't knock them since it was my first veggie burger ever. I would never eat one at home or order one in a restaurant so I decided to give it a go. I did eat half or it smothered with catchup. Who knows, to a vegetarian they might be the greatest. ;)

You know, maybe I shouldn't knock them since it was my first veggie burger ever. I would never eat one at home or order one in a restaurant so I decided to give it a go. I did eat half or it smothered with catchup. Who knows, to a vegetarian they might be the greatest. ;)

I'm not a vegetarian, but I know and love a good veggie burger when I have one. Princess's are indeed terrible. They're so bad, they're an art form: a virtual paean to awfulness.

If you want to try a good veggie burger one day, I recommend the one at Fuddrucker's. Get it with pepper-jack cheese. Outstanding.

That would be a good idea except for the fact that the plates in the buffet are as large at the tray itself and can carry the same amount. ;)

A bowl for fruit and/or cereal, a small plate for the waffle, a little container of syrup for the waffle, a plate with a croissant/donut/sweet roll, the silverware/napkin, a glass of OJ...the oval plate that's in the HC won't work to carry these.

Have them at least try the dining room. I eat steak and potatoes most nights in the dining room! Beef medallions are always available; the sauce rotates nightly. There's even a burger and fries offering on the menu with nightly sauce/ingredient variations. A home style entree is available each night. They can sub a baked potato any night, too. Then, there's often a specialty steak, lamb, or duck dish offered. If they don't like it, they can always do Horizon Court. Crown Grill is on some ships and costs extra, but maybe they'd really like that. You get to view the cuts of meat on a tray. There's always Trident Grill, too for burgers and hot dogs.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app