Swimming with the stingrays a MUST?

SportsMomof4

editorial comment or exercise in managing expectations

I fully understand the logic in booking a 'private tour' with 6 or 10 on a boat vs the larger boats commonly used by ship excursions .... and MAYBE you'll get a 'private' experience .... but this is what I see ... some big boats and some small but a ton of folks in the water anyway

IMG_7704-M.jpg

For all of you who have done this and took pictures... what camera did you take/???

I use an Olympus Tough camera as well and LOVE the pictures it takes (it's waterproof so I use it for snorkeling as well). I also have a Canon D10 that I use and love. It takes great pictures as well.

You can check out any of my pictures in my reviews. They were done with both cameras. :)

It's only a "must" if it's the type of thing you like to do. We love the ocean and any ocean animals we get a chance to swim with, we do it. :D

Here's another thought though... the place you go to "the sandbar" is very neat and unique in itself. Think out being out in the middle of the ocean and there's a sandbar there were the water is simply beautiful and crystal clear that you can see the bottom ocean floor AND you can get out and stand there...in the middle of the ocean. It's really neat just to think about it.

Also, you are out in the ocean and stingrays are coming up to you to be fed. They are not in a pen being held captive like in most ports that you get a chance to swim with them. They are in their natural habitat.

We never found them to be aggressive and didn't bother you unless you had food (squid) in your hands. They know everyone comes there daily to feed them and that's why they show up. We had our then 3 year old with us and she loved it.

IMG_7704-M.jpg

IMG_7703-M.jpg

IMG_7695-M.jpg

Hi,

Thank you for your recommendations and honest review. I have a question. From what I have read, the water on the sandbar is about waist deep. I am a very short adult (under 5ft) and so wondering if the water will be more like "chin" deep or high shoulder deep to me? If so the stingrays would be more face level to me than waist level, and I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that? The water level was high when my daughter visited there about 5 years ago - she is 5'3 and she said the stingrays were uncomfortably high level for her .

Can you share your thoughts on this and your recommendations? anyone?

thanks

Penni

You will be fine dc, my wife is 5'2" and her friend is 4'8" and they were fine.

However, the pics above really take away from the great experience this can be, we took one of those on our very first visit to GCM.

We recently stayed on the island for 2 weeks, and based on extraordinary reviews and recommendations from locals we took the Fat Fish Adventures jet ski tour to the sandbar and several other spots. Peter and his guides make this a much more personal experience as you are there when it is much less crowded. And you also have a chance to see the reef and either Rum Point or starfish beach if you have time. What a great day!

But the rays are very calm and friendly, and with the right guide you'll be able to interact one-on one much more. Frisbee (no tail) likes to rub your back. Hopefully you'll do your own excursion and have an even better experience. But if you can't still go, it is a unique experience. Other than that and diving the beach is the main attraction.

You will be fine dc, my wife is 5'2" and her friend is 4'8" and they were fine.

However, the pics above really take away from the great experience this can be, we took one of those on our very first visit to GCM.

We recently stayed on the island for 2 weeks, and based on extraordinary reviews and recommendations from locals we took the Fat Fish Adventures jet ski tour to the sandbar and several other spots. Peter and his guides make this a much more personal experience as you are there when it is much less crowded. And you also have a chance to see the reef and either Rum Point or starfish beach if you have time. What a great day!

But the rays are very calm and friendly, and with the right guide you'll be able to interact one-on one much more. Frisbee (no tail) likes to rub your back. Hopefully you'll do your own excursion and have an even better experience. But if you can't still go, it is a unique experience. Other than that and diving the beach is the main attraction.

Thanks, appreciate the response, and that does make me feel some better about the excursion. I'll check the weather activity closer to time and then make a decision.

Archived