Help with Haugesund! (HAL subsitute for Eidfjord on Aug 8.

shrimp56

HAL made a port change today on the Sug. 8 Eurodam Norway Fjords, dropping Eidfjord for Haugesund. The shorex listed on HAL are uninspiring and don't include any that cruise into Hardangerfjord. I've been looking for shorex other than HAL and not having much luck. Losing Hardangerfjord is a big loss:(

Does anyone know if there is a reason for the shift other than saving gas (PLEASE help us rather than bashing HAL) and any suggestions on any Hardangerfjord shorex that leave from Haugesund? P

HAL made a port change today on the Sug. 8 Eurodam Norway Fjords, dropping Eidfjord for Haugesund. The shorex listed on HAL are uninspiring and don't include any that cruise into Hardangerfjord. I've been looking for shorex other than HAL and not having much luck. Losing Hardangerfjord is a big loss:(

Does anyone know if there is a reason for the shift other than saving gas (PLEASE help us rather than bashing HAL) and any suggestions on any Hardangerfjord shorex that leave from Haugesund? P

I don't know why they changed, but I do know they have changed a couple of ports in the Northern areas and some are disappointed. Understandable.

Since this is most likely a unique port, I would also try the ports boards. There are a lot of knowledgeable people there who may be able to help you with what to do:D

It's a new port since 2012 and am not seeing anything on the ports forum, which is why I posted here.

Understandable - I was just suggesting that you try posting the question there as well - a post may get some people who know about the area to help - just trying to help;)

Understandable - I was just suggesting that you try posting the question there as well - a post may get some people who know about the area to help - just trying to help;)

Thank you very much:) I didn't mean to sound short with you. I'm just trying to get something going there before we fly out on Monday. Will do as you suggest.

Thank you very much:) I didn't mean to sound short with you. I'm just trying to get something going there before we fly out on Monday. Will do as you suggest.

no worries:) you were not short at all. I'm just afraid that there be a number here that have not been or may not see it in time. If you have just been advised and you leave on Monday that is a real bummer:( not much time to plan or even find out.

Just the same have a great cruise and a wonderful time:D Who knows? You may have found a hidden gem - or we can at least hope so;)

I am so sorry that has happened to you on short notice.

Sure wish I could help or make suggestions.

Hope you find something. Maybe once you are on the ship HAL might add a couple of more tours. That happened to us a couple of times. More so in Europe than in the Caribbean or Alaska.

Have a great cruise.

No experience as we did go to Eidfjord earlier this month. Allthough other than having seen the port I have no clue if it is as beautifull as it is said to be (schedule went ahead as normal, personal agenda got messed up that day unfort.)

If you find you want more info than you'll have gathered online, make use of the options onboard. I've found the onboard shore "guide" to be very helpfull. Not just for the every day predictable stuff they can easily repeat as if being an answering machine, but to zoom in on out of the norm questions or destinations. Have been in conversations where fellow passengers were given some great info about a destination they wanted to visit themselves that wasn't the port nor in ANY of the booklet, touroptions, lectures you name it. Milage will vary depending on the knowledge from the guide during your cruise but can't hurt to ask.

Second point of info; shorex desk. Not "just" when interested in booking through HAL, but also again for more general options incl. about on your own. Milage might vary again, but hopefully you'll have an alike experience I've had with them. As said ports didn't change last minute, but I travel with some rather specific special needs that require some very creative thinking. Yet for each of the 8 ports the shorex manager would come with loads of info for me that suited my likes and abilities, offering always more than one option per port/area. Hopefully you'll run into alike knowledgable people that can add to your found info and options.

"Positive" of this change being known now is that both shorex and guide can have multiple days to have more info and possible also tour options up before the actual port day comes along. It's always a shame when a port gets changed, but at least this way you can do some research and they have more time to get as much as possible other tour options and general info about this port ready for you and your fellow passengers.

If not already done; contact visitnorway. It's the Norwegian tourist office, answer pretty quickly and in english. They should be able to give you a quick run down of options in Haugesund. Google will give you their website incl. mail address etc. They'll have both general info about options as many times also info about tour operators etc.

Sounds like you have a very nice replacement port. It is fairly new from what I read. The link below if I copied it right (using an iPad) is one of the best sites that I have found.

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Where-to-go/Fjord-Norway/Haugesund-Haugalandet/What-to-do-in-Haugesund-and-Haugalandet/

And another link on the Langfoss. Wish I was on your cruise--this waterfall looks awesome.

http://www.worldwaterfalldatabase.com/waterfall/Langfoss-427/

Sounds like you have a very nice replacement port. It is fairly new from what I read. The link below if I copied it right (using an iPad) is one of the best sites that I have found.

www.visitnorway.com/en/Where-to-go/Fjord-Norway/Haugesund-Haugalandet/What-to-do-in-Haugesund-and-Haugalandet/

And another link on the Langfoss. Wish I was on your cruise--this waterfall looks awesome.

http://www.worldwaterfalldatabase.com/waterfall/Langfoss-427/

The waterfall does look amazing, but we're having a hard time finding a way to get there short of hiring our own fast boat LOL

Sorry I saw this now. It was because the Captain didn't want to go under the new bridge, fearing in might be too low.

You could have asked on the Fred Olsen forum, as Balmoral will call five times this year in Haugesund.

We've learned what the issue is with Eidfjord. Apparently there is a bridge that was expected to be done by now. Until it is finished we're too tall to get under it. Not surprisingly the captain is quite attached to the ship's funnels. We will learn tomorrow whether it's Eidfjord or Haugesund for us:)

Thanks for letting us know! Last year I was in Eidfjord on the Ryndam (enjoyed the stop, btw) , and did wonder why you were missing the port.

The E-dam is so much larger than the Ryndam, though, so this makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not on the ship, but I'm living in Haugesund. I have done a lot of cruises other places and I was curious about reviews about my hometown. To those who don't know what to do: please take a arranged trip and see our surroundings. You can do a walk in the city in the afternoon, and look at the boats coming and going in "Karmsundet". The waterfall is quite far away,- and as far as I know you must do a tour with your shipcompany, but it will be a long day by bus.

The weather is not always too good here, so good luck. Hope you will have a lovely day. Try to see the viking-place, the old church at Karmøy, the lovely beaches ( too cold to swim), Skudesneshavn ) a beautiful litle city at Karmøy) go for a walk at the harbour close to the city and have a look at the boats etc. You can walk across a bridge from the port to the city center if you are normal healthy. Welcome to Haugesund:)

I have friends on the Eurodam and the ship half way up the fjord to Eidfjord today, before doing a 180 degree turn. I've received daily emails from them, but they haven't answered the question as why the ship turned around.

As of about 3 PM Central Time in the US, the Eurodam is still in Haugesund.

EDIT: I missed the post above stating the missed port was due to a bridge which wasn't finished.

Thank you put for your useful comments. The captain sailed us up Hardangerfjord to a beautiful waterfall. We docked around 2pm in Haugesund. Hub and I visited the church and shopped a bit.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forums mobile app

Archived