May 2014: Royal or NCL?

bhealy

We are taking my MIL on a cruise next year. The only time she can go is the beginning of May. We picked the two cruises below based on the cost of two rooms. If we go on the Radiance we will also do a side trip to Victoria and Seattle. We are flying into Vancouver and out of Seattle. Which one do you prefer?

Royal - Radiance - May 9-16

Vancouver

At Sea

Icy Strait Point 10-6

Tracy Arm Fjord 11-6

Juneau 7-4

Ketchikan 9-6

At Sea

Vancouver

NCL - Jewel - May 10-17

Vacouver

At Sea

Ketichikan 7-3

Juneau 7-1:30

Sawyer Glacier (same day as Juneau)

Skagway 7-5:30

At Sea

Victoria 2:30-9:30

Seattle

I would suggest you first, look at Hoonah and Skagway, and what each would offer you in tour interests? Determine if there are any priorities for your visit? You can make the selection based on that.

Do realize however, chances are against you that you will even transit Tracy Arm, if you do, chances are slim that you will get a glacier view. Alternative would be a substitution of Endicott Arm which does see the Dawes Glacier, but no way to predict. Decisions aren't disclosed until you are there. So if glaciers are a priority make other glacier plans, especially looking at flights.

Either of these cruises will offer you an excellent vacation. I have sailed both and certainly enjoyed them. :)

Just keep in mind that is early in the season. Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier will be questionable. Last year, we cruised on the Star Princess out of Seattle leaving Memorial Day weekend, and we didn't make it up Tracy Arm due to too much ice. We went up to Dawes Glacier. Given the two itineraries, I'd probably take the NCL.

Thanks for the info. We decided on NCL. Hopefully we will be able to take one of the helicopter glacier landing tours.

To hedge the bets, book at your first opportunity either Juneau or Skagway. Then have the contacts for the second option and immediately attempt to book if the first is canceled.

What I like about the RCL cruise is you have 7 hours for your Tracy Arm Transit (if it is a go). Since NCL is combining Tracy Arm and Juneau on the same day, the transit time will be much shorter if, indeed, you can transit the fjord.

Hi,

We are on the NCL Pearl from May 8 - 18. You may want to consider that itinerary. Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Victoria. The ports have longer hours and they arrive at Noon for Victoria. Also they cruise Glacier Bay which is worth the cruise alone. It is unlikely Glacier Bay will get missed, just maybe not as close in some spots depending on weather/ice.

The Pearl is my favorite ship btw. I love the spa, bowling alley, food (especially Cagney's and Modernos), and general ambiance of ship and crew.

My two cents. Good luck choosing!!

L.A.S.T.

What I like about the RCL cruise is you have 7 hours for your Tracy Arm Transit (if it is a go). Since NCL is combining Tracy Arm and Juneau on the same day, the transit time will be much shorter if, indeed, you can transit the fjord.

I have sailed NCL in Tracy Arm, it isn't "much shorter". it's probably about an hour different. In my opinion- it is "necessary" to take the add on Tracy Arm shore excursion which used to leave a 1/2 hour prior to the cruise ship.

Both these ships don't have far to go, getting to Tracy Arm, so wondering why RCI's entry is so late. It will be a case of the ship "stalling" for hours during the night.

One thing to note that NCL now has rights to Glacier Bay, a must for first time Alaska visitors.. Sister companies RCCL and Celebrity, for some reason, have no rights to enter Glacier Bay.

My 2 upcoming cruises are with RCCL, as they have very good ship amenities, but for some reason, I always left them out for Alaska as they don't have Glacier Bay. My first visit was with HAL, then NCL next.

One thing to note that NCL now has rights to Glacier Bay, a must for first time Alaska visitors.. Sister companies RCCL and Celebrity, for some reason, have no rights to enter Glacier Bay.

My 2 upcoming cruises are with RCCL, as they have very good ship amenities, but for some reason, I always left them out for Alaska as they don't have Glacier Bay. My first visit was with HAL, then NCL next.

NCL has been going to Glacier Bay for years.

I have sailed NCL in Tracy Arm, it isn't "much shorter". it's probably about an hour different. In my opinion- it is "necessary" to take the add on Tracy Arm shore excursion which used to leave a 1/2 hour prior to the cruise ship.

Both these ships don't have far to go, getting to Tracy Arm, so wondering why RCI's entry is so late. It will be a case of the ship "stalling" for hours during the night.

OP listed the transit time for the Royal Radiance as 11-6, which is 7 hours.

If the NCL Jewel has the same transit time in 2014 as in 2013, the transit time is 4.5 hours. (Per the port schedule)

Even though this difference may not be significant to you, it would be to me. The thing is the OP is looking at early May so this could all be a mute point anyway.

OP listed the transit time for the Royal Radiance as 11-6, which is 7 hours.

If the NCL Jewel has the same transit time in 2014 as in 2013, the transit time is 4.5 hours. (Per the port schedule)

Even though this difference may not be significant to you, it would be to me. The thing is the OP is looking at early May so this could all be a mute point anyway.

Where do you get the "port schedule"? There is no time stated on the NCL website itinerary. I have personally been on this several times with NCL, and the cruise ship was out of Tracy Arm between 7-8pm. Add on boat tour left at 1pm. However last I sailed NCL was 8/11 on a round trip.

They likely will be going to Endicott Arm, but ships were transiting Tracy Arm in this timeframe this season, If I recall correctly. this season. Hubbard was the trouble spot this year, which I experienced. All the more reason for repeat trips. :)

Where do you get the "port schedule"? There is no time stated on the NCL website itinerary. I have personally been on this several times with NCL, and the cruise ship was out of Tracy Arm between 7-8pm. Add on boat tour left at 1pm. However last I sailed NCL was 8/11 on a round trip.

They likely will be going to Endicott Arm, but ships were transiting Tracy Arm in this timeframe this season, If I recall correctly. this season. Hubbard was the trouble spot this year, which I experienced. All the more reason for repeat trips. :)

This link is for the port times for Tracy Arm (TA) for 2013. I found this a few years ago when someone mentioned the Disney Ship was getting to the end of the fjord every time. Other ships were being reported to have to turn around. When I checked out the port schedule, at least that year, Disney did have the longest time listed on this schedule. That year I found times as little as 2.5 hours and as long as 7 hours. I haven't scoured this schedule that carefully.

http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2013/TA_2013.pdf

To hedge the bets, book at your first opportunity either Juneau or Skagway. Then have the contacts for the second option and immediately attempt to book if the first is canceled.

As usual Budget Queen shows her experience. Always have a backup plan ready to go in case plan one fizzles. When cruising always have the mental awareness ready for change.

This link is for the port times for Tracy Arm (TA) for 2013. I found this a few years ago when someone mentioned the Disney Ship was getting to the end of the fjord every time. Other ships were being reported to have to turn around. When I checked out the port schedule, at least that year, Disney did have the longest time listed on this schedule. That year I found times as little as 2.5 hours and as long as 7 hours. I haven't scoured this schedule that carefully.

http://www.claalaska.com/pdf/2013/TA_2013.pdf

This is a secondary, report site, nothing official. A better source would be first hand reports from the current season, for several cruises. I see glaring errors with your "2.5" hour reference as that is not even possible, to even consider for Tracy Arm.

I see glaring errors with your "2.5" hour reference as that is not even possible, to even consider for Tracy Arm.

If I am recalling correctly, the 2.5 hours was for one of the smaller cruise ships, not one of the main stream lines.

Hi,

We are on the NCL Pearl from May 8 - 18. You may want to consider that itinerary. Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Victoria. The ports have longer hours and they arrive at Noon for Victoria. Also they cruise Glacier Bay which is worth the cruise alone. It is unlikely Glacier Bay will get missed, just maybe not as close in some spots depending on weather/ice.

The Pearl is my favorite ship btw. I love the spa, bowling alley, food (especially Cagney's and Modernos), and general ambiance of ship and crew.

My two cents. Good luck choosing!!

L.A.S.T.

The 10 day cruise on the Pearl is my first choice, but we would have to get two insides vs. two balconies. I was outvoted. I will switch if the price goes down before final payment.

Thanks for the advice on the glacier flights. We will do the Tracy Arm small boat tour if it is available.

Archived