Carnival Spirit Review

Glad you enjoyed yourselves but with all aussie ships once you embark thats it you stay onboard

I think some have mentioned they've gotten off before at Perth or Fremantle?

Weird rule though. And very annoying!

There was a time before the GFC where cruise lines like Celebrity, HAL, Cunard were all double the price of the lines like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I always remember P&O and Princess being slightly in between the two.

The worst thing anyone can do is take offence at a critical review of their favourite ship. Its just a ship and bad reviews happen. Those people should just dry their eyes and move on. Far better to be on your favourite ship and enjoying it than dwelling on the things other people have to say about it.

Things could be worst. I have done tours around Europe where the bus had early starts and the hot water was only turned on after we departed, I have had hotel rooms without pillows and even rooms without water at all. This is all modern day Europe if you take a budget tour around it. Even the food is random between places.

With cruising the trick is not to set your expectations too high an get to know what market you are going for.

Forget all these over rated TV shows like celebrity chef, my kitchen rules, forget about Gordon Ramsay and all the hob nob chefs you see on TV. You are NOT going to get that on a cruise ship. I think social media and the reality TV era has greatly increased peoples expectations of certain things.

Reviews help but they should not be treated as gospel.

Would I travel on Carnival Spirit after seeing the reviews? possibly not. The only drawback I would have is hoards of children running around. That's not my idea of a holiday.

I don't think it would matter which cruise/cruiseline the OP was on, have a feeling there still would have been a negative review. :eek:

I think that is a little harsh, I enjoyed the Spirit but I didn't have the flu or

norovirus.:confused:

I believe the original poster has been on other lines without posting any negative reviews.:)

There is a big difference between the Spirit and the other ships sailing from Australia in both decor and overall management, some love the novelty of the strange decor and being constantly told you are having fun!!! Some think it was more fun on P&O and Princess but they forgot to tell you all the time.:)

I think that is a little harsh, I enjoyed the Spirit but I didn't have the flu or

norovirus.:confused:

I believe the original poster has been on other lines without posting any negative reviews.:)

There is a big difference between the Spirit and the other ships sailing from Australia in both decor and overall management, some love the novelty of the strange decor and being constantly told you are having fun!!! Some think it was more fun on P&O and Princess but they forgot to tell you all the time.:)

I found the garish decor in the main lounge on the Pacific Sun bad enough. It was there from her previous incarnation as the Carnival Jubilee.

Things change. Before the GFC for example, Celebrity had half the fleet it does now. None of the Solstice class ships had yet been launched.

The GFC brought on a whole lot of desperate competition in all the cruise lines. The result now is those lines are broadly chasing the same market.

I found the garish decor in the main lounge on the Pacific Sun bad enough. It was there from her previous incarnation as the Carnival Jubilee.

I liked the Pacific Sun, the show lounge was bright and cheerful.

I can't say the same for the Spirit to enter the balcony area of the show lounge you pass gilt sarcophagi, great if you like the weird but not at all cheerful.

Although the Sun was previously a Carnival ship it was much better designed. Although older.

I really don't want to put anyone off cruising on the Spirit it is really worth the experience, we enjoyed it despite my criticism.:)

Edited by sun-set

Wow, I'm really ... Well I can't even say surprised at some of the comments on here. I've never understood by people assume that those who give reviews which include a series of negative experiences were adamant to be negative on their cruise etc. I don't think anyone takes a holiday and pays large sums of money just to go away and be negative or complain - I can't understand why anyone would, it's counter intuitive! We were all very much looking forward to this cruise - we've been to these islands before and love them, otherwise we wouldn't have gone. It is disappointing when you pay for a holiday and basic levels of hygiene and customer service are not met. I do not expect every cruise to be perfect, I understand that all cruise lines are different. I do feel that carnival was below basic hygiene standards you'd expect in an Australian restaurant/hotel and below levels of customer service you'd expect in a hotel/entertainment/retail environment (and I say Australian because they are operating out of Australia).

A few other points I'd like to quickly make:

- yes, perhaps we would not h e had so many negative experiences had we not fallen ill (ie because we would never have had to deal with medical staff or not observed their lack of care).

- I never expected to see a doctor for free - we were more than happy to pay the $90 fee but the option was never given to us.

- re quarantining, my doctor had said I'd be ok in a few days, I was just surprised that there were no questions as I boarded (and I was ready, if need be, I not board the ship. But I don't work on cruise ships, and I do not know what falls into the category f able to board vs not)

- There were several other people we observed with coughs an colds particularly on the first few days

I'm on my phone again so it's not so easy to respond to each comment...I just wanted to say that I've tried to keep my review factual. All I've wanted to do is illustrate the lack of customer service and poor hygiene that existed during our trip. I understand that others may have had different experiences - it is a large ship and I'm sure we all interacted with different staff. My review just I outlined what happened to us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ok, we have read your posts and you have stated your case. No need to keep harping on about it because it is becoming like a football game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all understand you didn't have a good experience. I do note that you pay out on the staff ..... which does raise the question, if they had they had the opportunity to respond, how do you think they would?

Ok, we have read your posts and you have stated your case. No need to keep harping on about it because it is becoming like a football game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all understand you didn't have a good experience. I do note that you pay out on the staff ..... which does raise the question, if they had they had the opportunity to respond, how do you think they would?

The staff were great Foxwald as they always are on cruise ships, you will have a great time, the ship is unusual and well worth experiencing. They are taking onboard comments to improve any problems, so by the time you sail it should be perfect.:)

The staff were great Foxwald as they always are on cruise ships, you will have a great time, the ship is unusual and well worth experiencing. They are taking onboard comments to improve any problems, so by the time you sail it should be perfect.:)

Thanks sun-set, we are looking forward to the trip ........ we have too many months to wait though :cool:

Edited by Fozwald

I liked the Pacific Sun, the show lounge was bright and cheerful.

I can't say the same for the Spirit to enter the balcony area of the show lounge you pass gilt sarcophagi, great if you like the weird but not at all cheerful.

Although the Sun was previously a Carnival ship it was much better designed. Although older.

I really don't want to put anyone off cruising on the Spirit it is really worth the experience, we enjoyed it despite my criticism.:)

Pacific Sun still rates high with us:D:D, we had 3 great cruises on her sure she was a rabbit warren not the best planned ship on the high sea's but what she lacked in beauty she gained by being one of the friendliest..

E. the decor on the Pacific Sun was bright and cheerful unfortunately this ship doesn't reflect that....

Any ship is worth a try especially if you pay rock bottom pricing.... this particular brand is not for us, no shame in saying that and no one should be flamed or chastised for doing so either, if we decide to fill a little spare time again with a local cruise we will stick to RCCL or P&O

Pacific Sun still rates high with us:D:D, we had 3 great cruises on her sure she was a rabbit warren not the best planned ship on the high sea's but what she lacked in beauty she gained by being one of the friendliest..

E. the decor on the Pacific Sun was bright and cheerful unfortunately this ship doesn't reflect that....

Any ship is worth a try especially if you pay rock bottom pricing.... this particular brand is not for us, no shame in saying that and no one should be flamed or chastised for doing so either, if we decide to fill a little spare time again with a local cruise we will stick to RCCL or P&O

Shiona -- one cruise on one ship in a cruiseline ?? Perhaps you are being a little too harsh ? Your privilege, of course - and there are a whole lot of other experiences to try in this big World of ours. But -- who knows??

If anything, I am a bit hesitant about Carnival because they do seem to market to the "family friendly" scene :) When we are in the UK, I love to go to the Pommy pubs and enjoy the Pommy beer - but I have 3 "rules". 1. never go to a pub that advertises itself as "family "friendly", 2. never go to a pub whose name starts with "Ye Olde..." and 3. never drink beer that has been brewed "under licence" :)

Barry

Shiona -- one cruise on one ship in a cruiseline ?? Perhaps you are being a little too harsh ? Your privilege, of course - and there are a whole lot of other experiences to try in this big World of ours. But -- who knows??

If anything, I am a bit hesitant about Carnival because they do seem to market to the "family friendly" scene :) When we are in the UK, I love to go to the Pommy pubs and enjoy the Pommy beer - but I have 3 "rules". 1. never go to a pub that advertises itself as "family "friendly", 2. never go to a pub whose name starts with "Ye Olde..." and 3. never drink beer that has been brewed "under licence" :)

Barry

Correct me if i'm wrong Barry but to this date Carnival AUSTRALIA has only one ship , one product, can't see it changing however i won't ever say never to trying the U.S product

Edited by badgerbill

Correct me if i'm wrong Barry but to this date Carnival AUSTRALIA has only one ship , one product, can't see it changing however i won't ever say never to trying the U.S product

That is true at this moment but don't forget Carnival Legend is coming to join her sister.

That is a good point -- but I can't see why a simple repositioning of a ship to Australian waters would then greatly and fairly quickly change the "culture" onboard that ship. Certainly some things would change regarding the onshore general management of the ship (eg such things as provisioning, booking administration,etc) - but why/how would the management of the ship itself change to be something other than what it has been while sailing in US waters.?

Anyway - I guess this is all theoretical. You have been on Spirit and I haven't.

Barry

• 4 months later...
I have always wondered about the effectiveness of those health questionaires. People wouldn't tell lies -- would they?? :)

Barry

Mostly yes I would think...but if they told the truth about a contagious health problem, it would probably be the last time they told the truth on the health questionnaires. :):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues