What was your favorite transatlantic cruise, and why?

I love coming west, because you have a better chance of getting a Caribbean cruise at the end of the TA. I also like the weather in Sept-Nov.

We have done b2b TA cruises by taking the last Caribbean , then the eastern TA, or the last European and then the western TA.

I love coming west, because you have a better chance of getting a Caribbean cruise at the end of the TA. I also like the weather in Sept-Nov.

We have done b2b TA cruises by taking the last Caribbean , then the eastern TA, or the last European and then the western TA.

I love coming West from Barcelona as Liberty is a great ship and the price is usually one of the best value.

You also sail in the warmer part of the Atlantic weather wise. From the UK it always seems to be rougher and colder more quickly.

The cultures seem more mixed sailing from Spain as opposed to sailing from Southampton with majority UK cruisers. I prefer more other cultures than majority UK people around me.

We loved our TA from Barcelona to FLL. Heading westbound gave us 25 hour days, and we had all those wonderful sea days to relax AFTER spending 3 weeks traveling though France and Spain. I also liked that it was the southern route, and each day at sea the weather got warmer and warmer. Loved that cruise! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We've only sailed one TA, with two more booked. I like the westbound TA's for a couple of reasons. First, I get the long flight out of the way at the beginning of my vacation. Second, on the crossing you get 25 hour days (vs 23 hour days on the eastbound). Our first TA from Barcelona to Galveston in November, it warmed quickly as we left the Mediterranean with daytime temps in the 70's all the way home.

I would only do a southern crossing for the best change at warm weather. Coming eastbound we always book a port side room to get the most sun exposure...not just for the sun, but for the sunrises and sunset views too. If you can find a TA with a port stop at Madeira, don't miss the opportunity to see this beautiful island.

Another westbound lover because of getting the long flight over with first thing, then having your longer sea days of sailing:D

We absolutely love sailing from Barcelona. One of my favorite ports. Just can't go wrong there.

We sailed from the Baltics and it was fabulous. Itinerary has a lot to do with it also.

Another westbound lover because of getting the long flight over with first thing, then having your longer sea days of sailing:D

We absolutely love sailing from Barcelona. One of my favorite ports. Just can't go wrong there.

I am so glad to hear it!:) I am on a WB transatlantic from Barcelona to FLL this fall.

We've done three, 2 Westbound and 1 east, the Mariner last november was the best one I've done, 16 days from Rome to Galveston, great ship, crew and passengers and it had had really lively roll call. And Westbound you get the longer days and we've been lucky with the weather.

I'm interested in the ship(s), the ports, the direction, the weather - everything to help me make a choice.

Many thanks.

Kathy

My favorite was on the Adventurer out of San Juan... stopped in St Maarten before hitting the Atlantic, stopped at Canary Islands X 3 (Tenerife, La Palma, Lanzarote), Madeira and then ended in Malaga.

I don't think any current TA on RCL's list can top this itinerary with these interesting ports in Europe. Looks like LIberty and Legend have the best itineraries.

Great to see all these positive comments. I must say that I have never got round to doing this yet and thought I would would go stir crazy on board with so many sea days. Thats what has put me off.

The westbound route sounds great though with better weather as you go.

Sure I will get round to it some day !

Thanks

PJ

Great to see all these positive comments. I must say that I have never got round to doing this yet and thought I would would go stir crazy on board with so many sea days. Thats what has put me off.

Thanks

PJ

My husband was worried about this, too. After doing the westbound TA 2 years ago on the Mariner from Rome to Galveston, we're hooked. Trying our first B2B this year on the Navigator. Starting in Rome and ending in Galveston. Can't wait! Our roll call is starting to rival our first experience which was more than 3000 posts. Can't wait to meet everyone and see some old faces, too. CC makes the experience more fun with all the excursions planned among its members. Have fun deciding.

Thanks

PJ

That is a comment my DH would make. I think he is still a little worried about what to do for all those days at sea.

My husband was worried about this, too. After doing the westbound TA 2 years ago on the Mariner from Rome to Galveston, we're hooked. Trying our first B2B this year on the Navigator. Starting in Rome and ending in Galveston. Can't wait! Our roll call is starting to rival our first experience which was more than 3000 posts. Can't wait to meet everyone and see some old faces, too. CC makes the experience more fun with all the excursions planned among its members. Have fun deciding.

Our roll call is getting pretty active. Several people are doing group tours. We are doing one of these. I promised DH we would leave a couple of the ports unplanned. We will likely take the HOHO bus or walk around the city. We are former history teachers and plan to see the castles and churches.

We can not wait.

Don't mean to try to talk anyone out of a westbound, but our only TA [so far - other than my 8 day cruise at the courtesy of the Navy as a military dependent in 1963] was east bound and we had a great time. The 23/25 hour issues was not a big deal to me. You only have 5 hours to make up so not really a big deal out of a two week cruise. Both the east bound and west bound TAs follow generally the same routes [albeit in opposite directions], and given the time of year [east bound in spring and westbound in fall] the weather should be pretty similar. We sailed in April [embarking on Easter Sunday] and, as I recall the pools and flowrider were active most days.

I think there may have been an error above. Generally the sunnier side of the ship will be starboard for eastbound and port for westbound. If anyone is interested, I can post a picture taken from our starboard side balcony on our eastbound which shows the shadow so you get the idea. I still enjoyed the balcony, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

I echo the comment above about Madeira. We also enjoyed our stop in the Azores. Both places would not have gone absent them being on the cruise itinerary. Both places I am glad I got to see.

We did our first westbound TA in 2002,7 nights from Harwich, England to Boston, Ma with no ports of call in between and were absolutely hooked. We were never at a loss for things to do and after a busy six day precruise in London and Paris, we appreciated the opportunity to enjoy the extra hours on board and to relax and unwind. We have done several subsequent TAs that visited France, Ireland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands and are looking forward to this year's return of the Brilliance to Boston after a dozen or so years of absence. We have experienced all types of weather on those trips and found that the ships handled quite well in even the roughest conditions.:)

We have only done westbound, always southern route. We like having a shorter trip home after the cruise, we like to spend time exploring the area where we are leaving from and then having the relaxing sea days afterward. The first time we were concerned that it might be too much time at sea, but we were like"already?" When it was near the end

Maureen

Someone tell me what you did on sea days? I have seen read and relax many times.

We are going on the southern route Barcelona to FLL. Oct 30-Nov 12.

1. Is it warm enough to use the pool deck? [i know there are no guarantees on weather--just need an idea] After we leave Canary Islands or do we need to be most of the way back to FL?

2. I love to read but even I would get tired of reading after a few days. Do they offer classes? Jewelry making, scrapbooking, etc. I have never attended a jewelry class--but, I might on a sea day. [not really interested in towel folding :p ]

3. Are there movies/sporting events shown in the theater or outdoor movie screen? Everyday or occasionally?

4. Do they have evening/night deck parties? There was a "white party' on the Grandeur one night.

Just looking for information if anyone has it.

Someone tell me what you did on sea days? I have seen read and relax many times.

We are going on the southern route Barcelona to FLL. Oct 30-Nov 12.

1. Is it warm enough to use the pool deck? [i know there are no guarantees on weather--just need an idea] After we leave Canary Islands or do we need to be most of the way back to FL? We had warm weather on our TA from BCN to New Orleans a couple of years ago. This was on Voyager and the pools were used almost every day after leaving Tenerife.

2. I love to read but even I would get tired of reading after a few days. Do they offer classes? Jewelry making, scrapbooking, etc. I have never attended a jewelry class--but, I might on a sea day. [not really interested in towel folding :p ] We had a couple of series of enrichment lectures that were quite interesting. We also make more use of the fitness center on sea days.

3. Are there movies/sporting events shown in the theater or outdoor movie screen? Everyday or occasionally? Several movies were shown in the screening room every day.

4. Do they have evening/night deck parties? There was a "white party' on the Grandeur one night. Don't recall deck parties. We had a Halloween parade on the Promenade.

Just looking for information if anyone has it.

See answers in RED above.

See answers in RED above.

Thanks, Bob. I know I could ask this on the roll call--but, this seemed like a place I could get more responses. :)

If we are able to use the pool deck on the sea days--even if it is just in the afternoon, this will make a big difference.

The Voyager is a bigger ship with many more things to do. I like smaller ships--but, it limits the activities.

Thanks, Bob. I know I could ask this on the roll call--but, this seemed like a place I could get more responses. :)

If we are able to use the pool deck on the sea days--even if it is just in the afternoon, this will make a big difference.

The Voyager is a bigger ship with many more things to do. I like smaller ships--but, it limits the activities.

One advantage of the Legend over Voyager is the covered solarium. That will likely be used to capacity on the TA.

One advantage of the Legend over Voyager is the covered solarium. That will likely be used to capacity on the TA.

That is true. I had not thought of that.

In fact, the Explorer was the first ship I sailed that did not have an indoor solarium. I was shocked to walk to the "solarium" on Oct 14 off the coast of NJ and see an outdoor pool. How was that a solarium?:p

Archived