Tacky Central?

helpthejuggler

Guess what people Carnival is the Wal Mart of cruise lines. don't go expecting 5 star class of people. Its full of people like my Wife and I who work all year 60 hours a week scrimping and saving just to go. Its great that some can afford to go on the higher end lines or the transatlantic's or Europe. If you can afford then don't come to the cheap seats and then gripe how tacky things are. I find that way more tacky than anything I saw posted on this thread.

I'm going to be booking Carnival- I don't love tacky, but I'd rather tacky and funny than stuffy and up tight! If I find something overly tacky I'll just laugh at it. The 'classy and reserved' cruise lines just don't appeal to me- it seems like you'd have to be on your best behaviour constantley and people would frown and tut at you for minor things.

Guess what people Carnival is the Wal Mart of cruise lines. don't go expecting 5 star class of people. Its full of people like my Wife and I who work all year 60 hours a week scrimping and saving just to go. Its great that some can afford to go on the higher end lines or the transatlantic's or Europe. If you can afford then don't come to the cheap seats and then gripe how tacky things are. I find that way more tacky than anything I saw posted on this thread.

Noting that this thread is not on any particular cruise line, 'Ask a cruise Question' it was not digging at Carnival. I have not sailed with them so cannot comment.

I don't mean to equate any particular cruise line with being tacky. Nor the people who sail on that line.

We all choose a cruise line based upon our budget but mostly for the overall experience vs cost.

Higher cost cruise lines don't mean more or less fun. It is often the people you meet that make a cruise better or worse. For us the ports are the most important thing.

This was meant as a bit of lively discussion on a light hearted topic, but clearly been misunderstood.

Some people noted that Quest on RCI is tacky. I enjoyed it enormously but as a first timer it was new. Maybe the more tired an activity becomes more tacky. Would it be tacky if I saw it again with the same items being quested...eventually.

I'm going to be booking Carnival- I don't love tacky, but I'd rather tacky and funny than stuffy and up tight! If I find something overly tacky I'll just laugh at it. The 'classy and reserved' cruise lines just don't appeal to me- it seems like you'd have to be on your best behaviour constantley and people would frown and tut at you for minor things.

Oh Squishy....give Carnival a try.

Please don't confuse budget, basic and functional with tacky. Quite different things. Travelodge, Premier Inn etc are functional and not tacky so I use them for the right occasion.

Funny works for me too.

Non-stuffy - Please.

Classy sometimes.

Tacky maybe, but I will probably cringe later.

I find the photographers as you disembark at each port tacky, but we have stopped for pics here and there in the past.

Maybe tackiness is in the eye of the observer rather than the observed.

I'm never knowingly be on my best behaviour.

Have fun, attract the frowns and tuts of others. Shocking a Hyacinth Bucket or two score a point in my book.

I once saw a chap use the wrong fork on Cunard.

That caused quite a stir, you can only imagine. ;)

Please don't confuse budget, basic and functional with tacky. Quite different things. Travelodge, Premier Inn etc are functional and not tacky so I use them for the right occasion.

Funny works for me too.

Non-stuffy - Please.

Classy sometimes.

I find the photographers as you disembark at each port tacky, but we have stopped for pics here and there in the past.

Have fun, attract the frowns and tuts of others. Shocking a Hyacinth Bucket or two score a point in my book.

I will definatley give Carnival a try! What I want is a 'fun cruise' after all! Although the prospect of outraging people on Cundard by passing the salt to the right or something does also amuse me. I might cringe a little at the singing waiters etc, but my boyfriend is almost impossible to embarrass so he won't care at all!

In our collective (not so) humble opinions,

What are the tackiest, most cringe-worthy activity or event on a cruise ship that you wonder if you are on the right ship?

For me I can't decide between

the Belly Flop contest which I have not witnessed but hear attract a big crowd.

In the last night theatre when crew gather (OK so far), but then sing the company song (cue: me running out the door).

I am on the fence about....

Line Dancing

Waiters Singing in the dining room

i hate to see children hurt. your '' cat attack '' is disturbing.

Why did you assume everyone was talking about Carnival. People mentioned singing waiters as being tacky and I learned that HAL has this and they are on the higher end of the main stream cruise lines.

I know plenty of people who scrimp and save for low cost cruises and still feel that activities such as the hairiest man contests and belly flop competitions are tacky.

I think saying a small vacation budget automatically goes hand and hand with liking such activities is snobbier than anything else that has been said on here. Anything that wasn't said with a ;) anyway.

Hey Juggler -

You said that you don't attend the events that you feel are tacky. Nor do I. But isn't that the point? When we were in Turkey, I didn't want to see the rug factory - but I did want to see the ruins at Ephesus. Likewise, when you are on a cruise, there are thousands of people with differing tastes and opinions. If you don't like the belly flop contest, there are plenty of other activities on board! Just enjoy what you love, and let others who are different, enjoy whatever floats their boat, so to speak :)

Good point Mellygo, but then again if another line has more to your taste you can avoid that line completely. However, as the above poster said, I will go even on Carnival with a group of friends/family if that is their choice, however my choice would be another line for sure.

Why did you assume everyone was talking about Carnival. People mentioned singing waiters as being tacky and I learned that HAL has this and they are on the higher end of the main stream cruise lines.

I know plenty of people who scrimp and save for low cost cruises and still feel that activities such as the hairiest man contests and belly flop competitions are tacky.

I think saying a small vacation budget automatically goes hand and hand with liking such activities is snobbier than anything else that has been said on here. Anything that wasn't said with a ;) anyway.

Yes, and bellyflop is RCI. Carnival is stuff the bikini and and hairy chest contest.

However, do not mislead, HAL only sing son the last night in a sort've "farewell hope you had a good cruise" type thing-whereas Carnival is EVERY night.

For me it is the ''adult comics'' not to say that something dirty is never funny but it is rare that it is . I have never gone to these shows and never would(it is classless I.M.H.O) but I know many find them funny. I mean in this day and age if you can't get enough foul mouth stuff on T.V. or radio you are just not trying.

I have never attended those adult quest games and it seems they are on almost every mainstream line. I also do not attend the not so newly wed game either, as it is always the same stupid "PG13" rated questions. I found it funny the first couple of times I saw it, but then as I realized it was always pretty much the same so I stopped going.

Huh? You must be replying to a different poster, on a different thread, on a different forum! Your comment makes no sense. :confused:

The poster they are replying to has a video clip at the bottom of their sig showing a cat pouncing on a child.

In our collective (not so) humble opinions,

What are the tackiest, most cringe-worthy activity or event on a cruise ship that you wonder if you are on the right ship?

For me I can't decide between

the Belly Flop contest which I have not witnessed but hear attract a big crowd.

In the last night theatre when crew gather (OK so far), but then sing the company song (cue: me running out the door).

I am on the fence about....

Line Dancing

Waiters Singing in the dining room

Ha!

The poster they are replying to has a video clip at the bottom of their sig showing a cat pouncing on a child.

Thanks! I have the signatures turned off so don't see those animated gif files or lists of cruises at the bottom of a posting. Sorry about the confusion.

Noting that this thread is not on any particular cruise line, 'Ask a cruise Question' it was not digging at Carnival. I have not sailed with them so cannot comment.

I don't mean to equate any particular cruise line with being tacky. Nor the people who sail on that line.

We all choose a cruise line based upon our budget but mostly for the overall experience vs cost.

Higher cost cruise lines don't mean more or less fun. It is often the people you meet that make a cruise better or worse. For us the ports are the most important thing.

This was meant as a bit of lively discussion on a light hearted topic, but clearly been misunderstood.

Some people noted that Quest on RCI is tacky. I enjoyed it enormously but as a first timer it was new. Maybe the more tired an activity becomes more tacky. Would it be tacky if I saw it again with the same items being quested...eventually.

Funny works for me too.

Non-stuffy - Please.

Classy sometimes.

Come on! Tacky is everywhere there are people. Some express it by making fools of them selves in public - others by trying to embarrass others (who might not know or care which fork to use). Speaking of Cunard - on QM2 they have huge panels intended to depict the character and culture of the several continents. On the one for North America there is the image of Homer Simpson in an arm chair watching TV. Could that be seen as a comment on the quality of U S culture?

Huh? You must be replying to a different poster, on a different thread, on a different forum! Your comment makes no sense. :confused:

am I the only one who see's it at the bottom of the op's post? if so, sorry.

No I see it, too, but unlike you it actually cracked me up. I guess I noticed that the cat is actually a kitten playing and I assumed since it was posted that the child wasn't hurt but maybe just formally being adopted into the litter. :)

Funny how our past experiences can color our glasses.

Before my first mass market cruise, I read too much about what was likely to be tacky and so avoided a lot of it. (Quest, MUTS, Midnight Buffets, dances and more). By the 8th cruise, I finally stumbled into one of the game shows. I can't adequately describe just how much fun it was. I was invited into a team of friends from Canada, the assistant CD had just the right level of energy and enthusiasm. We howled with laughter. It was a real highlight.

Tacky?

Absolutely.

I would not miss it for anything on the next one. What I plan to do is be as warm and welcoming to some stranger as those Canadians were to me.

Some people have chosen to turn off the signatures at the bottom of posts. I am one of those. We don't see the endless list of past cruises, the lists of future cruises, nor any animated photos. All we see is the content of the post without all the distractions below it.

Some people have chosen to turn off the signatures at the bottom of posts. I am one of those. We don't see the endless list of past cruises, the lists of future cruises, nor any animated photos. All we see is the content of the post without all the distractions below it.

boogs, I did not know that was an option. can you tell me how to do it. thanks

No I see it, too, but unlike you it actually cracked me up. I guess I noticed that the cat is actually a kitten playing and I assumed since it was posted that the child wasn't hurt but maybe just formally being adopted into the litter. :)

Funny how our past experiences can color our glasses.

it probably does stem from a nasty cat we had in the neiborhood when I was little that loved to attack us from hiding places. :eek: it terrified me. some memories get triggered with certain things.

Tackiest event? Men's hairy chest contest hands down. But it's fun and cheesy. Just like the dancing in the MDR. Personally I find tacky and cheesy fun. Isn't that what vacation is all about?

I agree with you. Yes, it's tacky and cheesy, but it's also always a good laugh and something I don't see anywhere else. When there are activities that don't interest me, I don't attend or participate in them. There are many other things of interest/entertainment to look for on a cruise.

Archived