On Nautica Sept 6 - more Belgian/French/Dutch passengers?

Lemailu

This is our first cruise on Oceania. My husband is not very familiar with English. He speaks French, Dutch and a little German --- and so do I

Any chance meeting some passengers we can share a conversation with?

This is the Sept 6th cruise on Nautica leaving Barcelona to Athens.

Thanks.

In the Roll Call section of Cruise Critics I believe you can find a thread for your cruise. You can post the same question for others speaking your languages. On our last cruise, there were meetings for non-English speakers noted in the daily ship's newsletter. One way or another you should be able to meet those speaking your language. Have a good trip!

This is our first cruise on Oceania. My husband is not very familiar with English. He speaks French, Dutch and a little German --- and so do I

Thanks.

We have found very few non-English speakers on our cruises but I'm sure there will be some staff and some guests that can help out in either French or German.

Sorry we won't be on your cruise since I speak German and my DH French.

Enjoy Oceania! :)

Thanks.

Dutch are the greatest travelers in Europe. Despite the small size of their country, I almost always encounter some Dutch travelers on the cruises.

Of course, you always see them all over Europe with their caravans :)

So, you are fairly likely to encounter some Dutch cruisers on your trip.

Dutch are the greatest travelers in Europe. Despite the small size of their country, I almost always encounter some Dutch travelers on the cruises.

Of course, you always see them all over Europe with their caravans :)

So, you are fairly likely to encounter some Dutch cruisers on your trip.

Hello from Amsterdam and yes we are Dutch sailed on Oceania before. Not many Dutchmen sail with "O" till now however there are always a few on board. We are on the Athens-Istanbul cruise Sept 16 as well as Cape Town- Singapore January '14 and waitlisted for Southampton-Copenhagen in Aug. 2014. You will find many Dutch citizen on Holland America MSC and Costa .

peter

When Marina docked in Zeebrugge recently I saw about 20-30 local travel agents boarding for a tour and I assume lunch.

It is clear that O are selling hard into Continental Europe. While I doubt any of the crew will speak Flemish or Walloon you can always make yourself understood with hand gestures.

Brian

We will definitely not have to make ourselves understood with hand gestures otherwise we would not have booked Oceania.

I was just wondering if there was a chance we could meet some Belgian or French or Dutch or German passengers in order to have some "proper" conversation from time to time since my husband does not speak much English.

We'll just wait and see....

Thanks

It seems to me that the main problem is that you can never know what YOUR cruise will have in terms of European passengers. Just because others have met plenty who speak your husband's languages does not mean YOU will.

But I hope you do.

Mura

Thanks.

Sorry, I am not on your cruise, but we can't take any vacation this September. I really enjoy getting to meet speakers of other languages, especially Europeans, as I lived there and have travelled throughout Europe and England in the past, just not on a cruise yet. I speak those three languages (Dutch least of all, German fluently, two years of school French and travels to France), and welcome the opportunity to enjoy conversations in any of the three, though my Dutch is very limited.

What part of Belgium do you call home?

Maybe we'll be able to meet on a future cruise. :)

Hello,

We're also from Belgium. We've been on several Oceania cruises and the number of Europeans varies very much from cruise to cruise. We did one long cruise in the far east and there were about 25 Belgians on board and lots of other Europeans (the cruise was sold in Europe at very competetive prices). We were on a cruise in the Panama canal and we were only 4. So you ca, never really tell.

Regards,

Sonja

When Marina docked in Zeebrugge recently I saw about 20-30 local travel agents boarding for a tour and I assume lunch.

It is clear that O are selling hard into Continental Europe. While I doubt any of the crew will speak Flemish or Walloon you can always make yourself understood with hand gestures.

Brian

yes: everytime an O ship is in zeebruge there are ample port functions

TA are encouraged to promote O ..

same in Amsterdam .

in the walloon area people speak French

sometimes French speaking people do have problems ( with menu's announcements ) - i noticed that quite a few tiles

Archived