Port Liberty Question...

icruz

Yes both are covered, but you could get a little wet if it's raining because the bus is not under the cover, just on the edge of it.

Cape Liberty is currently a no frills working port. That means it is not yet set up with a fancy terminal designed for cruise ships and the terminals not physically next to the ship. The "tarmac" area between the terminal and the gangway is not safe to walk across because of all the traffic coming in and out to provision the ship, so there a buses to take passengers across that area. The bus ride is about 90 seconds. The result is that you board the ship on deck 1 - no grand entrance on the deck 4 promenade.

It's not pretty, but it works. There is actually very little walking to get on the ship. By comparison, I find Port Canaveral to be a pretty terminal with an extraordinary amount of escalators, elevators, and walking.

Yes both are covered, but you could get a little wet if it's raining because the bus is not under the cover, just on the edge of it.

Cape Liberty is currently a no frills working port. That means it is not yet set up with a fancy terminal designed for cruise ships and the terminals not physically next to the ship. The "tarmac" area between the terminal and the gangway is not safe to walk across because of all the traffic coming in and out to provision the ship, so there a buses to take passengers across that area. The bus ride is about 90 seconds. The result is that you board the ship on deck 1 - no grand entrance on the deck 4 promenade.

It's not pretty, but it works. There is actually very little walking to get on the ship. By comparison, I find Port Canaveral to be a pretty terminal with an extraordinary amount of escalators, elevators, and walking.

How often does the bus run to the ship?

When you check in they give you a bus number ticket stub and you wait until your number is called. Folks with priority boarding status get lower numbers. When numbers are called, I think they do a mix of numbers so that both priority numbers and regular numbers have a chance to board. It's really no big deal and seems to run pretty smoothly. There's no standing around in line - you just sit in the waiting area with coffee and snacks until your number is called.

When you check in they give you a bus number ticket stub and you wait until your number is called. Folks with priority boarding status get lower numbers. When numbers are called, I think they do a mix of numbers so that both priority numbers and regular numbers have a chance to board. It's really no big deal and seems to run pretty smoothly. There's no standing around in line - you just sit in the waiting area with coffee and snacks until your number is called.

A quick side note, if I may Carol. Those who have mobility devices (scooter, wheelchairs etc.) get first available on the bus. They can only handle one, or two, of these at a time.

We, DW, and I don't really have an issue with the busses and understand the reason for them.

And that's how it should be. Having traveled with my mobility impaired mother, the ability to transition her onto the ship easily and quickly was a huge bonus sailing out of Cape Liberty.

It's all very civilized - you get a number, you sit in the waiting area, you drink coffee, tea, juice, and cookies,and you get up to board the bus to the ship when your number is called. IMO much better than flying.

I heard that if a passenger desires, they could take some, or all of their luggage with them when boarding, instead of waiting for luggage to be delivered to their cabin. How is this handled on the bus? We wouldn't want to delay or inconvenience others.

Also, what happens if their cabin isn't ready when the passenger boards (with their luggage)? Thank you!

I heard that if a passenger desires' date=' they could take some, or all of their luggage with them when boarding, instead of waiting for luggage to be delivered to their cabin. How is this handled on the bus? We wouldn't want to delay or inconvenience others.

Also, what happens if their cabin isn't ready when the passenger boards (with their luggage)? Thank you![/quote']

When we cruised on Explorer last April, people just carried their bags with them on the bus. If your stateroom is not ready when you board, then you need to lug your bags along with you. Staterooms are normally ready about 1pm, so you could always wait until then to board.

I've carried on massive amounts of stuff. One cruise I had my mother in a wheelchair, a full sized oxygen concentrator on a dolly, a suitcase full of oxygen cylinders, a portable oxygen machine, plus two personal carryons.

Quite frankly, most folks don't want to carry on so much stuff. I think there's a rule that it has to fit through the security scanners. I haven't seen much luggage on the bus out, but I understand the bus back self disembarkation can be a mess with everyone's luggage.

Thanks Bob & 138east. Does the carry on luggage stay with the passengers for the short bus ride' date=' or is the luggage put in a storage compartment on the bus? We just want to know what to expect. Thanks again![/quote']

The luggage stays with you on the bus.

Archived