Allure cabin safe--will IPad mini fit in it?

I haven't yet been on the Oasis, but I have fit a 2009 circa Sony Vaio laptop in several freedom class safes and had more than enough room. The Ipad Mini is really small. I do not believe that putting them in the in room safe would be a problem... So, I have to call BS on this posting.....

jc

The Oasis safes are quite small, but yes, you would have no problem with a mini iPad. There is no way a full size laptop would have fit.

We always lock up our valuables, in a hotel or cruise ship. Maybe we're just more paranoid than others, but you can't trust everyone. Better safe than sorry.

I may be in the minority but have never felt the need to lock our laptop etc. in the safe...we just keep it in a cabinet/drawer in it's case.

I guess the joke is on me the day I lose my laptop, but I'm on your side in this. I don't keep it out in the open. I always make sure it isn't visible though a hotel window or an open stateroom door in this case.

I've been lucky this far.

On my next cruise I will only bring my iPad which will be a little easier to bring in a bag or easier to hide than a 15" MacBook Pro.

I also always wondering why people lock all the stuff...the safes aren't safe as them seem to be...so me just let the stuff on the table...

The problem with leaving stuff on the table, the room attendants or hotel maids for that matter would normally leave your room door wide open when they are in the middle of cleaning your room. You may trust your cabin attendants or room maids but do you trust the people walking down the corridor? People can so easily walk by your room and take whatever on the table and then carry on walking.

that's funny. I was able to fit a full size iPad in my Oasis safe. I did have to angle it though but it fit along with my phone and wallet.

ditto - i managed to fit my ipad 2 in - and had to go in at an angle but it did fit!

So no problems with ipad mini

This now has me wondering what to do with all of my camera equipment. I travel with 2-3 cameras, multiple lenses and other accessories - and my iPad. All of it fits inside a backpack, but that certainly won't fit in a room safe. Are these things "safe" being left in the room? When we go into port or to the ship's pool, I would take one of the smaller cameras so the majority of my equipment would be left in the room. I suppose leaving the backpack tucked in the closet would be my only option. :confused:

This now has me wondering what to do with all of my camera equipment. I travel with 2-3 cameras, multiple lenses and other accessories - and my iPad. All of it fits inside a backpack, but that certainly won't fit in a room safe. Are these things "safe" being left in the room? When we go into port or to the ship's pool, I would take one of the smaller cameras so the majority of my equipment would be left in the room. I suppose leaving the backpack tucked in the closet would be my only option. :confused:

Lock it in your suitcase if you need to and keep it under the bed

I also always wondering why people lock all the stuff...the safes aren't safe as them seem to be...so me just let the stuff on the table...

How do you figure that the safe isn't a better option than leaving the stuff on your table? I don't think a cabin attendant or somebody walking by your room will be able to rush in and crack the four digit code very easily. But somebody could just swipe something off the table in mere seconds. I don't think it will happen, but better SAFE than sorry.

If you are going to put an iPad into the safe, there will be no room for your DSLR. Our camera was a tight fit in the safe, I'm guessing the opening is only about 6 inches. I'd probably lock everything else in your suitcase and put it under the bed as suggested by others.

In general, I think you'd be ok if you didn't lock things up. But safes are there for a reason and to provide customers with an extra sense of security. Extra sense of security vs no security. In the end it might not make any difference, but why not take advantage of a provided service if it is minimal effort on your part? All it takes is for you to have something stolen to change how you view things and become more suspicious and vigilant. Never hurts to be extra careful.

Thanks for the info! We have always used the safe for valuables--gives peace of mind when we leave the cabin. The safe on Oasis was much smaller than we had encountered on other ships so it's good to know that the safe on Allure is large enough for a small tablet.:)

Sherri,

If you haven't already, check these locks out:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Black-Tactical-Luggage-Lock/dp/B007IXZ6Z6

It's another layer of security. I typically bring my pack in port and use this on various compartments to 'slow' a would be pickpocket. Yes, I suppose they can slash the bottom of the pack with a razor and shake the stuff out--- I have a very thick canvas backpack though. It would take quite a bit!

I also bring expensive camera equipment and just put the backpack in an empty suitcase, then slide it under the bed. Never had a problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Archived