Do not insure with Allianz Global Assist

PeterJB

My wife and I travelled earlier this year to Seattle and Anchorage as part of a planned 8 week world trip. Four weeks into the trip, we were called home when Cathy's 90 year old mother took ill suddenly. We called Allianz (with whom we took out travel insurance) and were advised to return home the cheapest way possible and keep receipts and insurance would cover cancellation costs and additional travel required due to the problem.

We returned to find our Mum had passed away while we were en-route, We later collected our documentation and submitted a travel insurance claim, only to be told that because Mum was over 85 years of age, we could not get any assistance.

Given the high number of older persons who travel, and particularly cruise, and most of us have older family members, it is absurd that an insurance company can discriminate on the basis of age. This is against human rights convention.

Please be careful to avoid Allianz Global Assist or any related company, and carefully seek out the fine print before taking on other insurers. We know following this issue that Zurich have offered to assist.

I would be keen to hear from others who have suffered at the hands of Allianz or other insurance companies for such discrimination, as we are embarking on a strong media and public awareness campaign.

:(

I saw your other post on this subject. Very sorry for your mother-in-law's loss.

An age inclusion is very common in insurance policies. When my late mother-in-law became 85 we fell into this situation. When we traveled without her, we were increasingly nervous about having to abandon a trip and race home.

As we also frequently cruised with her as helpers, we ran into the additional situation of a major cruise line refusing to allow her to cruise again not due to her age but her general health and mental condition.

I am so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law and your unpleasant experience with Allianz. As Keith so often says the most important information with regard to insurance is in the details.

We have used Allianz on more than one occasion and have actually had two different claims with them. Both were handled promptly and with great courtesy. So I don't believe the problem is with Allianz but with the way insurance companies (along with banks, stock brokers, etc.) try to maximize their profits at our expense.

I have a problem because of a pre-existing condition. Trying to find an insurance company that will cover me is quite a task. So I have great sympathy for your situation.

Art

Insurance policies (of any kind) are the "best un-read-sellers".

Of the millions :confused: sold every year, how many people (insurance pros & lawyers excluded) actually read the entire thing, cover to cover before they need it?

Its only after they need it do they look at.

Peace out!

Unfortunately too many people just give up and let insurance companies and banks have their own way and rip others off. I normally do not take action on matters like this, but as someone who is directly affected, and who sees the growing number of elderly people travelling, and with our aging demographic, something needs to be done and insurance companies like Allianz need to be brought to account for thier unscrupulous approaches

Given the high number of older persons who travel, and particularly cruise, and most of us have older family members, it is absurd that an insurance company can discriminate on the basis of age. This is against human rights convention.

:(

Insurance companies can and do discriminate on the basis of age all the time. They base rates and benefits on statistics and groups that have a higher probability of costing them money are charged more.

I carry a yearly travel policy that covers me for whenever and wherever I travel. I hit an age bump last year and they raised my rates.

Did I complain? No I am happy I can travel and I can afford the trips and insurance.

DON

I am pleased to announce that the campaign to expose the age discrimination clauses by insurance companies like Alianz is gathering momentum. A claim has been submitted to Australian Human Rights Commission, Australian Financial Ombudsman Service, and we have letters of commitment from both politicl ends that after the election, this issue will be taken up with legislative amendments.

It might be a "david and goliath" struggle to get insurance companies to trade fairly, but there are too many unwary older persons who want to travel, but are either deterred by the risk of insurance rip-offs or take the plunge, and find out they are caught after the event, by some bit of small print that is hidden deep in the PDS.

We are keen to hear from other travellers who have been caught themselves directly or due to an elderly relative falling ill, or worse stil, deceasing whilst you are either on or pre-vacation.

I am pleased to announce that the campaign to expose the age discrimination clauses by insurance companies like Alianz is gathering momentum. A claim has been submitted to Australian Human Rights Commission, Australian Financial Ombudsman Service, and we have letters of commitment from both politicl ends that after the election, this issue will be taken up with legislative amendments.

It might be a "david and goliath" struggle to get insurance companies to trade fairly, but there are too many unwary older persons who want to travel, but are either deterred by the risk of insurance rip-offs or take the plunge, and find out they are caught after the event, by some bit of small print that is hidden deep in the PDS.

We are keen to hear from other travellers who have been caught themselves directly or due to an elderly relative falling ill, or worse stil, deceasing whilst you are either on or pre-vacation.

Thanks dude,

Because you can't read or don't take the time to read,,, changes will be made.

Instead of me being able to afford insurance, just because I have relatives in the older category , my premiums will double.

My experiences with any changes brought about by government intervention has always without fail cost me more money in the long run.

Thanks dude,

Because you can't read or don't take the time to read,,, changes will be made.

Instead of me being able to afford insurance, just because I have relatives in the older category , my premiums will double.

My experiences with any changes brought about by government intervention has always without fail cost me more money in the long run.

I don't think we have too much to fear; regulatory changes in Australia are unlikely to effect the price of our policies in the US. (And in any case, I don't think our relatively pricey policies have such a clause at the current time... at least, I've never seen "old relatives" listed as a pre-ex exclusion from any major provider for a US policy, including Allianz.)

Insurance companies can and do discriminate on the basis of age all the time. They base rates and benefits on statistics and groups that have a higher probability of costing them money are charged more.

I carry a yearly travel policy that covers me for whenever and wherever I travel. I hit an age bump last year and they raised my rates.

Did I complain? No I am happy I can travel and I can afford the trips and insurance.

DON

Would you mind telling me who you use for your yearly travel policy? Are you happy with them and have you ever had to make a claim? If so were you happy with their service? I am looking for a yearly policy as we try to cruise 3 times a year and it just seems to be easier to have a yearly policy. We are mainly looking for medical/evacuation and not so much trip cancellation/interuption. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The insurance industry is already one of the most heavily regulated industries in the U.S. Anyone who thinks insurance companies can go around and arbitrarily include limitations in policies, randomly raise prices, or otherwise "rip off" the consumer should think again. Any policy changes or rate adjustments that insurance companies want to make must be approved by the State's insurance commission. That's why, in travel insurance documents (for those that read them), you'll oftentimes see a rider that notes slightly differing language for a variety of States.

Of course, there are those of you that will argue that those commissions are bought and paid for, worthless, etc. If that's what you want to believe so be it. I'll never be able to convince you otherwise.

The misconception that some people have is that insurance will cover them for anything that happens. It won't because that's not what you paid for. If it was, it would have been a lot more expensive.

Archived