Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

I love your food photos. In fact I look forward to them every day and get quite disappointed when they are not there. Can you post the recipes with the photos please?

How lovely of you to say so. :) Thanks!

I'm happy to answer anything re recipes you ask about anything I cook. I'm passionate about food and very very inquisitve hence the passion for traveling and finding out what people eat for lunch. When I find a cuisine that presents lovely food and a lot to learn I find out how to perfect it at home. I get obsessed with perfecting something and battle away with it until I have it right. I even spent time with a very popular British training chef on SS teaching him how to make chips/fries the right way .... ;)

I'm also fortunate to have a life where our work has been about thinking and being opportunistic. When I cook I think and hatch cunning plans. Most of our businesses have been managed over lunch at our homes to a great degree even when we worked with SS.

I think because I'm such a fussy eater and reasonably exacting I find I like cooking and eating and no one else as a result suffers!

Please join in the thread ... we have lots of lurkers but could do with a touch more participation and chat.

What are you eating in sunny Adelaide? Fish and chips? :D

Sunny Adelaide is cold and wet today. Having just come home from the football (Aussie Rules) I'm ashamed to admit I have had a meat pie with tomato sauce and hot chips - not very healthy but you can't beat it on a cold day. You didn't say what today's dish is. Do you make your own pasta?

Sunny Adelaide is cold and wet today. Having just come home from the football (Aussie Rules) I'm ashamed to admit I have had a meat pie with tomato sauce and hot chips - not very healthy but you can't beat it on a cold day. You didn't say what today's dish is. Do you make your own pasta?

Hi, ... I love meat pie. I just wish that a companjy would make meat pies to home baking standards. I end up making beef stew and buying pastry and doing self-assembly. I love pies.

Pasta. I fully cheated. Everything bought with me merely assembling. Here is the full confession. Waitrose/Ocado.

It's the same rich red wine beef ravioli on both plates. Beef and red wine ravioli made from free range egg pasta sauce made with tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil and basil. I can't be bothered with lasagne any more and I prefer a plate of ravioli with the cherry tomato and basil sauce covered on two layers with a bought four cheese sauce on top and baked. A sauce made with Grana Padano, provolone and mascarpone cheeses bought from Waitrose via Ocado. Waitrose Ravioli is superb. Why feel guilty? biggrin.gif

It's pretty much the same thing on both plates but mine has the cheesy sauce and is baked, the other as ravioli was as Waitrose and nature fully intended. Everything bought in and no effort.

Today, is sweet and sour chicken Hong Kong style with spring rolls, in the garden ... really looking forward to it as it is lovely and sunny today and all is quiet!

Hi, ... I love meat pie. I just wish that a companjy would make meat pies to home baking standards. I end up making beef stew and buying pastry and doing self-assembly. I love pies.

Pasta. I fully cheated. Everything bought with me merely assembling. Here is the full confession. Waitrose/Ocado.

It's the same rich red wine beef ravioli on both plates. Beef and red wine ravioli made from free range egg pasta sauce made with tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil and basil. I can't be bothered with lasagne any more and I prefer a plate of ravioli with the cherry tomato and basil sauce covered on two layers with a bought four cheese sauce on top and baked. A sauce made with Grana Padano, provolone and mascarpone cheeses bought from Waitrose via Ocado. Waitrose Ravioli is superb. Why feel guilty? biggrin.gif

It's pretty much the same thing on both plates but mine has the cheesy sauce and is baked, the other as ravioli was as Waitrose and nature fully intended. Everything bought in and no effort.

Today, is sweet and sour chicken Hong Kong style with spring rolls, in the garden ... really looking forward to it as it is lovely and sunny today and all is quiet!

I would love to have Waitrose and/or M&S Food here. We are stuck with Woolworths and Coles so not much choice for pre prepared food or sauces.

We have just returned from a lovely week in London and the weather was much warmer than we were expecting. We have never seen such large crowds in London, but it was the week of the marathon, Easter and school holidays so I guess we should have known. Still love it and will be back in August.

I would love to have Waitrose and/or M&S Food here. We are stuck with Woolworths and Coles so not much choice for pre prepared food or sauces.

We have just returned from a lovely week in London and the weather was much warmer than we were expecting. We have never seen such large crowds in London, but it was the week of the marathon, Easter and school holidays so I guess we should have known. Still love it and will be back in August.

Yes ... Coles aren't exactly a gourmet experience .....

Are you a Brit re your visits? Are you coming for a specific reason? What are you going to do?

64500E56-0FB6-4817-A3E2-23D18A8AF708_zpsxqsommpf.jpg

203CEB4E-319E-416D-B4FE-877FFEE4FA24_zpswgyqctak.jpg

Yes ... Coles aren't exactly a gourmet experience .....

Are you a Brit re your visits? Are you coming for a specific reason? What are you going to do?

64500E56-0FB6-4817-A3E2-23D18A8AF708_zpsxqsommpf.jpg

203CEB4E-319E-416D-B4FE-877FFEE4FA24_zpswgyqctak.jpg

I'm 7th generation Australian from British stock (no convicts I hasten to add) and DH is 5th generation from German stock. We have come to the UK at least once a year for the last 30+ years because a) I love it and b) DH attends a meeting somewhere in Europe. Next year it is in London so we will have even longer there. We usually try to include a cruise at the same time - we are very lucky.

I'm 7th generation Australian from British stock (no convicts I hasten to add) and DH is 5th generation from German stock. We have come to the UK at least once a year for the last 30+ years because a) I love it and b) DH attends a meeting somewhere in Europe. Next year it is in London so we will have even longer there. We usually try to include a cruise at the same time - we are very lucky.

That's interesting.

When you visit the UK, what aspects of the UK ..or London, if it's confined to London ... do you most miss when you return home? What would you most like to take home with you if you could?

Unlurking for a moment! I too enjoy the food pix - probably the only thing I am looking forward to upon our imminent permanent return to the UK (after 33 years) is Waitrose and M&S ready made meals (we won't have cooking utensils etc for 8 weeks LOL).

Back to lurking

Mary

Interesting that there has been no comment about the absent peas

No peas today ....:)

Unlurking for a moment! I too enjoy the food pix - probably the only thing I am looking forward to upon our imminent permanent return to the UK (after 33 years) is Waitrose and M&S ready made meals (we won't have cooking utensils etc for 8 weeks LOL).

Back to lurking

Mary

Mary ... just when I think no one is interested in the food piccies and I feel like stopping ... someone says "hello".

Welcome back to blighty. Thought you'd enjoy our sunday lunch .... looking forward to hearing about your first "shop"!

8B178EC2-0763-43A0-A2FD-AD985A806095_zpstwhnpiwy.jpg

18EC28CC-5EBC-485C-935C-A99B345046EA_zps43oyvppu.jpg

FDFB9F03-970C-4784-8FFA-532FACCAA4D1_zpsum5kpi0k.jpg

C0C7214A-4976-415B-82FE-7910D39392E8_zpsglg1502x.jpg

How do you cook that cut of meat ...and what is it called

Obviously was delish !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

it's 30 day air aged sirloin! I caramelise the surface by frying on a smoking skillet and then cooked it at 160 in a convection oven for 1 hour. Internal temp was around 125. It increased out of the oven to 140 degrees and I rest it for 15 minutes. That makes it medium. It was wonderful. :)

it's 30 day air aged sirloin! I caramelise the surface by frying on a smoking skillet and then cooked it at 160 in a convection oven for 1 hour. Internal temp was around 125. It increased out of the oven to 140 degrees and I rest it for 15 minutes. That makes it medium. It was wonderful. :)

It looks delicious!:) enjoying your mouth-watering pics, always look around lunchtime as they get my appetite going...l shall of course blame you if l put weight on!;)

Sophia

It looks delicious!:) enjoying your mouth-watering pics, always look around lunchtime as they get my appetite going...l shall of course blame you if l put weight on!;)

Sophia

Hi Sophia, how lovely of you to say so ..... I love looking at other peoples' lunch pics ... I know it makes no sense ... so It's nice to meet someone who also enjoys!

Re blaming me for you putting on weight. All I can say is that when I met my wife she was ..... a size 6. She was so small she couldn't buy trousers that fitted, and on one of our first dates I cut her a pair exactly her size. They were lovely. Can't use a sewing machine for love nor money but I graded a good pattern, and her mum sewed them together and from then on she was smitten. She is still really small...... and lovely, ... and she eats all I cook. She is on the odd piccy. I mean the piccy being odd - not her!

Today is going to be very English snack I'm afraid ... and tomorrow.

What are you eating today?

Hi Sophia, how lovely of you to say so ..... I love looking at other peoples' lunch pics ... I know it makes no sense ... so It's nice to meet someone who also enjoys!

Today is going to be very English snack I'm afraid ... and tomorrow.

What are you eating today?

Well l love looking at food pics too and this is a lovely thread.

Today's lunch was an iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, crouton and a sprinkling of Parmesan....and smoked salmon....it reminds me if being on the Wind last month...:) although not quite the same when one has to do it at home!

Sophia

The first "shop" will be interesting as I will be very very jetlagged and under those conditions always end up buying lots of things I don't need and forgetting the ones I do need.

At least I will have a clean slate to start with!

Just so long as I remember the correct kibble for our fur baby that's all that matters!

M

Well l love looking at food pics too and this is a lovely thread.

Today's lunch was an iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing, bacon bits, crouton and a sprinkling of Parmesan....and smoked salmon....it reminds me if being on the Wind last month...:) although not quite the same when one has to do it at home!

Sophia

Sophia, for a terribly moment I thought when you said wind ....... :eek:

Where is home?

The first "shop" will be interesting as I will be very very jetlagged and under those conditions always end up buying lots of things I don't need and forgetting the ones I do need.

At least I will have a clean slate to start with!

Just so long as I remember the correct kibble for our fur baby that's all that matters!

M

I have a terrible habit of over-ordering.

QED. Todays lunch.

9C650967-7B9C-460A-A7DE-246C43E64C5A_zpscwifvazz.jpg

My goodness that's a lot of food at lunch time but still no peas!

I like the tablemat - that would make a lovely cross stitch pattern.

M

Far too much.

Where will your UK base be? Anywhere near good food ... as well as Waitrose?