Transatlantic temperature

Cruiser Craig

We did a transatlantic in 2011. The weather was beautiful all the way. Maybe just a little chilly at night at the beginning but war to hot after we got about halfway across. No rough seas either.

We loved the whole trip . Enjoy!!!

We did a transatlantic in 2011. The weather was beautiful all the way. Maybe just a little chilly at night at the beginning but war to hot after we got about halfway across. No rough seas either.

We loved the whole trip . Enjoy!!!

Same experience as mamamzee. Temps were mid to high 70's each day, nights were in the 60's, high 50's. Mostly sunny, calm seas and winds 10-15 mph. Only disappointment was missing the private island on the next to last day. (Seas too rough, good call by the captain.)

Your experience could be totally different, nobody can predict the weather. After 10 perfect days last fall on another cruise, had to miss Livorno because of a major storm and sailed direct to Barcelona. You never know.

My Rome to Ft. Lauderdale departing October 31 was too hot in the western Med ports. The crossing was from warm to hot most days. It was comfortable sitting outside on starboard; port side was too hot.

When we did the T.A. in the Prinsendam back in October/November 2009 we had fantastic weather crossing the Atlantic. It was sunny and warm every day and the sea was just so calm.

We also had warm weather in our two ports in Spain and one in Portugal as well as Lanzarote, Santa Cruz de la Palma and Madeira. We had cooler weather in St. Tropez and Toulon as well as in Sicily but Sardinia, Malta and Tunisia were all warm. Athens started off warm but the day we embarked the ship it was cold.

It was a 26 day cruise and commenced towards the end of October. We arrived into Ft. Lauderdale a day or two before Thanksgiving so we were mainly cruising in November. Unfortunately, we did arrive back to a wet day in Ft. Lauderdale though.

Jennie

We're considering taking a transatlantic cruise this fall. Does anyone know what the temperture is normally like between Spain and Florida late October through early November? Thank you!

We too are sailing Oct. 31 from Rome. Never have done this at this time of year. I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like it might be wet.

We too are sailing Oct. 31 from Rome. Never have done this at this time of year. I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like it might be wet.

No one controls the weather or can predict it - but we have done several fall and spring transatlantics.

Verdict - fall - beautiful weather even if it was late in the season. Maybe rainy one day on the whole thing. that was it:)

Spring - beautiful weather - cool one day - the rest great.

My first transatlantic took only 5 days - the ship took a more direct route. Now the ships seem to take a route that encourages smooth seas (no guarantees though - no one controls king neptune) and good weather.

Just our experience only - no wonder we love transatlantics:D

On our westbound TA in 2011, we were crossing from La Gomera to Half Moon Cay during Thanksgiving week and had warm temperatures and blue skies. Last year, while crossing from Funchal to Fort Lauderdale during the first full week of November, we were unable to use our verandah as the seas were rough and the air much cooler.

And we had a wonderful time on both cruises.

We're considering taking a transatlantic cruise this fall. Does anyone know what the temperture is normally like between Spain and Florida late October through early November? Thank you!

I remember asking this same question and got the whole range of answers - depends being the most frequent. We had a very pleasant smooth passage on the Maasdam, but the Nieuw Amsterdam that followed us just a few days later had a pretty rugged time with rain and storms. One of those pays your money and takes your chances things unfortunately. Prepare for both, but we loved that trip and nothing would keep us from doing more TA's.

We took the TA in Nov 2012 from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. Here are the daily weather details from the "official cruise log":

10/29/2012 - Barcelona - Clear skies, 64 degrees F.

10/30/2012 - At Sea - Partly cloudy, 68 degrees F.

10/31/2012 - Cadiz - Partly cloudy, 61 degrees F.

11/1/2012 - Lisbon - Partly cloudy, 73 degrees F.

11/2/2012 - At Sea - Overcast skies, 70 degrees F.

11/3/2012 - Funchal - Partly cloudy, 72 degrees F.

11/4/2012 - At Sea - Cloudy skies, 77 degrees F. (we sailed through some showers)

11/5/2012 - At Sea - Partly cloudy, 75 degrees F.

11/6/2012 - At Sea - Partly cloudy, 77 degrees F.

11/7/2012 - At Sea - Partly cloudy, 79 degrees F.

11/8/2012 - At Sea - Partly cloudy, 81 degrees F.

11/9/2012 - At Sea - Partly cloudy, 75 degrees F.

11/10/2012 - At Sea - Partly cloudy, 72 degrees F.

11/11/2012 - Ft Lauderdale - Clear skies, 76 degrees F.

We took th TA in Nov 2011 from Venice to Ft Lauderdale and experienced similar weather. I don't have the cruise log handy or I'd provide that data. In both 2012 and 2011, we experienced rough seas and some rain after leaving Cadiz for one or two days. Not a total rain-out, but showers now and then. We really enjoyed both TA cruises and will definitely do another. Enjoy!

We did the TA on Noordam in 2010, not all temperatures are listed in the Cruise Log, but here are what was listed on our fantastic TA, we remember smooth seas and high temperatures almost all of the way, except for a windy stretch during our nightly transit from Livorno to Monte Carlo and some cloudy weather in Barcelona, but all reasonable temperatures. Otherwise, all of the crossing were smooth seas and fair temperatures;

Monday 18th October departure Civitavecchia (not listed)

Tuesday 19th October Livorno (not listed)

Wednesday 20th October Monte Carlo (not listed)

Thursday 21st October Barcelona (not listed)

Friday 22nd October Cartagena (not listed)

Saturday 23rd October Malaga (not listed)

Sunday 24th October Cadiz (not listed)

Monday 25th October Sea 22C/72F

Tuesday 26th October Funchal (not listed)

Wednesday 27th October Sea 22C/72F

Thursday 28th October Sea 22C/72F

Friday 29th October Sea 24C/76F

Saturday 30th October Sea 24C/76F

Sunday 31st October Sea 24C/76F

Monday 1st November Sea 25C/77F

Tuesday 2nd November Sea 26C/79F

Wednesday 3rd Arrival FLL

I do not know at what time of the day the temperatures are recorded, but the day before arriving in FLL, temperature actually exceeded 81F.

Wow...thank you everyone for the detailed answers. This is helpful. I guess it means packing a few more clothes much to my husband's dismay. He always thinks I pack too much. . Sounds like it could still be warm.

My apt. reservation was just confirmed! ! At the Crown Orsetto. Does anyone know it? It is at the Piazza Navona.

We have done many TAs and the bottom line is that it can be anything from warm (70s to low 80s) sunny and gorgeous, to chilly (low 60s) rainy and miserable...or any combination of the two. In addition, sea conditions can be anything from glassy (had quite a few crossings with very calm seas) to downright rough (30+ foot seas). As to packing, we check the weather forecast at the last minute, but still pack enough layers to be able to handle nearly everything.

Hank

Wow...thank you everyone for the detailed answers. This is helpful. I guess it means packing a few more clothes much to my husband's dismay. He always thinks I pack too much. . Sounds like it could still be warm.

My apt. reservation was just confirmed! ! At the Crown Orsetto. Does anyone know it? It is at the Piazza Navona.

Hmmm. I can tell you that DW and I have spent a lot of time in Rome and the Piazza Navona is our favorite spot in the entire city :). There are a few restaurant/cafes with lots of outdoor tables and we will often spend hours at one of those cafes just relaxing and people watching. The center of this piazza is rules by the famous Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of the Four Rivers) which is one of largest and most beautiful fountains in the Rome.

Hank

I appreciate all of the great feedback. It sounds as if the verdict is: anticipate warmth, plan for some chilliness and fill up that already half-full glass of optimism with rainwater, weather permitting. Until happy hour. Then go inside and change glasses. ;)

I appreciate all of the great feedback. It sounds as if the verdict is: anticipate warmth, plan for some chilliness and fill up that already half-full glass of optimism with rainwater, weather permitting. Until happy hour. Then go inside and change glasses. ;)

Right on.....

Also checking in from the P'dam 2009 crossing. Aussie Gal did a fine job of reporting. (How is it our paths never crossed on the ship?) I just want to add that if you are a sun-worshipper be sure to choose a port-side cabin so you get the all-day sunlight on your verandah. No verandah, no problem. Plenty of places to relax in sunlight on Lower Prom or the Lido.

Also checking in from the P'dam 2009 crossing. Aussie Gal did a fine job of reporting. (How is it our paths never crossed on the ship?) I just want to add that if you are a sun-worshipper be sure to choose a port-side cabin so you get the all-day sunlight on your verandah. No verandah, no problem. Plenty of places to relax in sunlight on Lower Prom or the Lido.

I started the Roll Call on that cruise and organized the Meet and Greet. I still have the Roll Call but your name isn't on it. We had a lovely group of Cruise Critic passengers and did a lot of private tours together. I still keep in contact with quite a few of them and we are travelling on the Noordam in October with a couple we met on the ship through C.C. We also spent 16 lovely days with them in June on the Ocean Princess cruise "Land of the Midnight Sun" to the top of Norway.

Jennie

I started the Roll Call on that cruise and organized the Meet and Greet. I still have the Roll Call but your name isn't on it. We had a lovely group of Cruise Critic passengers and did a lot of private tours together. I still keep in contact with quite a few of them and we are travelling on the Noordam in October with a couple we met on the ship through C.C. We also spent 16 lovely days with them in June on the Ocean Princess cruise "Land of the Midnight Sun" to the top of Norway.

Jennie

Hello. What cruise are you on? We are on the Noordam leaving Civi. Oct. 31.

Are you on the Roll Call?

Hello. What cruise are you on? We are on the Noordam leaving Civi. Oct. 31.

Are you on the Roll Call?

We board the Noordam on the 9th October in Rome and finish our cruise in Rome on the 31st October so we will miss meeting you.

I have organized the first Roll Call from the 9th to the 18th October which finishes in Athens and then someone else is in charge of the Roll Call from 18th to the 31st October which is the Athens to Rome section.

You need to find the T.A. Roll Call which commences on the 31st October to have your names added to that. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1635219

Jennie

We board the Noordam on the 9th October in Rome and finish our cruise in Rome on the 31st October so we will miss meeting you.

I have organized the first Roll Call from the 9th to the 18th October which finishes in Athens and then someone else is in charge of the Roll Call from 18th to the 31st October which is the Athens to Rome section.

You need to find the T.A. Roll Call which commences on the 31st October to have your names added to that. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1635219

Jennie

Thanks. I'm on that Roll Call too. Not much action on it though.

Archived