Another question Re:airfare

amd1234

I know fellow cruisers are now checking airfares for next June and I thought I would give some questions and feedback.. We cruise the Castle on the Rhine leaving June 29 Amsterdam to Basel.. I have spent hrs checking fares. Why can't the airlines give people a reasonable fare for a one way ticket? There is a non stop Bos to Amsterdam(Delta)great time but the return Basel to Bos a 2 and half layover in Amsterdam but the time is 6:30 am flight. We really hate to be leaving the ship in the middle of the night! Trying to find flights leaving Basel has been really difficult. The fare for Delta round trip right now is $2400 for two and If I split up the segments the cost is very expensive. Any suggestions?

are on a Zurich to Amsterdam cruise on Avalon...The hotel they use is near the Zurich airport..We intend to spend a few days in Zurich than have Avalon transfer us to Basel....I've seen some good flights/prices on Delta from the west coast.

I don't understand why you need a one way ticket. How are you doing your search? We use Delta all the time on these so called open jaw flights (arrive at one city and return from a different city). Are you showing multi-city when you begin your search? When choosing that option you should be able to show your first flight as departing from your home to Amsterdam and show your second flight as departing from Basel to your home city. No one way ticket needed as the one way portion will be combined with the other part of the ticket.

If I am misunderstanding your concern then just ignore this.

I am using the multi search. I probably wasn't clear regarding my question. I prefer Delta flight non stop segment departing but wish to take the return with another airline. That would require a one way with Delta a very costly flight. I was looking For a return from Basel at a reasonable time not 6:30 am..

Well thanks to everyone who has responded to my questions on airfare. I think we will probably fly Icelandic Air Bos to Amsterdam return Zurich, Iceland to Bos. No long layovers and the price is $2500 for two.. Not my first choice but now we will probably stay a day in Zurich.

Should we book now or wait that is the question? I doubt if prices will go down!

We are looking at June 2014.....

Zurich is a fantastic city, easy to use their tram system, too. The airport in Zurich is well organized, lots of shops and dining options post security.

With fuel costs increasing, airlines adding fees, and gov't taxes, etc., grab the tickets when you can.

We took the train from Lucerne to Zurich; got tram passes at the train station and took the tram to our hotel, the Renaissance, because it was closer to the airport and offered an inexpensive transfer for our morning flight. We rode the trams for three days and never asked for our tickets.

Enjoy your river cruise.

Darcy

Yes, two days would give you time to explore the city, tour on your own. Fun walking the main street - high end shops, parks, museum, take a boat ride on the lake. Don't forget they do not use the EU in Switzerland, Swiss Franc. Easier to use my cap one card, no foreign transaction fee, and charge in their currency and let the bank handle the interchange rate. Oh, since we don't have the chip & pin cards in the US, purchasing train tickets at a kiosk can't be done, so you have to do it in person at a window. Same process when you arrive in AMS - pick up EU's at the ATM outside of immigration/customs, then go to the train window, buy a ticket into AMS, take the elevator down to the platform and board the train to Centraal Station.

Darcy

Archived