Corkage Fee??

Lauranne

Now I am really confused! Cat 2610 in her recent Alaska Westerdam review

twice said that she took wine from her room. Once for the sailaway and another to the dining room. She said in post #39

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1885530&page=2

"Notice the glass of wine. I brought this from our room with the glasses provided by our steward. No corkage fee for wine already poured before you came into the dining room. I guess they can't tell if you got that glass at a bar or in your room."

I thought that you had to pay corkage if you take any wine (that you brought on board) outside of your stateroom.

Please clarify for me.

Now I am really confused! Cat 2610 in her recent Alaska Westerdam review

twice said that she took wine from her room. Once for the sailaway and another to the dining room. She said in post #39

"Notice the glass of wine. I brought this from our room with the glasses provided by our steward. No corkage fee for wine already poured before you came into the dining room. I guess they can't tell if you got that glass at a bar or in your room."

I thought that you had to pay corkage if you take any wine (that you brought on board) outside of your stateroom.

Please clarify for me.

Well, you should pay the corkage. What was done here is sneaky and has led to the restriction of bringing on wine over one per person per cabin. Definitely taints those of us who are happy to pay corkage and not "cheat" :mad: I've never brought a glass of our cabin wine to dinner and will never do so as that is just not right.

I guess they can't tell if you got that glass at a bar or in your room."
She's fooling herself. The stewards can tell, because the room glasses are slightly different from the MDR and bar glasses. They just didn't say anything to embarrass her. :mad:

There are so many who wonder why HAL is changing their very liberal wine policy. Could it possibly be because so many brag about avoiding any corkage fee? Perhaps the frustration of those who don't like the new and more restrictive policy should be aimed at those cruisers rather than at HAL.

This is the perfect example of what I said in another post about folks mixing their own cocktails (liquor) in their room from HAL purchased liquor and taking them out an about all around the ship. HAL will get wise to it, and change the liquor rules as well........beware.

If you are breaking the rules, it is best no one finds out.

But it is really advisable that you don't break the rules at all. It will come back to haunt you, and in fact, will make it less than happy for ALL of us.

So let me get this straight. If you purchase HAL liquor and HAL mix you can't take it out of your room but if you pay corkage on wine you can. What if I purchase a bottle of wine from room service, can I take a glass to sit by the pool or stand by the rail to watch whales?

So let me get this straight. If you purchase HAL liquor and HAL mix you can't take it out of your room but if you pay corkage on wine you can. What if I purchase a bottle of wine from room service, can I take a glass to sit by the pool or stand by the rail to watch whales?

Liquor is a different animal........they tell you it is for "stateroom consumption only". Draw your own limitations on that rule..........

There are so many who wonder why HAL is changing their very liberal wine policy. Could it possibly be because so many brag about avoiding any corkage fee? Perhaps the frustration of those who don't like the new and more restrictive policy should be aimed at those cruisers rather than at HAL.

It would be difficult for them to do so because the usual HAL cheerleaders swear that they've never seen this happen and therefore it isn't really a problem. :rolleyes:

. She said in post #39

:

Absolutely foolhardy and just plain rude. She absolutely knows that corkage fee is on a bottle not glass. Ugh. How did i miss this review?

Archived