Port or Starboard - Easy Way to Remember

resstation

I've been reading several posts where the poster mentions not knowing which is which in reference to port or starboard. The easiest way to remember is that the word "port" has four letters, just like the word "left". So, when facing toward the front of the ship, port is on your left. Easy!

I've been reading several posts where the poster mentions not knowing which is which in reference to port or starboard. The easiest way to remember is that the word "port" has four letters, just like the word "left". So, when facing toward the front of the ship, port is on your left. Easy!

Trouble is which way is forward? Especially when in corridor with no view of the sea, or when ship is in port, or moving slowly.

Port (left) odd numbered staterooms... starboard (right) even numbered staterooms. Numbers count up from bow (front) to stern (back). So if you get off an elevator and you're confused, look at one side or the other. If you're facing even numbered staterooms, the bow is to your left. If you're facing odd numbered staterooms, the bow is to your right... and the numbers will count down as to go to the bow.

:)

Yep! I grew up boating and that was how my dad taught me :)

Trouble is which way is forward? Especially when in corridor with no view of the sea, or when ship is in port, or moving slowly.

On Celebrity ships if the MDR is behind you, you're going forward.

Port (left) odd numbered staterooms... starboard (right) even numbered staterooms.as to go to the bow.

:)

That is true on Celebrity, but not on some cruise lines. :)

Also some cruise lines have different colored carpets for port & starboard passageways. Worst case is look at at wall signs - often needed in hotels. Good luck - we still get turned around once in a while - our senior moment, ha!

I get turned around all the time! To remember that port is left side of ship, I recall that port wine is red, red=Communist Russia in the old days of the Cold War, hence Communism is to the left of the political ideology.

Can you tell I'm a baby boomer (grew up during Cold War era) & that I teach Social Stuides? My method is involved, yes, but it works for me.

My seagoing father was a man of few words. He said "hold up your left hand. That's port." Then he took me out in a rowboat and taught me to row. Pull to port, pull to starboard. Of all the things he tried to teach me, that one stuck.

That is true on Celebrity, but not on some cruise lines. :)

Indeed e.g. on the Holland America Ships starboard is uneven, portside even.

Some ships have carpet in corridors with fish patterns. The fish are always swimming forward toward the bow. Another little known fact is you are "Officially" supposed to travel forward only on the starboard side and aft on port. This is especially effective during emergencies...Cheers and happy trails to you.

Some ships have carpet in corridors with fish patterns. The fish are always swimming forward toward the bow. Another little known fact is you are "Officially" supposed to travel forward only on the starboard side and aft on port. This is especially effective during emergencies...Cheers and happy trails to you.

That could a long walk on a S class, if you are just past the stairs and on the port side all the way to aft before you cross to the starboard corridor to make your way to stairs :eek: :p

Some ships have carpet in corridors with fish patterns. The fish are always swimming forward toward the bow. ...Cheers and happy trails to you.

Yes, I think that is on NCL, the fish are a big help. I wish all ships would also use a different carpet color on port and starboard.

Yes, I think that is on NCL, the fish are a big help. I wish all ships would also use a different carpet color on port and starboard.

Thanks for that, I was on an NCL ship and thought it was glass bottom, :D

Archived